Tomoyo After - After Arc Discussion

So, haah, there are a lot of things in my mind about this arc. I’ll try to put my thoughts ordered here, but we’ll see. I might repeat myself several times.

First of, this arc was great. So great, in fact, that I’ll have to debate for myself at a later point, which VN I like more, Clannad or Tomoyo After.

For my first actual point I might actually steal a discussion point from the podcasts that I think @Karifean mentioned everytime, so please excuse me. So he mentioned in every podcast how in every arc something from the past suddenly shows up and that our protagonists have to deall with it. This time, it’s Tomoya’s injury that’s catching up to him, and man does it screw him over. But not only that, thanks to his repeated retrograde and anterograde amnesia, he is tasked to recall his past every week as well. This was in a way also a very creative way to make callbacks to Clannad. And since Tomoya lost his memory of everything, I can also definitely say that someone who didn’t read Clannad should still be able to follow the plot. Sadly, he is not able to actually recall anything, but his love for Tomoyo still persists, and in that one week where they meet Not-Nagisa he is finally able to muster the courage to tell Tomoyo that. And it’s beautiful. Honestly, I believe that he has fallen for Tomoyo in most weeks, he just didn’t have the courage to tell her.

For my second point I’ll talk a bit more about myself and how this arc touched me on a very personal level. You see, Tomoya’s situation reminded me of something that happened in my family not to long ago, and I’d like to tell that little story here. So my uncle had a severe problem himself in the last year. Through most likely stress he developed an aneurysm in his brain and he would have died if his wife hadn’t realized that something is wrong. And that she realized that, is also a sign how much she loves and knows him. That is because the aneurysm ruptured in the dead of night, and she realized it because his breathing changed slightly while they were in bed. So after that, he was brought into a hospital. The next morning, when he was awake, he thought that he’s still in school and could neither recall his wife, nor their three children. Thankfully, for him operation went alright, so now everything’s okay there. Still, Tomoya’s situation reminded me of that and therefore the whole arc hit a lot harder than it might have otherwise. Even the anniversary that Tomoyo was noting every week is reflected in my uncle’s life, because he called the day he left hospital his new birthday.

For my third point, I’d like to go over something else that I realized in the whole novel. And that is, that the title itself is a major theme. Every arc in this game has a bittersweet ending to it, yet life goes on and life is still wonderful. Granted, the first two arcs are more sweet than bitter, with the only bad thing being the conflict’s pointlessness (Tomoya arc) and Takafumi coming in at number 31 in the race (Takafumi arc) although this is expanded on with Takafumi saying that he’ll probably never reach a truly competitive state (as in, reaching the top of runners) again in the After arc. The other two arcs’ bitterness should be obvious, but I’ll state it here for completion’s sake. Tomo arc is Tomo’s mother soon dying, and the After arc is of course Tomoya himself dying. Therefore, i took as a message from this game, that no matter what hardships one faces, life is still a wonderful thing and one should enjoy every happy moment that comes in it.

Now my final point is a lot shorter and also more on the funny side: So Tomoyo basically wrote the whole story as a forum post. That forum really must’ve been very leniant on character limits, since with so much stuff that happened, a character limit would surely have been met at some point before the end of the post. Then again, I might be underestimating the Japanese language in its ability to convey more content in fewer characters. Maybe some from our Japanese-speaking forum members might be able to tell me if it would be possible to put it all in one post or not.

7 Likes

There’s something I’d like to touch upon in regards to this arc and Tomoyo After in general, which is its meta aspect.

At the very end it turns out that the entire story we just read - not just After arc, but everything from Tomoya arc onwards - was written down by Tomoyo. She put it up on a public internet forum in the hopes that it gives people who read it and find themselves moved the strength to keep going and help others keep going as well. To put it bluntly, she literally becomes Key / Jun Maeda in this story. This is only underscored by the lines she directs at the “person on the other side of the screen”, which in-universe is a forum reader but is also a message directly from the writer of Tomoyo After to us, the readers in the real world. It quite literally analyzes and plainly comments on the relationship between Key and its fans.

