Planetarian - General Discussion

As it dictates my career, I’m an enthusiast of Psychology, and one of things I feel was a huge underpinning of this story was memory when it came to the distinction between Yumemi and the Junker.

On the topic of memory I believe this is one of the key points the dialogue attempted to establish to make us feel how these characters are physically on two ends of a spectrum.

Yumemi as a Robot has near perfect recollection of any and every event she has ever “lived” through and could recollect the most minor information if need be. This is used as a contrast to our Human main character who exhibits many imperfections particularly when it comes to memory. An example of this can be seen by the fact that prior to the projection scene the Junker has little recollection of the night sky before the Rain and the war. At one point he insists that the idea of a starry sky is ‘crazy’ because he no longer remembers or just has very little recollection of what it was like.
Essentially this is creating a sense of division between the characters by the integrity of their memory being the key characteristic. This becomes incredibly significant when we hear Yumemi’s wish about not wanting the heavens to be split in two.

Whilst what I just said may seem like an obvious point I really appreciate the attention to detail given to the gradual development in the Junker’s perspective, and his memory has a lot to do with this. I want to look at this through a more psychological lens.

Without getting too academic, we as humans do not have perfect memory. As much as we like to think, “I was there so I know I can’t be wrong” our short term memory is fragile and easily influenced usually based on emotional experiences. Whether it be through the context of our circumstances, or due to some misleading information. Additionally, our long term memory of events is episodic because our brains only store the most important information that matters to us because we can’t possibly retain every detail we perceive. When we do recall information we forget, it is mainly because of emotional or contextual cues which trigger dormant memories to spring back to mind.
So why is this important to our main character?

The Junker, prior to the projection seems to barely remember the night sky. When he sees Yumemi’s projection he is completely mesmerised, and we later find that this certainly has a retroactive interference effect on his memory.

Once The Junker and Yumemi leave the planetarium, they walk in the rain and The Junker has a flashback scene where he recalls an episodic memory of his childhood. When he was a child, his mother held him outside at one point, and she looked up at the sky with him amongst the now nuclear wasted sky.

This is all he recalls, but he begins to question if there were stars in that sky at the time. He can’t remember if there were, but the fact that he had seen Yumemi’s projection was powerful enough of a contextual cue that it triggered memories of his past that he would otherwise would have never remembered. But even then his memory is not perfect, and doesn’t recall if there were visible stars or not. But the way he speaks of his memory comes across as if his brain is retroactively trying to reconstruct that episodic memory because his more recent emotional experience is impacting his ability to accurately recall past events.

To put it in a nutshell, he is human, he is imperfect. She is a robot, she is perfect. At least… in terms of memory.

Which is quite poetically ironic at the very end, especially when you consider that Yumemi’s greatest imperfection was the fact her parting gift of a memory card, an imperfect man-made storage device, held imperfect limited information at the end of her operational lifespan.

4 Likes

I love this point - it’s so significant of the Junker superimposing Yumemi’s beliefs onto himself to live a better life. I mentioned in a previous post about how all his previous memories weren’t exactly ‘happy’ ones, and how this one memory contrasts that. In this particular flashback, there are so many uncertainties about specific details, unlike all the others which he remembers quite vividly - the Junker isn’t even sure if the person holding him was his mother. It makes sense that given all he’s been through in life, the Junker would superimpose any fragment of happiness onto one part of his memory so that he could use that it could be associated with the concepts of hope, faith and beauty that Yumemi presented to him in the projection scene, that way, those concepts become more meaningful and sustained because of the association with happy memories.

Another thing that has to be considered is the timing of when these memories occurred. We generally see these flashbacks during the time when the Junker is sleeping. For all we know, all of these memories might not be proper memories, and might just be dreamt up memories that are created from the Junker’s emotional state and perspective on life. So who’s to say that this particular flashback isn’t just the Junker dreaming something up and believing it to have actually happened?

2 Likes

I don’t know why I did this but i decided to copy all of your posts for planetarian and A Snow Globe into Microsoft Word to see what you have done as you posted Skyload of Starfish. Congratulations you have posted a total of 9.5 pages with a total of 7813 words (assuming I didn’t miss any.) That would take me about 14hours to write!?!?!?! The King James Bible has a total of 783137 words in it, therefore if you wrote 100 times more posts you have written the ENTIRE KING JAMES BIBLE.

Thus I have gifted you with the Golden Takafumi Award. Accept it graciously along with my Jealously for writing up such good posts. Please Sign up for the Podcast (If you havent already)

2 Likes

Just a few religious notes on planetarian’s projection scene and its importance. Should mention the point that the Junkers’s name is never given and how the story is written in an almost 2nd person view instead of 1st and thus makes you the read the junker.

