AIR - Misuzu Kamio Route & Character Discussion

Discussion thread for the Misuzu arc of AIR. Feel free to discuss anything from the Misuzu route, but please tag references to content outside her route and common with [spoiler]. This especially includes the Summer and AIR routes! Discussion of Misuzu’s character is also welcome. Her birthday is the 23rd of July.

This topic also hosted AIR Bookclub Misuzu route discussion from this post onward, and AIR Route discussion from this post onward, and was referenced in our Misuzu Route Podcast.

What would you rate this route?

0 voters

I’m not finished with Air, but I personally don’t enjoy Misuzu all that much as of this moment, having watched the movie/anime and read half the VN. I do appreciate her, however. It’s hard to think of a more pure character. Her and Kengo would be great friends ~! ^^

Guess this is where I could shine

As far as VN go, the common route gives you a general approach of her character. Quite clumsy, innocent, more focused in playing things people her age doesn’t do anymore…

While the Dream Arc doesn’t do much for her, (and her H scene is a crime against humanity), the Air arc makes you really love her. She grows on you, and with that end… ;___________________;

2 Likes

Aight so here’s the thing.
I’m not all that big on Air really, even Misuzu’s route and Air, I just don’t like them that much.

But Misuzu is a fucking angel. every moment just spent innocently hanging out with her is wonderful, ESPECIALLY if Natsukage is playing.

6 Likes

Misuzu is one of the most depressing characters I have ever met and a lot of it has to do with the second half of Air (I watched the anime). In the first half I really liked her. She was playful, innocent, friendly and very pure. I couldn’t help but crack a smile whenever she appeared on screen cause she was just really likable and felt like somebody you could talk to when times are down. Plus when Natsukage plays, it sets the friendly atmosphere really well. When we find out that she’s suffering from some chronic episodes due to a curse (that’s later explained in the Summer arc) that pretty much refrains her from making any friends or relationships, she becomes a very depressing character and there were times when I felt like crying during the episodes cause I could sympathize with her. And the fact that she’s still able to be optimistic, despite knowing that the dreams and the episodes she keeps on having are going to kill her soon, really cements the depressing element for her character. Her relationship with her Mom Haruko ( who becomes her real Mom at the end) was really good and I felt a huge bond between them. And of course, that ending. :cry:

So to cut a long story short, I really liked Misuzu and she’s probably my second favorite character in the series.

1 Like

Anime-wise, I believe the second half of Air was the worst half. Killing off the likable protagonist, and then changing a main character (both personality and appearance) so much that I struggled to even associate them with who that character once was. The directors took hours of character development and threw it in the trash.

Let’s see if I can make use of the detailed notes I made while reading the common route…

Misuzu is overall an extremely lovable character. However, she’s not a perfect character. She has a healthy amount of flaws to go along with all her good points, which makes her even more interesting and more lovable.

She’s nice and kind, always ready to help. ‘You’ve got nothing to eat? Why not come over to my place? Or how about I just buy you something from my limited savings?’ But she’s not completely selfless. If there’s something she really wants, like the cute sloth stuffed animal, she gets really persistent on trying to get it.
She’s easily distracted in mid-conversation. “Ah, a crow!”, “Ah, a girl beetle!”
Misuzu is quite pure and therefore bad with lies. She is easy to deceive at first, BUT she catches on quickly, only to get really sad about the fact of being lied to.

She’s clumsy and often falls flat on her face when trying to run. She makes some cute noises, such as “Wah!”, “Gao” and “Nihaha”. You can tell pretty early on that she’s lonely and desperate for company. After all, girls her age don’t walk up to complete strangers and pester them to play with them.

At home, Misuzu is very dilligent - and capable - with her chores (as long as there’s no cicada around). On the other hand, she’s reluctant to do her homework and she’s rather easy-going about skipping classes sometimes. It is shown that she’s actually fully capable of finishing her homework if she keeps at it.

