AIR - Kano Kirishima Route & Character Discussion

[quote=“Pepe, post:40, topic:332”]
I kind of find that hard to swallow because, well, I don’t believe in spirits or souls. I honestly viewed it more as the culmination of the desires of Shiraho and the feather imparting themselves into Kano. The feather was referred to as a “vessel” after all.
[/quote]If we borrow a little information from Minagi’s route this is still plausible without requiring her soul to be stored in the feather. Remember Michiru tells us the feather that she is using is full of sad memories for the girl in the sky and she is filling it with good memories to give her a small amount of happiness. If you carry that over and view this feather as a memory holder it’s possible that the feather is imprinted with the memories of Shiraho which are what possess Kano, which would explain her actions being the same as those in the past as well as her lines being carried over for example “This child is my life.” Hard to believe she is talking about Kano there considering she has tried to cut Kano’s wrist before.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:39, topic:332”]
Despite not really liking the route, I do like Kano. She’s a good character, just not my favorite.
[/quote]I have quite the similar view of Kano. I really liked her based on the impression from common, it felt like we had three states of energy with the three heroines Minagi was the laid back sorta take everything in stride character, Misuzu was the in between and Kano was the higher register always ready to go go go. After the route I still like her charcter and guess I just feel a need to defend it because it feels like a lot of people are coming out of the route with the impression of she has nothing to her character other than shes a spoiled brat who ties Yukito down.

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I was thinking, and it agrees with what @Bowiie was mentioning.

The only thing I can think of that involved guns were the people who were involved during the Bakumatsu period, around the mid 19th century. That was one of the few times that Japan had a war with a foreign army. Wait, it was a foreign army, right?

Buuut at the end of the day:

That’s what they get when they make a former sumo wrestler write a VN route :v

Yes. Kano is the one obsessing over the past, but Hijiri is both the one who started it, and the one who appears most affected by it. Kano seeks, while Hijiri denies.

I didn’t have ME when I made the patch, so I’m not sure how they did it. I guess it was similar to what I did though.
Most of it was replacing HCGs with sprites, and then a fade to black. The only problem scene was the ribbon part, which showed up after the fade. It seemed important, so I kept it in, but IIRC it wasn’t voiced. I could probably add voices to the unvoiced parts, but I’d have to check the rest of the script quickly.
Did any of the old VAs return for ME? I might check if it has any extra voiced lines someday.

I think Kano’s route was the only problem route. The others were all just a matter of ending the scene before the HCGs showed up.

Pretty much.

Pinpon! I think you’re onto something here.
Oh, and the song is Shiraho no Komoriuta. It’s a play on the beautiful Edo no Komoriuta. You might recognize the melody from the Higurashi anime~

Feathers store memories. I think that Kano’s weird state is the memories from the feather surfacing. It isn’t a being possessing her, it’s her reliving memories that don’t belong to her - only faintly aware of what is actually happening around her in reality.

It has been a really long time since I read the route (still need to get onto rereading it) so I’m not sure of the details, but I still searched for a while. Would it be the Genpei War? It wasthe start of the Feudal Era, which Shiraho’s story was from.

Stealing my post before I can post it! How rude!

Oh damn, they had guns? Well, all my searching was for naught. I agree then. It could have been one of the many revolts during the latter stages of the Edo Period. Those guys loved revolts and rebellions.

2 Likes

Stealing my post after I post it! How rude!

Well, I’m on the 31st now. Pretty much everything I wanted to say (and more) has already been said here so far.

The part with Potato getting lost (and subsequently found again) was just… too obvious. It was entertaining though.

Right now Kano is somewhat enjoyable… @Kanon said this regarding Minase Nayuki (Kanon) “her and her route are just kind of there.” I feel the same way about Kano and her route. Overall it basically has nothing to do with the girl in the sky, other than the feather. (I’ll elaborate more after finishing this route to make sure I’m not forgetting anything.)

Key point: When did Kano start to fall for Yukito? It seems to me that, at first, she was basically just being friendly. As time went on he was more of a guy who she could play with, but didn’t really have any romantic feelings for. I’d like to hear more about this in the podcast. :slight_smile: Looks like I was too late!

Some screen captures I took at various points I wanted to comment on…

Nothing profound here, but that part brought a smile to my face too.

This reminded me of @Takafumi’s state of work theory (which was continued above)

I seem to have neglected saving the screenshot of when Kano comes back with only one ice cream treat (after she said she’d get one for you too), or when she spills the bucket after Yukito just finished (or was mostly done with) mopping the floor. “I’m an adult, so I have to stay calm.” That frustration… you could just feel it.

That makes me wish I would’ve held onto my PSP… I wasn’t aware there was even a version of AIR for PSP. Definitely something I’ll be looking into soon.

Right now, I play AIR on auto-mode during lunch, and occasionally at night. I try to progress through two to four days for each real day I play it. Almost there…

Sorry to burst your bubble @NotKyon, but we finished recording the podcast yesterday. I’m hoping to have it published tonight. You’ll need to get in quicker next time! (before the second friday)

Well darn. Still looking forward to the podcast though. :slight_smile:

http://kazamatsuri.org/kazamatsuri-org-air-bookclub-podcast-part-3-kano-route/ And here’s the podcast! I actually beat the deadline by an hour this time! :smiley:

This concludes the Kano route segment of the AIR Bookclub podcast. I look forward to seeing you all in the Misuzu Discussion topic!

