Angel Beats! - Chaa Character Discussion

Discussion of Chaa’s character in Angel Beats! and Angel Beats! Heaven’s Door. As of now all known information about the Angel Beats! anime and the Heaven’s Door manga may be discussed without the usage of spoiler tags, so be wary if you’re not familiar with them.

Yes, he’s as old as they are.
The Hype Train has all the answers.

1 Like

Chaa just simply doesn’t get enough love in the anime. He better get his own route in the VN. So much more stuff I want to learn about his past, as his seems the most interesting. Like, just what was his wife like, if she was so similar to Yuri?

Chaa is one of the more depressing characters, I find. I really feel for him and I feel like even with the anime it’s extremely apparent that he’s not all that happy. It’s a very bittersweet thing.

3 Likes

This is why Heaven’s Door > AB anime, imo. Supporting characters are really outshone in the anime by the mains. Probably because the very limited durations though.

He definitely should get his own route.

2 Likes

It seems to be heavily implied that he WILL be receiving his own route in a later beat.

2 Likes

Yeah, the fact that he appears as being part of the SSS at several points in the OP is proof enough for me that he will be getting a route. He 100% deserves one, anyway.

I really kinda dislike how the anime treated him, like he was really distant and only connected to what was going on because he supplied the weapons. Almost as if he was just someone Yuri employed, instead of actually being a member of the SSS. Which is especially upsetting, seeing as he was, like, the fourth original member of the SSS.

1 Like

He was pretty much as relevant to the story as Fish Saito, yeah…
Except for that scene at the very end in the guild caves. That kinda gave the viewers the impression that “Hey, maybe there’s more to this guy that we don’t know.”

Cut to Track Zero / Heaven’s Door! Shame nobody bothered to look further than the anime :V

1 Like

I can’t speak for everyone (and I have read Heaven’s Door which is what made me adopt this policy) but if I notice a manga’s translation is seemingly on hold or cancelled (I just look at dates so I have no idea what’s going on) while the Japanese version is either still going or finished but the translation hasn’t been updated in months, I’m not going to read it.

Anyway talking about Chaa I really liked him the brief moments I saw in the anime of him, I’m not even sure why. I also liked him in Heaven’s Door and like pretty much every character in the series, I want to know more about his life before he died. That was one of my favourite parts in the series, learning the character’s backstories.