What Key work inspired you the most to do better in life?

Rewrite.
After it is too hard to find a decent anime to watch.

Or i can say, that problem bothers me after every Key work.

1 Like

The 28th of November 2014. The first time I read planetarian. I remember that afternoon as finding planetarian by chance whilst lazily browsing the Steam store I would have skipped past it if the thumbnail wasn’t so pretty and the VisualArts:Key tag hadn’t caught my eye, by this time I had watched Clannad and read Kanon so I was surprised by the setting of planetarian. Of course I immediately bought it without prior research because of the Key tag, and I truly felt like I was stepping on unknown and hollow ground.

The next four hours were easily the most immersive I had ever experienced. I had phased out of reality almost the whole way through the story, I absolutely could not put the story down until it was done and once I came out the other side and finished being a sobbing mess drenched in tears, I felt reformed with new-found values and views. Today it remains my utmost favorite piece I have read and because of it, I discovered Kazamatsuri and continued on to be informed of other works by Key.

4 Likes

Definitely Clannad. It wasn’t my first Key work (that was Angel Beats), and it’s not my favorite either, but the anime adaptation was the first Key work I experienced that actually sort of changed my perspective on things, so it wins out over Little Busters!.

I don’t really want to get too much into it, but Clannad made me more deeply value some of the closer relationships I’ve had with other people, and also caused me to reevaluate some of the rockier ones. I guess it just gave me a more positive and refreshed outlook on interactions with other people. I kinda wish I had watched it during my edgelord phase of high school, but it’s a tad too late for that now.

1 Like

A bit late to the party (how did I not see this topic?!), but I had to pitch in. Was just about to make a similar topic before the Search bar helped me out :smiley:

I’ll be upfront and preface this: the majority of the inspiration and emotion comes from something outside of Key that this work happened to link up with. Of course, in a sense, that’s true for all our answers; I just mention it because it’s not actually an explicit theme of the work (though you can argue for implicit). It comes to bear more clearly once Catholic first principles are applied. So I’m not sure anyone else will have the same experience haha.

In any case, be aware: I’ll be speaking about religion and faith, as I can’t separate it from why I felt as I did. You’ve been warned!

(most fitting BGM)

I was most affected and (re)inspired by the Angel Beats! anime.

First time: I binge watched it, finishing at 3 in the morning on a weekend at seminary. That should tell you my state of mind and stranger state of affairs. I remember seeing the first episode, hearing the ED, and being deeply moved. I had a sense I was going to encounter something incredible and awesome - emphasis on the awe.

As I watched, I enjoyed it; the humor was fun, and the story played out well.

Then came Episodes 10 and 12.

I cried.

But not because I was sad. It wasn’t sad the slightest bit to me.

You see, as I watched this from my seminarian view, this is the general outline I saw: these teens died tragic deaths with their lives incomplete somehow and ended up here. They’re searching for a meaning to their suffering - their lives. And, when they find it, coming to peace with their lives-

This is where my Catholic understanding parted from the story. In the actual story, they disappear and are reincarnated. At least, the reincarnation is hinted at with the final few moments.

That’s not what I believed; so, before seeing that final scene, I had been interpreting everything in a wholly different way.

Their disappearance was akin to them entering Heaven.

That probably doesn’t seem very emotionally moving to you, which is understandable. Heaven’s where you float around like angels and stuff. It’s abstract happiness. Whatever; you don’t think about it much, and the mention of it isn’t a big deal.

However, I (and, hopefully, all the other priests/seminarians) have a different understanding of it. The very reason we wish to become priests is because we know the nature of Heaven, happiness, and God.

Love. Incredible, overwhelming, all-satisfying, unbelievable, shocking, absolute, almost terrifying Love. I do not joke when I say I have never known any pleasure, joy, emotion, or happiness greater than the love this heavenly, godly life entails.

It is a life of love - the purest happiness - which we long for every person to know and live, forever and ever, because of how supremely good it is.

So Angel Beats! changed, for me, from a story about reincarnation to a story of souls, after suffering painful lives and deaths, finding their way to the greatest, purest Love I know.

It’s quite literally the End that we’re all striving for, and the most beautiful.

I cried, and I remembered why I wanted to give my life away.

Love.

So yeah; it’s not exactly what Maeda intended to write, judging from reincarnation being there, but I’d like to think similar themes ran in the background (esp. with “Goodbye Days” being as it is).

That’s why Angel Beats! is my favorite, as well as the one that inspired me the most.

6 Likes

Rewrite’s not on the poll, but that is hands down the one game that has made the biggest impact on me. Never again will I litter. God. I don’t want rainbow swamps to form and the apocalypse to come… unless it comes in the form of a cute girl, of course.

REMEMBER KIDS. REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

3 Likes

While I personally dont think Clannad as the best of Key work anymore, it’s still one that inspired me the most :3

Clannad was somehow the only anime my family and I were able to watch together and equally enjoy, which is saying something a lot because we have completely different tastes. Anime had been mine and simply not theirs. We’re not a chummy family which is ironic because we were raised as Christians and from what I have observed, Christians are supposed to be chummy people, especially to their blood relatives. Clannad did not exactly brought us together but it did for a while, which is something.

I’m pretty sure many of the stories in Clannad touched us in various ways but perhaps Nagisa’s story struck me the strongest the most, or perhaps, the whole Furukawa family. Whenever I look back at the Furukawas’s story, I see my parents. My parents aren’t exactly talkative about their histories coz, like I said earlier, chummy is not in our vocabulary. Their accomplishments, I learn from their friends and their failures, I realize them only today.

It’s cheesy, but I sort of learned how to value these little stories people share about them because of the Furukawas and wonder what my parents would have done if I were a more reliable person. I didn’t jumped into tears like Nagisa did, but more so, I learned to appreciate what my parents had done and follow my own dreams. Akio’s declaration at the end of Clannad still gives me goosebumps whenever I see it. We all need our own Akios and I guess he voiced out what my parents have always wanted to say for a very long time. I start to see the small acts they do to support me and I begin to realize that the smallest actions I make for them gives them joy.

I suppose I realized that my parents love me ahaha Things change once you start knowing that.

6 Likes