AIR - Misuzu Kamio Route & Character Discussion

Regarding that, another way to look at it might be: a side effect of Yukito’s wish, Sora’s presence, her own determination, or the curse weakening over time, maybe…

I’m lightly pissed off at this route right now because of the magic after the credits.

Better than Kano’s ending though. ON TO SUMMER

Well houjutsu is magic after all :stuck_out_tongue:

My first impression of Misuzu was very average. Girls who act immature for their age aren’t very appealing to me, and the whole ditzy element was a turnoff too. But man, my opinion of her did a complete 180 once we reached the Misuzu and AIR routes. I feel sorry for all the suffering she’s had to endure, but that just makes me admire her so much more, as she’s able to put up a strong front and smile whenever she needs to. They even made a point of how she can fake a laugh very easily, or switch from sad to happy like, well, putting on a mask. This girl is so damn strong, possibly stronger than any of the girls from her past lives. She had the strength and determination to sacrifice her own happiness and ultimately her life to ensure that she would be the last one to experience Kanna’s curse.

Of course, in an almost contradictory twist of fate, she couldn’t have done this alone. Happiness, as it turned out, was something very important that she learned not to throw away. She had Yukito, Sora, and Haruko all doing everything they could to support her and help her fight off the curse. And it turned out that simply accepting the love of her family and seeking her own happiness in the little time she had left was what was required to stave off the curse until the end of the dream, and finally break the curse.

Misuzu went from a B-grade character to an A-grade character once I got to know her better. Even seeing the revisit of her meeting with Yukito in AIR caused me to view it all in a very different, more positive light.

As for the route, Misuzu’s route was fantastic. Together with AIR, they make up my favourite part of the series, and one of my favourite story arcs in Key’s history. But I’ll go more into that in a later post.

3 Likes

Hinoue’s been doing drawings and posting them on Twitter. I’ve waited so long for this day. I’m a few days late. But…

Okay, it’s official. We need new CG’s for Kanon and Air ASAP.

Misuzu, such a beautiful route and a beautiful character. She deserves everything :smile:

4 Likes

That’s absolutely adorable! Now I’m tempted to compile official artworks of Misuzu as Hinoue’s style evolved over time. >.<

1 Like

Please include the original source. It’s disrespectful to the artist.

1 Like

Oh my, I have to say that as short as it is Misuzu’s route is a solid gold contender for my favourite character route in the fe Key VNs I’ve played so far. Now, as I’ve seen the anime already I’m probably swayed by knowing where the story ends although I’m sure it doesn’t do the VN justice.

Misuzu is - to me - a lovable airhead in a little sister you want to protect way but also needs a sharp kick up the backside too, and make her grow up. However as we get stronger and stronger hints of her destiny we can understand why she holds on childish desires of having fun and playing in a way that makes her seem so immature at first. She at least helps to keep tjhe Kamio house clean and laundered so she at least has some sense of responsibility - quite necessary given Haruko’s flippant attitudes. The growing bond between her and Yukito varies between comical and touching, and eventually we can see that Misuzu actually helps Yukito grow up a little too.

And honestly, the theme for Misuzu is by far the most fitting and beautiful character theme for me in any Key work I know. The moment that we are first introduced and the music starts was a magical moment for me.

Have to say that the after the Common and Character routes and I find this VN so far much more to my liking than LB and almost as much as Clannad - which is saying something! 5/5 for this route.

2 Likes

If I hadn’t known in advance that this was just a setup route, or if I had done this route first or second, I probably would have hated it. It ends so abruptly and doesn’t feel like a complete story. But the bits of the story they do tell are pretty well done. I think this does a terrific job as an introductory route to the true story, but think it should have had a bit more of a conclusive ending, or perhaps a bit more going on with the story, if they’re going to give readers the option to read this route long before they unlock Summer. Haruko is probably my favorite part of this route. I could not stand her for most of this visual novel, but reading through this route, she started to grow on me, a lot.

Misuzu herself is absolutely pathetic, and I do not mean that in degrading fashion. She is a girl who has no friends, cannot make friends, is incredibly quirky, has a horrible relationship with her mother and is on-and-off almost abused by this stranger that can control a puppet, all while making dinosaur noises any time she is sad. I said in my Makoto Route post that Makoto was written to be pitiable, but I believe Misuzu truly kicks that up a notch. She felt almost designed for caretaker-types to gravitate towards. And I think it works for her. I am not much of a caretaker-type myself but even I felt compelled to feel sorry for her. She seems like a character who is written to seem like she has a lot going on beneath the surface, but really is as simple as she is presented. She’s cute, too.

1 Like