AIR - Kano Kirishima Route & Character Discussion

Wow this topic hasn’t had much discussion has it? heh. Come on guys, we need more Key Points!

I just finished the route. Still trying to formulate my thoughts, but I can’t help but feeling like it wasn’t anywhere near the level of Minagi’s route. It’s like there was no flow, it was over before anything remarkable even happened. The standout gem to me was definitely Shiraho’s story, but unfortunately it was only a very short piece of the product.

Also +1 to that h-scene feeling grossly out of character. Like woooow, it seriously came out of nowhere for me.

3 Likes

Yeah this fits in perfectly with the conversation we were having a couple of nights about about the difference of if an H-scene is thought out and has reasons to be where it is (which is rare) or what it felt like in this situation. “Hey we have a spot here and some stock lines…fill it!” (no pun intended).

I’m playing the All Ages version on my PSP and that edited scene was still awkward as hell and felt completely out of place

PSP?? Do elaborate!

Also I just remembered this route has so far the funniest line in the game, right after the H scene

Well the PSP version is all ages (spoiler about the terrible h-scene) so you go to Kano’s room and you do the kissy kissy and you take off her bandana (like…um…no?) and then instead of seeing them do the s-e-x it’s just heavily implied tahts what they do and the screen just goes black and the next morning comes

Do you still get to wake up to “Kanorin no ecchi!”? Cause if not that is a deal breaker time to go back to the full version.

Yes you still get that (but that alone can not save for the crapocity that was Kano’s route)

Okay so I’ve been playing a bit more and will update my timeline:

July 28

• Yukito wakes up and immediately goes to the clinic and helps clean again
  • Kano arrives and Hijiri tells him to work part time at the clinic
  • Yukito has the option to decline and if he does, he ends up leaving town for good.
  • He returns to the station and finds Minagi and Michiru and says goodbye to them

July 29

• Yukito arrives at the Kirishima Clinic and performs his first musical broadway mopping single!
  • Kano leaves and Hijiri rants to Yukito about a competing hospital
  • She starts getting worried about Kano being late, but Kano suddenly arrives looking for Potato
  • Yukito and Kano go searching for Potato around the school but can’t find him and decide to search around the bridge and shrine
  • Yukito mentions using Kano’s magic, but she can’t do that yet, and starts mentioning the story of her bandana
  • If she keeps the bandana on until she becomes an adult, she can use magic
  • She was teased as a kid because of that but Hijiri always helped her
  • She thought that the fact that Yukito can use magic was scary
  • They retire to the Clinic, but Kano’s mention of lunch refreshes Yukito’s memory! He told Potato to hide in the school bushes back in July 26
  • They find him in the bushes and return to have a dinner in Kirishima clinic
  • Fireworks start in the neighbouring town and Hijiri tasks Yukito to buy some

July 30

• Yukito wakes up and starts cleaning up the aftermath of the Fireworks show
  • He looks around the clinic for a uniform to wear while playing with the medical instruments. Hijiri eventually lets him wear a white coat.
  • Kano wants to help mopping but ends up tipping over the bucket, forcing Yukito to mop again
  • Hijiri worries about getting patients and jokes about Yukito pretending to be a doctor
  • Kano and Yukito go on a walk after dinner and Kano starts talking about her mom, and how she feels guilty about her mom having to leave Hijiri
  • Later that night, Yukito starts worrying about the Kano’s story of her bandana
  • Yukito is awoken by the sisters in the middle of the night. Nyaa~
  • Kano is suddenly possessed again, and Hijiri seems to be familiar with it
  • “This child is my life”, the possessor says
  • Hijiri stops it by hugging on to Kano and Yukito goes back to sleep

Now, I already have a few comments to make, but I don’t want to read the previous posts because I’m not done yet… So if I end up saying something that has already been said, I apologize.

