AIR - Common Route Discussion

Interviews some time ago. I don’t have the exact sources right now, but there’s this old thing about scouting out AIR locations.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070302103022/http://htc.moon.st/ota/05041601.html

1 Like

So Minagi is best girl and Hijiri is fucking amazing.

Totally agree with you Pu… wait, Purple?
Hey guys, come see this!

Meanwhile, their partners in crime, Michiru and Kano, are the worst of the bunch. Kano’s much better than Michiru, but compared to Misuzu and Minagi…

2 Likes

I don’t exactly know why people love Minagi so much. Her manner of speaking frustrates me.
I quite like Kano, though, and I hope her route doesn’t ruin her for me.

I guess my opinions are subject to change once I finish the game :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a huge Minagi fan
Once you start to become more acquainted with her her manner of speaking does get a little better
I absolutely adore Michiru though! I think she’s awesome :smiley:

Kano on the other hand ><
She’s my least favorite Key heroine out of all of them
And Hijiri is just as annoying ><

Today I finished July 22nd which ended with Yukito getting led by Potato to where Kano was possessed and Hijiri comes up and they have the whole pervert-confusion dilemma that dragged on forever

I believe the 23rd is the last day of the common route with the bad end?? I think so

Its interesting to me how much Air’s common route hints towards the character routes. (Kano Spoils) You have Kano’s little episode at the temple with the ominous speech and blacking out. (Misuzu spoils) Misuzu’s mention of her other self in the sky is repeated and Yukito take a keen interest in it(Minagi Spoils) Minagi has the near slip up during her introduction

I don’t really remember Little Busters or Rewrite dropping such obvious hints (or allusions) to the character’s route during the common. It also makes it interesting that Yukito is able to (bad end spoils) shut down his curiosity and convince himself that the thought that Misuzu could be the girl in the sky is nonsense and just walk away

1 Like

I’ve only played a few routes of Little Busters and I have not played Rewrite but the foreshadowing in Little Busters is ridiculous (although a lot of the foreshadowing is for Refrain but there are still some allusions for each character’s routes)
For instance, (Komari spoils) When Komari is talking about her goldfish but she can’t remember what happened to it (it died) and she just remembers that one day it was there and the next it was gone. (Mio spoils) Mio’s nickname is literally “no shadow” because she always carries the parasol and is silent like a shadow and the “no shadow”-ness plays a huge role in her route (Haruka spoils) During the sleepover Futaki is brought up and Haruka makes a scoffing noise in passing or whenever Futaki is mentioned Haruka is noticably wanting to change the subject. That’s just some examples but it just goes to show that there’s a lot that if you aren’t looking for it you won’t notice. Key really is amazing at foreshadowing in all of their games and AIR is definitely no exception.

3 Likes

It may just be a case of I went into Little Busters blind and so didn’t really know what to look for in the routes whereas I have seen the Air anime so I have a clue of whats up. I didn’t miss the Refrain cues though in Little Busters (well I did when I played through but after Refrain I caught them) and it was amazing how well they camouflaged all of it while giving you so much information. The only thing is in Air I feel like its a little more direct its in the common route in that (Misuzu) the game has basically already told us that Misuzu is going to be his girl with wings. I personally thing they could have left that ambitious and sorta strung the reader out a bit especially with every heroine’s fixation on the sky (wings, astronomy, etc.)

1 Like

I do agree with that.
(Misuzu) I think it was day 02 that Misuzu is like “the girl with the wings you’re looking for I think is the other me in the sky.” and Yukito is like “yeah probs.”
Even Misuzu’s quote in the opening theme gives it away - and you don’t even MEET Misuzu until after the opening theme.
And the Memorial Edition of the game cover and OST cover pretty much give it away too.
Like we can tone it back just a bit
Thankfully there’s a lot left to be discovered with Misuzu

Yeah AIR’s format is very noticeable weird. (Overall VN spoilers) Like, if Yukito’s journey is searching for his girl with wings, it’s very strange that the first girl he meets is obviously that person. By going into the other routes, you have to knowingly avoid Misuzu. It’s like you’re going out of your way for something you know isn’t what you’re looking for. It could’ve been done a lot better.

