Sekai Project Topic

True, which is also why I ask about the previous works of said team and if those are reliable

The team working on it now are ok But I feel with how big Clannad is they will work well on it and im sure Sekai Project will try to make it as good as they can make it. After all this is one of there Bigger projects so I guess we can only hope they put there all in it but I have a good feeling they will do well with it.

I have to think they will make double sure to release a quality product with Clannad, it is by far their biggest project to date and after seeing that reddit post of the Q&A with Visual Arts and Key I would think doubly so.

In case you missed it VA/Key agreed to answer the top 10 upvoted posts on Reddit and one of them asked about their thoughts on maybe making a western branch that could possibly lead to naturally ported games if not simul-releases and their response was they want to see how well the Clannad kickstarter campaign was gonna go so I’m sure Sekai knows they have some big names watching this prjoect closely.

1 Like

If anything I’m more curious about what Sekai plan to do with the… $541,000 that they have for Clannad. I’m gonna go ahead and assume that it will not cost NEARLY that much to translate and release the game ($140k initial goal, while a team had already been working on a fan translation for $0). Kickstarter rewards are gonna be a chunk out of that, as is licensing and the stretch goals, but that’s gotta leave at least a couple hundred thousand dollars left over. With a budget like this I’m expecting a pretty much perfect translation at the very least.

(also giant official dango plushie pls)

Well they’ll definitely have to pay for the large amount of content that they have to distribute… The rest if profit.

Really, I think that the way this kickstarter (among others) works is they kind of get an advance on the sales. So instead of shouldering the fees during development and reaping the profit after the game is released, they do it the other way around, sell the game and get the profit before it’s released and use that money for the development. The rest of the money goes into the same place as it would had they used the traditional means: business profit.

Oh yeah… Kickstarter confuses me with how backwards it is. How big is Sekai Project’s team anyway? They have multiple titles going at once so it can’t be that small.

They temporarily hire teams of translators for most of their different projects IIRC.

is there an official date for the clannad releasing?

I’m 100 percent ok with SP turning a good profit off something like this. Its my thought that maybe…just maybe the JP game devs will see there is not just a market but a ripe market for VN’s in the west and maybe we won’t have to wait years to see new games released, cause the wait for Angel Beats and Chaos Child will kill me.

1 Like

There’s a deadline. It will most certainly come out before or in October.

ok thanks!!! I’m currently reading clannad and I tought I might buy the official one before I finish all the routes , but if it’s deadline is in october, there’s no doubt I’ll buy it just to replay some routes!!!

Just got the weekly Sekai Project Forums digest/update email, and look at what was the only thing on there:

Great decision @Aspirety!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I totally stopped looking at their forums after a while :stuck_out_tongue: Sad that nobody is talking about it over there, though XD

A little Interview with Sekai Project from nichegamer.net

Sekai Project Interview—On the Dawn of the VN in the West, Localization, and More

http://nichegamer.net/2015/02/sekai-project-interview-on-the-dawn-of-the-vn-in-the-west-localization-and-more/

3 Likes

Interesting read especially regarding the localization industry!
Thought I’d pick this little bit specific to clannad:

I’ve always wondered about this…does Sekai have a team of inhouse translators they use or do they just source everything out to other translators, and a follow up to that I wonder if they ever reach out to the people who have already put out fan translations of the games.

IIRC they have the main “inhouse” staff who originally formed Sekai, and then they outsource for other works. Generally the big names will be done with a small-ish organized group, and then work with other groups to translate the smaller titles.

They do reach out to fan translators. I believe they spoke with Doki. They haven’t used many other already-made fan translations though, and the ones they did already belonged to Sekai Project members.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ve spoken to Doki.
They just need a few months for the reply.

4 Likes

Okay I lol’d IRL

Sekai Project has said how they got with Key/Visual Arts (great story tbh) https://www.patreon.com/posts/2953817

2 Likes