For starters, I notice one thing about Kano’s way of speaking in Japanese which doesn’t seem to be expressed in the translation: she always tends to add a “ne?” in between phrases or at the end of sentences. I guess, in English, it’s the equivalent of adding a “Right?” at the end of phrases. While it doesn’t really mean anything, I was thinking it might signify it being her desiring some sort of acceptance. Since she already said so far that she has some pent-up guilt for having to let Hijiri take care of her instead of her mom, she might be trying to reach out to who she talks to with this verbal tic of hers… Or I might be just overthinking things again :stuck_out_tongue:

Next comment is that, obviously, Hijiri is extreeemely overprotective of Kano. Plus she does literally anything that Kano wishes. Hijiri spoils her quite a lot and that is shown really well in Kano’s character; she is a spoiled brat. Here I was hoping that Kano’s route wouldn’t ruin her character for me, but seeing her throw a tantrum over not being allowed to mop the floor was just… pitiful, really. The thing is, that part about her is something that I consider to be, well, Hijiri’s fault really.

This made me slowly think about one of AIR’s common themes, and it’s something I’ve been thinking about ever since the common route: AIR is all about how our mothers affect our own personality. Hijiri was Kano’s mother figure and we can already see how Kano’s personality was shaped by Hijiri. I mentioned in the Michiru thread as well that I believe that Michiru’s personality came about from how Minagi interacted with her. Finally, I also was thinking way back in the common route that (pre-misuzu route spoilers)the reason why Misuzu acts so weird is because of how Haruka sloppily raised her.

I’ll leave this here for now until I finish the rest of the route, but it’s definitely something that popped in my mind while playing.

1 Like

I think a chunk of Kano’s character is hidden in her habits or tics if you will. I think specifically of something I noticed with her habit of assigning numbers to people.

Not to be forgotten in that is Yukito and his mother. You can’t say how much of his personality he got from her considering how little we know about her, but she gave him his literal bearing in life, his whole goal in life to this point has been to fulfill the wishes of his mother I would think, I doubt not even knowing who the girl in the sky was that Yukito would be so fervent in searching for her had it not been handed down to him from his mother.

Best line in the game. XD

2 Likes

I know I’m pretty close to the ending but I gotta sleep soon so I thought I’d post my timeline plus some more thoughts again before I go~

July 31

• Yukito awakens to find a note saying “Please stay with Kano” and Hijiri having left the clinic
  • He leaves and sees Hijiri in the distance and follows her to the shrine
  • She says she is there “to seek atonement because I know my wish can’t come true”
  • They return to the clinic to have breakfast and Kano seems to have caught a cold
  • Hijiri forces Kano to bed, appointing Yukito to be her waiter
  • Hijiri has to attend a meeting and leaves, and Yukito finds that Kano is missing from her room
  • He finds Kano at the shrine again, possessed, and attempts to strangle Yukito
  • She suddenly stops, and Yukito brings her back home, unconscious

August 1

• Yukito ends up sleeping until 6pm because and is left with strangle marks
  • Hijiri apologizes and tells Yukito of the story of the other girl
  • Possession started after their mom died, when they approached the shrine after the festival and Kano found a feather
  • Kano used to cut herself with a scalpel when she was possessed as a kid, and Hijiri gave her the bandana to hide her scars
  • Hijiri studied medicine in hopes of curing Kano and suspects that Kano has a split personality
  • “She” has been coming out more often recently and has a stronger presence, as noted by the strangle marks (which aren’t physical bruises)
  • Kano approaches Yukito in the middle of the night to say good night

August 2

• Yukito wakes up sleepless and starts on the morning chores
  • Kano invites him on a walk after lunch, and talks to him about the girl in the sky
  • Yukito is left alone and goes to the shrine and tries to get the feather
  • The shrine is locked and he fails at opening it even after Potato finds him a key
  • They return and Hijiri is out of town. Kano cooks and Yukito is KO-ed by her cooking
  • Kano approaches him in the middle of the night saying she wants to give herself to him
  • They make love and Yukito is able to remove her bandana and sees no scars

