Tomoyo After - After Arc Discussion

I agree, it is the actions of Tomoyo and Tomoya throughout the VN that set into motion the improvements we see in the credits and the change in mindset we see from Tomoyo both during and after his ‘death’. Tomoyo reflecting and realizing tat no matter what the future holds, life is beautiful is an amazing message that the ending showed, even though said ending was vague. Additionally, she shares this story and tries to spread a message to others that are experiencing the same grief as her. These two changes would have happened if Tomoya lived or not (since Tomoyo went through the experience of suffering, from Tomoya having amnesia for three years and him repeatedly forgetting about her, and becoming a stronger person from it), but again, we don’t explicitly know his fate. I mean, she does cherish the time she had with him between after the operation and before his eventual death several days later and grows stronger, but Would you say that his death can only be speculated then, due to the vagueness of it and the ending of the VN?

By improvements that we see in the credits and the change in mindset we see from Tomoyo, are you talking about when she was sharing her story online and the message she’s trying to spread (message being that life is beautiful, no matter what the future holds)? I mean, it’s very likely that these two changes are extrinsic to Tomoya’s death, and it’s truly admirable as you said. It’s just hard to accept this since it’s just a bitter pill to swallow. Sure, these two changes of Tomoyo sharing her story and trying to spread the message, as well as her reflective realization that life IS beautiful, despite what the future holds, happen whether Tomoya dies or not, but I would prefer if his fate was actually explicit and not vague (and preferably alive, I guess). Your thoughts?

I just answered that.

I think he’s dead, but the outcome of his life doesn’t matter. He could be alive. All it’d change is the degree of happiness of a reader come the finale.

Yeah, the outcome of his life ultimately doesn’t matter, sadly. He could be alive or dead, and all that it’d change is how happy the reader is come the finale. It’s sad, but inevitable, and the ultimate message that Tomoyo learned through the ordeal, though it’s likely that Tomoya died as you stated. He very likely eventually died several days later after the failed operation, dying right next to her when the two watched the beautiful sunset on a cliff, but he was able to regain his memories of Tomoyo in the end.

The original release (the 18+ adult PC version released in 2005) heavily implied (if not confirmed) that he died (as written above), from what we heard from Tomoyo when she was sharing her story at the ending of the VN. The manga adaptaton is based on the original release, so it flat-out confirms that he died. Sorry, have to talk about this.

Personally, I love happy endings. I’m just disappointed when we go through a journey with someone (or some people) and we get a sad ending.

But with Tomoyo After however, I prefer the sad ending where Tomoya died.

Aside from leaving more of an impact (which it should) compared to a timeline where he survived, it also leaves lingering feelings in a realistic way.

Key could have decided to make a spinoff about Tomoyo, where Tomoyo and Tomoya are having fun and doing dirty things for the entirety of the game, with little drama just so that it could be considered Key, creating nothing more but a fan service spinoff that deserves nothing (Kud Wafter. Sorry not sorry), but they decided to go above and beyond, and create something that was worthy of being a spinoff to CLANNAD. They didn’t have a cliche happy ending because “the power of love should be able to SAVE someone”, no. The power of love should be able to SUPPORT someone in whatever they face.

There was no reset. There were no supernatural elements. It was a story about a 2 lovers who spent 3 years together, who decided that a love like theirs, couldn’t go on any longer, because they’d both end up being hurt in the long run. There wasn’t a happy reward at the end to “their love”. But the reward was discovering how fragile and wonderful life was. With having Tomoya die, Tomoyo grew as a person and had a new outlook. She might’ve had the same outlook if he survived for sure, but the fact that he was gone from her, pushed her to become someone who realized how fragile life was, more than she would have if he survived.

Personally, I think the reason why Tomoyo After is special, and stands out when compared to other Key works, is because of how realistic it was. Out of everything Key has done, Tomoyo After is the most realistic work that they’ve done. The ending especially supported it. The ending is what makes Tomoyo After so great. A happy ending where he survived, just wouldn’t be the same.

I feel like Tomoyo After is a gem that came out in the wrong time period. Everyone is so used to happy endings and miracles to the point where they think that it’s the best way to end a story, without realizing what a not-so-happy ending can also give to people’s outlook. It’s disappointing when people give this visual novel a low score just because of the ending. It’s so well-crafted and signifies so much, being overlooked by so many people just because the ending didn’t end with how many wanted it to end like.