3 Likes

The Misuzu Route segment of the AIR Bookclub Podcast has now begun! Discussion will be taking place from this post onward. Check the OP for details.

Misuzu is a character I’ve held close to my heart from the very second you first meet her
I relate to her in a lot of ways

One of my all time favorite scenes is the scene where Misuzu is talking with Sora before class about how she’s going to try her hardest to make a friend and then Sora goes and does his thing and then later Misuzu comes out of class just destroyed because no matter how hard she tries she’s just the “weird” girl and is unable to make a friend

When I first heard about AIR back in one of Arkada’s reviews, Misuzu was the only character I heard mention of by name besides Yukito. By the looks of it, she seemed to be the main focus of the story. I later learned that AIR had a different structure from Kanon and CLANNAD, so my suspicions were further backed by this evidence. From all the promotional art and small bits of anime footage that I saw, she seemed to have an air to her that she had this sort of ‘angel complex’ to her at first. When I first went through the common route, my expectations seemed too grand for this peach-juice-loving, childlike, super-optimistic high school girl. After playing through her route, I really noticed how deep Misuzu’s character really is.

Misuzu is a high school girl who dreams of flying, and desires to make at least one friend by herself. She is quite aware of the consequences, but she pushes on anyways. Yukito is probably the worst choice for a friend, due to his negative view of her and her habits. Still, she keeps pushing herself to make friends with this one individual who has almost nothing to help her with on the surface, but that’s really how you go about making friends, isn’t it? Smile, say hi, remember the person’s name, treat them how you would like to be treated yourself. Misuzu’s actions are a stunning example of how an ideal friend should behave, and it kind of makes me jealous of her social skills.

Her route is one of the shorter (and in my opinion, more tolerable) routes in the VN, but so much is accomplished in that short amount of time. Yukito and Misuzu’s chemistry in this is so well-developed; they grow to understand each other and look past each other’s faults without breaking character, and (should you choose not to view the sex scene) their romance is quite platonic and not forced at all. Also, Yukito learns a lot about his purpose in finding the girl in the sky, and we learn quite a bit about Yukito’s mother and why she sent him on this journey. The resolution of this route has quite a bit of Key Magic, but it’s executed rather well here. It led me to believe that this story is not quite over yet…

As far as religious symbolism goes, there’s quite a bit of it here. Misuzu is very obviously a parallel for Christ, not only in personality, but in circumstances. Christ had said in the New Testament that “…except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:4) Misuzu acts very childlike, in that she is faithful, hopeful and charitable to her friends and neighbors, and especially Yukito. Of course, that doesn’t mean she is childish. As @Pepe pointed out earlier, she does seem to have some common sense and knowledge about certain things, so she’s still very much an air-headed high school girl. The ‘impossible pain’ she feels later in the route can also be a parallel to Christ’s suffering in Gethsemane, where the impossibly-heavy burden of all the sins of the world was thrust upon him, “…and he sweat as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” (JST Luke 22:44) Now, of course, Misuzu doesn’t bleed as she feels the pain of the girl in the sky, but her uncontrollable fits of crying seems quite similar to what Jesus said right before He suffered in Gethsemane: “Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.” (Matthew 26:38) (Summer spoilers) Also, when you think about the all of the sad, painful memories of the people in the town (or maybe even the world) burdening Kanna, Misuzu’s pain isn’t too far off from having to carry the sins of everyone who has ever lived and ever will live on this earth.

In a sense, Yukito becomes Misuzu’s ‘apostle’ as a result, learning from her and becoming more devoted to her as he learns who she is and what is happening to her. Much like how Jesus’ apostles were the most unqualified people on the planet to be so, Yukito is not the best person to choose to be friends with initially. Jesus’ apostles grew to know who He is and why He was there, but they were more afraid for themselves and were not able to help Him much when He was taken and crucified. Yukito acts this very same way, believing that the only way to save Misuzu (and himself) is to separate himself from her. However, much like how a man closely associated with religion finds it hard to give up, Yukito returns to his goddess, and tries to save her with the power of faith (I know it says ‘wishes’, but wishes only work if a person has the faith to carry the wish out). I’ll go into more depth about what happens afterward when we start reading the AIR arc.

