Rewrite Anime - Episode 2 "The Place Where Youth Begins"

That ED was beautiful.

I’m enjoying the adaption so far. I’ve gotten over their decision to not adapt the routes (VN) although the ED still gives me hope and am looking forward to what they plan to do.

(VN) That foreshadowing at the end though. H O P E B O Y Z

I feel, after fully accepting the small inconsistencies that the first episode had, I was able to relax and fully enjoy the ride the second episode offered. This episode is faster-paced since there’s less time allotted, but it felt more like the Rewrite episode I wanted from the beginning. I didn’t mind the increased speed of recruitment of the club members, and I think I’m not alone when I say that the scene with Tomoko was great. (Why did she have to die~?! ;; )

Speaking of which, I also like the scenes they gave Kagari in this episode. They don’t make her as ominous and threatening as she initially is in the VN, choosing instead to set up her character like they did in the first episode. I certainly approve of this, and I can’t wait to see what this development leads to in future episodes.

Not much else to say, really. Can’t wait for episode 3! :smiley:

I’m quite enjoying the adaptation so far. The first two episodes bas been super rushed expecially with the instant occult club recruitment, but its still a really good watch. This episode was a lot of fun, it kept me laughing throughout the whole episode. I can definitly see a 2nd season coming along and an oppai ova. I really hope though that they don’t rush to the main plot too quickly though.

I’m really not feeling this one.

The pacing is far too fast and the complete lack of focus and decent transitioning is not only making the characters seem incredibly generic and tropey, but it’s also kind of killing the comedy for me. The only scene that got so much as a snicker out of me was the scene where Kotarou was directing what Shizuru would say over the phone. I remember my sides splitting with laughter during Yoshino’s scenes in the VN, and here they don’t even so much as slightly amuse me…

In particular, I feel like Akane and Kotori have already lost a LOT of character complexity compared to the VN. Both characters are giving me an entirely different feel from what I expected, and I feel like key aspects of their personality are just being drowned out by the rapid transitioning and pace of the anime.

I’ll probably keep watching, but I’m seriously getting cold feet.

EDIT: On the other hand, Shizuru is basically single handedly carrying all the good moments of this anime for me atm. She was already my favorite in the VN (especially during the common route), but I feel like the anime is nailing her scenes and dialogue pretty well for the most part.

2 Likes

This episode was pretty fun with all the gags. I like it. (VN common route) Looks like they haven’t revealed the rewriting powers yet, which is strange.

The impression I’m getting is that they’re just getting the introductions out of the way so that they can focus on interactions for the following episodes. I won’t be surprised if the common route goes a bit longer than what the first two episodes suggests.

(On a side note, they didn’t put the uhun~ part of Shizuru’s lines :(( )

The OP is amazing, and I get feels when Kotarou had that somber expression at the end of the OP. The gears at the end were something I totally predicted. I must be a psychic. XD (the camera panned vertically to the gears in how I imagined it, but it’s still the gearssss) Meanwhile, the ED was something I totally loved. Some people seemed to have not liked it, but I’m just generally fond of Ryouma Ebata’s animation. So I loved it~

2 Likes

It think it isn’t really that strange. bringing in the powers right now, will cause even more damage than the already really fast pacing has done. Though I guess hints should be fine like they did in the VN but, that mostly happened during the grey city event iirc. I guess they are going to take the chance to introduce other characters as well, like Imamiya, along the dogs and reveal a bit more n his powers. As far as what the anime told us was only that Kotarou had something to do with superpowers during that scene with Akane. I just hope more casual, laid back viewers haven’t forgotten that(with events being cramped up one after the other ^^") Cause that was the only hint-ish thing I can see so far…

I feel you bruh… they cut off too much on Shizuru if you ask me the scene where Kotarou was “reading” her mind… I so wanted that :(( …
or is it just me??

2 Likes

About ep 2…the pacing is still very fast…the transition between some scenes happen too quick and as the result they has less impact than the VN…i think this is to be expected since the common route is very long(i think It can even make a season of anime worth on it own) but you only have 13 eps and you don’t want to cut down as much as possible from the VN while adding original content leading to the new route.Yup… this is what happen… some sacrifices must be made and i do hope those sacrifices will pay off when the actual plot starting though.As for the OP /ED…welI…i don’t have any major problem with them so they’re good enough i guess.

https://gfycat.com/GreedyImpracticalBeardedcollie
This makes my dick rock hard [SLURPING NOISES]. If the actual show could make scene transitions half this good, it would be a masterpiece. I have a lot more to say about to say about the OP and ED, but it would be a pain to write and a lot of spoilers. They’re both great!