Tomoyo After was a story about the present. Not the future, nor the past. I don’t think people realize this when they wonder why specific things weren’t foreshadowed as much as they could have been beforehand. Life moves on in mysterious ways, and you can’t predict when something will happen, which is why you enjoy the present. I think that’s why the visual novel format fits so well with the story. The arcs are separated and there’s no big overarching story with the 4 arcs, but only realization.

3 Likes

While I’m glad that Tomoyo managed to have a new outlook at the end of the story I just thought it was depressing and to be honest I felt pretty crap afterwards. It just made me think Tomoya’s better off with any of the other girls because things aren’t likely to turn out so badly in the end in that case. The “reward” is completely lost on me, there’s already enough misery in life and I do not care for the realism presented in Tomoyo After.

I guess I just get too invested in the characters and story and care too much about how things turn out for them. I know I’m being rather unreasonable and I’m strongly subjective on this matter, sorry about that. If Tomoyo After managed to do one thing it’s that I feel very strongly about the story afterwards. Even if it isn’t a positive thing for me. What I also want to add though is that I don’t necessarily want a magical happy ending to every story, especially if they’re too forced. But I think you can also have realistic drama and good endings without having to rely on sicknesses/accidents and magical conclusions.

Meh, I’m just rambling at this point. Again, forgive me being rather unreasonable as these are just mostly my emotions speaking and Tomoyo After has been a recent experience for me too. While I can objectively see it’s not a bad story at all I just wish it was… something different.

3 Likes

It was my impression too that Tomoya had died, and I thought it was quite a brave choice to make from a storytelling POV for a VN, although it may not be the end we wish for. It’s not alone when it comes to literature (book spoilers! ) Romeo and Juliet, Anna Karenina, Wuthering Heights etc , and it’s not a completely bleak and despairing end but one that as has been said gives hope for us to believe in Tomoyo’s new future.

Hey Realta, I know you posted this awhile ago, but as someone who completed Tomoyo After, I agree with everything you have said - I felt, and still feel, like crap despite finishing the game a few days ago.

I agree there is a lot of misery in life, but I guess the message that despite these miseries, “Life is wonderful” still resonates, which was the key message I took out of the game. However, I’m torn whether this message would still hold its meaning if Tomoya lived (debatable whether he lives or dies).

I don’t know, it’s hard as I like the overall message of the game, and Tomoyo just encouraging the other posters, and the players, that we do have the strength to move on … but at the same time, I agree that they didn’t have to rely on forced accidents or sicknesses to get the message across. I’ll admit, despite really loving this game, I felt the way in which Tomoya received his amnesia was pretty dumb, as I felt it could’ve been avoided if he just went to the hospital, either after the fights or after falling in that garbage dump, rather than how it was presented.

Same with me, I’m just rambling here, too! I read the manga to just see if it would change my opinion and I appreciated that they didn’t leave Tomoya’s conclusion ambigously, he was very much dead. Which helped with closure and also showed the other character’s 1 year after his death, which felt as though they are in a better place. Which didn’t happen in this game, as it’s left ambigously. That’s probably another critique to the game, but I guess it’s this way so we can make our own conclusions whilst still having the overall message of the game be “stronger”.

I hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

Just thought I would try to make a quick complement to everything here. Regarding that last CG of Tomoya and Tomoyo, I never looked at it as a depiction of the two meeting again. For me, it’s rather a depiction of eternal love. It means that Tomoyo will never forget everything they went through, and that it being challenging was what made everything worthwhile. It means that Tomoyo still happily carries all those memories with her and is really excited to tell more people about it.
The two made a lot of people happy, grieved a lot, persisted a lot, and all of this remains, even if they don’t. Now their story is what will inspire others to do the same (actually live). How can you deem someone as dead when that person still lives ardently inside the hearts of several people?
Tomoya is pretty much alive in the ending (even though he’s dead).

Of course people benefit from his death (damn this sounds bad)! With he dead, Tomoyo can prove how intense their love is, although the things it underwent, to other people. She’s not punished, she receives the opportunity to be an even more inspiring person.
(Sorry, too sleepy).