These few lines concisely and precisely describe why I love Key as much as I do. Their stories are not tearjerkers meant to get an emotional reaction with no substance to them. These are novels that carry earnest messages, that the writers poured all their heart into.

This is also a major reason as to why I believe that Maeda had Tomoya die in the end. Because this time around, it’s not just about seeing fictional characters reach a happy ending against the odds. It’s plainly and obviously a message directly to us, the readers, about accepting the outcome and being happy in life despite shit happening. If the ending had Tomoya revive and live happily ever after, what would the message be to the readers who didn’t have things conveniently work out for them? No, it’s the other way around. The ending is meant to show that even though Tomoya died, even though things never worked out all that well for our protagonists from the beginning, even though Tomoya’s struggles in the first arc were ultimately without practical value, even though Takafumi will never be a pro runner again, even though doing the right thing in Tomo arc literally brought you onto the only path in the game that has Tomoya die, they can still be happy. That despite it all, they still firmly hold on to the belief that the world is beautiful, and life is wonderful. That those times are irreplaceable memories. That’s what Tomoyo shows us. That’s the narrative the lyrics of “Life is Like a Melody” weave. And that’s what makes this story so raw and powerful to me.

This aspect is not relegated to just those few lines in the epilogue either. The entire plot of the After arc feels drenched in this message. Tomoya wakes up with amnesia and for just one week, Tomoyo takes him on a journey to discover the things around him. It’s like a reader being brought into a fictional world by a passionate writer, one who tries their hardest to get their earnest feelings across to an oblivious reader in the span of just one novel’s length, hoping again and again to get them to reciprocate. Many times they don’t see it, sometimes they may dismiss it entirely, at times they do reciprocate but keep quiet about it, but then there are those rare few times where they do voice it. And then, hopefully, they join Kazamatsuri, a place for these people to gather. And for the author, as we can see in Tomoyo, those rare occurrences are worth all that effort. You can read even more deeply into what might have gone into writing the story this way, but this is already getting long as it is, and from here on out it’s only getting even more vague and subjective.

There’s no other Key visual novel that gives us that clear of an insight into the author’s heart and intentions in writing the story, and although I had a deep trust in Maeda’s best intentions from the beginning, seeing it affirmed so beautifully is a great feeling to me as a Key enthusiast. It makes Tomoyo After into a very personally moving story to me, in a different way compared to other Key novels. And for that I’ll treasure this experience forever, as my #2 favorite Key visual novel and #1 favorite ending to any visual novel ever.

11 Likes

I’ve mentioned it before somewhere, before all these fancy arc specific threads came up, but I like to believe that Tomoyo gathered enough orbs of light through passing on her message that she reset the timeline back to the start of Clannad. The old school Clannad synths that kick in at the end of Light Colors really gives it that “full circle” vibe. I do still think the story has a very satisfying book-end if you disregard this thought however.

1 Like

Wow… That post was amazing! I think you perfectly summarized the intentions behind this visual novel. Being a Christian, I do take issue with some of the thematic implications here, but I am just amazed at how spot-on you are to Jun Maeda’s message. Major props. :slight_smile:

Since Cloud and friends tidied things up nicely in this version, we’ve of course gotta do some public shaming. In the After arc epilogue, we have this line: (Version 1.1.0)

But when I read it the first time 2 months ago, it looked like this.

Someone clearly done goofed here, so obviously I can’t let the internet forget about that just because of a silly patch. It’s human to make mistakes, but I think it’s also human to poke fun at people who make mistakes.

3 Likes

My post was a little late for the beginning of the After Arc, so I’ll finally be able to write my overall thoughts about it. The start of this arc was shocking when Tomoya had developied amnesia. I felt for Tomoyo struggling to as she decides to visit certain places that he might remember as they had both attended the high school during the events in CLANNAD. The scenery was so nostalgic when Tomoyo had first met Tomoya on that second floor classroom 2-B. When she first transferred to the school, she wondered about the time that Tomoya and Sunohara had fun as they were goofing off with their lives being delinquents in the past. As Tomoyo revisited the sakura trees, she told him how her family was saved during that incident which turns out to be the deciding factor by becoming the student council president. With that determination, she would do everything possible for Tomoya as the recovery process slowly begins by getting his memories back.

