Rewrite Anime - Episode 2 "The Place Where Youth Begins"

I did hear somewhere that poor animation is usually caused by schedules so tight that animators lack time to check back and see if they screwed up with the animation. Checking back to see a newly-made artwork is especially important for artists, as most of the time there are errors that are unnoticeable during the drawing process. That or even if they have the time to check back, they don’t have enough time to correct it.

But most of the time they’re hardly noticeable at first glance unless you actively observe the animation. And since the anime is made for TV medium, where you’re unlikely to watch it more than once, it’s fine. Admittedly there were blatantly noticeable derp shots (the Lucia cafeteria scene… like you derp on close-up shots why), but those usually get fixed when released in Blu-ray.

The only major complaint that I have in this episode is the awkward transitioning, which is forgivable for the most part except the transition between scene where Chihaya just introduced herself in the Occult club and the sudden Akane fanservice shot was, well, jarring.

Otherwise, the episode is pretty okay, and it seems like they’re just putting introductions out of the way as of yet.

(Not like I’m against criticisms, but I wouldn’t really say that someone doesn’t care about what they’re doing when they’re creating something, because hearing those words when you’re actually working hard for it, even if it ended up turning into a mess, seriously hurts. This is also why I will never call animators lazy even if the animation was bad – most of the time they’re doing such difficult job with little pay. Also, I wouldn’t say for sure, but Tensho seems really eager to do this project.)

4 Likes

After reading episode 1’s discussion, this discussion, and watching both episodes (although 2 only in japanese), I think I have come to one single conclusion:

Essentially. I did not notice any of the animation bugs (well I don’t notice that in general for any other anime) but when you guys point it out, it does seem pretty obvious. I also did not notice all the scene skipping issues; maybe because I still have the mindset of a VN reader, who is just waiting for scene after scene and doesn’t need this to be made into a cohesive manner. Heck, I think I can’t even say whether or not I think this anime is cohesive because I know the whole story. I can only theorize whether or not I thought it would be cohesive for anime-only viewers and I will refrain from giving my opinion.

I won’t even theorize as to where this anime is planning to head towards. I’m just going to sit here and enjoy the ride, and boy what a fun ride it is.

There is one thing I would like to point out though, and that is the implication of certain direction choices and not how they affect the anime, but how they affect Rewrite as a whole. So after Kotarou gets the whole occult club together, we are shown Kagari reaching out to Kotarou, but because he is going towards the other members, she misses grabbing him. That is a pretty interesting implication, because it is saying that “Kotarou spending his youth with others takes him away from what Kagari needs from him.” Well, it’s hard for those who have not read the VN to figure out exactly why Kagari needs Kotarou but… It does kind of imply that (terra spoilers)by Kotarou spending time with the occult club, he goes farther and farther away from Kagari’s ideal plan to obtain good memories. Of course, this is earth Kagari that we see in the anime but… who’s to say that it isn’t moon kagari who was trying to grasp him?

It’s an interesting little tidbit that kind of solidifies various thoughts many people have had about the VN. I figure this was one purpose of the anime, but I just hope it doesn’t bring the anime’s credibility down when they end up not explaining it.

8 Likes

I NOTICED THIS TOO but didn’t really give it much attention. It’s Akane.

1 Like

That last scene the ghost girl was (Rewrite VN Terra and Moon Spoiler) Moon Kagari right?
The (Rewrite VN Terra and Moon spoilers) Earth Kagari was outside the buliding and as far as I know (Rewrite VN Terra and Moon spoilers) Kagaris don’t have the ability to disappear unless they are outside the pocked dimension right? Like the stunt that Moon Kagari pull on November 13

1 Like

I wonder why it’s 10s. Before someone suggests it’s because of the flooring thingy he said “I will floor you in 10 minutes” instead of seconds so…
I hope they will change the scenes for the chorus later on. It feels pretty meh and flat for now.

They probably didn’t have time to do the cleanups on the lines.

Besides the missing braid in the next cut, there are also some derps. I tried correcting it in PS but I am too lazy to fix the border so I’ll leave it be lol

Notice they haven’t diffused the color chunks on the eyes. If I was not misinformed those are done in After Effects so probs the editing team was rushed.

All in all these show that they have a pretty tight schedule. I am not sure if that is because they are putting more time into the more important episodes (wishful thinking) or are simply working with a really demanding schedule. Based on Tensho mentioning that the animation team worked overnight before the pre-screening, that’s probs the case.

Oh wait nvm the whole thing was drawn by 1 person (+ chief animation director’s amendments). Wonder why?

1 Like

Even we arleady know that.
But scene still lovely
I have a friend who watch rewrite only till eps 2, he loving it.
We have nice chat about anime rewrite for 3 hours, without he knowing if rewrite had VN.
Though we almost chat about boobs.

Don’t make anime rewrite looks bad.
But i still immpress Fuch0u-san can do that comment. Because you must watch Whole Rewrite VN to make that comment.
You trully love rewrite, are’nt you?

Okay because of this episode. I always imagine Akane boobs and start loving Kagari boobs.

