Which Key character do you identify with?

Throughout our experience with Key works, we have surely encountered a few characters that are similar to ourselves personality-wise. Sometimes, a character has a philosophy similar to our own. Sometimes, a character has influenced us a great deal. Sometimes, they make the same decisions and the same mistakes as we did or would have.

These characters are not always our favorites, though. Some people don’t like themselves and judge themselves harshly, thus reflecting the same feelings onto the characters that are most similar to them.

Use this topic to describe yourself by comparing yourself to the Key character you think is the most similar to you right now. It’s something like a special, more personal form of self-introduction. After all, many of us know a great deal about certain Key characters. Which traits do you share? What are the differences between the two of you? Did others sometimes compare you to said character or mention traits that you two have in common? Additionally, if you dream of becoming more like a different Key character, feel free to write about that, too.

Also, if you disagree with a forum member’s comparison or if you think there are other characters they are similar to, go right ahead and tell them. Just remember to be empathetic, ok?

Of course, the most outstanding personality traits of characters are often connected to their route plots or even the story’s main/final route. Therefore, make sure to use [spoiler] tags, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

So, let’s get to know each-other even better!

2 Likes

I don’t know which Key character I am (Ayu Tsukimiya maybe if I wasn’t a boy), but Akio Furukawa is the type of character i want to become.

3 Likes

I’d say for sure that I never identified myself so much with a character like I did with Tomoya. For more than once, I found myself to be pretty amazed at how similar our way of thinking was and how our situations intertwined. When every morning Tomoya thought about how there was no meaning in getting up and going to school if that meant he would only find things he didn’t wanted to find and struggle against things he didn’t wanted to struggle, the way he was always frowning and always being super passive about things, I couldn’t help but to see myself in him. I’m not as funny or kakkoii as he is though :yahaha:. Anyway, I wish I was more Fuuko.

2 Likes

This is mostly going to be a transcript of (Warning, LB Refrain spoilers) a post I made previously in a different topic.

The Key character I indentify with the most is Miyazawa Kengo from Little Busters.
I’m often told that I’m pretty serious and strict and I often look down on silly behavior. I tend to tell others what to do and how to behave. It is sometimes seen as mature, at other times I just look like a big sourpuss and both are probably right. At some point, I started approaching things with a “If you’re gonna do a job, do it right” attitude. I aim to be a person who lives by the values they have decided on. I set high standards for myself and others, which sometimes gets pretty annoying. I guess some of my values may seem kinda old-fashioned, too. But under the right circumstances, I do join in and do silly stuff with others like everyone else, much to the surprise of those around me.

I value friendship more than anything (got high standards for that, too) and I’m ready to do everything in my power, should those dear to me need help.

What puts me apart from Kengo is that I don’t actually have a clear goal or anything I can dedicate myself to. I don’t train my body and mind like Kengo does. I do have discipline, and I do work hard when I really get into it, but it heavily depends on the time and place.

The biggest similarity between me and Kengo is that (Refrain spoilers) I simply want to spend as much of my time as possible having fun. I didn’t have much fun in my teenage years - not because I did something more important, like Kengo did, but simply because I’m a loner - and I often look back at that time with regret. The happiest times of my life probably were the three years before graduation. I wish I had spent more time like that. I hate working and studying. It takes away my precious time that I’d rather spend playing around. I don’t want to toil and suffer pointlessly. Imagining that my effort could go unrewarded, that my hard work may be for naught in the end is one of the scariest thoughts to me. Just imagining being in the same situation as kengo around the end of refrain terrifies me. Therefore, even if it’s counterproductive or possibly an even greater “waste of time”, I’m always trying to do something I enjoy. Even if it has no value outside of simple entertainment. That way, even if everything else fails, I can still look back and say the time wasn’t completely wasted because I was at least having some fun. In truth, I just want to play around all the time. So in the end, no matter how mature and serious I act, I am the most childish one of them all. And I also am a crybaby.

There was a time on Kaza when I got into a fight and decided to start taking it easy. I had switched my avatar to this one for a while (late common route, kinda)

though I eventually changed it back to my standard Kyousuke avatar, probably because the next bookclub was coming up or something.

So far, at least one Kaza member has confirmed my similarity to Kengo:

7 Likes

I really identify a lot with Ayu. I don’t have a really deep connection, but more so an overall I can relate to her. She’s very food forward, mostly to taiyaki. But I have quite a list of food that I would go just as crazy for. I also had to go and try some taiyaki when I was in Japan and do so every time I see it.