August 3

• A scene appears detailing a tiny fragment of happiness
  • Yukito wakes up and finds Kano missing again but she just went out to get him a change of clothes
  • Everything is back to normal and Kano and Yukito go out on a walk again
  • She asks about the meaning of Yukito’s magic because “Magic exists to make someone happy”
  • Kano leaves for pet duty and Yukito ends up at the bus stop, pondering to leave
  • He returns to the clinic, and finds a letter from Kano with his old clothes
  • She says she is deciding to go to the sky and apologizes for Yukito’s neck
  • Yukito can either find her or choose to leave
  • If Yukito fails at finding her, but is greeted by Potato as soon as he returns to the clinic
  • Potato leads him to the shrine where Kano is, and Yukito finds her in a pool of blood

So far I am getting reaaally really interested in what is happening with Kano. I genuinely want to know what causes her to have her split personality and her fear of lights starting when Yukito arrives. I just hope they actually explain it later on~

One thing I’ve noticed is that Hijiri said in Minagi’s route that mental illnesses aren’t her specialty, and yet, she seems to have studied that heavily in hopes of understanding Kano’s problem. What gives, Hijiri!?

Also, I also got the bad end, where Yukito remains unable to find Kano, and I thought of it as sort of a romantic and bittersweet ending, because he genuinely believes that Kano is now in the sky, and he leaves on his journey no longer to simply find the girl with wings, but to find Kano who also now remains in the sky

1 Like

~Plothole~

If by explaining this later on you mean they never revisit it or explain why it started when Yukito showed up and not when the feather flashbanged her…then yes thats exactly what happens.

Plothole and broken spoiler tag double whammy!

1 Like

Aaaaaaand I’m done! Now to put in my final timeline:

August 4

• We are shown the world of the lights again
  • Yukito wakes up in the afternoon. Hijiri treated Kano all through the night
  • Yukito realizes something after using Houjutsu and brings Hijiri and Kano to the shrine
  • The padlock can’t be open because of Yukito’s messing around, so Hijiri just destroys it
  • Yukito feels something upon getting the feather and lays it on Kano’s chest
  • Lights burst into the room, and memories start pouring in from the feather
  • A voice called “Shiraho” tells them a story, about her husband and her child Yakumo
  • Yakumo had a birthmark on her wrist, and that it was a bad omen
  • Yakumo got a feather that fell down, and it started glowing, and Shiraho wished for her child to grow healthy
  • A war came along and her husband was forced to leave, but suddenly a large wind sunk all the enemy’s ships
  • Sometime later, a government official was looking for anybody had touched a glowing feather, so the next day they left the village
  • They eventually found and lived in the shrine in the village
  • The priest in the shrine says the villagers see her child as a bad omen, and Shiraho decides cut her own wrist as an offering to save her child
  • They are suddenly shown the festival, seeing Kano and her mom, and Kano telling her she wants to go home to Hijiri, Potato and Yukito
  • Her mom asks Kano to come with her but Kano declines, and she tells Kano to be happy there

August 13

• Yukito falls in the stream again, and Kano reminds him they are going to the festival
  • She still wears the bandana to hide the scar from August 3
  • The festival is still empty, but they see Hijiri there
  • Yukito tells Hijiri that his power hasn’t come back since that day, and he was asleep for 3 days
  • The feather also disappeared and was replaced by a fake
  • Hijiri buys Kano a balloon before leaving

Now first and foremost, how do I feel about this route? I feel exactly the same way about how I felt during Minagi’s Normal End. It felt so bad because Yukito so easily gives up his quest, and yet I feel soooo good because of how he ends up staying.