1 Like

So here’s my speculation on what will happen next episode (is this thread the place for this?) VN common route spoilers ahead.

[spoiler]We’ll be introduced to Kotarou’s part-time job at Terra Magazine. While looking for a camera, Kotarou meets Imamiya in the alleyway. After getting a camera, he gets stuck with the supernatural, which can either be the endlless alley or the hounds pursuing him or robed men or a mix of this, and here we get to find out about his accelerator power. After escaping the supernatural, he ends up in front of a menra stall where he meets Shizuru with old men (which includes Gen and Esaka).

Meanwhile, Kotarou will most likely meet Sakuya in the clubroom.[/spoiler]

As for the gags, Shake it now~ will either happen in Episode 3 (which is quite probable) or it’s practically impossible to appear anywhere in the anime at all. The online troll thingy feels unlikely to happen, but if it does, it’s likely to be in next episode too. WHAT IS YOUTH has a good chance of appearing soon, very likely on Episode 3 too.

I think that (VN Common Route Spoiler) Kotarou won’t work at Terra Magazine. It’s not really necessary to add it actually. If they need that for the camera scene where he meets Imamiya well… They could just make him need the camera for the Oka-ken instead.

2 Likes

It does become important in… well… Akane route. It might be possible for it play a role for the original route though. But I see what you mean. ^^;

Edit: I just found out something, and I’m not sure if it meant anything, but Episode 2 have four animation directors. Episode 1 has Masayuki Nonaka alone, but Episode 2 has:

作画監督:佐藤天昭・石井かおり・日高真由美・徳倉栄一

(from http://www.rewrite-anime.tv/story/story02.html)

What would that suggest, I wonder? I heard some episodes would have multiple animation directors either for specialization (e.g. some animators excelling on action scenes, mecha, etc) or because of a tight schedule (which seems to be consistent with what’s going on right now). o.O

1 Like

I’m having a good time with the anime so far. The pacing is a bit fast. Not horrid but not amazing (the transition to Chihaya bike scene for example was jarring from ep one). The majority of the jokes never worked for me in the game (especially all these boob jokes and punching) but seeing it animated and moving makes a few of them more humorous. I loved the Tomoko scene I hope they do the rest or them. The scenes with Yoshino were always my favorite and they are the highlight in the anime for me.

I like having Kagari more integrated into the plot she feels more present rather than shoe-horned near the end. Also a great way to warm up to her and let her personality shine.

My biggest gripe is the animation quality. Man it’s pretty bad. The opening and ending was ruined for me by the quality for such a beautiful ideas. I can only hope for better in the blu-ray. I wonder why White Fox wasn’t able to do the whole anime? I adore what they did with the OP2 for the game and their work on Stein’s Gate was great too.

1 Like

Do you want Rewrite to look like a slide show? I’ve never understood why people jerk off to the second OP so much when it’s barely moving for three fourths of the duration. Compared to the anime, it has detailed art, but the animation is barebone as fuck. Not to mention, the guy who did most of the work on the OP is the series director. How can you complain about the staff being wrong? Tenshou is the one who made the character designs for the VN OP, so obviously he considered using them for the anime; however, he didn’t in the end. You don’t think that’s because he realized those things wouldn’t move well? I love Hinoue’s designs for Rewrite, but no sane person would ever want to animate Kotori’s braids. With base designs like those, you can either make a slideshow like Shokugeki no Soma or remake the designs until they can be made to move. The show is not well animated, but it’s ludicrous for people to think that the VN OP was any better in that regard.

8 Likes

I had to rewatch the episode again and I have been reading some reviews from other sites about how the animation details were off and the fact some said the pacing of the episode felt too rushed. It does seem 8-bit studio is probably having some issues with budget and time constraints as I mentioned earlier in my last post. I did feel how they were dealing with the animation might have suffered but maybe they might be able to handle things as the anime progresses.

Does anyone think that Kagari should have been more terrifying in the anime than the VN? It’s not a big deal but I was concerned about that.

I think someone mentioned it above, but it seems like they’re building her as a character instead. If we think about Kagari from the Moon and Terra routes her true intentions are not malicious at all, but rather dependant on the world itself . So it makes sense as to why they would do what they did. I find dense Kagari great though.

This episode was pretty decent imo, I mean it kinda felt quick since this episode has a normal length unlike the first ep, but in terms of the content it was normally paced, though there was that part where they’ve went quickly from Chihaya entering the club to Kotarou’s wet dream.

it feels like they are prioritizing the “Kagari spooking Kotarou” gag to good scene transitions.

its the same issue that the first episode had.

in terms of animations this episode was okay, the characters looked on model most of the time though there was one small scene that was quite unpleasant.

the scene near the end where Kotarou says “I could carve out a place to belong all on my own”

Sadly I don’t have a gif for that scene but here is a screenshot of it

The animation in that scene was too inconstant, I feel like it would have been better if they just used a still frame of Kotarou instead of that shitty movement.