The scene where Tomoyo and Tomoya met up with the girl named Ogawa almost reminded me of Nagisa from CLANNAD. Ogawa was afraid to walk the uphill path leading up to the sakura trees as she had health problems. The fact that they both wanted to help her out was suprisingly memorable as Ogawa was thankful to them as she was given the courage needed to go back to the school.

There were some scenes that I had a hard time re-reading which some were new in this version that got me teary-eyed at times such as the part where Takafumi, Kanako, and Tomoyo were sitting at the hospital learning of the cruel situation that befell on Tomoya. I was heartbroken when Kanako was outraged saying it was unfair that they have been suffering for so long that she was willing to beat him up which Takafumi told her it wouldn’t have done any good. The other scene that made me cried the most was Tomoyo had at one time given up hope and wandered aimlessly at their apartment living day by day as the weeks passed by on an endless loop that seemed forever. It was painfully cruel and emotional at times that it felt impossible to keep going on without him as Tomoya would end up forgetting everything once he loses his memory for every week that goes by. After all those three years, she was very devoted to Tomoya and lovingly supported him throughout all the struggles they both faced was part of their eternal bond of love for each other. The fact that Tomoya proposed to Tomoyo surprised me despite the consequences of the decision whether or not he should go through the operation was sad but she had faith that he would regain those memories again. I was surprised when they met Tomoya’s father to tell him that the operation was going to happen depsite their bad relationship, and after they left, Naoyuki was cleaning the house to prepare for the day when Tomoya would come back had left me speechless. I thought that was very special of him to do that and it made me appreciate him a lot more than ever as he probably really did care for him in his heart.

The end scene where Tomoyo types to the viewer (assuming us as the readers) was so emotional that I couldn’t stop crying because we all face problems in life. It’s that no matter if we are happy, sad, angry, or even cry, that we are never alone in life and we can find that treasure within ourselves and live a wonderful life as we help each other out together to face forward and see what the future holds out for us.

Overall, the message I gained from Tomoyo After is that life can be wonderful and we have to cherish those memories spent with others. True, we’ll make mistakes and fail at times but it’s when we become strong that we can overcome all odds when finding the very treasure which can withstand everything we hold precious and dear to us. It has truly become one of my most treasured Key VNs that shows that things don’t work out the way we want to but we have to make the effort to try our best in life and find the things that make our lives meaningful. That’s what I learned from re-reading Tomoyo After as Jun Maeda’s wonderful stories continue to inspire me.

6 Likes

I’m actually quite interested in hearing you talk about this in more detail, if you don’t mind. What implications do you take issue with?

Perhaps I’m over-analyzing it, but as a Christian, I believe that repenting of one’s sins and choosing to devote and have faith in Jesus’ message of salvation is what ultimately gives us meaning. Essentially, I’m wrestling with whether the world has value apart from God. However, one could easily look back in the Bible and point out that God loves all people, sinner and saint, and therefore things like friendship, love, and self-sacrifice would still have value because they are still wonderful things. Furthermore, although it has been tainted by sin, the world still has value. We are meant to connect with other people and to live life not only putting deep trust in God but to live it in a way that we put others above ourselves. The latter is handled excellent in Tomoyo After, with both of our leads getting a chance to support the other when they need help.

So… I guess you could say I’m divided? I might see a slight problem in this, but now that I’ve thought it over, I’m not so sure… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Been a while since I read either TA or the Bible, but I think the message of treasuring life (regardless of the happenings in it) is a message that both share. I’d say the biggest issues on that front come more from Clannad.

In regards to repentance, I think it was there. There’s no confession or desire for salvation, but there was an inner reflection. A very human development. Accepting, understand and moving on from highlighted problems with one’s self (albeit begrudgingly in some cases) was very core to the cast and primarily Tomoyo’s progression. It’s nice to frame it in context. She has gone from a girl who fought on the streets, to someone who spreads a message of hope to those who struggled like her. She presents both the problems of a person with a rough upbringing, the promise of someone wanting to grow beyond that, and the act of wanting to help others achieve the same growth. She’s still pretty ignorant of some of her own issues, like the whole selfishness thing, but that’s just what this couple is… or was. I like to think actions matter more than beliefs, but nevertheless, they grew positively without any ulterior desires. They just wanted to live a good life.

