Rewrite - Moon Arc Discussion

Lovely theory! Pretty much explains how I understood the entire Rewrite story. As for whether Sakuya and Kotarou are incarnations of aurora, I still have some doubt about it but it is a likely one. I think the sentence below says something about it too.

My thoughts on Sakuya and Kotarou (the Rewriters) is that they are superhuman who has the ability to manipulate the very essence that made them, i.e. lifeforce/aurora.

And something about Sakura, anyone knows how she found out what Kagari is doing? My understanding is that she is like the pinnacle of human intelligence or the human species to fully understand aurora and she realized in one of the world that she is in a simulation and somehow manage to break through the simulation (reminds me of the real-life question of “Are we living in a simulation?”). She probably found out Moon through Kotarou as stated below:

Yep, Oppai Ending was good, but it probably is a failed one too because the main point (Terra/Oppai Spoilers) [spoiler] is not about letting Earth survives because it will eventually dies when Sun uses up all its fuel, and all life will be wiped out. It is about letting intelligence life continues on, so intelligence life in Earth need to go out into space and find a way to live there or colonize other planets. Oppai route did mention about humanity building some sort of oppai spaceship to explore the universe, but it probably failed too, because, this is just my speculations, the technology to harness lifeforce/aurora is not understood enough or known to the public. In Terra, Kotarou Faction leaked out everything about Gaia and Guardian, which includes the technology to harness their own lifeforce/aurora. I think this is the key part in colonizing space?

Hey, maybe because Kagari just hate it so she kills off that branch XD [/spoiler]

2 Likes

Guys… I really think you should not consider Oppai route as something that affects the lore of Rewrite. Kagari herself wishes to deny the existence of that possibility, and I think we should all respect her wishes

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ridiculous Theories

It looks like I’m not really going to be unable to fully understand this route until I read Terra. But you know what everyone loves? Fanservice!

The fight scene near the end was cool, but some of the character’s deaths were kinda pathetic. Lucia, Yoshino, and Sakuya had pretty cool blaze of glory deaths but everyone else’s were pitiful. Kotori died when she was being a diversion which is honestly about as much as you could expect from her, and Akane’s I’m assuming was pretty similar although we never got to see it. I’m really glad I wasn’t a bigger fan of Shizuru or her death would have been even more pathetic than it already was. And Chihaya’s was just a joke.

Also, am I the only one who felt like Kotarou was kind of weak in this route? if he inherited power from all of the other timelines he should be a super-badass like he was at the end of Chihaya’s route but he doesn’t seem all that powerful.

If he inherited their powers then he also inherited their weaknesses. It might sound a little weird but to me it makes sense. The Kotarou of Akane’s route and Chihaya’s was pretty strong while in Lucia’s, Shizuru’s and Kotori’s, Kotarou was pretty damn weak. It’s like he’d be pretty confused in his strengh.

2 Likes

Wait a second… A new theory just came to mind for why Kotarou was on the Moon in the first place and that whole conversation with Kashima Sakura.

What if the reason he came to the moon and kept respawning on the moon was to get close to Kagari to kill her? Something like his instincts from his life on Earth screaming out his need to destroy The Key and save Earth…

1 Like

That sounds like the intro to a movie trailer…

He was the ultimate weapon…

Born to destroy…

His only weakness was his emotions

1 Like

Serious though. They make out the whole point of how in all the branch worlds, Kotarou was Kagari’s enemy (not entirely true but I guess for most of the branch worlds yeah). He was born into the Moon out of that desire, or perhaps fate is the right word here.

When Kashima Sakura appeared to stand in as Kagari’s enemy at first Kotarou was hesitant to stop her, but after destroying his hesitation Kotarou found a new purpose in protecting Kagari. From that point on, he couldn’t reconverge on Moon after dying, because the one thing that brought him there in the first place was no longer true.

I thought the same thing after seeing the second Moon/Terra anime episode. The VN only said something along the lines of that he had understood what exactly he is and therefore could not reconverge after dying anymore after declaring war on Kashima Sakura, but it was never explained properly.

I guess it kinda hammers in this idea of, in order to save the Earth, you have to defy your natural instincts and seek out a new path.

It also means that the Aurora had given its “children” a proper, specialized way of protecting themselves against one-sided annihilation. They hava a chance enforcing their right to live, even if it is against “greater good”. It must be a part of Aurora’s love.

What are you trying to answer: ‘Why is Kotarou on the Moon’ or ‘Why will he not regenerate after having a goal’?

Are those questions not fundamentally linked? I’m saying that losing the thing that brought him to the moon means he can’t reconverge anymore.

It’s easier for me if there’s a clearly defined inquiry. Everyone on the Moon is there because of a connection with Kagari. I like to think in terms on wave physics because it makes it easier to visualize. A being in a branch that achieves a connection with Kagari causes a reverberation. A single branch wouldn’t do anything, but if that being achieves a connection in all of them they resonate. The result is then an echo on the Moon the strength of which is defined by the strength of the connection. Echoes will remain and reform constantly as long as them remain echoes. For whatever reason Kotarou deduces that it’s likely that an echo that attains a purpose will lose it’s ability to reform. Note that he doesn’t say that it would be impossible for him to revive, but it would probably be too late for him to save Kagari afterwards. If you choose to see Kotarou’s connection to Kagari as simple destructive impulse, that’s up to you, but to me that seems ludicrous.

I personally never assumed that what brought Kotarou to moon was his personal desire.

Before, I believed that Kagari was the one who summoned Kotarou, because of many reasons including his power, his special position of kinda being between Gaia, Guardian and the Key, etc.

But after watching that episode, I believe that Kotarou was summoned to moon by the nature of aurora, or to be more precise, by his nature as “the rewriter”. Just like how the Key is summoned in order to pass judgement on humanity, the rewriter appears in order to destroy the Key and stop salvation from happening.

2 Likes

Why does Kotarou dream of his memories in the branch worlds everytime he dies?

I liked everything in this route but I felt the transition from the previous 5 heroine routes to moon wasn’t very clear. Also, I really liked the opening song for the route.

I think one theory was that every time he dies, he runs down one (or more) new simulations…But I don’t remember the grounds for that theory

haha very much so. I guess it’s meant to be clear only in hindsight

You can’t not like Rewrite of the Life!

1 Like

While there are a few theories I can get behind, I never thought it was too important, especially since the theories all generally share a similar sentiment.

The thing is it’s just an incredibly effective storytelling device. You get hints into what is happening placed at a certain time in the plot (his deaths) that does not feel disruptive to the story at all. This works a million times better than a flashback which can be conveniently placed at any time by the author to explain something he sucks at explaining through more natural means. Tanaka basically manages to explain a plot twist to the world of Rewrite but weaves the explanation itself into the plot in the form of an event where Kotarou doesn’t die even when killed but instead dreams of “something,” which then serves as a hint that directs the reader towards theories about what is really happening.

3 Likes

Yeah they way they did it is incredibly satisfying from a dramatic standpoint so the VN gets away with just handwaving that.