Rewrite - Terra Arc Discussion

An overall disappointing end to a phenomenal VN.

This route had some small good bits; Esaka being Esaka is always a treat, I liked how Imamiya finally was moderately useful after being a background character for the entire game, it was interesting to see how characters had such different lives in this alternate timeline, and it has some Sakuya which helps, but these are islands in a sea of mediocrity.

We already knew that KotarouKazamatsuri Bond wasn’t always his goofy self but it was jarring and disillusioning to see him so confidant at the beginning of the route, and even after he developed he was still pessimistic. We already saw him behave logically yet cruelly in Akane’s route so that’s not a surprise but when you don’t like the narrator any story is tough to read, and I could not bring myself to like this KotarouPochi.

And it was long. This route really should have been a brief footnote at the end of moon.

Hmm reading that entry again, that seems like it might just be valid but… Are you implying that the garden no longer exists during the time of Rewrite (say, while the heroines were still children)?

Im sorry, Im confused about what time you’re specifying? ^^; Like, the 5 heroine routes are actually taking place concurrently with Moon because they’re the simulations, yeah? And then the entirety of Terra exists explicitly after Moon (route), after the aurora left the Moon (celestial body).

Well, I was specifying the time of Terra… Well, more specifically, the time before Terra, where Kotarou still did not join guardian

Pretty sure where this will lead, but yes there is no significant amount of Aurora on the Moon during Terra route.

2 Likes

That scene got retconned in R+ btw. It’s still basically the same, but Sakuya’s involvement is cut. I guess Tanaka thought that plot hole was worth filling.

2 Likes

Hello! I recently finished Rewrite (the visual novel, not the manga version) and it’s quickly becoming my favorite Key series. But I had some questions about the plot that are really hindering my ability to enjoy Rewrite to the fullest. These questions pertain to very late game spoilers and should probably only be answered by people who beat the game already. Thanks a bunch!

[spoiler]1: I don’t get why there are two of Kagari. How did that happen? Are they completely separate or do they have a shared mind? Which one decides if Earth needs Salvation or not? Do both of them decide together? Do they interact with each other at all?

2: Why does Salvation occur? I understand what qualifies for good memories (IE all of humanity joining together to work towards new innovations/a new future), but what makes a world bad enough to need a Salvation? Does Kagari dislike having to resort to Salvation or not? In Moon she seemed blase about it, yet in Terra she was very reluctant.[/spoiler]

Thank you so much! I’d really appreciate it if you took the time to answer me, If not, I understand. One quick non-spoiler question: what’s the difference between the two Rewrite mangas, and is there anywhere I can read all of them online? Thanks a million!

Long live the Key empire!

1: I don’t get why there are two of Kagari. How did that happen? Are they completely separate or do they have a shared mind?

That’s pretty much up to your interpretation if they’re separate entities or not.

2: Why does Salvation occur? I understand what qualifies for good memories (IE all of humanity joining together to work towards new innovations/a new future), but what makes a world bad enough to need a Salvation? Does Kagari dislike having to resort to Salvation or not? In Moon she seemed blase about it, yet in Terra she was very reluctant.

Good memories is anything that leads to the survival and spread of Aurora(see the Moon topic for more information). Salvation is originally a fail safe but it consumes so much energy that it’s actually a bad thing for the Earth in the current situation. Therefore, any time Salvation is triggered means the Earth and humanity is doomed. Salvation is an automatic event that is triggered when the key fails to see any chances of good memories happening.

1 Like

I see, thanks for replying! So you’re saying that Kagari has no say in if Salvation occurs, it’s just a sort of reflex of the Earth that happens regardless of Kagari’s feelings. And about the two Kagaris thing, we don’t know very much about it. Is that about the gist of it?

1 Like

Yeah, Kagari or the key has no real choice in the matter of Salvation. It just makes calculations based on what it sees. Gaia abuses that by capturing the key and only showing it bad stuff. Kagari herself is made to be vague. Probably because it makes Tanaka’s job a lot easier.

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense. As for it being interpretation if they are separate Kagaris, they probably are, considering their personalities, views on Salvation, and ultimate ends (one becomes a tree on Earth, the other a sapling on the moon) are so different. Thanks for all your help! It’s really impressive how fast you responded to my post. This community is amazing!