Her childish personality definitely reminds me of myself, as I think I can be that way a lot. Especially with my massive collection of toys and figures. I also feel like Ayu represents nostalgia and not forgetting your past. I collect toys from the 80s, a decade I was born in. Memories are very important to be especially when looking back at them. So when Ayu says that she wishes Yuuichi to not forget her, it hurts so much. It’s like she’s saying to forget the happy memories.

I also bought a duffle coat for my winter jacket in Japan to be as close to Ayu’s as possible (Cospa one is crazy expensive and I wouldn’t use it). I even cosplayed as her in 2002 (need to find that photo) and made her backpack from and existing bag that I modified. Now I own her backpack too that I wear at conventions. I’ve also went to extra lengths to find the exact pattern of her socks. I managed to find some :ahaha:

5 Likes

Tomoya. His initial hatred of his town really resonated with me. By the end of his journey, I kind of grew with him, and gained a greater appreciation for where I live, and the people around me.

5 Likes

Although I’m a girl, I’ve always felt a strong connection with Youhei Sunohara… :joy::joy::joy:
Something about his goofiness/silliness and the way he looked at school and life in general really resonated with younger me. I was kind of of a bad kid when I hit high school and wasn’t on good terms with my relatives, specifically my younger sister. That, and I dyed my hair blonde, too. Haha but yeah, he’s always been my go-to Key character!

7 Likes

I would say I identify the most with Sayuri Kurata from Kanon. I think the main reason for that is, she speaks about herself in third person because she wants to detach herself because of some terrible things she did in the past. I can certainly relate to that. There is also a part of the visual novel and the anime that hints at her self harming after her brother’s death. She blames herself for being too hard on him and honestly I feel like I have been too harsh to people I am close to as well. I would like for my self esteem problems and not feeling worth people’s time to go away, but it hangs over me a lot. It’s nice to relate to a character from my favorite series because in a way it makes me feel less alone, but I’m still looking for a friend as good as Mai I guess. :ahaha:

5 Likes

For me it’s Akane Senri from Rewrite. Or was for a long time, but the feeling still sticks.
She’s about as lazy and pragmatic as I am, she’s somewhat smart but no genius, which fits my self-evaluation. Generally she felt the most similar to me when I encountered her
Additionaly, although that’s what’s changed, (Rewrite) I felt a connection when I was not perfectly happy with life as it is and going more towards a Gaia direction in the past for myself. That has changed a lot since I originally read Rewrite though.

1 Like

Kazamatsuri has been a place for me to really discover my identity and I’d like to share that with all of you. I’ve been meaning to write a post in this topic for over a year. I remember @Naoki_Saten telling us about his topic idea and I already knew what to write but it’s taken literally a year. I didn’t write in that time span though so don’t expect anything too high quality.

The Key character I most identify with is an easy answer for me. Of course, the character would be from a story about stars, words, God, and robots. And that character is the Junker/Hoshi no Hito. From here on are spoilers for planetarian and Hoshi no Hito.

There are seven main similarities I can think of between him and I. A lot of these I’ve even talked about in my analysis. So, check those out too. I categorize these into pairings. What the Junker has experienced vs what I have experienced. These things are Rain (Sin), Invitation (Grace), Repair (Transformation), Projection (Faith), Sacrifice (Salvation), Mission (Purpose), and Reunion (Promise).