None of the character themes in AIR are more fitting for their respective characters than Natsukage is to Misuzu. The piece is light and upbeat, while at the same time having a bit of a sad air to it. It perfectly represents a childlike girl like Misuzu who is doomed to die, either alone or with her friends. Standing alone, it is also a beautiful composition that I’m sure even Maeda was proud of (he tried to compose a similar-sounding song for Little Busters, but it was dummied out of the final game).

Anyway, time to dump my Key Points:

Why does Misuzu call Yukito a tadpole? Is there any way this could be symbolic of Yukito’s personality or his journey to find the girl in the sky?

When Misuzu tells Yukito about her dreams slowly deteriorating her body, she says that after seeing her final dream, she will ‘become just like the girl in the sky’. Does that imply that the girl in the sky is dead, or does a different fate await Misuzu should she experience her final dream?

Why does Yukito call Shigemi Kawaguchi twice in the same route to be Misuzu’s friend? Is he desperate, or does he believe that she has the closest affinity with Misuzu since she is her classmate? Why couldn’t he just call some of her other classmates, like Minagi or Kano?

We all know the details of Misuzu’s condition and its effects on Yukito, but why does he feel pain in his back specifically? Did he injure himself there previously, or is it representative of his decision to stay with Misuzu?

Yukito’s mother mentions being with someone like Misuzu before, but had no idea how to save her at the time. It makes me wonder, could Yukito’s ancestors have found several different incarnations of the girl in the sky in the past? And if so, why is Yukito the only person who can save her? Couldn’t some of his ancestors do something about it?

Before Yukito leaves Misuzu, he points out that the cards in her hand symbolize her. In what way could the deck of cards be symbolic of Misuzu?

Good luck, @Yerian. XD

My final thoughts: Misuzu is a wonderful character with far more depth than she initially seems to have. Her relationship with Yukito is very natural and in no ways forced, and the pacing of her route is near-perfect. Her Christ-like parallels add so much depth and meaning to her route, and the AIR route only adds and expands to Misuzu’s story, but that’s for another thread.

(sigh) If only Rin’s route was as well-executed as this one…

7 Likes

I used to be so annoyed about Misuzu’s H-scene before I started reading the VN but that quote really made me laugh. I’m really glad I couldn’t pick where it was removed in the memorial edition, and that it flows perfectly without it. It doesn’t really bother me anymore because I don’t have to watch it, honestly I think I’d be scarred for life if I did *:slight_smile:

I think it’s because she’s portrayed so much as a child that it irks me all the more. Oh well.

And @EisenKoubu that’s a really interesting analysis, I’d never thought of it like that.

2 Likes

As usual, I’m gonna be posting something before even finishing and ignoring all the rest of the comments XD

It’s a really interesting feeling to be reading this with the bookclub. In the common route, we’ve gotten so used to Misuzu being the thorn in our side that, after a month of not having her around, I genuinely miss seeing Misuzu in this game. She has this sort of relaxing vibe around her. Kind of like, if you’re around her, life doesn’t seem so complicated anymore.

It’s also surprising how self-aware she is. The usual airheads don’t even realize they’re being stupid, but Misuzu is fully aware that she is weird, and that she breaks down whenever she starts crying. Pretty interesting, if you ask me.

I’ll be uploading my usual timeline once I have a few more days played :wink:

3 Likes

Misuzu :’(

Relationships
Misuzu is “always alone.” What is there? Who is there? Somehow she keeps smiling, as though she’s blissfully unaware. Would it be better if that were actually the case? The closest thing she has to a parent is Haruko, who has always distanced herself. With no mother or father to speak of, all she has is herself.

Key point: Whenever someone tries to get close, she starts crying uncontrollably. That creates an artificial distance. What if they kept trying to get closer? What if they ignored her cries and gave her only their platonic love?

