Angel Beats! - Visual Novel Details & Ongoing Speculation

I didn’t see you guys talking about it, so… Did you know about Yuri’s profile on the official vn website?

Source: http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/angelbeats/common/image/character_yuri_image.png

CV: Eri Kitamura

3 Likes

Oh snap! o_o
I had no idea~ Nice catchu!

Edit: Another note- This illustration looks very odd to me. The color is flat, or as @Kanon said, ‘soft’.

Edit edit: I think you just got something you weren’t supposed to get. Hahaha

Edit edit edit: ERI KITAMURA?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!

Oh whatever: I found that image posted elsewhere in March. It’s rather dated, but seemed to have just slipped past a lot of people. Interesting none-the-less. It may be void as of now, however.

2 Likes

Maybe this profile was hidden on purpose and fans could speculate.

As you say, colors are simples and little elaborate.

By the way, Yuri drawing was drawn in 2010.

View Yuri’s profile: http://www.angelbeats.jp/chara/

Drawings are the same.

Hmmmm, that drawing is far more detailed, but it is the same pose. Very interesting!

I think it was put up briefly and then taken back down due to some sort of change at Key/Visual Arts in regards to the marketing plan for the Angel Beats VN. Could be any number of things, one being the plan to not reuse those drawings. Masami, Yui and Matsushita all have entirely new illustrations- Or even holding onto those character descriptions until their respective volume is released.

1 Like

Maybe.

I compared both profiles and are exactly the same: the same kanjis, the same words, the same description, and the same quote.

Iwasawa, Matsushita and Yui’s profiles in both, anime and vn websites, are differentes.

It’s weird :scream:

1 Like

Adding in more discussion here, because why not! Pretty sure starting next month, we’ll be discussing it even more :wink:

Anyways, what I want to discuss is related to this topic I made some time ago: Individual routes having bearing on main story: significant or not?

In other words, do you think that the Angel Beats VN is going to have the character routes give bearing to the main story? Will the success of the true route depend on the success of the character routes? Or will they just be all side routes showing an alternate ending?

While thinking about this, I also thought about the fact that, well, the anime exists. Under the assumption that they won’t invalidate everything that happened in the anime (which they could!), how will they put it in? Will the anime story be just one route (likely Kanade route)?

Or will all routes be part of the anime timeline
BEGIN SECTION ASSUMING THAT ROUTES HAPPEN IN THE ORDER OF THE ANIME TIMELINE
For example, Iwasawa’s route could be something that you choose to go into, and get more information about, allowing you to witness her disappearance in episode 3. After her ending, you will be booted back into common, to continue and go into, possibly Yui’s route (episode 10) and maybe Matsushita’s route occurs before he goes training in the mountains, and so on

If that is the case, then one route does not necessarily mean character disappearance after the end of the route. For one, the entirety of GDM disappears at the same time, which would mean the events that happen in Sekine/Irie/Hisako route must happen before that instant. Then the rest of the SSS members, who disappear in the 3-day period after the final battle. Unless the bulk of the routes happen in this 3-day period, then the routes must happen before that, which, again, would not necessarily mean that route end = character disappearance.
END SECTION

That was just a thought, though, which is unlikely to happen.
What is more likely is that the anime is just one route, whereas the other routes follow a different timeline.
If that’s the case, then we will see the disappearance of characters outside their own routes. So only the route consistent with the anime would have to show the disappearances as they occurred in the anime.

In that case, I’m willing to scrap the idea of everyone disappearing after the final battle and have them disappear in a different way in the individual routes. But then we are brought again to my main point: will these alternate timelines be brought together somehow for the true route?

Like I said, these are all assuming that they won’t invalidate the anime just because they are making a superior VN for the series. AB is a mixed media project, after all, and each form of media contributes to the story as a whole; none of these are an “adaptation” or “reinvention” of the other.