Rain – Sin inevitably ruins everything
In planetarian, the Rain never ceases. One can wear a waterproof cloak but that will not stop you or your possessions from being rendered useless or just uncomfortably soaked. The Junker himself experiences pains of many kinds in the Rain. He says, “The Rain continued to fall without regard for dar or night, snatching away even the sunlight from this world and obliterating the seasons. It poisoned the soil and the water, withered the plants, cracked concrete, and turned steel into rusty garbage.” A little later he finds that even his cigarettes, which are some of the few reasons he has to live at this point, are ruined by the Rain. But there was a time before the Rain. In Yumemi’s memories of the pre-war era, we see that there was a time of peace and beauty all over. Sure, it showed signs of collapse but in that time, mankind was fulfilling its supposed purpose to spread their wings to the stars. But due to greed and other prideful reasons, people fought and destroyed each other. Soon after, an eternal rain started falling, almost as if it was judgment. This is just like sin in our world. According to Genesis 1 through 3, there was a time and place before sin. It was called the Garden of Eden. What made it special was that it was a space in which both God and man could dwell. Man, or Adam, was created to be an image of the creator God and rule alongside him. He was still made to work, but his work was fulfilling and he was generously given all he needed. But it all comes to ruin when in greed and pride, the first humans take the forbidden fruit which is their desire to rule themselves on their own terms and everything falls apart. Because God is holy, he cannot allow them to stay in Eden and so casts them out and pronounces judgements like how work will no longer be as fulfilling or easy. Yet he still desires a relationship, which is symbolized later in both stories. Their sin has polluted our world just like the Rain of planetarian. We make mistakes of many kinds. We can’t avoid it. I, myself, have been selfish, told lies, rebelled against my parents, hated other people, and cursed frequently. I still do have a lot of these issues. There are some things that I’ve done that at times have overwhelmed me with regret. This is the world we live in now. And we would be stuck in this ruined world if not for the hope of a refuge. Just as the Junker finds his shelter at the planetarium, so do I find refuge in the knowledge of God.

Invitation – Grace beyond measure
In planetarian, the first thing we hear is “Why don’t you come to the planetarium? The beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade no matter what. All the stars in the sky are waiting for you.” But I also hear “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry, everything to the Lord in prayer.” Who am I that I should have this privilege? And who is the Junker that he should be treated as a special customer, the long awaited 2,500,000th, even though he isn’t? This is all grace for both the Junker and me. It’s an undeserved gift.

Repair – Transformation of the heart
“How did I even get here?” is the impression I get from the Junker as he repairs Jena. The VN just cuts from him leaving to him being back in the planetarium again. It’s abrupt, unexpected, and oddly enough, relatable. There’s something about Yumemi and this enclosed world of the planetarium that changes him. Initially he is on guard against Yumemi and freaks out when Yumemi introduces Jena. He expects nothing good from this place, yet Yumemi’s actions are a window into a world that used to be. A world of peace and life. The constant chatter and hope for new customers which is originally annoying becomes almost endearing after just a day or two. As he repairs Jena, his heart is also repaired by Yumemi. And as a reader, so was mine. Not in the exact way nor in the exact time, but my heart too was transformed and softened. When I was a kid, I believed in all the things I thought necessary. “When I die I want to go to heaven and not hell.” I believed I was a Christian and that was enough. I didn’t really do the Christian things all that well though. Planetarian itself was a wake-up call to me. It made me revisit what I really believe. I had to wrestle with the logic of Christianity. Why should I be allowed into the presence of a holy God? Surely, it’s not my own goodness. I had to hear that invitation and receive it. The invitation for me came through a college fellowship. Many dinners, Bible studies, and hang outs later, I knew my heart had changed. Because of this I’ve gone to places I never would have expected, done things I never would have done, and written things I never would have written before. This is one of them.

Projection – Faith to see
There are things in this world that we cannot see, yet we trust that it is present. As we live, we learn about a few of these things. Gravity, atoms, Australia. I’ve never really seen any of these things but I know they’re there. Then there are things whose existence is debatable. God, spirits, a real purpose in life. We cannot truly say that things unseen exist, but we can’t fully deny them either. This is where we must trust, or have faith, in the person who informs us of such things. The Junker’s trust in Yumemi models this exactly. After spending a few days with her, the projection is shown to him. When he first sees the stars, he can’t even believe his eyes. He even suspects that the projector is broken. But it’s perfectly operational. As he takes it all in, he realizes that he has heard about the stars before but could never imagine them being this beautiful. After the regular projection finishes, Yumemi moves on to the commemorative projection for the 2,500,000th customer. “Mankind Spreading its Wings.” Then the power abruptly goes out, never to come back on ever again. The Junker can no longer see the stars, but he asks Yumemi to continue the projection with the assurance that he can still see the stars if he closes his eyes. The Junker surprises both Yumemi and himself with this statement. But the projection continues with the Junker imagining the stars. It’s even more beautiful than before. He trusted in Yumemi’s words completely to paint him an even more magnificent picture, one that would guide him through the rest of his life. For me, I do not have a picture of my Lord. I do have words written by many authors over the course of thousands of years though. People like Moses and Isaiah and the disciples of Jesus attest to the glory, holiness, and beauty of God being more spectacular than measurable or imaginable. For me, this is the starry sky I can see when I close my eyes at any time. I may not be able to convey it in the same way I see it, but if the Junker can imitate Yumemi’s projection, then I can share the gospel of Jesus the Christ.