One day Tabuchi Yukito shows up. Misuzu had a feeling that her summer would somehow be different, that she’d do her best to make friends again, and there he is. According to Misuzu, he had been asleep the first time she saw him, and no matter what she did he wouldn’t wake up. She came back the next day to try and play again. She even gave him a drink, which he poured out and crushed… Yet somehow she was able to keep a positive attitude. She still tried to be friends with this stranger… even going as far as giving him a place to stay.

Her relationship with Yukito, sadly, does not become mutual until much later on in her route. (Or ever, outside of her route.) Key point: Would she still have been suffering when Yukito was in Minagi’s or Kano’s routes?

Birthday
My suspicion from my first play through turned out to be correct. The following is a spoiler for the Air arc (although you can come to the conclusion yourself): A strange man, with a sprite in the VN, happens to hand you a cake. Later (same day) it turns out that it’s Misuzu’s birthday! He is clearly someone who is somehow related to Misuzu. He’s not too old looking, so it’s unlikely he’s a grandfather of some kind. The strongest possibility is that he is her father.

Aside from that, she doesn’t bother mentioning that it’s her birthday. Yukito finds out later on by chance. (Dammit Yukito! You wouldn’t have done anything differently? C’mon son.) At least Misuzu got to play a little bit though…

Excellent trick, Misuzu!

The Girl In The Sky
Gradually, Yukito becomes more and more aware that Misuzu is somehow the girl in the sky… That she’s the person he’s been looking for…

Despite the cheesiness of this comment, it still feels so good.

Misuzu has been having dreams of flying in the sky… with this sad feeling in each dream. (Somehow she keeps smiling. Amazing.) I’m not sure where it was said (might’ve been in the anime adaptation), but she did state that it felt as though her dreams were going back in time. That’s an interesting concept. It would imply that she would be gaining more and more understanding (as opposed to simple knowledge) as she has these dreams. Indeed, she nearly says as much later on in her route.

Route
Only in her route does Yukito gain understanding of himself, and the reason behind his quest. While his mother did state that it would be fine if he completely forgot about the girl in the sky, or only used his puppet to make money (Hi there @Takafumi). Apparently all he wants, though, is to find someone he can make happy. (That’s romantic. If Yukito were a girl I might’ve fallen for Yukiko then.) Yukito only realizes this because of Misuzu, however. (More specifically, Yukito only realizes that because of Misuzu’s condition, which can be attributed to her being the girl in the sky.)

I skipped right past that H-scene. First play-through: Hug her. Second play-through: Touch her. (Because I hadn’t selected that before and was curious where it would take me.) You can’t really lose at that point. (Either option is fine.)

The credits rolling before showing the rest of what happens is really jarring. Just before that, you think it’s a good ending… The credits roll, and you feel all happy. “Weird Key magic BS saves the day! Yay! :D” … and then, no. That got me both times I’ve played her route. (Whoever is responsible for that owes me new heartstrings.)

It was an enjoyable route. The drunken happenings with Haruko were fun. Each time Yukito ignored Misuzu I wanted to punch him. (I always want to feel something about the characters.) Misuzu was Misuzu, and she was Misuzu so well: Cute; Childish without actually feeling stupid; Gao gao dammit!

Miscellaneous

I have some other points of discussion… however they all deal with the Air arc, which makes it more difficult to bring up for the podcast. I’ll wait until we reach that point in the book club. For now…

Key point: What is Yukito’s “other” power and how does it relate to Misuzu (and Kano)? (He did something similar in Kano’s route – except he didn’t “lose himself.”)

… Many apologies for bringing up Kano in Misuzu’s route.

