American/Non-Japanese Comic Books Discussion

I couldn’t decide whether to post this in the general books topic or create a new one, but comics are different enough from regular books that I think it’s worth creating a new topic.

The reason I created this thread was because I just read an AMAZING graphic novel called I Kill Giants. It was so good that I literally read it in one sitting. It’s about a girl who’s obsessed with D&D and fantasy novels and thinks that she, well, kills giants. It definitely belongs in the “tear-jerker” genre because there’s lots of sad stuff like bullying and… well, you’ll find out why she’s so obsessed with fantasy books later on. The reason I’m posting about it here is because if you’re a fan of Key, you’ll love it. Not just for the sad stuff, but the way the author and artist mix reality and fantasy just like Key does.

I just recently got into American comics after going to a small comic con last month. So far I’ve read Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl, and they’re both really funny. Gwenpool is about a comic book geek from the “real world” who gets transported to Marvel-land, and uses her extensive knowledge of Marvel trivia to become a superhero herself and beat the bad guys. Squirrel Girl is about a girl who can talk to squirrels, and that somehow means she’s the most powerful superhero ever? :thinking: Both of them are parodies of superhero comics, but they’re so good.

I also read Batman Black And White, which is a series of short 8 page stories all drawn in black and white. I read about it in a how to draw book called “The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics” and the art is gorgeous. I got it mainly to study the art and learn how to draw using ink, but the stories are good too. They really showed different sides of Batman. He’s not just the generic most popular superhero, he fights for the common people, even if it means hiring the best lawyers in Gotham to defend people who only commit crimes because they’re in a bad situation.

Other than that, most of the comics on my to-read list are ones with “animesque” art, like Gotham Academy and this one indie comic called Giant Days. Anyone have recommendations for comics like that?

Anyone else into comic books? Which ones would you say are the best comics of all time, and what are you reading right now? I’m still a noob, but I’ve already got quite a few books on preorder.

Wow, I was literally thinking that a topic like this needed to be made a few hours ago.

Anyways, here’s an opinion I have about comic book superheroes in general:

Spider-Man > Every other comic book superhero