Rewrite Anime - Episode 21 “Reunion”

I enjoyed this episode, Koutarou infiltrating in Gaia… this will be interesting :shock:

I absolutely love Kotarou’s voice actor. It comes out more in Terra because he’s alone, and thus left to his thoughts more. He’s so good at conveying realistic anger and frustration when the people he cares for are in danger. Kotarou’s character development was one of my favourite things about Terra in the VN, especially after he returns to Kazamatsuri and has a more matured mindset.

While this episode in particular was far from incredible, it has brought Kotarou’s character to the best point in the series. Looking forward to the next (albeit few) episodes so that we can see more of this Kotarou.

5 Likes

I’ll just screenshot my thoughts as I said on Discord:

I thought the pacing was fine, though.

For this week’s episode staff, the storyboard is done by a certain Daisuke Eguchi. He has directed individual episodes in the series, but this is his first time storyboarding here. What I noticed is that there’s a lot of Dutch angles.

And then there’s this angle lol.

And I like this bokeh effect. Just because. :))

3 Likes

I like how unapologetic they are about having Kotarou constantly narrate shit. Sure there may be better ways of handling it, but I like it just fine this way.

Good episode. Not quite as good as last week’s, but this is turning out pretty great overall.

1 Like

Rushed, but still good. Kotori’s expression in the last bit killed me.

btw that guy with flickering eye in the op is Oonishi after all huh. I always wonder about who that guy is

[spoiler] YOOOOO DID RIKI JUST JOIN GAIA???!!

[/spoiler]

7 Likes

I felt bit rushed, but this episode well summarized the long story and other details were fair. Especially, Kotarou’s acting as Gaia was nice. I am bit worried about whether they can finish the contents remain only in three episodes. I suppose they will omit one battle in forest in which Oonishi is killed by Kotarou with knife because the man on the helicopter in OP was Oonishi and in the VN, the person was blond foreigner. But this scene contains implied figtht with Imamiya (by his trap) ,which they won’t cut out so they may just integrate two combats into one.

1 Like

What I love about Rewrite, Terra in particular, is how brutally realistic it is. You have a divine being asking you to help her save the world. But rather than a noble conquest filled with epic battles and drama, it’s crushingly pragmatic. Kotarou must spend the next few years of his life sowing the seeds of Discord and manipulating people to achieve his goals. Yet we have Kagari who knows nothing of the world scolding him for his indirect and methods, insisting he work faster. Not that anyone can blame her when she’s placing her hopes for humanity on such an unknown factor and patiently waiting for results, but it really hammers in how thankless Kotarou’s sacrifices are. It seems his only ally in the world is Jasmine at this point, but he doesn’t have the time or strength to indulge in her kindness anyway.

Terra is incredibly frustrating to experience. But that’s the point. Life isn’t easy, and we shouldn’t take such a grand mission as “saving the world” lightly. It takes an incredible degree of effort, time, and self-sacrifice. It’s Romeo’s big “fuck you” to Anime and Game tropes.

7 Likes

Another episode, another round of complicated feelings.
It felt more rushed than a previous one and I thought that they made the whole Gaia infiltration episode too short, but, still, main points were conveyed… and there is no way they could have put more time in telling this part, considering that only a few eps are left in the series.
Seiyuu’s work is as wonderful as ever…
Kotori… Well, you know. Scenes with her are kind of special.
Yasmine’ English was so overwhelmingly incredible, that I’ve burst in laughing.

It’s Jasmine dammit

1st of all, her name is written 「ヤスミン」 in Japanese which can refer to both names, Yasmine & Jasmine. There is also a 「ジャスミン」 in Japanese, which mostly refers to a flower name.
Yasmine is an Arabic name… and we have no real confirmation of where Terra’ events happen, but it can easily be an East-African or Arabic country, anything near the Persian Gulf, basically.
I hope I don’t have to explain any further? “Jasmine” is derived from Arabic word/name “Yasmin”, which also has a female form pronounced as “Yasmine”.
So, yeah. Dammit.

7 Likes

Yet her name is clearly spelled ‘Jasmine2015’ in the chat :s

And my name on this forum and on many chats is Khsellhu. Does that mean that this is my real name?
This topic is meaningless.
You may call her “Jasmine” if you want, but that doesn’t mean that everyone would and should do so.
Rather than sticking to a nickname, I would prefer to go with the way they transcribe & pronounce her name. And that is 「ヤスミン」.

2 Likes

Speaking of the chat that is some quality Engrish that showed up.

On the topic of Yasmine/Jasmine the anime would be the first official English release of Rewrite, right? The official translators need to have approval from the creators, with anime I’m not totally sure who exactly has to approve it but someone important did approve her name being Yasmine. I guess we’ll find out for sure when Rewrite+ releases on Steam since that is going to be approved by VA directly.

3 Likes

I don’t know, but the English chat in the anime clearly calls “mamono” as “familiars,” yet the subtitles still refer to it as “monsters.”

Considering that there is a clear analog for “familiar” in Japanese and that is not “mamono”, but “tsukaima”, while “mamono” literally means “evil thing/spawn”, “demon”, “monster”, and so on… You should think twice or thrice of the context implied in that “mamono” before just simply translating it into “familiar”.

2 Likes

Are we not gonna talk about how totally-not-japanese names such as Midou, Tenshin and Tenma ended up all the way over there? :shock:

2 Likes

Plot twist: their parents are actually weeaboos

4 Likes

Adding to what @Khsellhu said, whoever wrote that chat clearly didn’t have the best grasp of the English language.

I’m from an Arab country and I do agree that Yasmine feels more correct than Jasmine. But I’d just like to point out a bit of mistake regarding the female form… Yasmine = Yasmin that e makes no difference as they’re both pronounced the same way as “ياسمين” the female form in arabic is “ياسمينة” which is pronounced as a word on its own as Yasmina or Yasminato… if it’s in a sentence, it might become Yasminato, Yasminati, Yasminata or even Yasminaten, Yasminaton, Yasminatin depending on the word’s position in a sentence… Things are different in Arabic as there don’t exist syllables but rather a letter’s “movement” and the movement of a last letter in every word depends on its position in a sentence… Well, let’s just say it’s Yasmina.

About, the chat username, I can imagine Yasmine whoes name in Arabic also means the flower using the English translation of her name which is Jasmine. For example, if her name was Imen (which means ‘faith’) she would’ve used Faith as a username… Kinda get it?

Haha, unfortunately, there’s no way for that to happen… In Arabic countries, you can’t name someone with a name that isn’t Arabic or Muslim only in a few cases (Uuu I can’t give my children weeb names)…
I imagine that those three aren’t originately from there as Midou has blond hair which is REALLY rare in middle east countries.

And that is of course supposing they’re from an Arab country. By the way, isn’t this getting too out of topic?

7 Likes