Misuzu! :’(

I’ve finished the route now, but before I post my thoughts and the timeline, I figure I’ll respond to some of the posts here first

Hmmmmmmmmm I will have to disagree with you on this, @EisenKoubu. Let me get into this…

That is true, yes, but her childlike nature is also because it is as Yukito’s mother stated: she will always stay the same. Yukito’s mom, who has firsthand experience with the girl, knows that this girl-from-the-sky has stunted growth. Why is that? Actually, that’s one part I honestly did not understand. But to say it is because this childlike nature is attuned to entering the kingdom of heaven seems a bit like pushing it. To me, it feels more like the reason why they remain childlike is because it refers to the eternal existence of the girl in the sky. They never grow because the girl in the sky never grows. Oh, that’s a good keypoint!

Why do you think all the incarnations of the girl in the sky seem to remain childlike?

They both feel impossible pain, but the reason why Misuzu feels this pain is different; She feels this pain because the girl in the sky feels this pain. It is not because of other people, rather, it is solely due to one entity that she is attached to.

This, I feel, totally goes against Yukito’s intents in returning. Yukito’s entire intent for leaving was because he wanted her to get better. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think people who are close to religion ever consider giving up because it would make the religion better; those are usually for personal reasons. The reason why they stay is also for personal reasons (because they trust and believe in the religion). Yukito returned because he realized none of that mattered and he wanted to just make her smile. His leaving was not personal (and only said it was to convince Misuzu) but his return was personal.

So unless there is an apostle who left Jesus or religion because it was for the benefit of Jesus or religion, only to return because they realized they really just wanted to stay, I won’t be able to agree with you on that point just yet.

He does say the reason for calling Kawaguchi the first time was simply because she was beside her in class, and he assumed there was a higher chance for her to know Misuzu. It’s actually more confusing in the Ramen Set choice, because the Misuzu route would be the first time he calls Kawaguchi, and he kind of picks her in a hurry. But I guess the same logic applies.

I think it might be related to wings~ The girl in the sky has wings sprouting from her back, so that might mean something

They tried and they failed. I am guessing it is similar to Misuzu route’s bad end where he just ups and leaves after he realizes he is the cause to Misuzu’s pain. That or they try, but they don’t have the ‘memories of all their ancestors’ stored in a puppet that will suddenly absorb the user ^_^;

That is… essentially what Yukito did. And we all know how that was ending up @_@

I love her response to that, really. “What would you have done if you knew it was my birthday?”
It shows that she really does not want anybody to impose on her just for the sake of it being her birthday, and would genuinely like somebody spending time with her regardless of what day it was. So sad ;_;

Those choices actually remind me of most of Kanon’s H-scenes. They would always give you the choice to skip them and you could still get the good end even if you do (except for one…). Misuzu’s route is the same in that regard, I believe. Though I played memorial so hugging or touching all did the same to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Misuzu-chin is in a pinch! :’(

He might have if he continued, if I remember correctly

1 Like

That’s true. :confused: Though she did say that she only started having the dream once Yukito showed up, iirc. That might imply that Yukito is somehow special in some way beyond that… Perhaps he’s special because he wouldn’t leave her alone. (Although we’d have to ignore the other routes for that.) Hmm…

Oh! I didn’t think of it as “regardless of what day it was,” that’s a great point. The feels! T_T

It’s interesting that AIR also has the one mandatory H-scene (another route spoiler) (Kano’s route) like Kanon. (Although I don’t remember whose route… @Aspirety Kanon book club next soon? ^_^)

Regarding the religious symbolism, it seems to me that Buddhism would be a better fit here. (There are different kinds of Buddhism, IIRC, but I’m not completely aware of the details.) Regardless, @EisenKoubu, I think your interpretation is very clever. I can’t really contribute much to that side of the discussion though.

Misuzu is like a snowflake; if you try to hold her, she’ll melt away. (I’m starting to wonder if she might have been meant for Kanon, based on the absurd preceding analogy.)