Personalities

It’s shown that the Key’s mentality is heavily dependent on its experiences in life. If given the infinite knowledge Kagari displays during Moon, there’s a high chance they would all act the same as she does.

Views on Salvation

I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean

Ultimate ends

Kotarou is the one who turns into a tree. The environment in Moon is all an illusion/lower existence, so Kagari doesn’t necessarily have a corporeal form. It’s arguable that she was the plant the whole time. It seems like a very arbitrary thing to use as evidence.

I meant “views on salvation” as what I mentioned earlier, where Kagari is blase about worlds ending/salvation in Moon but desperately wants to prevent it in Terra. As for it being Kotarou who turns into a tree, thanks for clearing that up! I guess it really is meant to be purposefully ambiguous about the whole two of Kagari thing. Honestly, I wouldn’t have even realized that there were two if it wasn’t for Kotarou himself saying “did Kagari have a twin” at the end of the Moon route.

Blasé: indifferent to or bored with life - Dictionary.com

She works herself to utter exhaustion over an immeasurable amount of time so that life can continue existing. What are you talking about!?

…Good point. I was thinking more about her personality, but just because the personality was different I wasn’t thinking the goal was the same. Sorry.

The way I see it, Moon Kagari is an avatar of the moon, a devoid world that didn’t manage to produce any life, but still had enough Aurora to form a “consciousness” since it originally came from Earth.

At the end of Terra we see a cute little sapling on the moon. To me that implies that Moon Kagari is manifesting physically to be with Tree Kotarou.
Remember how in the anime, Terra Kagari started as such a sapling?

1 Like

[spoiler]Hey, that’s a really good point! And then that’d be why Kotarou’s tree is stretching out so far, and they say “as if it was trying to reach the moon,” at the end of Terra. It’d also explain why Kotarou wanted to go to the moon just after being summoned, as his tree already had that innate desire.

As for her being an avatar of the moon, that’d make a lot of sense with the whole twin thing, as the Kagari on earth is supposed to be “created” by the Earth itself. The moon and the Earth both have aura, so each produces a Kagari, the manifestation of aura. Makes sense. Still leaves their twin mental connection/relationship up in the air, but if as said above it’s vague and we don’t know, then oh well.[/spoiler]

Thanks for weighing in!

Heres how I see their relationship:
The Moon came from the Earth, so they’re twins, siblings.
The Moon is the little sister that was too small to support life, but she yearned for it.
And when Earth was failing, the Moon took Earth’s remaining Aurora, formed the moonscape, and worked to find a way to make Earth’s life thrive, so that part of her sister would forever survive. At the same time she felt jealousy for not being able to have life, and especially her experience with Kotarou made it difficult for her to return the aurora, but she still chose to do so. Because above all else, the Moon loves Earth, and wants life to continue forever.

It’s pretty beautiful.

4 Likes

[spoiler]I have to agree, that is pretty sweet. I think that makes the most sense too, as it figures in every loose line I was still wondering about. Kotarou himself mentioned Moon Kagari possibly being jealous of her twin, and he mentioned something about “returning all the aura to earth” or something like that.

Though if the aura for Moon Kagari to work with was so limited, does that mean that all the heroine routes of the game were all imagined scenarios of Kagari’s program? They never actually happened? Or is it like this instead:

1: Moon Kagari comes up with new idea
2: She uses the aura from her sister to shape a new history on Earth (like in Terra)
3: The history forms one of the routes of the heroines
4: The new history doesn’t work out, and salvation occurs
5: With the new aura from salvation, Kagari can try to shape a new history for Earth.
6: Repeat cycle

Does that sound about right with your theory?[/spoiler]

1 Like

It’s not explained, here are the possibilities:

1. They’re simulations and didn’t actually happen, Moon Kotarou just had the memories of said simulations…This is plausible but doesn’t explain how Kotarou could even exist or manifest in Moon if none of the routes happened.
  2. They’re alternate realities. All the events happened, and Moon Kagari was observing alternate realities, looking for the right path for our reality.
  3. They all happened, and with each failure, more Aurora runs out, making it crucial that they get it right as this is their last try. This is implied in Terra when Kagari says that re-evolution cannot occur again as Earth is running low on Aurora.

It could also be a combination of those.

2 Likes