At the start of planetarian we have are introduced to Yumemi who is pretty much Jesus for this story. Our first experience is her asking if we want to come to the planetarian to experience the twinkling of eternity without force but invitation for us to come in. We are given two choices to either leave and be left to a world of selfishness and death covered with sin (the rain) or we could come into the planetarian and learn about the twinkling of eternity heaven. Notice before there was no sin (the rain) there was the stars. During the story, the stars are present but not see-able as the rain is in the way. Either way the story takes the initiative and decides to make the Junker enter. When he enters is already with respect where Yumemi puts her value below his and serves him as he is the customer that has the freedom to decide if they want to purchase the truth of the stars. The Humbleness and respect for the Junker is simular to Jesus’s respect for the Human race with how he washed his disciples feet for example. This further shows evidence that Yumemi is supposed to be Jesus. Yumemi keeps bringing up how she wants him to see the projection and learn the truth about the stars but his lack of interest stops him from watching but he still stays in the planetarian as he is still interested unlike his friend who lost interest in the stars and died by other means (but not divine punishment from Yumemi just because of natural punishment of war.) Yumemi never forces him to watch the projection and lets him choice whether he wants him to or not. Overtime he finally decides to give in to experience the truth of the stars and see the projection. In palms 34:8 we have, “Taste and See that the Lord is good”, in context this is talking about experience. Sadly when he decides he is interested we have the issues of the light-bulbs. In order to watch the projection he has to overcome this adversary. Satan literately translates to adversary in Hebrew. This is where the Junker has to start to overcome the adversary and fix the machine. Yes he fails once and considers stopping but Yumemi never complains but just encourages him to complete the machine so he can watch the projection. When he finally experiences the projection after much hard work, he finally sees the truth of the projection with his own eyes and has seen the truth of the stars that Yumemi just invites people to see. This projection scene is the point in the story where the Junkers character starts to change Dramatically. After this point he starts to become much less selfish and more like Yumemi. Through the story, although rude and disrespectful, he slowly warms to Yumemi similar to how Christians come to learn about the knowledge of God. This is a change in character over time and not a instant change. Of course after the projection scene we have the scene of where Yumemi protects him for his own mistake and how that represents the cross but i won’t bother explaining that as its pretty self explanatory.

Do keep in mind that my perspective of god is like this: If you decide to stop breathing and put a plastic bag over your head you will die as you break the repository laws (breathing in carbon dioxide and breathing oxyge.) Its not divine punishment its just thats how humans are built, Similarly if you lie to a human, your going to overwork your brain from trying to remember all the lies and who you said it to and all the stress that will be involved in not being caught. As science shows stress shuts down the immune system and thus lowering your bodies health over time and will result in death (not saying that if nobody lies no one will die.

My view of planetarian really results in this religious view of mine and thus can be a completely different view than someone elses so I love to hear about your religious belief of planetarian (weather Christian, Atheist or even Muslim. Theres alot more of what id love to write on the my regions view points on its aspects in planetarian, but you probably won’t want to read lots of things with bible stories on my viewpoint but if you wanna ask just message me on discord.

Either-way love to hear your religious thoughts on planetarian especially from you Idiology with a few thousand words.

2 Likes

To be fair, I have mentioned quite a few ways religion is used in my previous posts, but here’s some stuff I haven’t mentioned yet:

One thing I’d like to point out is the symbolism of the planetarium in regards to religion. I’m not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone thus for, but to me it’s clear that the planetarium is symbolic of a religious place of worship due to it being a place where many people go to see Jena’s projections, and hear Yumemi talk about the stars, which is similar to how one may go to a church to hear a priest talk about Jesus and God. So to me, Yumemi’s projections act very similarly as a religious talk/ceremony considering how it’s a process that she’s had to do over and over, and naturally the planetarium gives different talks during different days.