Let’s get to complaining because that’s fun. In an episode so jam-packed with shit, I can’t believe that they wasted 428 frames(17,8 sec) on absolutely nothing. I’m talking about Nishikujo hugging Shizuru. That scene is supposed to be an introduction to Nishikujo’s character, but now it’s just another scene showing her as the ditsy teacher. We also already saw her attacking Shiuru in the OP. Those frames could have been used anywhere else like explain how Kotarou got Shizuru to join the club.
Scene transitions being awful is a rapidly dying horse, but I have to mention one.

Chihaya: I have know Akane-san from before.
(Fade to a barely clothed Akane.)
What kind of relationship do they have!!??

This blocking is also plain stupid. Why would you capture Shizuru in right profile? It’s not even a hard problem to solve: just put the person she’s talking to on her left side instead.

Speculative stuff

Tenshou pretty much confirmed Sakuya and Esaka https://twitter.com/tensho_tw/status/751846149636567040

I’m certain they will have some big reveal next episode; Kotarou’s “accelerator” is a good candidate. I really want Chibi because it places more suspicion on Kotori along with the face she made this episode while looking at Kagari. Maybe if Ep 3 is like character introductions for the A part then the B part becomes City of Stone with rewriting and Chibi. After they get out, they finish by introducing Kotori as Chibi owner.

I went over the OP and ED in video because it’s easier. Quality is pretty garbage fyi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wqK_Dit00(VN spoilers)

3 Likes

I quite liked the screenplay in Akane’s scenes. The camera always shows us which part of the bewitching senpai Kotarou is looking at.
When Akane revealed her face, Kotarou’s mouth might not have said “Wow, she’s a looker!”, but his eyes sure did!

2 Likes

It has been 59 seconds since I started watching the episode and in that time there has been two awkward F A K E A S F U C K fades to black that has caused Akane’s cloak to disappear and then reappear on her to remove it.

Like how can you guys justify such a half arsed clearly patched together mess.
…shit that makes it a perfect adaptation of Rewrite actually.

9 Likes

Probably because most of dont flip out about stupid insignificant shit like you do /shrug

Haha oh my god I almost forgot about this. Seriously, wtf is up with those cuts.

Now listen here you little shit.

No part of this is stupid and insignificant, this details a complete lack of respect for the work being created, there is no effort put into checking it’s correct for release when something so hugely blatant can slip though on one of the episodes they should BE putting extra effort into avoiding this shit to help draw people in for the long run.

If they can’t even be bothered to iron out stuff like this they clearly don’t give a shit how the anime will pan out and it all but confirms that this is a cheap buck with zero effort from the people involved. How people can seriously analyse and watch something respectfully that doesn’t respect itself is laughable. The show deserves as much attention and respect as a generic light novel adaptation at this point, opinions on the VN aside, this adaptation is clearly a completely unsalvageable mess and will ultimately simply be a failure at being any meaningful entertainment.

6 Likes

Sorry not all of us have such amazing extrapolating skills as you do, Kanon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This was a problem in episode 1 too, like… while it was only approximately 2 frames or so (I posted a picture of it in the thread), there was a part where Kotori brings her fingers together and her left hand index finger colour changes to the colour of her hair for a split second.

It’s as if someone was using the fill tool and didn’t notice the finger has been changed to the hair colour…
And it seems nobody edited it out before airing the episode.

I didn’t actually notice the scene you were talking about but now that you mention it, looking back through it does seem clumsy. Worrying considering its this early on indeed, I don’t usually pick up on these things, but it sticks out so much once you see it, that it’s hard to un-see it.

4 Likes

Heya, posting something here after a long time, which I shouldn’t cuz I still have a 2 tests more but I am at my limit with my almost 6 month ban.
It’s so nice to see a forum where the 99% aren’t insulting the anime version.
In my opinion, it’s not that bad if close my eyes at some animations (Touka and Shizuru scene was like what!?) and the opening was just like I wanted, philosphyz yay! and seeing Kotarou getting dismembered animated was like double yay!
But my greatest doubt is why the ghost girl wanted to hold Kotarou from behind at the last scene, maybe it’s connected to Moon.