3 Likes

after arc is too sad, the most depressing Key works for me :sob: feels bad for Tomoyo

1 Like

This last arc moved me a lot. What I want to remember about one of the many messages it tells us, is that we can keep living in people’s memories after our death if we try to make the others happy and help them find their meaning in life. Tomoya is still living thanks to Tomoyo telling his story to people in need, and she holds onto his values and his beliefs. No matter how short their time together was, she treasures it deeply and has grown to be a better individual thanks to the most important person for her.
Tomoyo is telling her story directly to us, the readers, and I think it is very significant for a part of VN fans ( I do not generalise anything here ) because Maeda shows that we should try to enjoy every moment with our loved ones, meet a lot of people to change our view of life and find our treasure. No matter the hardships we may face, life is beautiful and I do believe that. I have lost a relative long ago and his parents are now able to give the best of themselves to others, despite the grief that will never disappear.
Which is why I don’t think Tomoyo losing Tomoya means that she did all of that for nothing. She was able to reconcile him with his father and she was able to stand by his side until the very end. She grew to be one of my favourites Key heroines thanks to Tomoya, and I will hold their story deeply in my heart forever.

P.S : I have read the English version but I do not know what to think about the new ending.

4 Likes

If I had to explain what Key represents using one route/character arc, it would be this one. As well as being just a beautiful story, the final section of the arc has so many traits that I can only describe as ‘Key’, yet it also contrasts many of the elements typically found in a Key VN in quite a significant manner.

Before going into that, there are several things I want to discuss. The first thing involves several plot points. One thing about this arc that I’ve seen some people criticise that Tomoya’s amnesia just happens and there’s no real build up to it (or at least no obvious build up to it) outside the beginning of this arc (which wasn’t even in the original). My perspective is that’s the point – it’s meant to be sudden and unexpected and I really respect it for that. Some things in life just happen without any build up, and they can seriously affect the way people live, which is what I think this arc is going for. The sudden nature of this arc makes it stands out more, and it is foreshadowed at with the amount of physical trauma Tomoya goes through. There is also the subtle foreshadowing of Kanako asking what would happen if Tomoya suddenly forgot about Tomoyo, and the jokes about memory loss. While this may not be conventional foreshadowing since there are no immediate signs that this will happen, it is hinted at in quite subtle ways so it is by no means forced in my opinion. That being said I wish that they kept the original opening of the arc as the sudden nature of that emphasises the point even more, although I can see why the change was made. Next thing I want to compliment this arc on is how it makes the reader feel very uneasy reading this. The way that it continuously implies that something is wrong due to Tomoyo’s behaviour is fantastic and it had the perfect balance of implying things and being too vague to draw any concrete conclusions and I thought it was brilliantly executed.

Another thing that took me back when reading this arc were the references to Nagisa and CLANNAD. I think the way these references are implemented is incredibly thoughtful when one considers Tomoya’s character. Firstly, I’ll talk about the character that’s basically Nagisa, but not Nagisa. Due to his amnesia, he is a pre-CLANNAD Tomoya – a version of himself that we do not really get to see in CLANNAD. When you consider how Tomoya’s attitude towards life was changed by meeting Nagisa in CLANNAD, it makes sense that a similar effect would occur again when presented with very Nagisa like elements and this can be argued in multiple ways. One can argue that reliving a similar memory allows him to sub-consciously remember more, one could also argue that reliving a similar memory allows him to develop similarly to how he did in CLANNAD, some people have even presented that this entire thing relates to illusionary world, so there’s definitely room for interpretation. Several people have stated that these references are the reason that he is able to confess his love for Tomoyo in this instance, and that is something I definitely agree with. It’s very easy to make references in a spin-off for the sake of it, but this arc in general brilliantly interconnects references to CLANNAD with a genuine, well thought-out reason to include those references. Also, the small bit from Sunohara is heart-breaking if you’ve read CLANNAD and it really emphasises how close Sunohara and Tomoya really were as well as the severity of Tomoya’s amnesia.

