Planetarian Movie ~ Hoshi no Hito ~

Oh thanks,how can you know much about this novel.I can’t find any information about Planetarian novel on the Internet.

Like the original story? You can play the original visual novel on steam. It’s currently translated in English, Chinese (Mandarin/simplified iirc), and apparently German now. Usually costs about $10. If you want to just look up general stuff about it search planetarian ~chiisana hoshi no yume~ on any search engine or vndb or something.

2 Likes

thanks

So the other day I watched the movie with my fellowship friends using the official subbed blu-ray which I enjoyed a lot. I honestly don’t know if anyone else has checked out the official subbed version but its nice. I love this movie but this last rewatch I felt like I had a bit more criticisms of it than I expected. One was that a lot of the Christian themes were a lot more muted in the movie than in the original stories. This is probably because as far as I am aware, Suzumoto was not involved in the anime production along with the added fact that we hear a lot less of the Junker’s internal monologue. Another criticism my friend told me about was about the Snow Globe at the very beginning. Since he hadn’t known about any of the other planetarian drama CD’s, he thought the Snow Globe was going to be a Chekhov’s Gun since the Junker seemed so fixated on it in the beginning. Talking about and explaining why the snow globe was there actually reminded me of a cool thing which is that this movie references all other side stories and connects them all together even though technically the story is really only about the main story and Hoshi no Hito.

Snow Globe is referenced by the beginning of the ONA and movie when the Junker sees the snow globe and Yumemi realizes that there’s a customer she must greet.
Jerusalem is referenced by the setting of the story, the “rosary” treasure, and the last nun robot.
Finally, Tircis and Aminte is referenced by the credits and lyrics of Hoshi no Fune.

Other than that, my friends really enjoyed watching the movie. Seeing the battle scene with surround sound really adds to the effect. Finally at the end of the movie one of my friends said that he cried for about 3/4ths of the movie which I didn’t really understand but hey, it’s an onion cutting simulator.

1 Like

Hoshi no Hito movie is certainly enjoyable and did made me emotional especially in the end. Although I didn’t enjoy it to the fullest because half of it was just a recap of ONA which I watched it first before the movie (I guess a bad choice for my part?), and the other one is the actual story. I kinda struggle getting used to its pacing, but I guess I can appreciate the movie trying to parallel out the two sides the stories.

Since Hoshi no Hito movie is already two in one show, I guess I can express my opinions about the ONA and the movie.

I do certainly enjoy the ONA overall, but since the anime lacks the Junker’s internal monologue which is one of the reasons why I love the VN a bit more. The anime wasn’t able to capture the mood and the atmosphere that the VN was able to make me feel while reading it. And you can’t completely feel and enjoy Suzumoto’s writing at its fullest in the anime, unlike with the VN. If he’s actually not involve in the anime, I guess that’s understandable, and it’s probably one of the limitations in animations I suppose. That’s just my personal nitpick.

For the Hoshi no Hito part of the movie itself, I did enjoy it, although I prefer the drama cd a bit more because it’s straight forward and no recaps in between, but like I said earlier, I can still appreciate it for what they were doing. Or maybe, I just prefer to imagine things what was going on in the Drama CD rather than seeing what was happening in the anime?

But one thing I can commend in the anime is the Cygnus constellation pendant that the Junker was wearing in the anime, which is I am so sure that’s not in the VN.

If you watch the scene in the movie when the Junker went to ‘heaven’ and have an emotional moment with Yumemi, it broke me especially when I saw that she’s wearing the pendant, the pendant that the Junker gave to Yumemi’s lifeless body at the end of the main story, which honestly made me emotional. That attention detail in the movie is one of the biggest thing I can praise here.

Overall, it’s certainly an enjoyable movie despite me struggling with it’s pacing. But hey, at least it gave me feels especially the last moments.

2 Likes