Sacrifice – Salvation from sure death
Soon after the projection, the Junker and Yumemi leave the planetarium. As they walk, they talk about prayer, specifically Yumemi’s, “Please do not divide heaven in two.” She wishes to serve humans both in life and after it. Wait is this a death flag? The Junker then encounters a fiddler crab mech blocking the breach in the city, his only way of escape. He engages in his final battle but due to bad rng, his grenade launcher misfires and puts him at a disadvantage. At the end of the battle he is sure to die before Yumemi steps in to distract the mech and take machine gun fire before the mech is destroyed. Yumemi knew all of this would happen, but to save her valued customer, she set her own body and life between the two. In a similar way, Jesus took the bullets for sinners. On the cross he faced all the judgement and wrath of the Father so that towards us, he could be both loving and merciful. He can forgive my sin and still be a fully just God. Not only am I pardoned, but I am also given an inheritance of abundant life. Not necessarily materially abundant, but a life now and later where I can say for a fact that yes, I feel alive. So, for me, I am in the position of the Junker, awaiting the consequences of my screw ups and the influence of the Rain, until someone able steps in.

Mission – Purpose in a broken world
Starting a little before the battle, the Junker contemplates a career change. As he aims down the sights at the fiddler crab, he thinks about travelling with Yumemi from colony to colony showing the stars. After the fight, he takes in Yumemi’s last words, thoughts, wishes, and memories. In her last act, she ejects her memory card which he places in a waterproof case on his chest. Then he leaves his grenade launcher behind because he will no longer need it. And that’s the end of the main story. In the Hoshi no Hito drama CD and movie, we see that he really has changed careers. He was picked up by a patrol after the fight and was no longer a Junker, but a Starteller/Stargazer/Storyteller of the Stars/Hoshi no Hito. He says himself that he is like the generations of fools before him obsessed with the stars. This is all who I am as well. Sure, I didn’t have a dramatic fight to the death against a giant robot, but after becoming a follower of Jesus, it became more imperative that I was meant to do something different with my life. I ended up travelling with friends to a foreign country on the other side of the world to do missionary work. I never would have expected to do that even a year prior, but I was doing it and I felt the most alive there than ever before. We became friends with students our age and hung out with them and eventually would share our personal stories of following Jesus with them, just like I am doing now. This is the purpose I have found. To many, I will seem as a fool. But that’s my theme. “For God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise,” is a key phrase from my favorite passage of the Bible, 1 Corinthians 1:26-31. As the Hoshi no Hito travels to tell of the stars, I tell about my creator and Lord.

Reunion – Promise
Throughout his life, the Junker held on to the hope of seeing Yumemi once again. It could be assumed that his wishes, or his prayer, would have aligned with hers, that heaven would not be divided in two. There are some differences between the drama cd, novelized short story, and movie that change it up a bit but in all three, the Junker and Yumemi are glad to see each other once again, and this time, he joins the planetarians of generations past. This is the reunion. It’s the epilogue of his long, long journey. In the movie specifically, Yumemi expresses that she is finally able to give him the bouquet and thanks him for telling so many people about the stars. The bouquet, as I have written about a bit before, symbolizes a promise that Yumemi would not abandon, even when the Junker himself thought it was a wasteful burden. There are several promises that have been given to me as well. They are too wonderful for me. I absolutely do not deserve them. Yet in sending his Son to live the perfect life, die as a criminal for my sake, and be raised from the dead, the faithful God of the stars (and more) has shown me the evidence I need to believe that I would one day be reunited with him. Not only that, but that he will be my God and I will be his child. Finally, just as Yumemi thanks the Junker for his work, I hope to hear my Lord say, “Well done my good and faithful servant.”

Through planetarian and in the character of the Junker, Suzumoto, whether he fully intended it or not, wrote of a sinner saved. And well, thats me. This has been my personal journey to know Christ and hopefully make him known here on Kazamatsuri. My name is CJ and I have been your presenter, or perhaps your planetarian for this time. I thank you for reading and if you have any questions at all, please, ask away, either in the post or in dms. Just as the Junker loved to answer the questions of Levi, Job, and Ruth, so I will happily answer anything relating to my faith or even just my life in general.

