Angel Beats! - General Discussion

You mean the manga? I read a bit of it, but I stopped reading it because I was put off by Yurippe’s personality.

What?! But the kicking-people-off-roofs trait is so endearing! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m probably not the only one who’s said this, but she’s too much like Haruhi Suzumiya. And I just don’t like Haruhi Suzumiya.

MY OH TEE PEEEEEEEEE

The Manga made me REALLY like Yuri. Lol. She’s an amazing combination of strength and determination- And fear of failure. My Fem-Kyousuke <3 I don’t see the relation of her to Haruhi any more than Coke to Pepsi.

They’re sugary soft drinks but they’re most certainly different beverages.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really get the Haruhi thing. She looks kinda similar I guess, but she’s not a god or a chuunibyou. She may be bossy, but she’s never unreasonable - she’s just taking the actions she deems necessary to accomplish her goals. And for the most part, the team respects and admires her strength. I don’t really see the connection.

No, not in contrast to the anime we got, but in contrast to the concept and meanings as a whole. If Angel Beats had been written to fit perfectly into 13 episodes, it wouldn’t have been Angel Beats.

[quote=“Pepe, post:299, topic:728”]
I think what he means by “amazing” is that it has immense story potential. A short and sweet story would be “amazing” in an informal sense (very impressive; excellent) but it wouldn’t be “amazing” in a literal sense (causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing)
[/quote]This is exactly what I meant. To me, as a personally opinion, Angel Beats has the potential to be my favorite thing ever. Being 13 episodes would not have allowed it to have the qualities, the meaning, that I love so much about it.

[quote=“Pepe, post:299, topic:728”]
They could have made Angel Beats as 26 episodes and it’d still be lackluster.
[/quote]I in fact think I would have been. Well, not lackluster. It could have been a ton more expanded and polished. But I still doubt it would have been able to include everything Maeda has in mind. Clannad was 49 episodes and it still was missing a bunch of stuff from the VN. Maeda had a huge VN size story that he was trying to fit into an anime. It just doesnt work.

The Angel Beats anime most certainly would have been better if it was written for a 13-episode size story. But, like I said, it would have (probably) been complete, and we would (probably) have never gotten what we are getting today.

Angel Beats! was intended to begin with Hinata, ie Track Zero, and that content is still being made! Not to mention that the integral 3 days of backstories was still never shown, and that would have taken a lotttttt of episodes. Even at 46 I think AB! would have had some problems. The story is just not easy to put into anime. Maeda bit off more than he could chew going for anime with this and I think he had to accept that.

1 Like

Well, that’s why they’re making the VN, right? Since it’s obvious to Maeda at this point that he can’t fit so many characters’ backstories into a 13-episode anime, writing a VN (something he has more than enough experience doing at this point) that’s at least twice the length of CLANNAD, if not longer, should do the trick.

Just a heads up for now that moving forward to the very close release of -1st beat- I’ll be rolling out character discussion topics for this series and updating this topic here to make it an even better hub! <3

2 Likes

So as usual I was getting into the “dark” side of youtube, and i stummbled across this,

Making of “Angel Beats!” Full: How Anime is Made
Can’t believe that I’ve never seen it before.

1 Like

there is a really good timeline image that tries to explain it.

because of the time difference, there are a few different theories. some say that she has been there so long that time repeated itself (personally I find that to be a bit over the top, but possible given the multiple theories of time before the Big Bang.) In the end however, it really comes down to explaining the middle portion of the timeline.

What’s this ‘limbo’ that’s never been referenced before in any way? Can’t we just conclude that the AB! world doesn’t sync up with the real world’s time and be done with it?

1 Like

It’s just one theory. I just hope they explain it or go in detail about the events in the VN.

I guess I should just say, read Heaven’s Door :V

1 Like

That would help. I’m being dumb and waiting for the 10th volume to come out before I start reading it. (Even though I already own all of them)

Me, @Pepe and @NotKyon were talking and think that a good idea might be to discuss the nature of the after life. Such as the explanation as to why they can create anything out of dirt. We are not looking to find the true answer to many of the questions that may be posted, but theories or logical explanations to why they occur. All ideas and theories are welcome.

This actually interests me pretty heavily. Firstly, how can they create anything out of dirt? The only prerequisite seems to be that they have to know the internal structure of the item. Also, why must it be dirt? Is it because the dirt in the afterlife has special properties and is one of the only “natural” substances on their plane?