The last thing Kano says that makes him do that is “dame ka na? (That’s okay, isn’t it?)” which she says the first time Yukito decides to skip having flowing soumen with her and enter the Minagi route instead. This is like her final way of asking for something that she really wants. Yes Kano is selfish, Kano is spoiled, but in the end, she’s also innocent and lets Yukito have the burden of making those decisions for her. So when he does, it makes me feel guilty. It’s not what should be done but it is what Yukito wants to be done, or rather, by the end, it’s the only thing he feels that can be done. I can understand why many people would dislike her for it, but I don’t feel anything against it.

We can see towards the end how guilty she feels after realizing that she was the cause of both Yukito and Hijiri’s distress and tries to run away from it (which is kind of a very Japanese thing to do, pardon the stereotyping). So I can’t see her as someone bad just somebody very, very childish. Again, I don’t want to blame anybody for that, but Hijiri doesn’t really give her the opportunity to stand for herself…

It is a stark contrast to Minagi’s route, where Michiru drives Yukito to continue his search, Kano’s route drives him into the ground to stay with him. She even uses her “magic” to force Yukito to stay. Unlike Minagi’s Normal End, Yukito doesn’t give up his quest because he needs to. This time, he does it because he wants to; because he loves the village and loves Kano and treats them (incl. Hijiri and Potato) as his new family. That kind of signifies the two major outcomes of every generation of Yukito’s family: Either continuing their quest and dying in vain, or succumbing to human desires and pushing that responsibility onto the next generation. Which reminds meeee… @Takafumi you owe as a continuation on your theory about AIR being a warning about Japanese work ethic! XP

That being said, I don’t have much to respond to the other people in this topic about the route. A lot of people say that Kano’s character was uninteresting, which I feel is a bit subjective. I personally noticed many cues that make her interesting. Another point is that her route was badly written and, well… Yeah it kind of was xP So I guess I’ll skip on the arguing part that I love doing hahaha

My next comment is regarding the sex scene. I feel that it was an excuse for Yukito to remove her bandana. We know that she can remove it “once she becomes an adult” and sex is often seen as a stepping stone towards adulthood. It’s kind of something I could see a mile away even in the common route. But the whole point is that, after removing the bandana, Yukito sees that Kano is pretty normal. There isn’t any magic, there isn’t any scars, but Kano is just who she is, and what happens to her is just an unfortunate turn of events that Kano has become a victim of.

Now then! Onto the meat of the story, which was never explained! What in tarnation is the whole possession thing about? Yeah they never explained it. At all. So now we are left to figure out what the hell happened and how it happened. The way I see it is this: Kano, as a kid, wanted to reach the sky to reach her mother because she felt guilty about having left Hijiri to take care of her. This desire coincided with the desire of the feather. The feather, I believe, comes from one of the wings of the girl. I think it is natural, then, to think that the feather desires to return to the sky, to its rightful place, and Kano’s desire is the reason why it glows for her and not for Hijiri or any of the other priests.

But now, how does Shiraho fit into all this? I think this also coincides with her desires. Shiraho only desired a place where she and her child could be accepted without faults. I feel that the field of pampas grass was an abstract representation of that place that Shiraho wanted to reach. All these desires piled up and caused that possession. Her cutting of her wrists signifies Shiraho’s sacrificing of herself. Her strangling of Yukito represents Shiraho’s strangling of her child, because both Yukito and the child have this connection to the girl in the sky.

Long story short, the whole possession thing happened because all the entities were desperately trying to reach the sky, and after Kano realizes that she wishes to stay with her present family, the magic disappeared. She probably realized it early on, like @Misuzu said, but Yukito had to make that path for her. Kind of like how you need magic to counteract magic.

That is only my opinion on how the possession works, so I am excited to hear you guys discussing it, since @EisenKoubu did put it in as one of his keypoints. To be more specific on that keypoint. What do you guys think is the main driving force behind Kano’s possession, and why did it stop after Yukito made a path for her?

