Sentai Filmworks Is (finally) Licensing Little Busters! EX OVAs

Sentai first announced their acquisition of the Little Busters!: Refrain anime almost 3 years ago. However, despite the 8 EX OVAs originally being bundled with the Japanese BD/DVD releases; apparently Sentai's license only covered the core 13-episode season. As a result, for the past several years there has been

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/sentai-is-finally-licensing-little-busters-ex-ovas/

Who all thinks that EX is going to get dubbed? I personally think so because they’ve already got both of the previous seasons released dubbed and why break the trend? If they do dub it, any speculation of who might voice Saya? I’m wanting to see Luci Christian.

Almost certainly, but LB has one of the worst dubs I’ve ever seen, so I’m not expecting much :stuck_out_tongue:

The real question is, do you think this will come out before or after the VN?

1 Like

Finally indeed. I guess all that’s left is the Saito episode, unless that one was licensed prior.

Yeah, I can see that happening. That would be pretty entertaining.

I want to say before the VN, cause it will probably reinvigorate interest in the series for anime-only viewers and fans, resulting in them getting excited when they hear that the VN getting re-released. At least, that’s how I see it.

2 Likes

Come on, the dub wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t really the best, but by Sentai’s usual standards, it was pretty damn good.

2 Likes

It really wasn’t. I’d rather watch any Key dub than Little Busters.

Just look at “Harooka Saigoosa” and Riki’s completely emotionless performance during ‘that’ Refrain scene.

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.

YESSS!! I rewatched the series about a month ago and was disappointed that the EX OVAs wasn’t dubbed, but now it’s a possibility.

considering it’s 8 episodes, I agree with @Inuconandoyle as it’d be good marketing to release it before the VN.

Really? I mean, I must admit it wasn’t the best, but there are certainly worse and I liked some of the voices, like Mio, Kyousuke and Haruka.

GOOD SHOOTING RIKI

I’m actually surprised that the EX episodes hasn’t been officially released in English until this happened. I’d think they’d include it in the english release of refrain, but I guess not.

2 Likes

I honestly would not be surprised if Sentai didnt even know the VN is getting an English Steam release >.> Even so, I find it highly unlikely that VA and Sentai would communicate about their different release dates.

If VA were really smart, theyd try to release the VN either on the in-game start date (May 13), or perhaps even better, the 10th anniversary of the original LB release: July 27, 2017.

Sentai will release who knows when; they havent techinically even promised a release at all yet, heh :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m so happy about this. It looks like it took 2 years for Sentai to answer me :wink:

I’m not really sure who would fit Saya Tokido’s voice for the English dub if Sentai decides to produce one. I’d say Brittney Karbowski (the voice of Rin Natsume and Yuri from Angel Beats) would have fit since Sentai likes to have actors and actresses play similar characters (make sense?) in their anime they license. I just pray they do not use the voice actress who did Kyou Fujibayashi’s voice. If they do, then I’d just stick with Japanese subs and be happy that EX finally gets an English release. Then there’s the problem with what will they use for the DVD/Bluray cover and what the menus will look like. I’m assuming they’ll use the EX bluray art for the disc art. And since its 8 episodes it’ll probably be 2 discs. Ahhhh I can’t wait. It’s a great year to be a Key fan.

You really think they’ll wait until 2017 to release Little Busters? HOW NAIVE!

1 Like

I have not bought the other English DVD sets but this is exactly what I’ve been waiting for, hoping there are subs since out of all of the KEY anime dubs this was my least favorite.

How many years of SOON™ do I have wait for Hanabee to get their hands on it & out of the door? Ayy

Seriously although, it’s 99% the sentai one is gonna be region free so ya let’s do this

Release date confirmed for December 6.

English Dub and Subs confirmed as well.
3 Likes

Well we can now confirm that Saya is voiced by Hilary Haag, whose other dub voice-overs in the Key universe include Fuko from Clannad and Yui from Angel Beats.

ANN source (scroll down to the bottom)
MAL Source