And then there was the whole thing about (anime spoilers) them theorizing that Angel Player works the same way that they make guns. If they were able to make factories that can “mass produce” earth, then whoever made Angel Player, who obviously was in the afterlife way longer than they were, was able to use the process to make a “digital” interface to it..

If anything, I would theorize that this ability was something intended by the world’s “creator”, if there actually is one. This begs the question: why? I think we can agree that the whole point of the world is to help solve the regrets of the people residing in it. Is it because this mechanic could help solve somebody’s regrets? (i.e. his regret in life was not being able to create something while alive)?

We could still argue if a creator actually exists but that’s a topic for another day :stuck_out_tongue:

Dirt: Do we know whether it’s dirt specifically yet? For example, could they take a tree and turn that into a weapon or whatever else as well? Whatever they can use has the property of being transmutable at will. Almost like it’s merely data.

Angel Player: There’s the potential that this is something that existed with the world. It might just be my (mis)interpretation of AB!, but it seems to me that the world was created – programmed if you will.

Both of these, among other factors (such as time being unlimited), imply to me that the afterlife might be nearly equivalent to a computer simulation. I’m not saying that it is literally a computer simulation though. For example, in Isaac Asimov’s The Last Question the Multivac at some point exists outside of time-and-space – its processing occurs there. This might be similar in nature, to the point where it’s practical (though not necessarily precise or even accurate) to call it a computer simulation. This is assuming there’s a creator of their version of the afterlife… (Anime) It’s heavily implied there is one, by the AI.

@Pepe and I were talking about randomness and determinism a little bit. It’s difficult to say, regarding their world, but do they have true randomness? This might be difficult to discuss without arguing (and perhaps in some instances quarreling) about whether our own universe has true randomness. So to avoid that we should limit discussion to the two worlds of AB!: the world before the afterlife, and the world of the afterlife.

I don’t have anything to cite for this, but I think the world before the afterlife would be “true random.” That would probably mesh better with Key’s general tone. It’s unfortunate, but I can’t actually assert this idea. As for the world of the afterlife, if it is deterministic then it implies (but doesn’t necessitate) the world being a simulation, which in that case corroborates my current theory.

Disclaimer: I have not read HD (beyond the first chapter) yet. Further, my memory is generally really terrible. Even after having watched AB! three times, I don’t remember some of the important details. So it is more than likely that I am missing a few major points. I have not explicitly looked at other theories.

Regarding the timeline thing… (Anime) Not all of Otonashi is dead when Kanade receives his heart. Kanade dies, with his heart, and she arrives. All of her organs might’ve died prior to Otonashi’s heart. Otonashi’s heart ― his last organ; the last part of himself ― dies. Thus he continues his “transfer” to the afterlife and winds up there after Kanade. In this scenario, time doesn’t need to be magic. Time of the afterlife would merely need to be accelerated (operate faster than time outside the afterlife). Unfortunately, that does not necessarily work for the “reunion” unless disappearing also takes some time to complete.

Limbo: This doesn’t need to be a separate world from the afterlife. It could be the afterlife, but with a person not yet placed physically into the world. They would still exist, but without a body or consciousness. It’s still Limbo, but we don’t need to introduce a third world for it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. I welcome extreme arguments and criticisms, since it’s funner that way. :slight_smile:

I actually have a huge world-theory about Angel Beats! and the afterlife that includes this. I’ve been meaning to write about it for awhile, just haven’t had the time. And I still don’t. Maybe I’ll have time this weekend.

If any of you haven’t read Heaven’s Door, there’s a lot more info regarding this topic there than in the anime.

[quote=“NotKyon, post:28, topic:36”]
Regarding the timeline thing
[/quote]I don’t really think we need any theories for this, IMHO. Or any about time at all. It is a very common belief of world religions that time in the afterlife either does not exist, or does not flow similarly to time in the universe. There doesn’t need to be a limbo, nor is there any evidence that there is one. The concept of time simply does not function the same way in the afterlife as we perceive it on in our universe.

2 Likes

I would agree if it were just the anime, but looking at the screenshots of the VN (granted, we don’t have access to the VN yet) they appear to measure time in the afterlife still, in terms of days. So the perspective of it is still a thing, at least.

Taking into account what you said though, perhaps a better way to approach it is how time is perceived in the afterlife according to humans.

I do think that a theory for it would still help. That it doesn’t work the same way is apparent, but trying to form an understanding of it (even if incomplete) still has its merits. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I really need to do this…