Song Usage and Placement

It gave me nightmares.

1 Like

Discussion question time!
What song should be the first one we hear in the Rewrite anime?
(Discounting the OP, if it plays before everything else)

I firmly believe that if the anime starts with a monologue from Koutarou, the song that plays should be Hinagiku. It carries a great sense of mystery that I think frames the entire series. Also, because itā€™s Kagariā€™s theme, it provides great foreshadowing. When the viewer inevitably hears it again later, they would be more aware that the scene is different from the normal shenanigans from the common route. Any other scene might use something else, but the powerful opening monologue deserves to be backed by Hinagiku.

3 Likes

I actually went and listened to all the OSTs and youā€™re right. Hinagiku is the only one that could be nicely used IF the Rewrite anime started with a Kotarou monologue. Didnā€™t they also use it fo the VN? I donā€™t remember much of the beginning hehe. But then, they could still not start with a monologue. In the visual novel, they started with the monologue then a Yoshino scene, I believe. In the anime, they could reverse it and show us the Yoshino scene with either DIS is a pain or Wataboushi then a monologue but then the monologue would be different and with a different OST like Sankaā€¦ But thatā€™s still very unlikely so yeah, youā€™re right, the monologue with Hinagiku would be a better start for the anime. I believe that too but I still kind of wish for something different than the VN.

2 Likes

While I also hope this is the case, I could also see them starting with the first Kotori scene, while using Nirinsou (Kotoriā€™s theme), and then cutting to said monologue. I could see this happening, as to not immediately throw the anime only viewers into a serious moment.

I recalled another favorite song placement! (Rewrite Kotori) You know the scene where Kotarou wakes up in a hospital and realizing that he survived the ordeal was a very cathartic moment and even more so when Honesty played along with it. ;u;

I hope they do this in the anime too, if they ever adapt Kotori route faithfully.

BTW, if thereā€™s any song placement I ever disliked, it was when My Unpleasant Thing (Little Busters!) was playing. Itā€™s a very uneasy song, but it always detracted from the experience for me whenever it plays. Thereā€™s also Fabrication (Air), but itā€™s probably because itā€™s not meant for the anime format. The track worked well in the VN though.

2 Likes

I think it would be a crime if ā€œCarnationā€ didnā€™t play when Shizuru first appears in the anime.
Itā€™s such a beautiful song, and the closest thing to Koibumi.

1 Like

Itā€™s her character song so it wouldnā€™t make sense to not have it play. Just like Nirinsou (Soft Windflower) should play for Kotori and Sunbright for Lucia and so on.

I would say Finale during the salvation in Akaneā€™s route

Helios asked for someone to revive this topic so Iā€™m back to talk about Planetarian. Because this is about Planetarian, I always end up talking about Christian beliefs, especially my own, somewhere down the line. I try not to make it too awkward but like, itā€™s just how I am so bear with me.

I have no idea if @Totoro_Futaki is even here anymore but I have to disagree with your opinion that the bgmā€™s in the final chapter donā€™t have enough impact. I believe they do, and hereā€™s why. (I guess Planetarian spoilers) Most of the journey outside of the planetarium has no bgm and just is the sound of rain. Actually to be more accurate, there is only the sound of rain whenever Yumemi isnā€™t with the Junker. Which I just found really interesting. It says something here, but that interpretation can be different for everyone. For me though, I interpret this as follows. Its not immediately obvious, but the basically the sole purpose of the Junker in this game is to meet Yumemi and eventually be given purpose by her display of the stars. If Yumemi is not around, there is no longer light in this world. Instead of light though, the novel chooses to use sound instead. There is no longer purpose. Like sure, Yumemi is still around, but this is the only time in the novel where Yumemi isnā€™t by his side. In this way, the absence of sound is powerful.

Entirety of planetarian vn spoilers At the end of the fight, Yumemi is almost dead and Perfectly Human plays. I think one of the coolest things about this track is itā€™s naming convention. IIRC it can be translated as Perfectly Human or Perfect Human. One references the fact that Yumemi is essentially human, and not a robot. The other references the fact that Yumemi is comparable to Jesus, the perfect human. I think this song is really good also because it seems almost hopeless, but yet as we see later (kinda) Yumemi still lives, even if its only in our hearts (or maybe even more so?).

Then before the credits, the last song that plays is Itsukushimi Fukaki, the Loving Depths, or also an instrumental version of What a Friend We Have in Jesus. The only audio that goes along with this is the sound of rain and Yumemi inviting all to the planetarium. As a Christian, my interpretation is as follows. As was discussed in the Planetarian General topic, Yumemi is essentially Jesus, the stars represent heaven, and rain is the sin that blocks us from it. In her (his) death, Yumemi (Jesus) invites us to see the stars (heaven) even though we are still being rained on (are still sinners). The song gives us confirmation of this connection. And it also confirms that whatever happens, we have a friend in Yumemi (Jesus) who lives in our hearts.

At this point I shouldā€™ve just posted in Planetarian Generalā€¦ maybeā€¦

2 Likes