6 Likes

Tomoyo After: After Arc Analysis

Here we are, finally. I’m now able to talk about whatever I want without caring about spoilers and having to worry about using things from the following arcs in my theories.

So, After Arc is finished, probably one of the best ending arcs in KEY. I’ll put it at the same level as After Story and Refrain, though I think that they all are at the same level for different reasons.

Without thinking too much, the only think I could say about the After Arc is that it was deep. It wasn’t as emotional as other ending arcs. It was just intense, deep and full of meaning. It made me suffer without really crying.

I hadn’t really been spoiled about Tomoyo After’s ending, so just as mentioned in the previous podcast, I thought that Tomo’s Arc was the last one, though I still kept thinking about Tomoya’s accident. Even then, when they returned to Tomoya’s house and both Tomoyo and Tomoya started talking casually I was surprised. The writing didn’t hint an ending tone, so I thought there was something more to come, and the only thing I could think of was Tomoya’s accident. Back from the Tomo Arc I kept wondering why such an important injury had been shrugged off so easily. I was sure there had to be more than that. And KEY delivered. When Tomoya started loosing his motor skills I started thinking that it might end up as in a certain KEY work (I’m not putting spoiler tag context because it would spoil the work itself, so proceed at your own risk) I’m talking about Angel Beats! more specifically, about the life Yui and Hinata would have lived if they were together. I was wrong, however. It was something completely different, Tomoya lost his memory. I should’ve seen that coming, there was a lot of foreshadowing about this during the whole VN. But when I thought everything was going to eventually be solved, Tomoyo comes up with a series of very worrying lines. For a second, I could see her dumping Tomoya, then I was relieved she didn’t, then I was tense again because of what she said: Tomoya kept loosing his memory every week or so.

I loved this specific part of the arc. I couldn’t see anything come. All the information was so sudden and provoked a train of totally contrary emotions: sadness when Tomoya awoke without knowing anything, happiness when I saw Tomoyo was there and would never abandon him, frustration seeing that Tomoya wouldn’t remember anything, pity seeing what Tomoyo had to endure, tension during the conversation at the hill outside the school, I was concerned about Tomoyo dumping Tomoya, relieve at seeing that she didn’t do so, despair seeing the real situation Tomoyo was in, hope knowing about the operation, sadness again when the operation didn’t go well…

But in the end (supposing Tomoya died), all I could feel was satisfaction. Not because Tomoya had died, of course, but because everything seemed as if it had ended. Tomoyo was satisfied, so so was I. And this satisfaction is about what many of you were talking about. Many things will happen in life, both happy things and sad things, and despite the bad things making us suffer, we must not forget that the happy things make life worth living. As many of you already said, It’s a wonderful life after all. This is why I think satisfaction is the best emotion to express that. Being satisfied means that you accomplished something. Maybe things could’ve been better, but despite all the bad things, what you accomplished makes it worth enough for you to say I’d repeat this life I had.

And I find it curious, that this is a theme a well known philosopher brought up. I’m talking about Nietzsche. Now, you may be more or less familiar with his theory of the Übermensch and the Eternal return. For those of you who aren’t, here’s a brief explanation:

People normally live plain lives and don’t put any effort into making theirs a perfect life. According to Nietzsche, the Übermensch does that and we should all try to be like this Übermensch. The Eternal Return is a myth in which every certain amount of time, the world would collapse and burn just to start over again (allowing everyone to live again). Normally, people would find this horrible, but the Übermensch finds this idea very positive because he was able to live a wonderful previous life, so he’ll be able to do the same on the next Return.

There’s a lot than this, but it’ll serve for the point I want to make.