The second thing I want to discuss is how this arc stands out in regards to other VNs and how it uses VN mechanics to emphasise one if its themes. One thing brought up was that the choices made to reach this section are quite specific, with some of them leading to seemingly happy endings, yet this is the ‘true’ ending despite the sadder conclusion. This is a really interesting point since as far as I’m aware there isn’t a Key work with ‘bad’ endings that don’t seem so bad. This argument can be extended to visual novels in general – it’s conventional for there to be good and bad endings, but in Tomoyo After, at some points it starts to feel like there are just endings, and whether or not it’s good or bad it down to the reader. So the question I want to discuss is why is this ending the true ending? To me, it comes down to a present theme throughout the story – finding meaning in your life, and fulfilling that. This concept is present in many of Key’s stories, and quite a few of Maeda’s songs, which is why I think this route is one the most significant routes in all of Keys history, but this will be discussed in more depth later. Now there are many quotes I could present to justify this as one of the themes of Tomoyo After. I could also refer to the title of the novel. But instead I’m just going to go through several of the key elements of the VN.

Throughout all of the routes, each of the characters are working towards a final goal such as Tomoya building a school and Tomoyo spending years to have Tomoya go through with the surgery. While this may be quite a conventional thing to do in any story, I think it’s still worth noting due to context. Each of these goals cannot be achieved without a lot of hard work – it’s not a simple one-off event that just comes and goes, the characters have to constantly work on improving themselves to achieve their goal. Also, each of the characters willingly chose to go through this to achieve their own goal. This is really important because in many cases in other Key VN’s, a character will attempt to solve a problem or achieve a goal because multiple people want to achieve that goal, but that is generally not the case in this VN. Tomoya decides on his own that he wants to build that school, and Tomoyo decides that she herself will stay with Tomoyo through his amnesia. To them, at that moment in the story, that is what they’re dedicating their life to and the longevity of these events emphasises that.

The endings of the VN reflect this as well – the reader lives with the choices they’ve made and if they’re content with what they’ve read then they have no reason to read anything else in this novel – they have achieved what they’ve wanted in the story. The convoluted choices for the ‘true’ ending also helps to emphasise that how one achieves their own goals in life, or how one can live their best life is difficult to figure out. Just image trying to get to this ending without a guide – due to the way the story is structured you will only sometimes see the consequences of your choices several hours after you’ve made them and when you combine that with the amount of alternate endings it makes getting to this seem incredibly time consuming and convoluted, but again I think that’s also part of the point – you have to live with your choices and if you’re not fulfilled then you have to work for it.

The way the overall VN is structured also emphasises this. In every other non-kinetic Key VN it follows the convention of common route, character arc/route, repeat until you get every arc/route done, true ending, but Tomoyo After breaks this convention by integrating each character arc into the overall plot, and the only thing stopping you from going through these arcs is the different type of ending that you get. Now to be fair, other visual novels have done this method of integrating character routes into a linear plot (such as G-Senjou no Maou), but I don’t know of any that did it before Tomoyo After, or at least not any popular ones so this technique is actually quite significant in terms of the wider medium.

The final thing I want to discuss about the writing is the final section of the arc. I have always argued that one doesn’t cry at a Key work because it’s sad, you cry at it because it’s happy or hopeful or uplifting. This ending is one of those few exceptions (to some extent at least). The final monologue with Tomoyo typing is, in my opinion, one of the pinnacles of Key’s work, if not of all visual novels. It’s absolutely masterful. It once again ties back to the idea that life doesn’t always go the way you want it to, but you have to make the most out of it, which is something that is presented throughout the story as a whole, but this ending goes a step further than that.

To elaborate, I want to tie this theme of finding beauty/meaning in life to Maeda’s stories and songs. One of the lines written out is ‘This time, it’s your turn to be happy.’, and this line directly ties in to Maeda’s song ‘Shiawase ni Naru Ban’, which translates to something along the lines of ‘The Turn to be Happy’. For those of you that don’t know, this song features Lia, Tada Aoi, Rita and Chata and the album art features the Key characters Misuzu, Ayu, Nagisa and Komari, so symbolically this is a really significant track, which is also emphasised by the lyrics. Several of the lines reference themes presented in other Key works such as ‘Even when everything is already ashen. Even in the days I almost gave up on living. I believe that miracles exist.’, which ties back to the theme of miracles presented in Kanon and other Key works. So with that in mind, I want to draw attention to the lyrics in the final chorus:

‘A lot of things had happened. We already passed through the seasons. If you’re feeling down, please look at us. From far away, I said that I’m going to be fine, so… This time, it’s your turn to grasp your happiness’.