Speaking of, I just finished my readthrough of common. It was actually a lot shorter than I was expecting, so I was a bit taken aback by how sudden it was. Going back to how AIR is formatted weirdly, I guess a lot of these ‘common route’ scenes are in part broken down into the Minagi and Kano branches, which makes things weirder again. I still think this was the best way to tackle it for the bookclub though. I’ll save most of my thoughts on the route for the podcast.

So, how far through common are all of you?

I’d actually like it if you guys could remain conscious of something. I decided to make it 2 weeks per route to give members plenty of time to read, but it’s quite possible that in future bookclubs we’ll need to cut down the reading time to one week per route. (looking at you CLANNAD.) With that said, I have a request.

If you can, try to get each route read within a week. I’d like for you guys to help me judge whether a week per route is a reasonable amount of time or not. I know everybody has different lifestyles, so the time it takes everyone will differ from individual to individual. But I’d really like if I could get some kind of understanding of how long people are taking to read each route.

If you can’t squeeze it into a week, don’t force yourself! Basically what I mean is, if you can, avoid loafing around just because you have two weeks to spare. If a lot of people show me they can get the reading done in the timespan of a week, that will be quite reassuring.

Let me know how you go.

Weird, from my playthrough, I wasn’t able to get that Kano scene, even though the choices I made was supposedly going to give me that scene. I’m gonna go back and try and get it now.

I’m not using the walkthrough, BTW, so I’ve seen a few different stuff that you others may have not yet. Especially with Misuzu suddenly breaking down. That was some crazy stuff

EDIT: Okay so apparently, you need to both ask Kano about her bandana AND perform the puppet show for Hijiri to get the Kano sumo scene then pick the right choices there to get to Kano’s possessed scene

The common route is definitely short so a week should be fine
Also Misuzu’s route in Dream and the Summer route are both relatively short so one week should be fine
Kano and especially Minagi’s routes are on the long side so 2 weeks should be needed for that and for the true Air arc

I just finished all of the common route, with all the decisions, and, hopefully, all the combinations of decisions. Well I didn’t stop at the bad end, but I finished everything up to July 23 :slight_smile:

It’s interesting how some decisions affect others days after you choose them. Like how you have more than one opportunity to get hit by Haruko’s Bike :wink:

I’m pretty sure he means for the future bookclubs, I could be wrong but I think we are sticking with the two week routes for Air.

Oh I’m not changing the format for this bookclub, but I want to see if people can feasibly squish their reading time into a week. Whether it’s the first or second week doesn’t matter. I just wanna see how people go.

i cannot see why people dont think shes best girl
4 Likes

I have finished the common route (at least the bad ending!)

One scene that always breaks my heart that took place in the common route (and will also take place in both Kano and Minagi’s routes) is when Yukito tells Misuzu that he isn’t going to be staying at her house anymore. She puts up such a strong front but it breaks my heart cause I just know she went home and probably just cried and cried. </3 Anything even slightly bad happening to Misuzu and I just want to cuddle her and drink peach nectar and gao-gao.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure she’d do the same thing even during the Bad End. It’s pretty sad to know that, though :frowning: There’s always a side to a choice we make in a VN that we aren’t shown that may seem a lot deeper than it actually is

1 Like

Finished the common route up to the bad end today.

Minagi is a pretty interesting character alright, I look forward to her route and seeing more of her. Her leitmotif is the best too. Love that music.

Kano is… well, she’s average, I guess. Doesn’t really stand out.

Misuzu is adorable.

I found the common route a very enjoyable read. Boy, is it fun to be in Yukito’s head.

4 Likes

When Taka was glorifying the bad end I was expecting some feels shit there.

I should’ve known better :^)