Tomoyo became a Übermensch. She lived what she harvested from her actions and the random events that she had no control over, and she is proud of it. She treasures her live and would love to live it again if whe was offered the opportunity, regardless of all the suffering. And this is because all the suffering she went through didn’t crush her. Instead, she learned from all her experiences and decided to put them into good use. She never thought about feeling depressed during the rest of her life. You could say that what didn’t kill her made her stronger, which by the way, is another quote by Nietzsche.

Another trait of the Übermensch that Tomoyo has is Der Wille zur Macht (The will to do). This is a concept in which humans aren’t just creatures who eat, reproduce and adapt to the surroundings. They go further beyond. But I’m not talking about working like a dumbhead in a community like many people do. There’s people who survive, then there’s people who live. Tomoyo would be one of the people who live, since after the main events of the After Arc, she decides to devote herself into nursing and helping people in despair, not just to earn a living, but because she really wants to do so. She goes one step further and converts all her experience into knowledge, and then shares her knowledge with the whole world, specially with those who are seeking that specific knowledge she acquired.

Now stepping a bit away from all this philosophy, and going back to analysing the characters from a more standard point of view, I wanted to talk about Tomoya. It was really funny to see a 16 year old in the body of an adult man who had a job, a girlfriend and, after a while, a wife. But more than funny, it was interesting to see this evolution of the feelings he had. He awoke feeling that everything was off and weird, that he didn’t belong there, even that Tomoyo shouldn’t be there, but with time he kept changing his mind about his surroundings. Tomoyo became a friend / akward lover. and he became a foreigner in a town he vaguely remember. But after some more time, Tomoyo trully became someone he loved, and the town turned into the home of a homeless traveller: he didn’t know much about what was going on, but ended up feeling that he belonged to that place.

All these changes where subtly done, but kept on piling up until the point they became notorious and relevant. It was, a very well pulled-off character development. Almost as good as the one in After Story, though the circumstances are completely different here.

Going back to Tomoyo, It struck me how she was able to keep going. I loved how they showed her staring into the abyss at times, hesitant to jump. It helped forging Tomoyo into a really believable character. She fought day after day, week after week, memory reset after memory reset. She never faded. I also loved the detail they gave about her acting in different ways with “different Tomoyas” as a way of explaining how she was unstable and staggering due to all the pain she had to withstand. This also shows how she was hesitant about how to deal with the situation, and we could see her cheerful one week, desperate the next one, and then sorry for having been desperate during the past one.

The side characters were almost nonexistant, but their scarce lines were of a golden quality in my opinion. Kanako’s anger and frustration was perfectly conveyed into the reader. It showed how she really cared about Tomoya, hence, confirming how she trully is this VN’s MVP (just kidding, Tomoyo did way too much in this arc to be ignored). Another side character that deserves mentioning is Sunohara. Even though his cameo was fleeting, it was enough to slingshot a theme brought up mainly in CLANNAD, that is how strong relationships between people are. Sunohara lived in a town, and now works in another one, both far away from Tomoya’s house. He was just in Tomoya’s hometown during his stay in senior high school. (Spoilers about Sunohara’s route in CLANNAD) There, he lost his dream of playing professional football, and with it, his only apparent motivation in life. There’s nothing Sunohara would like about the town if it wasn’t for Tomoya, his pal, his partner in crime. So when he saw Tomoya in that state, in a state where all his memories with Sunohara and their relationship had disappeared, Sunohara lost a place he could call home. Though fast and almost unnoticeable I loved the depth put into this short bit.

Overall, the Arc felt really deep. It had lots of suffering but didn’t try to provoke powerful emotions on the reader. I felt that it tried to rather convey a bigger message. Also, the bitter-sweet ending (depending on how you interpret it, of course), is something I like to see more that strictly happy endings, as they feel more realistic. In this case, I could feel everything was real, unlike (CLANNAD After Story ending spoilers) where the light orbs where properly foreshadowed and I still loved the ending, but deep inside me I still think it was a tiny bit unrealistic.

So 5/5 for this arc. I’ll later on do a more in depth comparison about it versus After Story from CLANNAD.