Verse references:
Rain/Sin: Genesis 1-3, Romans 3:23, Ephesians 2:1-3, Hebrews 9:27
Invitation/Grace: Ephesians 2:4-5, Revelation 3:20, Matthew 4:19
Repair/Transformation: Ezekiel 26:36, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 2:6-7
Projection/Faith: Ephesians 2:8-9, John 1:12, Hebrews 11:6
Sacrifice/Salvation: Isaiah 53:6, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8
Mission/Purpose: Ephesians 2:10, Galatians 2:20, Luke 9:23, 2 Corinthians 4:5, 1 Corinthians 1:26-31
Reunion/Promise: Isaiah 41:10, Mark 10:45, Matthew 28:18-20, Matthew 25:21

7 Likes

For me, the character I identify with the most is the man in my profile, Yusuke Yoshino. While yes he is a musician and that is a big part of my identity, that’s not the main reason.

One thing that stands out with me about Yoshino is the contrast between how people perceive Yoshino and Yoshino’s actual character. Something that I really remember about this character is the baseball scene where he gives his speech about all how all he can give is a memory and is then knocked out because the game is still going on. To me this brings this seemingly cool and all-knowing character down to a more typical level, which I think is more reflective of the actual character as opposed to the one presented. Yoshino is a character that tries his hardest to be helpful and make an impact on people’s life. Being a musician (in particular a performer) means sometimes having to present a character in order to encapsulate the audience, and this is something that translates to how he interacts with characters like Tomoya - he tries to put on that confident and knowledgeable persona in order to make his words have impact. Throughout my recent life I’ve been working in roles more accustom to older and more experienced people (something which I’m not). This concept that Yoshino has to consistently and consciously maintain that face in order to help people is something I’ve had to do more of because of my work, and while some of it is natural I feel like I’m always going to be that element of self-awareness in the same way Yoshino has.

The next thing is brought up in Yoshino’s backstory – who he lives for. Yoshino initially writes music for himself, but as his career develops his music starts to become for his fans instead. After one of his fans commits a crime, Yoshino blames himself for taking a break from his music. This leads him to start making rash decisions and lose himself as a person. Now I thankfully the final part of that story doesn’t apply to me, but the concept of social responsibility does. I often find myself helping those around me even if it detracts from my own work or life, sometimes to an extent where people will actually tell me to stop helping others. Similarly, I’ve been told by quite a few people that I’d make a good teacher because of my tendency to help people as well as the previously mentioned reason. It makes me question to what extent I live for others or myself, similarly to how Yoshino considers who he writes and sings his music for.

I also relate to his murmurings and considerations about life. Yoshino clearly thinks deeply about many things and wants others to think about those things as well. One thing that I really empathise with is the relationship between him and the people that listen to what he says. Generally, anyone listening to Yoshino’s ramblings either just gives an incredibly basic answer or just plays it off as Yoshio being Yoshino. For me, there aren’t many people I know in person that I can discuss philosophy with. It’s quite natural for me to question very basic concepts such as ‘what is up and down?’ when they’re brought up, but it’s very rare that anyone actually follows the train of thought or for anyone to actually care about it. While I realise Yoshino’s presentation of philosophy is in a supportive manner as opposed to a discussion based one, the idea of a person’s ramblings being written off or ignored by others is something I can definitely relate with.

Finally, while Yoshino is a character that seems self-reliant (and to some extent that is true), I also think it’s important to remember the love and support he receives from Kouko. The final thing that stands out for me is how his struggles in life are resolved when reuniting with Kouko. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve been in a romantic relationship with anyone, but the idea of being in one is something that’s very important to me. When I have been in relationships, their mere existence has helped a lot of with my mental health, and I feel like if I were to go through anything like Yoshino has then I would need that relationship to overcome it.

Basically, Yoshino is a character that has been through/thought about a lot over his life, and I feel like I’m starting to go through a lot of similar things. I don’t identify with this character because I believe I’m this cool, confident figure that’s loved by all (because I’m really not), I identify with him because of his relationship with life and the struggles he has to go through. While I hope I never get to the lows that Yoshino goes through, I can’t help but see a bit of myself in him as my life has developed. With that said, if I could ever make a positive difference to a person’s life in the way Yoshino does with Tomoya, then I’d be pretty dang happy.

6 Likes

Ill just say that reading your posts and talking to you does make me feel like I am talking to Yoshino directly

3 Likes