I think they have to scrap the anime serie’s storyline and main story to some extent because the essence of VNs, especially from Key, counteract the story given by the anime. Near the end of the anime series we saw that after Otonashi started to like Kanage and Hinata liking Yui, the shadows began to attack because there is love in the world which is forbidden. Also Iwasawa’s disappearance is all the way back in episode 3. So if Iwasawa’s path includes mutual love between eachother, you’re going to mess up timing the storyline the anime presents. And after looking at the preview CGs, there seems to be a lot of hugging and ill be damned if there’s no love in that route.

I think it has been confirmed that the love in the world that caused the shadows to begin attacking was actually from Yuri and her love for SSS. Hinata x Yui and Otonashi x Kanade may or may not have had any part in it, but Yuri was the main cause, for sure

Which makes sense, though. I think it’d be pretty silly if romantic love was not allowed, because if a person’s regrets was not being able to fall in love, then the world would be flawed. Yuri’s love, on the other hand, was the love for the current situation; her love was for the SSS that was in the world they are in. And that’s something that the world wouldn’t allow, because the people in that world simply cannot stay there forever

For clarity, the forced rule of ‘no love’ set in place by the Shadow Program is to prevent the creation of an eternal eden. The comical thing here is the the Programmer made this so, not God, per se, but someone playing God, ie Naoi’s perspective. The AI tells Yuri it’s her fault, but it’s still kinda wishy washy. Just highly probable. It’s all very confusing.

Anyways the idea of it being more kinetic and not route by route is interesting, but I think that would destroy the fun of having vastly different commons, which is one of their pressing points. When you force an order via release order you ruin it, more or less. Would seem extremely stupid to me for it play it out common > route > common > route ie Steins;Gate. I’m leaning towards routes being ‘irrelevant’ to the main story (which to me is still highly disagreeable and literally seems impossible to me when it comes to AB!)

What if, after each route was completed, assuming it ends with the character disappearing, when you restart the next common, that character is gone. Then you have to go through every route until all characters are gone, only certain characters are left, etc. Then you get the true end.

Don’t know if that kind of structure would even be viable, but it kinda sounds cool.

Whatever they decide to do, the world just seems to connected for the routes to just be completely irrelevant to each other.

I think it would be like that because it was the exactly the same in the anime. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a forced playlist similar in Rewrite how you had to finish, say for an example, Chihaya’s route in order to do Senri’s route.

Well that’s gonna be forced in a different way since it’s gonna be a 6 volume release

1 Like

It’s viable and has also been done before (Cross Channel).

I think this is interesting and would provide a similar mood as the anime, but I’m also of the opinion that the anime is going to be highly irrelevant with the exception of certain events themselves (not the people involved) and obv. the setting.

The idea of it being like a ‘true route’, or even just Kanade, however, I think is more viable. The idea of true route being something entirely different is also possible, to me. I find the animes place in canon is rather low and can be viewed more as a very unique route, even, as opposed to a true representation of the story for reasons.

True. But how forced is dependent on the VNs structure. If it’s like a normal Key VN, it’s not really a problem at all tbh.

It’d probably work fairly well as the kanade route, yes. I would like to see the true route of the vn as something a bit grander, tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like some little busters shit right there

Isn’t Angel Beats a sort of build upon from LB?

If anyone read the 4Koma remembers that arc where Maeda makes fun of himself by running away to the school and getting his idea for AB from the LB gang. I wish i got a cooler full of drumsticks :cry:

2 Likes

I don’t remember that happening at all. My copy must have been borked or something…

From the CGs we have seen, it follows quite far into the anime. While the anime route may not be in the VN, I think it’s a good event chain to base the VN on. It’d just branch off in different places~

Confirmed for Operation Wars adaptation.

1 Like

Clearly they are just using VN sprites for cards to get as much use out of them as possible.

Actually these aren’t VN sprites. These are official illustrations they used for magazine purposes such as Dengeki. They had CG on the left for every character and it’s been used for like advertising purposes for Angel Beats! It’s been made since they were first originally airing the anime.

So in the PV they classify AB! as an “Adventure Game”, any idea what that entails?