Finally, now that we’ve finished the entirety of the VN (although Dungeons and Takafumi’s engaging storyline still remains) I’d like to give special attention to something that I think all of us agree upon: Tomoyo After’s OST is amazing.

Since music is something very important, once again, as Nietzsche said: Without music, life would be a mistake. Even Tomoya says the same when he’s repairing an old gramophone in the Tomo Arc. And to give it the OST the credit it deserves, I present you the following analysis.

Tomoyo After: ~It’s a Wonderful OST~

First of all, if you haven’t bought it you should. It’s 2.99€ in Europe and I believe it’s 4.99$ in the US in Steam. This said, let’s get going with the analysis.

For starters, we have the opening, Light Colors, sung by Lia, is a song the lyrics of which uncover the message of having to fight in a collapsing world to recover the beautiful light that faded away. The clear parallel here is having to fight in the middle of despair to achieve the happiness Tomoyo once had besides Tomoya, only that this time she’ll have to achieve it herself. There’s also some lines in which Tomoyo prays for the one hearing her to believe in her ability to overcome the situation. While this someone hearing looks like Tomoya, it could also be a reference to Tomo and the promise they made at the end of the Tomo Arc. However, let’s look at it from a different perspective. What if the singer was Tomoya? Then it would talk about the determination he lost and how even in difficult situations he’ll step up and deal with problems head on. Also, there’s a line saying something along the lines of “the evening calm is changing to red”. Could this be a reference to Tomoya fighting the thugs during the first arc?

Let’s not forget about the melody itself. Light Colors has an ongoing solid accompaniment that reminds me of a hectic and turbulent atmosphere. The music never stops, there are no pauses, there’s always some powerful beat sounding in the background. All the instruments are playing loudly at all times, but even then, a voice tries to break through all the “noise” and express its intentions. If this song makes me feel something, then that’s determination and confidence.

Let’s jump straight to the ending theme: Life is like a Melody. The title itself is just on point with the core message of the whole VN, since melodies are supposed to be filled with ups and downs, but when you finish hearing them, you end up liking them. And what you like about them is the way they combine those ups and downs. If a melody had no contrast inside then it would become to plain and not as enjoyable, like life itself, at least according to the VN.

The lyrics speak about how having to move on after the main events of the After Arc is something hard and difficult due to not being accostumed to living alone, but the experience gathered during those years and the time they spent together helps them walk on to an unknown future. It’s interesting to see Tomoyo’s hesitance here once again, though there’s something very different this time.

The difference in this hesitance can be found in the melody and the smooth voice this song is sung in. The smooth voice represents a calmed Tomoyo, while the powerful and crystal clear voice is the image of Tomoyo’s determination and resolve once she’s past the most painful days, so while she speaks about being hesitant, deep inside her she knows what to do and, in fact, ends up doing as written on the VN.

Now on to the unvoiced tracks. we have 17 of them, 14 if we don’t count the D&T ones. The first one I’ll talk about is hope, the menu music also used during Takafumi’s Ar for the first time and some other times during the VN. This is a very peaceful track. With a simple high pitched melody repeating over and over again during most of it, you might think that it’s a bit repetitive, but there are some slight variations to that main melody made at different points, such as cords or thirds and/or fifths being added to the main notes, adding depth to the melody and slightly changing the feeling you get from hearing every repetition of the main loop. The accompaniment represents very well the entirety of the VN, from simple 1/4ths adding some color to the melody, representing the peacefulness of the first two arcs, to chains of 1/16ths representing the ongoing tension going on at the village in Tomo’s Arc. There’s also the strings playing low notes on the background, adding more and more tension to the piece, until, finally, there’s a combination of 1/8ths that repeat for some bars, with just subtle changes, in which I see Tomoya loosing his memories over and over again, and the ups and downs of the dynamics show Tomoyo’s different mental states. However, the whole piece ends with an unresolved, peaceful chord without any tonic note, so as to say that the difficulties are now left behind, but life hasn’t ended.