Lastly, time to go on to my keypoints! My first keypoint is this: Yukito doesn’t understand his own Houjutsu, but once he touches the feather, he is able to do something that he never seemed to be aware he was capable of doing. Does Yukito use his houjutsu with the feather, despite not knowing how it works? Is his connection with the feather unconscious? This might only contribute to, like, 5 minutes of discussion on the podcast, but I do want to hear some other thoughts about it!

Second keypoint is, as I stated before, How does Hijiri’s upbringing affect Kano’s personality? Could Hijiri could have done something different to have avoided this near-catastrophe? I think this might be another keypoint that would be worth bringing up again once we go on to the next part of the story.

I guess that’s enough for now. All in all, I didn’t dislike Kano’s route. It gave me some memorable emotions, which is the whole point of Nakige (points to Nakige thread), and while it could have been written better, it gives us a contrasting opinion on Yukito’s whole mission. Sure, it wasn’t all about Kano, but that’s okay, too.

3 Likes

I’M NOT ALONE! I was scared I lost my Kano ally there for a while good to see you come out the other side.

[quote=“Pepe, post:35, topic:332”]
Another point is that her route was badly written and, well… Yeah it kind of was
[/quote]Aspi, Yerian, and I actually touched on this quite a bit on skype the other day. I think it was Aspi that mentioned the interesting idea of maybe it was written so poorly (ie the super amount of unresolved plot) for a reason that will be revealed later in the story. Granted yes there is a ton that is pretty inexcusable.

We know that she can remove it “once she becomes an adult” and sex is often seen as a stepping stone towards adulthood. It’s kind of something I could see a mile away
[/quote]This becomes a kind of funny point and paints Yukito in an interesting light when you note how many times during the route he talks about how it won’t be long before she removes the bandanna.

Her cutting of her wrists signifies Shiraho’s sacrificing of herself. Her strangling of Yukito represents Shiraho’s strangling of her child, because both Yukito and the child have this connection to the girl in the sky.
[/quote]I get the ties to what happened in the past and how each is represented but it still made no sense to me why she would do some of these things. I guess a good question to ask would be was Shiraho aware that she was possessing Kano? If so why would she want to harm Kano or Yukito? Also what was that ability to damage them below their skin with just her bare hands? The first time she used Hijiri’s scalpel but when Yukito finds Kano at the temple there is no knife.

That kind of signifies the two major outcomes of every generation of Yukito’s family: Either continuing their quest and dying in vain, or succumbing to human desires and pushing that responsibility onto the next generation.
[/quote]Yukito’s decision shouldn’t really be taken lightly here though and just say “Well he wasn’t the first to fail”. While that is true its entirely possible he will be the last and he knows it. Yuktio himself is the one who tells us that the power is waning and that his might be the last generation that it manifests in at all. I feel like that would have weighed on his mind even more so when he was wrestling with the idea of abandoning his mission to go in search of his own happiness.

2 Likes

I’m definitely more fond of the idea that she is just a lost spirit who happened to get stuck possessing Kano. It doesn’t sit well with me from a literary standpoint, but it seems to make the most sense. She has no motive for cutting herself or strangling Yukito other than “she’s unaware she’s doing it”. It’s like she can’t move on because of her regrets binding her to the Earth, and her soul ended up stuck inside the feather. It is odd though, that she possessed Kano instead of Hijiri.

Maybe that’s it… Maybe she possessed Kano because she saw Kano had the wish to fly to the sky and meet her mother. We know that the sky is synonymous with heaven in AIR. I can only imagine a spirit like that would only want to move on and ascend into heaven, rather than being bound to the earth. No doubt she’d even meet her daughter in the sky as well.

Again, from a literary standpoint, this is pretty botchy. But it’s the best explanation I’ve found so far.

