Traditional Games

I know there are people who play Weiss Schwarz here, but what about other tabletop games?

Anything from discussion to recommendations can go here, as long as it is related to traditional games like Magic the Gathering or Dungeon’s & Dragons. Have an obscure boardgame you want to gush over? This is the place for it! Want to brag about your $300 MtG deck? Go ahead, I’d love to see a cardlist! Any and all traditional game is welcome, from Cards Against Humanity to Shadowrun to Munchkin.

Discussion will include but is absolutley not limited to:

Magic the Gathering, also known as Magic, MtG, and Wallet Killer. Similar to card games like YuGiOh and Pokemon (man I know people who would kill me for comparing these games) Magic has been gaining popularity since it was first published in 1993 and has been updated regularly with new cards ever since.

Warhammer, also known as the Wallet Killer that makes Magic look cheap. Warhammer is a tabletop miniture strategy that involves building and painting mini figures that you use as piece in huge strategy combat scenarios. The most popular version, at least as far to my knowledge, is Warhammer 40,000 aka Warhammer 40k or just 40k.

I’m going to take this section to gush just a bit. Not the first, but by far the most well known tabletop RPG out there. Fifth edition is the most recent ruleset, and if you haven’t gotten into it yet you’re missing out. DnD is something that a lot of people are interested in but many don’t have the oppertunity to try because they either can’t get together enough people willing or they can’t find a dungeon master who is familiar with the game. I say this because people should totes get a group together here on Kaza if they’re interested. Even if you don’t want to buy the Player’s Handbook Wizards of the Coast released the basic rules for 5e online for free, legally ( http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/dm-basic-rules ). These include everything you need to play the game, including combat rules, character creation, and even tips on how to roleplay well.

Well all of this to say, anyone like games?

Full disclosure: I volunteered for the team behind this game at Anime Expo.

Danmaku!! is a fan made Touhou hidden roles card game in the style of Bang!, Werewolf, and Mafia with a strong Touhou / bullet hell twist. Every player gets assigned a secret role: the heroine needs to defeat the stage bosses, there are 2-3 stage bosses who want to defeat the heroine, the partners want to protect the heroine, and finally the Extra/Phantom boss wants to defeat the stage bosses and then backstab the heroine. The whole game involves trying to figure out who is playing what role while not taking actions that overtly reveal your own.

It’s also got gorgeous art and is professionally made for a Touhou fan project.

4 Likes

I do all mine online; I’ve run my precious Wushu games and an All Outta Bubblegum run, and now I’m having my first proper D&D game with a group on Roll20.

I’m also one of those guys who has a Yu-Gi-Oh deck but never got to play with anybody. It’s just as well because I got it from a guy I knew in high school and it’s a schizophrenic mess.

1 Like

That’s how I was with Pokemon. Everyone had the cards, but no one knew how to play.

So there is some slight interest in DnD. 5e is pretty easy to learn, so even if you’ve never played that won’t be much of an issue. Are there any other newbies who are interested here? Or veterans for that matter?

As for DM, I’ve done it before (though I’m not that good so I’d have no problem yielding it to someone else) and wouldn’t terribly mind doing it for a Kaza session/campaign. It’ll finally give me a reason to jump in the Kaza voice chat…

This is all assuming that scheduling would even work.

I’m interested too. I’m the same as @Gnashes for this

I’m up! Haven’t played 5e but I’m willing to learn. Heck, once I tried to run one of my own so unless there’s a scheduling conflict with the group I’m with already I’d definitely be up for a Kaza game night.

The games I play the most right now are Secret Hitler (a secret identity game that solves my biggest problems with Werewolf/Mafia) and Tichu (a seriously addictive 4 player Chinese card game). Has anyone besides me ever played these?

1 Like

I’ve only played vanilla Mafia, but Secret Hitler looks interesting. It just looks like Mafia with some extra rules, so what problems are you talking about exactly?

Primarily the fact that you can get killed off really early and can’t enjoy the rest of the game, and also that you more or less need someone to moderate the game (at least it can easily get messy otherwise). In Secret Hitler, players can die but only later in the game, and you don’t need a moderator. Plus the amount of distrust that naturally builds up with the whole policy system is amazing, and both liberals and fascists are eventually forced to play more aggressively lest they let the other party take victory. The fact that Hitler doesn’t know who his fellow fascists are and thus they need to communicate their identity to him somehow (while keeping everyone else in the dark) is the icing on the cake. It just doesn’t get boring.