Another good track is love song this one inspires tranquillity as well, but not the tranquillity hope expressed, this one has a different feeling to it. It’s the tranquillity of a happy day as any other, of things happening without any important consequence erupting from such mundane events. This feeling is also found in other tracks like dear old home and rivulet These make for great general background music when you want to give profundity to the atmosphere and just want to describe different things without nothing important really happening. Morning Glow is also a good choice for this purpose, but since it’s a tad more upbeat, it would fit comedy moments too, as well as some funny and happy gags. The same could be said about favorite loop. It’s a quite artificial track with an upbeat feeling that makes it great as a BGM for those comedic gags.

An special case is old summer days. This piece of the OST is both peaceful to listen to and has a slightly fast tempo, as well as an upbeat feeling. It’s a rearrange from Life is like a Melody, only that it transforms it into a melody that inspires happiness and a certain feeling of determination to go on. This feeling is conveyed by the melody combining several different rhythms, specially at the chorus. However, it also explains how the world overall doesn’t change much from these special actions the characters of the VN do. This is hinted by the accompaniment. It has ups and downs in its dynamics, but the main rhythm doesn’t change much and can be clearly heard after the chorus ends, symbolising that the world is still there, despite everything.

There’s a piece that fills a very particular need: young lust this is a track used for the fighting scenes. There’s not a lot to say about it. It needs to add tension to the atmosphere and it delivers it, so a nice track.

Since I’m a piano lover, I have to give a special mention to dear old home -piano- and love song -piano-. I liked the profundity added by the left hand accompaniment to both pieces, making them more downbeat and drama suited, specially with love song, the tempo of which has been reduced and very good rhythmic melody/accompaniment combinations have been added.

There are some very dramatic tones in the OST, as it should be. Clear examples are harmony and harmony with sorrow here, the instruments playing remind me of an ethereal world, something far away. This help giving a feeling of distance and coldness into the atmosphere, which helps further lowering the mood at some points of the VN. Harmony with sorrow is the favourite track for many of you, and while I don’t share that feeling, I still recognise it’s calmed piano playing over the ethereal track makes it a beautiful track.

Another dramatic piece of the OST is memories. This rearrange of Life is like a Melody uses a combination of instruments that make me imagine a light of hope in between the darkness that despair evokes. Also, due to the moment it plays, when Tomoyo starts crying realising that she has to be strong, this track has become my second favourite after hope. The xylophone-like instrument playing arpeggios makes me think of tears falling down continuously, while the powerful melody that kicks in after a while brings out all the frustration Tomoyo was probably experiencing at the moment.

Finally, there are the Dungeons and Takafumi’s tracks. These ones are the typical ones of action videogames and RPGs, so they fit perfectly in there. However, while keeping the elements the used at a very simple level, they managed to create really motivating music. Just having a main repeating melody and different accompaniments kicking in, they delivered a sub-OST of a decent level for the amount of time I would expect them to dedicate to D&T.

So this is it about the music. Speaking about such an abstract thing is, indeed, difficult, but if I have at least accomplished my of giving this OST the mention it deserved, then I’ll be more than happy. Feel free to comment on which track you like the most and why, and also go ahead and try to describe it!

Finally, I want to say that I spoke my mind about the arc, but even after rereading my post, I still think that I can’t express to the fullest what I experienced in this Arc and my thoughts about it, but if you manage to grasp a even a bit of what I try to explain, it’ll be worth. Once again, and excuse me if I’m boring you with it, I’d like to quote Nietzsche one more time: Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.

9 Likes

Wow… What an amazing analysis! I wish I had your critical reading skills. :slight_smile:

I’m still a little unsure how I feel about Tomoya dying. I’m not sure if his death itself inspires him so much as supporting him when he’s so desperately needs it is what causes her to grow or mature. From that perspective, part of me feels like there’s not much of a point to it. Conversely, her observations about life after the horrible ordeal she’s been through don’t come quite as strong if Tomoya survives. Maybe I would’ve preferred a compromise in which he was comatose…?