3 Likes

[quote=“NotKyon, post:16, topic:372”]
It’s interesting that AIR also has the one mandatory H-scene (another route spoiler) (Kano’s route)like Kanon. (Although I don’t remember whose route… @Aspirety Kanon book club next soon? ^_^)
[/quote]It’s Nayuki’s route. I almost stopped reading Kanon because of that scene. XP

Alright sooooo, on to the timeline! This starts from the day diverging from when Yukito leaves the Kamio household or decides to stay, so I haven’t included the “pre-misuzu” common route stuff:

July 24

• Misuzu starts talking about her dream from last night, about how she thinks she used to be able to fly, and how it makes her feel sad
  • Misuzu goes to school and Yukito is left thinking of the words his mother told him
  • Class ends, but Misuzu isn’t seen in the crowd leaving school
  • Yukito finds Misuzu making lunch at home
  • Misuzu asks Yukito to play cards again
  • Yukito remembers Misuzu crying when they tried to play cards last time, and he remembers another girl with similar symptoms to Misuzu
  • Misuzu runs out of juice and asks Yukito to go buy some with her
  • Yukito suddenly remembers the rest of the words his mother spoke: “The girl keeps having the same dream. She can never be happy, no matter how many times she’s born. She’s always, always been alone. Continually disappearing, without ever growing up. She relives that sad dream over and over and over. And she’ll end her life still a girl.”
  • That night, Misuzu bugs Yukito again to play cards, and Haruko comes home early
  • Haruko forces Misuzu to sleep early, and tells Yukito about how Misuzu had a breakdown at school
  • She reminds him that Misuzu gets like that when she gets close with someone, which is why Haruko won’t get close with Misuzu
  • Yukito starts to wonder if Misuzu really is the girl he is looking for…

July 25

• They walk to school and talk, and Misuzu reveals Haruko isn’t her real mom, but her aunt
  • She says she doesn’t ask for anything from Haruko because she causes Haruko so much trouble
  • Misuzu asks if Yukito will be her friend, but leaves for school before he can answer
  • Yukito thinks all day about Misuzu and the girl, and fast forward to dinner time, he asks misuzu to go on a walk
  • He ends up asking Misuzu to go to the beach before asking his question “Does the you in your dreams have wings?”
  • Misuzu can’t seem to remember, though

July 26

• Yukito wakes up late, and finds Misuzu in her room, complaining her legs have gone numb
  • She ends up skipping school and says she has no appetite
  • Yukito sees Haruko wake up and tells her to talk to Misuzu, but she puts it off
  • Misuzu says she had a weird dream where she kept trying to go up to the sky, then she heard voices, all trying to imprison her
  • Misuzu falls asleep and after waking up, she takes Yukito up on his offer to go to the beach
  • Yukito rejects because Misuzu isn’t feeling well, so he says to go tomorrow
  • Night falls and Haruko comes home late, with some sushi
  • Yukito rejects it and can choose to stay and ask Haruko about Misuzu or just avoid her
  • He scolds Haruko for not acting like a mother and she says she doesn’t want Misuzu to rely on her, and feels like their relationship is past saving
  • He ends up at the beach and remembers a story by his mother, about a girl who wanted to go to the beach, has a dream of the sky, gradually falls ill, loses her memory and dies
  • The last part of his mother’s conversation was that only Yukito can save the girl
  • He is convinced that Misuzu is that girl and decides to save her by bringing her to the beach

July 27

• Yukito wakes up in the shed, in time to see Haruko leaving with a traveling bag, claiming to go on a hot springs tour
  • He finds Misuzu standing in the kitchen, feeling better
  • Later that day, he sees Misuzu in her room playing cards again, having just woken up
  • She had a dream that she was in a forest talking to someone about the sea
  • Yukito decides to go with Misuzu to the sea now, and they leave, but she struggles to move
  • She starts sobbing and they decide to go back home
  • Yukito offers to make dinner and regrets not being nice to Misuzu from the beginning
  • Misuzu suddenly asks Yukito to tell her about the girl he’s looking for, since she knows her dreams are related
  • Misuzu thought about it and concluded that the girl in her dream is another self somewhere, and is trying to tell her something
  • Misuzu believes her dreams aren’t coincidence, and she’s confident it’s connected to her meeting with Yukito

