Rewrite - Kagari Character Discussion

I actually like Kagari’s personality. She is my second favorite girl from Rewrite, just behind Lucia.

And I also liked her romance with Kotarou in Moon, but not in Terra. Terra’s romance didn’t really feel as romance at all for me. And what enraged me the most is that she was constantly repeating : “Good memories must not be sad.” This made me really curious of what good memories were, and in the end it was sooo simple and uninteresting…

Never forget

The Moon route was really damn good, Moon was a really interesting character in that, Terra was a bit lacking, but that was to be expected I guess, with her being not as “advanced”

Also, little side note, have to say that the Kagari’s did remind me of the Type’s in the TM universe, and yet there’s a strange lack of crossovers, needs more Kagari/Arcueid or Kagari/Crimson Moon!

1 Like

Kagari, huh?
I’m really not sure if I’ll be able to write down everything right away, for once as I still have other stuff to do today as well as for the fact I probably forget a lot. But hey, I can edit.

So Kagari.
I dunno, for the main heroine routes it just seemed to me like she was a doll, somewhat of an empty shell. Seeing as that was what she kinda was, the whole judging humanity thingy and what not. But still. Somehow it seemed for me like she kinda really wanted humanity to live on, searching so desperately for happy memories.

Moon Kagari on the other hand seemed more like an antisocial princess, cut away from any influences of the world, to me. Maybe also something like a god, knowing nothing about interaction with other life (like when she killed Kotarou over and over in the beginning of Moon).
But Slowly but surely, she came to appreciate Kotarou’s presence. I dunno, I feel towards Moon Kagari as a lonely supernatural being, that I somehow share a bond with though I can’t really say how.

Finally, Terra Kagari.
To be completely honest, I remember next to nothing about her. Apart from her learning and dislearning (is that even a word) language and other stuff. And in the end, she acted somewhat like a mother being proud of her son. (which kinda is what this situation was? I dunno, lol)

Oh, one final thing guys:
It’s Creamy☆Kagarin.
All of you guys should really appreaciate the Moe-star more.

3 Likes

I liked Kagari. I feel like Key went the opposite direction with Rewrite though, considering Itaru did the storyline. In this, love actually plays a big part in each heroines route, and at the end, the main heroine, there’s basically not a lot of love that developed during the other story lines. I found that as the most significant thing about Rewrite. I liked how it was formatted. Though I do wish that there was another route to show some KagarixKotarou love, going more in depth, but I understand it wouldn’t work well since she’s an emotionless creature. Isn’t Kagari, “Key’s” face ? Since she is “The key” ? Kagari being the end girl is something I don’t mind, but too bad all the characters thought of her as an evil creature. I’m just wondering something that can possibly go into the Terra forum but it has to do with Kagari too. Phew did Kotarou and Kagari fall in love ? I didn’t like the Terra route, since, it tells how Kotarou is a dozen years older than the rest of the heroine’s, but how’d they fall in love ? I just remembered reading the last bits of Terra.

Kagari’s HF route, maybe?

Yeah, since I saw CG’s with her in the uniform. Plus, she has a route in there. But harvest festa is a fan disc. I heard that only Chihaya’s route is canon.

This is Rewrite, everything and nothing outside of Terra is canon.

If you mean that it’s a continuation of her route in rewrite though, Chihaya isn’t the only route that does this. Kotori’s HF route continues on from her Rewrite route’s ending, and Lucia’s HF route continues on from the halfway point of her Rewrite route.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for a Creamy☆Kagarin spinoff.
If there will ever be a Rewrite anime, I really hope she will get her own OVA.

12 Likes

YUS, we need the character and relationship development. They should just do Kagari’s harvest festa route as a total of 4-5 ova’s to show character development.

It’s not often I get to say this, but there is not enough source material for that. More than 2 episodes would get really drawn out.

Have you played Harvest festa ? She actually gets a route.

1 Like

Yes and yes. I could do with a re-read of Kagari’s scenario though, it’s been over a year.

Ok so

Oppai Kagari(Creamy Kagarin) > Moon Kagari > Trash > Earth Kagari.

What about you people? How would you compare Kagari’s? Are you a fan of hardworking Moon Moe or SCREAMING BLACK SQUARES boring Earth.

1 Like

I don’t know Creamy Kagarin, just Creamy☆Kagarin, but otherwise I agree, yes.

3 Likes

I just thought of something interesting.

Kagari’s name came from the Japanese word for bonfire (kagaribi). It seems to highlight two things about her character:

1. A bonfire that is made to burn stuff. A disposal, something like that. Kagari’s existence meant that humanity will end, in a sense, “burning them to the ground.”
  2. Fire itself as a symbolism. I thought this webpage has a lot of things to say about it. In particular, its symbol in alchemy is:

upward mobility, forward motion, rising flames and aspirations to solar embodiment (in both literal and philosophical senses). To move into the energy of fire is to be utterly consumed, transformed and lifted out of limitation

And that says a lot of Kagari and Terra’s message, in hindsight.

On a side note, let’s give some love for Earth Kagari. I have a lot of things to say about her (I thought I might want to share it if there’s going to be a bookclub

I’m looking forward on her portrayal in the anime though.

EDIT: just figured that “Kagari” can also stand for “bonfire” itself. ^^;

2 Likes

I’m glad that someone else got the right message out of Terra. Or at least the same one that I got :kurumu:

But yes, now that you mention it, her name 篝, actually does mean bonfire (well, that or iron basket).

It will be a long time away until we start a Rewrite bookclub, so feel free to share your thoughts as early as now!

2 Likes

You know, I don’t think Kagari has anything in common with fire. Above all else, Kagari is a kind, loving mother, and that doesn’t fit with fire. The symbolism of progress/growth is way more prevalent in the form of plants. Fire is never mentioned in Rewrite with the exception of Fuego. One amusing detail I found by researching her name is that apparently there’s a list of Kanji allowed to be used in names(Jinmeiyō kanji), and 篝 isn’t on this list. It could be that Kagari’s name is supposed to be outworldly because of that. It’s also similar to kagi, the word for key.

1 Like

Wait who was the one who named her in the game? I don’t remember her introducing herself… Did she? If not then that might be why. Please confirm those questions before I start going on about stuff that might not make sense

Thing is, I don’t remember her introducing herself either; but she did refer to herself as Creamy Kagarin in the Oppai route, this much I am sure of

ok so the point I’m making here is this: if Kagari was named by humans then it makes a lot of sense. Kagari’s name does not obey human regulation because she is treated as inhuman. Neither Guardian nor Gaia really cares, she’s just a tool. She might be seen as just a tool to burn the earth to the ground to the outsiders, but Kotarou knows her on a deeper level to see how she is like a kind, loving mother, as @HeliosAlpha pointed out.

1 Like