I can’t believe I didn’t realize this before. The most unique thing about the After arc in my mind is that it’s TOMOYO and not Tomoya that’s the protagonist in this final part of the story. For the first three arcs, we’ve watched Tomoya grow into a person who’s more assertive and conscious of events and people around him. He’s grown into someone who tries his best to cultivate growth in others, even at a cost to himself. Here, Tomoyo is the focus. She’s the hero who has to sacrifice everything to care for the man she loves. To watch her lover be confused and only a shadow of his former self is a draining experience on her, and it even causes her to quit temporarily. But nonetheless, she pulls through and moves on by cherishing the memories she had with Tomoya, knowing that even though those times have passed, they’re just as real today as they were when they occurred. In a way, I feel like this is Key’s first big story with a female protagonist. If one explained this ordeal without referencing gender, I imagine some would guess Tomoya would be the one trying to stay strong. Heck, Key has done memory loss stories with their heroines before. But this time, Tomoyo is DEFINITIVELY the second protagonist of this story. She grows and finds depths within herself she didn’t know about through this ordeal. Even with my uncertainty about the ending, I can appreciate this for being a unique twist and new-ground for Maeda that ends up working out beautifully.

3 Likes

Exactly, Tomoyo is a second protagonist, and this is something really appreciated in VNs, where you are stuck to a single person’s way of thinking during the entirety of the work. This is partly why I love Refrain (Refrain writing structure spoilers) , where we see the side characters point of view and, thus, we get to experience them more as protagonists than side characters. It’s a refreshing experience that adds up a lot more to the totality of the VN, since we get to see the same issues through the eyes of different personalities with different attitudes towards the same world.

About Tomoya dying or not, I said some time ago that I didn’t really think that the message would change, so I’d accept whichever outcome. Even if he survived, both having learned important things would allow interesting fanfics about them being old and speaking to each other about this dark time they once went through.

Though, if Tomoya died, there’s also this meaning that 50% chances can end up in failure, and the final message would be a lot stronger and would get through many people, specially those whose life isn’t going all that well, just like @Karifean said.

1 Like

That was a nice analysis, @Mogaoscar. I wish I could also do some heavy critical thinking when it comes to explaining why After Arc is one of my favorites just like After Story and the Refrain routes. The Tomoyo After soundtrack has been one of my favorite OSTs for quite some time even after re-reading the VN. I think I mentioned this on Discord but my favorite tracks are “hope”, “old summer days”, “Harmony”, and “Harmony with Sorrow” just to name a few. Apparently now, I enjoy the OP “Light Colors”, and “Life is Like A Melody” a lot more since re-reading the VN.

For the track “hope”, the song felt that there was so much meaning to how both Tomoya and Tomoyo’s lives would change as they struggle to move forward despite everything they been through together. There was a way for them to do something with the eternal love that Tomoyo had described would last forever, which in the After Arc, she had to endure so much with Tomoya suffering through memory loss that she at times lost her way and faced numerous trials. But then, she had eventually found that hope by continuing to lovingly support Tomoya through and through even after his death. She found the treasure to become a family as she wanted to find out about it and now helps others who have also been afflicted with such pain and suffering.

I really do enjoy reading your posts and I like to be able to think of how things probably might of went if Tomoya had not died. Fanfics would be a good way to express how Tomoya and Tomoyo would have lived during those critical moments of their lives.

2 Likes

That was a great analysis, both the VN itself and the Soundtrack. You also put to words what I kinda suspected when I was first starting the game: That the title theme (hope) has a deeper meaning and probably foreshadows the story in some way. And that wasn’t even all, you say? Well, then I’m interested in the continuation of this analysis.

That someone would be me, and well, I really have no excuse for that derp (or know how I got it wrong the first time), but if you are really inclined to poke fun at the mistakes, they’ll always be there in release version on Steam :masdum:

This part brings the overall quality of Tomoyo After down so much its disgusting.

It’s just fluff that doesn’t mean anything.

@Kanon for Tomoyo After Bookclub MVP!

Well, she did better than the one who said “it’s OK” in another arc.

Having just finished this, I just now realise that the After Story anime had a big nod to the ending of Tomoyo After.

9 Likes

Edit: My question’s been answered, so I felt it best to remove my original post in hopes of reducing the chance of spoiling someone.