July 28

• Yukito wakes up to find Misuzu just finished sobbing, but she says it was due to a dream
  • She cries again and ends up falling asleep, and so does Yukito
  • She wakes him up and tells him about her new dream: about a festival she could see, but was watching from far away
  • She says she wants to go to the beach now, and tries to stand up, but keeps falling
  • Yukito picks her up and forces her to rest
  • Misuzu convinces him to let her do her picture diary and Yukito looks at it
  • He tells her it’s boring and she should make one where she draws what she wants to do, and Yukito will make all of it come true

July 29

• Yukito wakes up and finds Misuzu still sleeping, and starts feeling sad about Misuzu
  • He goes to the high street and performs, and considers asking Hijiri for help, but he knows it’s not an illness
  • He returns and Misuzu tells him about her dream: that she went on a journey to look for something
  • Misuzu feels hungry and asks Yukito to order takeaway: Ramen set!
  • She thinks Yukito knows what’s happening to her, but he just tells her to get better
  • Yukito goes to the phone and ends up calling Kawaguchi, her seatmate, and begs her to come over and play with Misuzu
  • Misuzu stops him and says because Kawaguchi is a good person, she shouldn’t be bothered
  • Yukito gets angry, and encourages her to make friends, but Misuzu says just him is enough
  • They hear fireworks in the distance and right after, Misuzu’s agony begins
  • She starts sobbing and Yukito approaches her and supports her

July 30

• Misuzu worries Yukito wouldn’t wake up, and Yukito suddenly feels terrible
  • Misuzu asks if Yukito’s condition is her fault
  • Yukito realizes his condition is part of what his mother told her: “She grows close to someone, then both of them will fall ill”
  • He realizes that him staying will only make them worse, so he decides to leave
  • He tells Misuzu about his mother’s story, and that he has to leave
  • As Yukito leaves, Misuzu follows him outside, and tells him about her dream last night: She was all alone, locked up, and waiting for someone to save her
  • She asks to come with Yukito, but of course she can’t

July 31

• Yukito stays in town for the night and just waits at the bus stop
  • He tries to leave, but keeps hesitating, then fells asleep
  • He suddenly remembers his past: He was orphaned in a temple, and found his “mother” performing tricks in the city
  • She approached him and told him she was his mother, and gave him a puppet to move
  • The trick to making it move is to give it a wish: the wish to have people smile
  • He remembers the exact words about the girl in the sky: “I don’t want to force that on you. You should do whatever makes you happy”
  • After a month, his mother planned to leave, and asked Yukito to come with her
  • After traveling, she now tells Yukito that she wants him to save the girl
  • She seals her wishes in the puppet, along with her ancestor’s wishes, and gives it to Yukito
  • She tells him that he probably won’t remember, but if he does, and meets that girl, he should pour everything into that puppet
  • Right after, his mother grew transparent and disappeared
  • Thus began Yukito’s own journey, to find the girl in the sky
  • Back to the present and Yukito remembers what he truly wanted: Just to make someone smile
  • A few kids wake him up, and he makes them watch his puppet show, and asks help to make it something enjoyable
  • He goes towards Misuzu’s house and remembers Misuzu asking him to go to the beach, but this time, he accepts

And now for my thoughts!
Misuzu route was a very well-written route, in my opinion. It was short, sweet, and enjoyable. Like I said, I kinda missed seeing Misuzu in the game. The writers used that to their advantage. I was well within the middle of the route and @Aspirety was asking me to do something, but my only reply was “Misuzu needs me ;_;”. So yeah, if there’s any indication of this being a well-written route, it’s the fact that I was totally engrossed in it. That doesn’t happen so often these days.

