Visual Novel Recommendations (with filters)

I’m having trouble finding visual novels that contain no H-scenes and not horror-ish. I already got all the Key stuff under my belt. Basically I want more key-ish VNs. Got any names?

Steins;Gate is a great choice. It’s also not really horror, although there are a few parts that might make you feel a bit squeamish. Edit: Not really sure how Key-ish it would be, but I think it’s just a great experience in general.

You should probably just look at this VNDB search.

2 Likes

I already watched the anime so I don’t know if it’d be the same to read it as a VN. And I did use that VNDB search, multiple times. I ended up clicking on so many horror VNS and Phoenix Wright it kind of got dumb. Not to mention this place is filled with VN fanatics, so I thought why not just ask.

I’d still really recommend the Steins;Gate visual novel, but it’s up to you of course.

I’ve heard Symphonic Rain is cool, maybe check that out?

Also, you should probably list what you’ve already played or seen the anime for to give a better point of reference. But since you said you have Key visual novels under your belt, I’ll assume you mean the non-H ones. If that’s true, you can check out AIR which our based lord Takafumi made an all-ages patch for. Unless you’ve done that already.

Ohh, that air novel patch seems pretty cool. Symphonic Rain seems cool but is there any >50h visual novels? Ones that really take you on a journey. But I will check out Symphonic Rain.

Well, there aren’t many, but perhaps something here interests you.

Having the Angel Beats visual novel tucked away at the end is pretty funny.

Edit: Just noticed that you’re fairly new here. You should check in at the Introduce Yourself thread which people have been neglecting lately. I’m sure we’d all like to give you a more proper welcome~

It’s pretty hard to find anything if you make too many demands.

Also, please explain what exactly your definition of horror-ish is. A real possibility of characters dying? Gore and/or detailed descriptions of deaths and suffering? Scary pictures? Fear-inducing narration?

Yes, Symphonic Rain is a wonderful recommendation. Depending on your definition of horror-ish, Ever17 would be an excellent choice as well. It’s 30-50 hours in length.

If you can disregard the length restriction completely, there’s Narcissu and Narcissu Side 2nd. They’re both very short and I personally found the first one a bit underwhelming while Side 2nd was certainly good.

For >50h, there’s Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, but they’re very horror-ish.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I mean by horror-ish. Things that center itself around scaring you and it’s primary purpose is to creep you out, not like LB refrain but like chaos;head and higurashi.

That means Umineko is definitely out (it’s written by the same guy as Higurashi) while Ever17 should be ok for you.

Katawa Shoujo is a good pick. It’s pretty long, but there’s no true route.

True Remembrance is also good, but a bit shorter. And yeah Narcissu, but really short.

I started reading Katawa Shoujo and finished Hanako but then the H-scenes came which really ruined the entire novel for me.

I swear I remember hearing about a way to turn them off in KS.

Also, while I guess it’s not my place to pry and I can totally understand H-scenes being jarring and frustrating, does it really totally ruin a novel for you? I’m interested to hear your stance on H-scenes in the discussion thread.

Oh shoot sorry, I totally forgot about those. You can turn them off with an option in the menu.

However, it only removes the CGs. Nude character images still appear even when this option is selected (learned this the hard way… lol)

I was thinking of contributing to that thread but the last post was oct 20 so I think it’s dead. And you can turn them off in KS but it is part of the novel and thats basically like ripping pages off a book. I just think that if they decided to put H-scenes in them that means they have plot development and its something that has to be read. I don’t think people would randomly put H-scenes just for the fun of it.

In general, yes, but KS was written such that the H-scenes have absolutely no bearing on the plot at all. (Word of god from the authors)

Anyway, other than KS, I can’t think of any other high-quality Key-type VNs. An similar one is Grisaia no Kajitsu… but H-scenes galore…

Necro-posting is welcome on Kaza. If you comment on a thread, people will come back~

1 Like

Right now, there’s at least two people in this topic who would join you if you posted in the H-scenes thread, so go ahead.

Actually, they kinda do. We discussed that in the H-scenes thread as well.

2 Likes

Oh god, I read up to the first H-scene with Makina, it really disgusted me when Makina was cry and depressed that the store blew up and instead of Yuuji consoling Makina, he just has sex with her. It just ruined the entire VN for me. It really sucks reading the top quality VNs by Key and then knowing that no other VN will top what you already read and its only downhill from there.

I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss all visual novels as worse than Key stories without even reading them. H-scenes don’t always detract from a story, in fact, I’d implore you to read something like Cross Channel whose tone (to me) was greatly aided by those scenes. Although I don’t think you’d enjoy it from what you’ve said thus far.

This is getting away from the main topic, though. I guess the point is that there aren’t a ton of visual novels that fit such a tight criteria so it’s probably in your best interest to try not to let a short scene completely ruin the rest of a great story. It’s just an unfortunate part about the medium.

+1 Ever17

I thought Katawa Shoujo was good, but it was also like my second VN, so you know, nostalgia and crap. Can’t argue with the OST tho.

If you want the journey, read Fate/Stay Night. Don’t know if you’ve watched any of the anime, but the Fate franchise is probably my favorite after Key. And, with many thanks to Jacktheinfinte and all his hard work, there is a patch for Realta Nua that lets you pretty much customize what components of all the versions of the game you want to play with. So H-scenes or H-alt-scenes, what OPs play, etc.