I had it written up, I just haven’t gotten around to reading anything in this thread yet… Gonna have to catch up soon ><

Kano comes from what was once a happy family. They were never particularily wealthy, but they got by. Their father owned a clinic, but he didn’t make much money. Food wasn’t plentiful, and luxuries were rare. When Kano’s mother died, she and her sister Hijiri struggled. Hijiri couldn’t bare telling Kano what had happened to their mother, so they told her that her mother was watching them from the sky.
One day they decided to go to a festival, and using all of their pocket money, they bought a balloon… that very quickly flew away.
After some crying and walking, they went to the shrine, where they found a feather. After touching it Kano changed… She was cursed.
A girl who was told her mother was above, became obsessed with the sky, and then she was entrapped by the girl in the sky.
After all of this, their father dies.
A poor family was reduced to a parentless family.
Misuzu has a mother. Minagi has a mother.
All Kano has is a sister and a curse.

Her sister takes over the family clinic, and they manage to survive somehow, but their living condition isn’t good. However, compared to the other two heroines Kano is living the most family-focused life style. The family occupation has been passed down. The two siblings get along.
Somehow, despite being a family of two sisters, they are the most traditional family in AIR.

They have what appears to be the perfect balance. No overworking. No disconnect between family members. They are poor, but that is fine for them. Hijiri has to work throughout the night sometimes, but that’s not standard.

Despite losing a lot, they manage to keep on top of everything… But they are lost to the past. They might be living, but they are haunted by the past. They can’t focus on the future. They might be working, but what for? For family? For a family that is broken and plagued with problems they don’t understand.
They are hopeful. Waiting for a problem to fix over time. Until that problem miraculously fixes it’s self, they work, and they smile, and they slowly become more distant from their family values. They slowly lose the reason they are working for…
Eventually, they are just working.

But luckily we get Yukito butting in! So what path does he take this time around?

The common route is the one in which Yukito loses focus of his goal and switches to a focus on work.
The Minagi route is the one in which Yukito finds his resolve - something to resolve his search for the girl in the sky, even if it means leaving the people he loves behind.

Now the Kano route… The Kano route is the one in which Yukito starts to question his goal. It’s also the route where he realizes what he’s doing; half-heartedly following a goal set by the past, with no time spent thinking of the future. He is living life as he was told to, without even understanding the alternatives.

The girl in the sky.
The reason I continue my journey.
I’m probably the only one who could accept that reason.
A vague journey like something out of a dream.
It’s been my way of life ever since my mother taught it to me.
I understand.
I might not believe in a girl in the sky after all.
Maybe I’m just looking for a reason to stay on my journey.
Because I don’t know any other way of living.
I ask myself a question.
What do I want to do?
Where do I want to go?
I don’t have a clue.

On the other hand, he’s spending time with a girl who could possibly be cursed by the girl in the sky. A girl whose condition suddenly got worse after he arrived.
It can be said that the girl in the sky is an enemy in this route.
This is the one where Yukito realizes how much of an impossibilty his current way of living is.
Does he want to reach that goal? What does he do after reaching the goal?

Yukito wasn’t given a life. He was given a task. He was tasked with solving a problem, and stopping it from spreading into the future.
Save the girl in the sky, before the Houjutsu becomes too weak.
It’s such a vague goal though. How is he going to dedicate himself to finding a single person without losing focus on his work? What will his life be after that? A life with this mysterious person? A life alone? A life at all?

In Japan, the current generation is going through a similar thing. They are one of the generations that have to solve everything, before it gets out of hand.
Save the country’s population, before the economy becomes too weak. Find a partner and keep your family ideals strong.
It’s such a vague goal though. How are they going to dedicate themselves to finding a single person without losing focus on their work? What will life be after that? A life with this mysterious person? A life alone? A life at all?

Kano’s route is the story of a family plagued and obssessed with a past.
Contrast this to the story of Shiraho - someone who sacrificed herself for a hopeful future. A future that never came.

One loses to the past. One loses to the future.
And Yukito, who represents the present, has no idea where he should be going, or what he wanted in the first place.

Then… they make a decision… and the past and the future seemingly disappear from their world. They have a present.
The girl in the sky might be lost forever, and the work of the past may be left behind, but everyone can live their own lives this way.