Given what I’ve already mentioned about the song, this final section is telling the listener that if they’re going through hard times, then look at back Maeda’s stories, look back at what his characters have had to go through and remember that in the end, they all found their happiness, so now they should too. This clearly shows how important this idea of people finding their happiness is to Maeda, but this isn’t the only example of it. In Angel Beats, the characters disappear when they have done everything they wanted to do while alive, when they have fulfilled their happiness in the afterlife. Once again, this presents how much Maeda values this concept of finding meaning in life and fulfilling it as that is one of the core concepts behind Angel Beats, but it’s not only Angel Beats which contains this theme. In Air (major spoilers) even though Mitsuru dies, she breaks the 1000 year curse by living a happy life towards the end of the novel. Even in the ending of Charlotte (minor spoilers) the characters mention how after all they’ve been through, they want to live fun and happy lives. To me, all this signifies one thing: Maeda believes that we live our life to be happy - that is his answer to the meaning of life. We live for happiness, whether it is our own or someone else’s. While I realise this is a very big statement to make, I honestly think this is one of the key messages Maeda has tried to communicate in one way or another in many of his works and whether or not you agree with this conclusion I think it’s difficult to deny the prominence of the theme of happiness throughout his works. Also, I don’t think this is a message he’s trying to force upon the reader – he’s not trying to make the reader believe that happiness is the meaning of life. One of the lines in the final section of the VN states ‘What your treasure is and how you obtain it is something nobody knows, but you will surely find it someday’. So clearly Maeda recognises that each person’s meaning in life is different, and that it’s up to us to find out what it is.

Next, I want to discuss how Maeda emphasises the themes of this story in contrast to other Key works. Surprisingly, this is one of the few endings with no ‘Key magic’. At the end, there is no sudden miracle allowing Tomoya to function as he previously could, which is a major contrast to a lot of Maeda’s works and makes it a lot more notable and impactful because of that. In a way, the ending becomes a lot more realistic because of this as well. Like I said before, the beginning of this arc embodies the idea that events just happen with very little foreshadowing or build up and there’s not much one can do to prevent them, so the ending of this arc carries on that theme. Since the story is about finding the beauty in life, it is appropriate to acknowledge that for some people, miracles do not occur and that many live very painful difficult lives, which is what makes the ending special in many regards as it’s a message that can be applied to everyone. To emphasise this idea of a beautiful and happy life, Tomoyo writes about how even though she’s gone through so much pain, she has found much happiness and meaning in life by helping other people find their meaning in life, which is really significant when you consider one particular section of this ending.

During the final section of the typing scene, Tomoyo writes: ‘If you, the person on the other side of the screen, ever find yourself alone on your journey, it’s all okay. You are not alone. I am here. I will be there to accompany you. So please relax. That is what I discovered together with him, walking alongside him’. This part broke me on so many levels. As many have already stated, this is literally just Jun Maeda breaking the fourth wall and directly talking to the reader through Tomoyo (and I honestly can’t emphasise enough how well it’s done and how much I love it), but it’s a lot more than just a perfectly executed technique. To me this line expresses why Maeda writes, whether it’d be stories or songs – he wants to help people’s journey through life and reassure them that they will always have someone to turn to in times of need. While one could naturally conclude this from just reading Maeda’s works in general, I think the fact that it’s presented in this story is really beautiful. Given that Maeda is using Tomoyo as a means to speak to the audience, we can actually extend this perspective to the rest of the ending, so I’m going to look at some other lines with this in mind. ‘All of it is like the sunset I saw that day. Dazzling. I was able to find that glimmer in life. Which is why I want to help those who are afflicted like I once was. I kept walking forward just like that, and before I had realised, it had become my meaning of life. Which is why, to those of you who have found your meaning in life, please help others to find theirs next’. Once again, if you consider that it’s Maeda that’s saying this, then it only emphasises the concept that Maeda wants to make people happy – he wants them to see the beauty of life like he does, and then have them help others see that beauty. I think from a personal point of view, several people of this community share a similar feeling, and will continue to share that feeling even after it’s gone. In that respect, I think Maeda has achieved his goal to some extent.