3 Likes

Kano was a considerably fun, cute and enjoyable character in the common route, so I had positive expectations going into her route. But hoooly crap this was a bad route. It has some moments (like Shiraho’s) that were interesting, and the moral isn’t terrible, but it’s pretty badly written. There’s virtually no conflict; Kano is inflicted with a supernatural condition because of her guilt for causing her mother’s death, and when Yukito tells her she should just stop feeling guilty and say thank you, that’s it. That kind of development happened way too easily, and kinda killed any feeling of tension for the route. The resolution was way too easy.

That said, the message of the ending is kinda nice. Just finding a simple happiness among family in that town is something Yukito was striving for, and to see him achieve it is nice. His journey may be over, but at least his wings could carry his own happiness.

2 Likes

So, Yukito doesn’t leave town at the end of Kano’s Route (True Ending, which is the only Ending to her route) because he has an established job working for Hijiri and in a romantic relationship (love life) with Kano? I mean, he’s now living life without worrying about his quest anymore, as his mother stated that he can do. He’s living life in happiness now at the end of Kano’s Route with Kano herself by his side as a romantic partner and someone he has come to care about. Isn’t that right?

Do you think that Yukito is giving up on his quest to find the Girl in the Sky, as seen here so that he can live out his own happiness for himself and Kano? Of course, this is canon to Kano’s route only. I wonder, what is the stuff that he has seen to choose to stay in town with Kano. It’s romantic and sincere of him to choose to stay with Kano and live a happy life with her and her sister.
Just need some clarification here.

Probably all of the weird mystical spiritual stuff with the feather and the ribbon and all that stuff.

Yes, everything that you have stated in your post is what is what is implied by the story. I’m sure if you go back and read all the posts in this topic, you’d come up with the same conclusion

Hello, Aspirety. What did you mean when you say that Yukito’s journey may be over, but at least his wings could carry his own happiness? Is his journey suppose to find the Girl in the Sky, and he gives up on that journey to stay with Kano and Hijiri in that town? I admit, it’s nice to see Yukito finding and gaining a simple happiness with Kano and Hijiri, with the former (Kano) his lover and staying in the town for her at the end of her route. Is that why his journey is over, because he gives up on it on his own will due to finding happiness with Kano?

Also, Yukito’s wings, what are they? Are they referring to something?

Now that I think about it, what the heck happened to Minagi and Misuzu. It’s like they’re blatantly forgotten here. What about their problems?

Okay, thanks, Pepe. It’s just that I wanted to find out the reasons why Yukito is staying in the town. I know it’s for Kano and her elder sister, along with the happiness to have a life with those two, especially Kano who loves him, despite it coming out of left field. Anyway, is Kano’s route that bad or is it just plain and average?

Well… no offense to Kano and her route but, just looking at the first post and the score it got kind of speaks to how bad it is… I don’t think any other route got an average score of less than 3 from our member voters.

A running gag we have is that her route was written by a sumo wrestler because, seriously, the only info we can find about the published author of the route (Takashi Ishikawa) is exactly that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Ishikawa

DOSUKOI!!!

2 Likes

Wow, so Kano’s route is that bad? Can you tell me what flaws made it bad? I mean, it’s not the worst route, but it’s still pretty bad, is what you mean, right? Sure, it touches on some good things, like Yukito’s faith in the girl in the sky being tested, with him deciding to forget at the end of Kano’s Route about his quest to search for her and live with Kano and her older sister. Interesting to see Yukito giving up on his quest to search for the girl in the sky so that he can live with Kano as lovers, due to her being so drawn to him and him finding a little happiness with her and her older sister.

Also, I saw on the AIR Route’s Discussion Page that you made daily points of the AIR route’s timeline. Can you give me the FULL daily points for that route, since it’s the final route? Also, the link you gave for the rest of the daily points for the AIR route no longer works.

There’s a running gag for Kano’s route!? Oh my god, it’s hilarious. A sumo wrestler wrote her route, and it was bad!

Urgh i no longer have it saved, sorry. You’re gonna have to search the forum for it yourself :yahaha:

I did, I checked the AIR Route Discussion Forum and I only saw your first set of daily points. For the rest of the daily points, you placed them in some file, but you no longer have it. I’ll keep looking for the rest if it’s still in the forum, but I don’t think it’s there. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Also, does Kano’s route even relate to the overall story and themes of AIR?

Hmm well first of all I actually quite like Kano herself; she’s a very pleasant personality with a little quirkiness but just lacking that something to make her stand out. It doesn’t help that she’s completely outshone by her sister who is far and away the most interesting character in the route IMO. The story certainly gains some depth compared to the anime despite not being all that long itself.

I tend to agree that the writer(s?) had this end point that they needed to make about the feather and nudging Yukito in the right direction by providing a spark for the Shiraho “flashback”. However the build up to it just isn’t that compelling because of the lack of a real hook in Kano although I certainly don’t hate it. The supernatural elements though for me helped to lift it to a 3/5 but I’m glad to learn the last H-scene was unavoidable as I really thought I’d seriously messed up a choice somewhere, so ill-fitting it seemed.

1 Like