Rewrite - Kagari Character Discussion

You know, I don’t think Kagari has anything in common with fire. Above all else, Kagari is a kind, loving mother, and that doesn’t fit with fire. The symbolism of progress/growth is way more prevalent in the form of plants. Fire is never mentioned in Rewrite with the exception of Fuego. One amusing detail I found by researching her name is that apparently there’s a list of Kanji allowed to be used in names(Jinmeiyō kanji), and 篝 isn’t on this list. It could be that Kagari’s name is supposed to be outworldly because of that. It’s also similar to kagi, the word for key.

1 Like

Wait who was the one who named her in the game? I don’t remember her introducing herself… Did she? If not then that might be why. Please confirm those questions before I start going on about stuff that might not make sense

Thing is, I don’t remember her introducing herself either; but she did refer to herself as Creamy Kagarin in the Oppai route, this much I am sure of

ok so the point I’m making here is this: if Kagari was named by humans then it makes a lot of sense. Kagari’s name does not obey human regulation because she is treated as inhuman. Neither Guardian nor Gaia really cares, she’s just a tool. She might be seen as just a tool to burn the earth to the ground to the outsiders, but Kotarou knows her on a deeper level to see how she is like a kind, loving mother, as @HeliosAlpha pointed out.

1 Like

Most humans only identify her as the Key. Either Kagari is the one who separates herself from the previous incarnations, or the Druids gave her that name.

From Terra route:

2 Likes

She’s hard to define as a character since there is such a diversity between her different depictions. However it is true that, while she is portrayed as very funny and endearing at times, what I like best about her is the concept of being a pragmatic yet loving mother figure.

2 Likes

About the Kagaris…
I really liked the Moon Kagari, the one who even though was jealous of her Earth little sister, she earnestly wished to help her too, to the point of sending her first and only friend/beloved to die a dog’s dead, then waiting eons to watch humanity survival and the feels that Kotarou had to never forget her Moon version, to the point that the first thing he did after completing his mission was to go to the Moon.
Also their relationship in Moon was beautiful, Kotarou finally removing the mask that annoyed Yoshino, no Haruhiko, so much and that was the first step to communication, the one message that was repeated so much in common.
I also smiled watching their dance, even though they can’t communicate through words, they could through their bodies (wait this sounded a little wrong) and laughed a lot when I watched her get super shy when Kotarou tried to use numbers to communicate, that nerdy love confession and even Kotarou got super happy seeing that he managed to confess, let’s not talk about the three cup of coffee.
In summary, she even though was an alien existence, she also was a cute girl when she finally managed to connect with another sentient being, I thought that symbolized that one becomes a complete person only after connecting with others and that only becomes possible when one is honest with the other party and viceversa.
Now, the Terra Kagari, I didn’t think she managed to become a full person, in the first 5 routes, she was always treated as an object and nobody truly tried to understand her and in Terra, because Kotarou fell in love with her, he treated her as a person and that’s why she started to act as a human, but I don’t think that Kotarou managed to connect with her, because his love was in fact one meant to her older sister, the Moon Kagari and that’s why I felt that she was too empty compared to Moon Kagari, even though Terra Kagari talked more like a human, it felt to me that her personality was a little forced and her drastic 180° change at the ending wasn’t helping to change my opinion too.

And finally, Creamy☆Kagarin, best Kagari ever, well, joking aside, I feel like the complete version of the Terra Kagari would be very similar to her, seriously.

4 Likes

I don’t see the difference.

2 Likes

Terra kagari was a being desperate to find good memories without concern for the lives of other beings

Moom kagari was a curious being, (though often to the danger of kotarou) who toiled away to find the route to salvation.

At least that’s how I see them

1 Like

Those traits aren’t even mutually exclusive. Moon Kagari’s ultimate goal is also good memories in any form. I guess I can’t say that Terra doesn’t work has hard, but she doesn’t have near infinite time and knowledge at her disposal.

1 Like

While the ultimate goal isn’t exclusive, the way thwy go about it is different, and while earth kagari’s actions are justified, it doesn’t make me like her any more

How are their methods different? Kagari’s actions are based in simple pragmatism and the knowledge available.

Edit: Actually, it’s more accurate to say that Kagari doesn’t have a set methodology. The whole point of the garden is that she tried everything.

Refer to @Random_User. Rewrite goes out of its way to make Moon Kagari a likeable and endearing character, despite her alien nature. Terra Kagari, on the other hand, is a mere tool. The only time she expresses any kind of character is at the very end of Terra, where she takes on this motherly characteristic in welcoming Kotarou in her arms and congratulating him on his hard work. Still, one scene isn’t enough to compete with relationship that developed in the Moon route.

1 Like

They act differently, but their situations are also completely different; that doesn’t make them separate characters. Their actions can still be traced back to a single mindset. Every Kagari is part of a whole. For example, You wouldn’t expect the transcended being shown in Moon to do something silly as refer to herself with a -chan honorific. However, she still does it, and that part of her persona is only explored in Terra and the Oppai route of all things. We don’t separate other characters based on what roll and route they appeared in, so why this one?

1 Like

It was clearly stated in Rewrite that they’re not the same character and that they’re just twins. Even in the friends list in the game, if you checked it, there’s Kagari (Moon) and Kagari (Earth) instead of just Kagari. I mean, seriously, they’re completely different. I’d say that the few things in common between them is their looks, name and the fact that they’re not human and have this incredible power…

I understand what you’re saying, but I still don’t agree that they shouldn’t both be included in the sorter. The game does enough hard work to distinguish them, so we shouldn’t ignore that. Not many girls get two routes after all.

That’s like saying that two separate entities who have the same mindset deserve to be treated as the same characters, which I think many people would disagree with. Of course, the fact that they are both “kagari” definitely complicates things.

My argument for them being different stems from the fact that their personality is different, but you make a good point in that the same goes for, for example, Akane in Chihaya’s route, and Akane in her own route. But, depending on your own beliefs, all personalities are shaped by experiences, and the fact that earth kagari and moon kagari have experienced different things makes them, naturally, have differing personalities.

Thus the argument for differing personalities no longer stands. In that case, how do you define the separation between characters? Through their existence? Through their names and faces? We might even start going into deep philosophical discourse just to decide on whether or not Earth Kagari and Moon Kagari are the same “character”

Ouch.
I think a lot of identical twins would be seriously offended by this discussion. This isn’t a matter of different personalities, Moon and Terra are different beings.

3 Likes

I found the meaning with her name reading Rewrite+.

The flame and torch in this monologue was originally written as 篝火

Here’s that line in R+

We also see that they added a tiny flame in the background.
So Kagari’s name is in reference to a guiding light.
Edit: Note also that, in Terra, your choices are guided by a fire.

4 Likes

That’s a really cool realisation :o