1 Like

I was a little late watching episode 2, so I apologize for that. Anyway, TOMOKO is one of the cutest shikigami ever and who would have thought she was blonde too. Why did you have to die, TOMOKO?!! :sob: Anyway, to get back on track, I really enjoyed this episode and watching the OP with Philosophyz anime ver. was purely fantastic in showing the character interactions so far with everyone. There were some parts I couldn’t help but laugh, such as Kotarou messing around with Akane in wanting to fondle her breasts, or the part where Lucia was eating the spicy parfait which Kotarou was going to give to Yoshino in the first place was absolutely funny. Also, the way Shizuru was sitting in the shade where Kotarou was watching her and enjoying the nice breeze was one of the most treasured parts I loved in the VN and how they adapted that scene. I’m not sure how Kagari was even remotely terrifying though it took away some of the tension that I felt even after the VN, but that’s beside the point.

I have to agree that the pacing of the episode did feel rushed a bit, probably due to time constraints and the frames they needed to have cut. It was almost too early for everyone to gather and join the occult research club at that time but I guess they need to condense some of the time that the common route had and for those getting into the anime for the first time to understand. I have to say I absolutely loved the ED “Sasayaka na Hajimari”, though I never played HF and it was the first time I actually listened to this. I did listened to the original track beforehand and I was amazed just hearing the nice vocals. Overall, this was an enjoyable episode and I look forward to episode 3. :smile:

1 Like

I did hear somewhere that poor animation is usually caused by schedules so tight that animators lack time to check back and see if they screwed up with the animation. Checking back to see a newly-made artwork is especially important for artists, as most of the time there are errors that are unnoticeable during the drawing process. That or even if they have the time to check back, they don’t have enough time to correct it.

But most of the time they’re hardly noticeable at first glance unless you actively observe the animation. And since the anime is made for TV medium, where you’re unlikely to watch it more than once, it’s fine. Admittedly there were blatantly noticeable derp shots (the Lucia cafeteria scene… like you derp on close-up shots why), but those usually get fixed when released in Blu-ray.

The only major complaint that I have in this episode is the awkward transitioning, which is forgivable for the most part except the transition between scene where Chihaya just introduced herself in the Occult club and the sudden Akane fanservice shot was, well, jarring.

Otherwise, the episode is pretty okay, and it seems like they’re just putting introductions out of the way as of yet.

(Not like I’m against criticisms, but I wouldn’t really say that someone doesn’t care about what they’re doing when they’re creating something, because hearing those words when you’re actually working hard for it, even if it ended up turning into a mess, seriously hurts. This is also why I will never call animators lazy even if the animation was bad – most of the time they’re doing such difficult job with little pay. Also, I wouldn’t say for sure, but Tensho seems really eager to do this project.)

4 Likes

After reading episode 1’s discussion, this discussion, and watching both episodes (although 2 only in japanese), I think I have come to one single conclusion:

Essentially. I did not notice any of the animation bugs (well I don’t notice that in general for any other anime) but when you guys point it out, it does seem pretty obvious. I also did not notice all the scene skipping issues; maybe because I still have the mindset of a VN reader, who is just waiting for scene after scene and doesn’t need this to be made into a cohesive manner. Heck, I think I can’t even say whether or not I think this anime is cohesive because I know the whole story. I can only theorize whether or not I thought it would be cohesive for anime-only viewers and I will refrain from giving my opinion.

I won’t even theorize as to where this anime is planning to head towards. I’m just going to sit here and enjoy the ride, and boy what a fun ride it is.

There is one thing I would like to point out though, and that is the implication of certain direction choices and not how they affect the anime, but how they affect Rewrite as a whole. So after Kotarou gets the whole occult club together, we are shown Kagari reaching out to Kotarou, but because he is going towards the other members, she misses grabbing him. That is a pretty interesting implication, because it is saying that “Kotarou spending his youth with others takes him away from what Kagari needs from him.” Well, it’s hard for those who have not read the VN to figure out exactly why Kagari needs Kotarou but… It does kind of imply that (terra spoilers)by Kotarou spending time with the occult club, he goes farther and farther away from Kagari’s ideal plan to obtain good memories. Of course, this is earth Kagari that we see in the anime but… who’s to say that it isn’t moon kagari who was trying to grasp him?

It’s an interesting little tidbit that kind of solidifies various thoughts many people have had about the VN. I figure this was one purpose of the anime, but I just hope it doesn’t bring the anime’s credibility down when they end up not explaining it.

8 Likes

I NOTICED THIS TOO but didn’t really give it much attention. It’s Akane.

1 Like