My only real complaint with it is that playing it with six players doesn’t work well. It’s playable with anywhere from 5-10 players, but 6 is that golden number where the liberals outnumber the fascists just a tad bit too much.

1 Like

I played Magic at some point but I never really got into it.[quote=“42Megabytings, post:3, topic:2933”]
I’m also one of those guys who has a Yu-Gi-Oh deck but never got to play with anybody.
[/quote]

Ouch. I met a good chunk of my friends through Yugioh.
I’m always open to getting back into it, duel me sometime :yahaha:

I’d love to play DnD, Secret Hitler, or anything else with Kaza. Sounds fun!

Hmm, DnD does sound interesting. I was skimming the link you gave in the first post, and is all of that required lecture or is some of that not that important in the beginning/only important for the DM? Because it was kind of a daunting wall of text. Meaning, I’d be a newbie. I was actually invited to a tabletop RPG before, but I wasn’t interested in the Shadowrun-verse, I’m not that much for futuristic dystopia. But since DnD is medieval fantasy as far as I know, I’d be interested.
Of course, time-zones and planning would then be another question, but let my interest be noted here.

That link is to the “basic rules” but it pretty much includes everything you will ever need for DnD. Over 3/4 of it is about character creation and the only mechanics players really need to be aware of, at least at the beginning, is combat and skills.

So I was searching for information about Tanto Cuore (it’s like Dominion except with cute anime maids) and I found out the same company makes a LITTLE BUSTERS DECKBUILDING GAME! I want this so bad @_@ I wish my Japanese was good enough to play it.

2 Likes

HOLY SHIT WHAT? A LITTLE BUSTERS TANTO CUORE GAME??

Where the FUCK do I buy

Edit: Found it!

It’s called “Little Busters! Ecstasy Slapstick Ranking Battle”

Should that be Battle Rankings? :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: After doing some investigation, yes, it looks like this is literally a Battle Rankings deck building game! Something about challenging others to battles and fighting to maintain your position as leader of the battle rankings. SIGN ME UP!

@Arete have you thought of being DM for us and organizing DnD?

I have considered it, but unfortunately I’m too busy between classes and work to pick up another time commitment as big as DMing. I still think a Kaza DnD group would be cool even though I wouldn’t be able to participate though and wouldn’t mind helping with some semantics though.

Class: Mask the Saitou

1 Like

I see card games hmmm… welp the games that I have played are (In order of when I learned how to play them)
Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Duelmasters, Naruto, Magic the Gathering, Vanguard, Weiss Schwarz, Victory Sparks, Force of Will and Luck & Logic.
All of this definitely helps since I work at a card shop so I can talk to most of my customers and understand what they’re talking about

I’m always interested to learn more card games and I saw the Danmaku game at AX but never got a chance to really check it out at all

So I’m returning to this topic to say that I also played Yu-Gi-Oh way back in the old times, when Pot of Greed wasn’t banned yet. As in, during the time the first anime was airing. (And I might also look like a complete idiot if I got my facts wrong here)
Then I made a long pause, and then I returned to playing Yu-Gi-Oh, albeit online, because I have no money to seriously play anything collection based, and actually learned how Synchro and XYZ stuff worked. Man, the game had changed a whole lot. During that time, I even looked a bit at the competitive scene. That was probably 2 years ago. Now I have heard the term Pendulum and am kinda asking myself “Is this another new game mechanic, and if so, how does it work?” So yeah, other than that, I know enough about YGO to understand a discussion about it.

One really traditional game I like a lot is Skat. I don’t know if anyone else here knows that, but I’m basically playing the traditional card games. 32 cards in 4 suits, 3 players.

2 Likes

The competitive scene for Yu-Gi-Oh was really bad a couple months ago. It was you either played these 3 decks (Monarchs, Burning Abyss, Kozmo) with very little variation or else you lose.
After the banlist however a lot of decks are more viable to be played competitively

1 Like