I’m going to break down the next section into a new post for ease of reading and because it’s all on the music of Tomoyo After.

4 Likes

Let me talk about the most criminally underappreciated song of any Key work ever – Life Is Like A Melody. Seriously. There are so few remixes and covers of this piece (both by fans and Key) that it’s really frustrating. But regardless, the way this piece is implemented into Tomoyo After is fantastic, so let me go over some key points. To start, the main elements of this song can be found in three different tracks in the OST: Old Summer Days, Memories and Harmony With Sorrow. The thing I want to discuss is how the order of these pieces naturally progresses towards/work in relation to Life is Like A Melody.

Firstly, Old Summer Days is a very rhythmic, laid-back piece – it acts like a typical piece of background music from any other VN, but the melody line is taken directly from the chorus of Life is Like A Melody. This is the first time anyone reading the VN would hear this melody line, so by disguising itself in a typical piece of background music, it places that musical idea in the listeners head in order for it to become more recognisable later.

Secondly, Memories is the typical music-box version of theme – it acts to signify the importance of a scene due to the use of contrasting sounds and the melody of Life Is Like A Melody, but to also give hope to the reader. As established with Old Summer Days, the listener already knows what the chorus goes like, so it adds in the verse as well in order for that to become recognisable later during when the song actually plays.

Thirdly, Harmony With Sorrow. Some of you may question how this is related to Life is Like A Melody, and my answer to that Harmony With Sorrow is associated with the ending/outro of Life is Like A Melody. The atmospheric ending of the song is very similar in style to Harmony With Sorrow. I think it’s important to mention that Harmony With Sorrow only plays during the final scene where Tomoyo is typing, so it’s easy to associate the ending of Life Is Like A Melody with those events, which I will discuss more later. But in general, this means that over the course of 3 pieces, the VN has allowed the listener to practically hear the entire song, just with slightly different elements and circumstances.

While this isn’t the only Key ending song to do this (CLANNAD’s Chiisana Tenohira also uses a similar approach), I think it’s also worth noting how each of these three pieces are used in relation to the novel and how life is presented. If you were to play these tracks back to back in order, they tell the story of Tomoyo After, of how an average life became one filled with hope and beauty, only for tragedy to strike, so the way the three pieces are used is more than just introducing material for Life Is Like A Melody.
While one could argue that music is supposed to develop with a VN’s story regardless of other reasons, I still think it’s relevant considering the title ‘Life is Like A Melody’ – it’s difficult not to consider meta-musical approaches and implementation techniques in a story driven experience when the title is so relevant to them. The way these pieces naturally develop and change in style emphasises the concept that life is indeed like a melody. Similarly, since with each piece a new idea for Life Is Like a Melody gets introduced, that can be taken to represent life ever growing and getting richer. Even if things change for the worse, it is still a part of your life, and it can still be something incredibly beautiful – this is what the ending of the piece hints at. As I said earlier, Harmony with Sorrow is only used during that one scene with Tomoyo typing, so one naturally associates that scene and its messages with that ending. This is really important when you consider what’s presented during that scene – lines like ‘There were times when I cried out through sadness. But it is because of those days, that everything is so dazzling today’ and ‘When the time comes, there should be nothing holding you back. You… You will already have a meaning of life’. The ending of Life Is Like A Melody is emphasising those themes and the importance of them, and this is only developed more when considering the actual lyrics of the piece.

So now let me talk about the lyrics. For the sake of tying it back to the VN I’m only going to looking at the short version of the piece since that’s what’s used in the credits and the also the full version does not have an official English translation and translations of this song are difficult to come by in general.

‘The calm breeze blows in summer. It’s a precious song that only belongs to us. In our cramped room, all the memories that have gone by and that same sky I had been waiting for’.