5 Likes

Despite not really liking the route, I do like Kano. She’s a good character, just not my favorite.
I find that the route has the most promise, and the most content to really talk about, but it falls short. It’s like the writers forgot what they were writing.

That thing was hell to work with. They had a bit of character development sandwiched in-between, but since it was a H-scene, none of the lines were voiced! The actual scene was out of the left field. Kano obviously likes Yukito, but she’s kinda bashful about it. That’s thrown out of the window in the H-scene. Yukito’s character was broken too. Maybe if he’d spent more time there it’d have fit him, but he’s the type of guy that really thinks about everything that’s going on before even humoring a person.

Compared to the Minagi one, it’s really bad. It’s worse than the Misuzu one in some aspects.

Sounds like they had the same problem.

I think this is similar to what you brought up about Misuzu’s way of speaking. It might not be translated as such, but the effect comes over in the voice acting. “Ne?” is probably the first thing to come to mind when I think of Kano.
Kano feels very curious, and some would call it needy. I think it makes her feel young too (just not as young as Misuzu.)

1 Like

I kind of find that hard to swallow because, well, I don’t believe in spirits or souls. I honestly viewed it more as the culmination of the desires of Shiraho and the feather imparting themselves into Kano. The feather was referred to as a “vessel” after all.

But that’s just my opinion

As for @Takafumi I do like your theory. Yeah, they are working but their only reason for working is co-existence. Hijri seems to have given up finding the meat of the Kano’s problem and also seems reluctant to bring her to a specialized psychiatrist. All for the sake of sweeping the problem under the rug. The same thing she did with the bandana; she tries to let Kano forget about her problems instead of fixing them. Gee all this introspection is making me like Hijiri less and less x.x

But there is one part I want to clarify:

This is because of Kano, yes? Because she is guilty about the death of her mother?

I noticed. Actually, I honestly wonder what the vanilla memorial edition is like. Some of the lines were actually voiced! Did you base your editing on what was in the memorial edition script, or did you edit it yourself based on what was important in the story?

I would imagine that the voice actors speak what is written in the dialogue word-for-word. So when the non-voiced dialogue has Kano saying “ne”, they also have the VAs saying that.

I’ve realised that whenever Kano is posssed, she’s reciting words she spoke in her lifetime. Either the song about her child (is that a real song btw?) or things like “This child is my life. She’s my only treasure.”, “I’ll do it with my own hands” etc. It’s less like a consciousness inhabiting Kano, and more like an echo.

The problem is that I don’t see why they did this form a literary standpoint. Why go through the effort of creating this character, and causing her grief to give Kano so much trouble? Not only does Shiraho’s story have NOTHING to do with Kano, but sadly, Shiraho’s story never reached any kind of resolution. Not in her past, not in the present.

Except… Maybe, just maybe, the connection is how Kano’s mother died. Much like Shiraho, Kano’s mother could be thought of as ‘sacrificing herself to save her daughter’. They didn’t show us what happened to Yakumo after her mother died. Realistically, it’s likely that she was sacrificed, but by the way this story is presented, I think they want us to believe that her Shiraho’s sacrifice lead to Yakumo surviving into the future. Perhaps, even if they aren’t the same person, hearing Kano thank her mother for giving birth to her would have been some kind of salvation for Shiraho’s spirit, as if she’s hearing the wishes of her own daughter through Kano.

Either that or… I dunno, you could flip it around with the interpretation that there is no soul of Shiraho inside Kano. Instead, it’s like Kano’s taking on Shiraho’s memories due to her regret of causing her mother suffering. And by being able to thank her mother, she can let go of those regrets and stop being possessed by those memories that aren’t hers.

It’s still a very botchy route, but I’m trying to make as much sense of it as I can :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I have a question for the history nerds here. Can anybody pinpoint what war might have been taking place during Shiraho’s story?