Rewrite Harvest festa! - Kotori Route Discussion

Discussion topic for what is probably the most romantic route in the entire series, Kotori Kanbe’s route in Rewrite Harvest festa! Everything from Rewrite and from this route can be discussed without spoiler tags, but make sure to reference any information from other routes and other series with the appropriate [spoiler] tag.

How would you rate this route?

0 voters

I absolutely loved this route, although part of it might just be me shipping Kotarou and Kotori heavily. However, what remains true in this route is the interactions between Kotarou and Kotori; they are exactly what you’d expect them to be, and that’s what makes it a joy to read! Right from the heavy awkwardness in the beginning of the route, down to the very natural relationship the two end up having by the end, it just felt so good. Despite being bittersweet over the lack of all the other characters, the ending highly makes up for it, with them knowing that life goes on for everybody, and despite everything that has happened, their relationship with everyone else was not something that could be easily pushed aside.

This scenario is the reason why I, and probably many others, read Harvest Festa in the first place. And, I got everything I wanted out of the story. Actually seeing a son/daughter would have been wonderful, but it’s not something I lose sleep over. It’s been a while now, but I remember the awkward first part being a bit long; and, then it culminates in the greatest scene in HF. The chase into confession scene is so awesome. It’s super funny and it’s got tons of emotions; everything in their lives really led to that one moment, and I feel that in how chaotic it is. The music also switches perfectly.
After that it’s easy sailing to the end, as it should be. We just have Kotori being adorable, and Kotarou being a smooth motherfucker. This scenario is the definition of cathartic; everything from the first game gets resolved, and we take every checkpoint for Kotarou and Kotoris’ relationship. However, there is that tiny sprinkle of bitterness on the top, as we know that the occult club is very unlikely to ever get reunited. That’s a good thing though, as it creates balance between emotions–something I think the first route severely lacks.
On a less serious note, my favorite funny moment in the story is when Kotori tries to act like she won’t get flustered by Kotarou’s flatter. She says she’ll just respond with a cold attitude, and she sounds so much like Senjogahara, I love it. Saito Chiwa is so fucking amazing.
http://puu.sh/kD67F.ogg
z1000_004179

1 Like

I was wondering for some time if I even should write this post as Helios and Pepe have already said pretty much everything.

If anything, Kotori’s original rotue in Rewrite is great. I love it. I liked the conversations between characters, when I first read it the heavy atmosphere of her route got me rather heavily… but it ended uncoclusively.
Kotarou going somewhere under sakura trees may be cool and all, but too plain. Besides… They didn’t really sorted out their own feelings in the oroginal novel… thats probably also one of the reasons, why I’ve felt Kotori being somewhere near in pretty much every other route, even if she wasn’t directly reffered to.

In Harvest festa! I’ve got what I’ve wished for… The conclusion.
Even a 1st joke end wasn’t bad, I liked it. I laughed at it. It felt somewhat natural, though… not what I was expecting.
And then, the 2nd and real (true) end of her arc.
The determination and expectations of Kotarou, as he goes from the hospital to Kotori’s home. The struggle (being represented mostly in a joking manner, yet feeling real). Also, that Hanada Michiko appearance in the actual story :smiley:
Then it all went into total awkwardness. It was a really somber part. Kotarou being timid, restless, and Kotori’s fear of change. They felt so natural that it was astonishing.
…and then that confession scene. Kotarou running through Kazamatsuri, trying to catch Kotori. With each scene getting closer to her, and his own real self. Anguishing, trying not to give up… Failing and yet ultimately succeeding.
Emotions in this route are coming at you in enormous waves. They just come in to assault you and sway away into the sea of feelings. Am I being poetic? Or, actually, being bad at English here. Well.
From the confession scene it goes all meek and warm.
Finally you see that KotaKoto managed to get out of the shell of their utterly wrecked relationship, that haunted them in the original novel.
And it would be bad to not mention Yoshino here… The real MVP of this route. The Man among men. I found the “fighting” scene between Kotarou and Yoshino in the original novel (the one, that took place in slums) to be boring and unnecessary… But this card duel in the HF actually felt grand in all of its ridiculousness. 10 Yoshino out of 10.
Ending scenes of this short story were extremely rewarding as well.
Not only did they climax in KotaKoto relations actually getting a complete shape, but they gave a shiny glimpse on Oka-ken. Not entirely, but they were really hopeful. All those presents, which are easy to deduce who sent what. That was moving.