And now onto the funny stuff! I didn’t have much “I don’t understand this” notes because a lot of the stuff were explained pretty well. Misuzu’s sudden condition, Yukito’s life and journey, Haruko’s intents, and all that jazz. That being said, I don’t have as much to talk about as I did in other routes :stuck_out_tongue:

Now then, what do I do have to talk about? Well firstly, Misuzu and her inability to get close to people. This is a bit confusing as to the why. At first, I thought it happens as a preventive measure; since anybody who comes close to the “girl in the sky” will fall ill, she makes her own self-defense measure (i.e. crying) so that nobody will become close to her. Haruko played that to her advantage especially considering she isn’t Misuzu’s real mom. Even Yukito did, for a while. I did say in the common route that Yukito did kind of distance himself from Misuzu in the common route. I think that would explain why her dreams and her pain didn’t start sooner. It only started after Yukito realized he enjoyed being with Misuzu and considered her a ‘friend’.

Now we go onto Haruko. Here I thought Misuzu route would have more Haruko hi-jinx, but here we see her dark side xP And it ain’t pretty. I know, deep in my heart (and because of the anime) that Haruko really, truly cares for Misuzu. But she doesn’t show it. She can’t show it. Because she knows Misuzu will cry, and she knows it’ll just make things hard for the both of them. So Haruko stays distant for one reason: Because she wants to be with Misuzu. The closer she gets, the higher the risk of her having to leave her for good, and she doesn’t want that for sure. So they both live in this somehow symbiotic co-existence that is their life. It’s just pretty god damn sad that she goes on a goddamn self-proclaimed hot springs tour while Misuzu is sick. Pretty sure that making sure your niece doesn’t die doesn’t really count as “becoming close”.

Next thing I want to bring up is the sickness. Yukito’s mom outlines the factors pretty well, and it seems pretty obvious: Misuzu falls ill because Yukito is there. But if Yukito wasn’t there, what would happen? I presume Misuzu wouldn’t fall ill, but she would live this lonely life, never growing up. Might be worth discussing if you guys doing the podcast want to, but I won’'t put it as a keypoint for now.

The last thing I want to talk about is Yukito’s mom… Just what is she? Is she really even Yukito’s mom? (yes, that’s a keypoint). She seems to be this ephemeral thing. Like, she approaches Yukito very casually despite him being an orphan saying “I’m your mother”. If I were in Yukito’s young body, I’d call bullshit on that. But he was a small kid yearning for a mom so I won’t question his decisions…

And then she invites him to go on a journey and at first says that she doesn’t want to push that burden on Yukito… But finally tells him that he needs to save that girl. What gives? She met the girl, and so did her mother, and her grandmother, and so on, and they all failed. The feeling that I get is that she cares for Yukito and doesn’t want to burden him, yes, but she is falling into desperation as more and more generations fail and the houjutsu gets weaker and weaker.

Well, Yukito did say it was part of his bloodline (the houjutsu, I think), so he must be related to his ‘mother’ one way or another but… It all just seems so unnatural. It’s like she feels more like a prophet or an angel trying to drive Yukito’s life towards a certain direction, and her existence more-or-less simply just fazes me totally.

In summary, while a lot of Misuzu and the girl in the sky’s situation and fate has been explained, what hasn’t been explained is this whole relationship between Yukito’s bloodline and the girl in the sky’s bloodline. Preeeetty sure the next route/s are going to go into that, and we shall soon learn just what these two people are and why they seem to always find each other generation after generation

2 Likes

Hey guys. Just jumping in to announce there’s been a change of plans for the Misuzu route section of the AIR Bookclub. We are unable to get the cast together to record this weekend, so we’re most likely going to be postponing the podcast for another week. What that means for you guys is the Misuzu route portion will be extended to three weeks, and the remaining routes will be pushed back a week.

I apologise for the inconvenience this may cause members, but I hope you’ll understand we don’t have much of a choice. Keep up the awesome discussion!

Just finished the route, and I loved it! But I’d like to clarify a couple of your keypoints.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here; could you be more specific?

Have we seen any other incarnations of the girl in the sky yet…? How do we know they remain childlike?