Already this is a really interesting verse because as previously mentioned, the tracks ‘Old Summer Days’ and ‘Memories’ use parts of Life Is Like a Melody, and both these concepts are alluded to in this verse. Naturally this refers to the beginning of the novel with Tomoyo and Tomoya spending their summer together and the amount of happy memories they gained through it – the hint towards the pieces Old Summer Days and Memories just emphasises that concept further. It also hints that Tomoyo is the one singing this song, which is something that becomes clearer as the lyrics develop.

‘Even by ourselves, we will keep walking. Our strength comes from our beliefs in each other’s hearts. Even though I could not quite catch up, walking slowly and steadily, our feet lined up’.

While it’s easy to conclude that this verse is about how helping each other and believing in each other makes us stronger (which to be fair, is something that is presented a lot through the different character arcs), I believe this section relates to something more specific. As previously mentioned, Tomoyo writes ‘Which is why, to those of you who have found your meaning in life, please help others to find theirs next’, which I believe is indicated by this section. The line ‘Our strength comes from our beliefs in each other’s hearts’ can be interpreted as one believing that someone else will find their meaning in life, or will help someone find their meaning in life. Similarly, the line ‘Even though I could not quite catch up, walking slowly and steadily, our feet lined up’ can symbolise the distance between someone who has found their meaning and someone who hasn’t. This has real significance when you consider the fact she’s most likely referring to Tomoya in this verse, which raises an interesting question – did Tomoya find meaning in his life? I personally think he did as throughout the novel he is consistently helping people and making them happy, not only with the big deeds he does like building a school for a village, but also the little things he does for the townsfolk at the beginning of the story. To quote Tomoya: ‘I’m glad I can help other people. That gives me such as sense of fulfilment. A small town is fine. I don’t care if I’m never famous. There are people who need me. Just that is enough. That is my purpose in life. I realise that. I carve this feeling into my heart so I will never forget it’. So while also justifying that Tomoya did find his meaning in life, is also emphasises that his meaning in life was to make other people happy, which ties back to my argument about how that’s Maeda’s answer to the meaning of life. So with that considered, this verse represents how Tomoya was helping Tomoyo find her meaning in life.

‘Even by myself, I will keep walking. Even if no-one else is here anymore, I will never forget those days I spent trembling, and I will keep going, engraving hope into every moment’.

Firstly, there is the obvious change from ‘Even by ourselves’ to ‘Even by myself’, which is a clear indication of Tomoyo losing Tomoya during the end of the story, but it once again ties back to the final section with Tomoyo typing. She emphasises how much pain she went through losing Tomoyo, but then later states ‘But it is because of those days, that everything is so dazzling today’, which clearly ties into this section of the song.

‘I hum the song that only we know under the blue sky that all of us painted together. Even though I can no longer catch up if I keep on walking, I can reach for the future’.

This final section is fantastic. Not only does the concept of hope slowly develop throughout the overall piece with this section being the climax, the lyrics themselves hint at something very subtle but quite beautiful. As stated, the first section of this song hints towards pieces that also include section from Life is Like a Melody, and it’s clear Tomoyo is the one singing this song, so there is a subtle implication that Life Is Like A Melody is the song that Tomoyo is referring to (or at the very least, the melody line is the same). Obviously that’s only if you want to take the lyrics literally instead of symbolically as the song she’s singing could be symbolic of her happily recalling her and Tomoya’s time together, but I think it’s quite beautiful that this is even a possibility. And clearly the final sentence refers to her having the strength to live without Tomoya because she has found her meaning in life.

Maeda really gave it his all for this VN and it really shows when looking at how consistently the themes are presented. It feels personal and intimate in a way which I haven’t experienced in any other story. It’s beautiful. I can’t describe it in any lesser way. For many people (including myself), Key’s works have been life changing and have helped in the most difficult of times. This arc is meant for that purpose. I would like to end this analysis with a quote from the ending of this arc – something that I wish more people in the world believed:

Now let’s go. The world is beautiful. And life is ever so magnificent. It’s a wonderful life!

2 Likes

I’m going to miss your comments, because you go through every aspects of the stories and the musics to interpret the writer’s intentions with your own words, and I really admire that.
I agree with you, Life is like a Melody is such a beautiful song… To be honest, I prefer it over Light Colors, and I love it for the same reasons as you, but I would not have made the connection between this piece and harmony with sorrow, so thanks :happy:.

2 Likes