I mean the staff complains a lot about how the girls uniforms are hard to draw but the bad looking scene is a scene that has Kotarou only, and as someone who knows how to draw, Kotarou isn’t that hard to draw at all, I seriously have no idea why they hired an amatuer to do a scene that develops Kotarou’s character. if it was a comedy scene then it would have been kinda fine but this is just…

That scene was like the only scene that bothered me in this ep, the rest looked fine, just small mistakes that can be fixed quickly for the BD ver.

Judging from the staff listing of the ep, it doesn’t seem like they are having a super awful schedule, the 2nd episode has 4 Animation directors and 13 animators only, maybe they are trying to save money and effort for the more important future episode or maybe Aniplex and Key didn’t give out that much money to the animation staff for this project, I really don’t know.

Alright lets move to the good stuff!!!

The OP was way different from what I imagined but it was great!
I really like the first scene where (Terra spoilers) Kotarou tries to usehis powers and gets attacked by Kagari, the ribbon animation in that scene were so great!

Also the Kotarou cut at the end was so good that I made it my Laptop’s background pic!

also shout-out to Ryouma Ebata and his amazing ending animations!!!

1 Like

I guess that should have been obvious to me and I’m not really good at making counterpoints so I’ll leave it to the experts. Anyway, I can see why her character needs to have that type of development as the untold 6th route will probably explain from her point of view.

I felt like checking out the scene you’re referring to, and now that I noticed it, it did look a bit awkward. XD

Finally watched episode 2.
Most of my opinions were already said by other people (better than I could say them). That would be that:
It felt rushed, but time constraints exist so it was good that they could get so much of common into 20 minutes.
The animation had its inconsistencies but the animators have their own problems and they are trying their hardest.

I agree with this and what Pepe said. There were a lot of things I didn’t think about until I read this topic (good and bad)

I didn’t like the op the first time I watched it. But the second time I found that I liked more scenes from it. The third time I liked almost all of it. One thing that I still felt was awkward was the timing. I think that some of the scenes should match the music better. For example, the Philosophyz anime opening kinda goes like this: starts strong, backs off when the vocals kick in, builds to the chorus, then ends with the cool riff. I wish that:

• Kotarou waking up happened when the vocals kicked in
  • Kagari’s ribbons cutting the screen and showing the girls happened right when the music swells(it was slightly after :komue:)
  • The scene with Esaka was moved to anywhere else. Most of the scenes before the swell were bright, so the darkness of the scenes after paired well with the change in the music. Esaka’s scene was also bright and probably would’ve been better somewhere else.

Other than that, I really liked the scene at the end. I didn’t notice it the first time, but he was looking at the photo in the city of stone(I think…?), which made me choke up a little. It being in the sunset, a combination of night and day, perfectly combines themes in the op (light and dark) with the story. Combining (light rewrite plot) the scenes showing his everyday life with the tragedies that are going to happen by having him reminisce about the good times in a place where he couldn’t have them was just really, really cool)

I feel pretty neutral about the ed.

I’m not a music or animation expert, so let me know if I got something wrong

3 Likes

I didn’t like this episode that much, but it was important. In a lot of ways it covered a lot ground that I had expected to be covered in episode one, but probably got pushed to episode 2 so they could show people all the supernatural stuff too. The animation is still all over the place in terms of quality, but generally I really like the art style they are using.

So Akane was absolute love in this episode. At this point I don’t really have a favorite Rewrite girl, but Akane has one of the strongest intros and they just nailed the pacing of it.

1 Like

One other thing I like about the anime is how much of a focus it gives in Kotarou finding his “purpose” through the occult club. It’s one thing that I felt took a backseat in the VN (and was only given enough focus in the intro). Focusing on it here makes me realize just how important it is to the theme of rewrite as a whole. Like, you never really think much that Kotarou, despite being a pretty fun guy, is always pretty much alone, and doesn’t see much purpose, because we are always too preoccupied by his zany antics. Thus, the development that occurs later in the story now seems all the more important, and I think really changes how I view rewrite.

I guess this is what Tanaka meant about rewriting the story to make it more understandable.

12 Likes

Welp, time to write my delayed thoughts on episode 2 and I thought it was a pretty decent episode. The highlights for me was the Tomoko scene, Tomoko herself being really cute both in terms of appearance and voice, and the final scene of the episode, where Kotarou begins to realize how important the occult club might be for him and in terms of finding his purpose. In terms of music, I really liked the usage of “Radiance” during the Tomoko scene; it reminded me of how much I liked that track. As for the OP, it feels great to see Philosophyz animated, I love the usage of the transitions and the final shot of Kotarou looking at a pic of the occult club while (Moon spoilers) sitting solemnly on a broken wall of the destroyed Kazamatsuri was perfect. As for the ED, I thought the song was alright at first, but it did grow on me while rewatching the episode and I feel that it’ll continue to grow on me the more I watch the anime. The animation was pretty nice, though I noticed more dips in the quality when it came to some of the character models during some of the scenes and sadly, I feel that’s just going to be a reoccurring problem with the anime. Still, it’s better than nothing at the end of the day and plus, animation is not cheap to produce. So overall, I liked the episode and with that, I’ll go and watch episode 3 which was released yesterday (at the time of writing this post).

5 Likes