Another thing that I think emphasises this idea is the fact that Jena was broken when the Junker first came to the planetarium. At that current time, the Junker had no belief in Yumemi or the world, he just lived for himself. Now in a conventional religious ceremony, there generally isn’t a visual element as prominent as what Jena does, so I think Jena’s projections are used to symbolise a catalyst to help one perceive the stories and messages presented during a religious ceremony, and since the Junker had no beliefs, it is only natural that Jena wouldn’t work. As time passes, the Junker slowly starts trusting in Yumemi, and it’s through this that the Junker is gaining the faith and belief needed to be able to see Jena’s projections. When Jena is fixed, we get the initial projection along with Yumemi’s talk. This is a typical process that anyone who came to the planetarium would go through, but the interesting part is what happens next. When the power goes out, the Junker tells Yumemi to keep going as her voice will be enough. Even without Jena, the Junker is able to clearly see the stars in his mind. This shows that the Junker no longer needs a catalyst to help him believe and perceive what Yumemi talks about. Now, the actual image of the stars used during this scene is beautiful, it’s gorgeous and I love it so much, but if we also consider that it’s what the Junker is seeing in his mind due to Yumemi’s talks, then it shows how strong the Junker’s belief has now become – he has reached a state of mind where the beauty of Yumemi’s beliefs have become manifold. This is very different from how the average person would see the stars if they normally went to the planetarium, as normally they would get the assistance of Jena to aid them as a catalyst, but since the Junker doesn’t need that anymore, it shows that he has become truly devoted to the word of Yumemi. This is also emphasised at the very end of the novel where Yumemi dies – despite her death, the Junker still maintains her beliefs and continues his journey as the star teller, spreading Yumemi’s word and beliefs to the people.

Now let’s consider why a planetarium was used of all things to represent this. To me, it’s very clear that looking to the stars is religiously symbolic of looking towards God/at the heavens. The stars are out of humanities reach in their current state, similarly to God and the heavens above, so it gives humanity a goal to work towards, similarly to how one might try to better themselves due to religion. Yumemi even mentions how she believes that despite all of the issues in the world, mankind will one day be able to fix all of them, and then reach for the stars. To me, this represents the idea of man working to free itself from sin, in which then God will accept humanity and allow them to enter his kingdom. This is why Yumemi believes in the stars, because it’s symbolic of humanity wanting to make amends, and bettering themselves so that they can reach a state that allows them to enter the kingdom of God.

To me, planetarian’s religious elements are used as a means of spreading words of hope, which is one thing many religions do in general. Yumemi’s never-changing state allows her to keep hold of all of her beliefs, which causes them to be spread as soon as she meets the Junker. It lights a spark of hope in a world without any, and causes a world without any beliefs to start to gain faith.

5 Likes

Suzumoto 3 days ago on Twitter. “No matter the meanings people attribute them, the stars will just remain as stars in the sky, and it’s for that reason we continue thinking about them.”

9 Likes

I’ve been meaning to give Planetarian a reread. My first time through took me about 18 sittings and I ended up not thinking it was anything special. Hoping my opinions change once I give it a one sitting read.

I read Planetarian for the first time, despite this not being the first time I have bought it. I grabbed the Switch copy, and before I delve into the story itself I will say that the experience of being able to go between portable mode and a more cinematic experience where I turn off the lights and read on my main TV and with a proper sound system was lovely. VNs on the Switch are basically my favorite thing now. I read through most of the beginning in handheld mode, which was intimate and personal - perfect for getting to know Yumemi - but did the final section docked with the lights out and the sound up and the impact was incredible.

There is a lot of interesting and intricate symbolism in the VN, a lot of which has been discussed by those who posted before me. I imagine that a second playthrough would be really good for picking up on a lot of subtleties. But there is a very overt theme of dreams in the story that was really fun to follow. As is often the case with the word, they kind of blur the line between dreams: what you see when you sleep, and dreams: aspirations.

You have Yumemi, who claims repeatedly to be unable to dream as a robot, and yet her given name is basically “Dreamer.” And of course, even if she does not experience the act of dreaming while sleeping, we see her earnest belief that customers will return as a dream. Her whole existence in the Planetarium and within the city is in some ways a dream of a forgotten time. In this way I think the bouquet worked as perfect symbol in the game for Yumemi’s dream. It was maybe not quite authentic, but earnest in its existence.

And the Junker finally accepting the bouquet felt like him finally accepting Yumemi’s dream, and even more than that, the ability to dream again himself. It is after that he starts not just talking about getting out of the city and what to do with Yumemi, but actually planning about a future where they did something besides fight and accept the wasteland world he lives in. It felt like by accepting the bouquet the Junker himself finally fully accepted the ability to dream again, in that important aspirational sense.

Then there is of course the presence of mankind’s greatest shared dream - the stars - used as a backdrop to tie the narrative together. Maybe I have some overly romantic notions about it, but the thought of how the night sky, our understanding of it, and how that has shaped human history across cultures resonates with me. So in the end, when the Junker takes up the dream of wanting to travel and show his world the stars it was a very powerful transition. He has gone from being caught in the selfish and hopeless in the face of his dark world that has forgotten the stars, to being someone who wants to share this dream of mankind with others. He is taking on the mantle of steward of this dream from Yumemi.

Changing subjects a bit: One thing that ended up sticking out to me is, at the end when Yumemi is about to die, the Junker has the epiphany that no one has told Yumemi the truth - and then proceeds to to lie to her without skipping a beat. On the one hand, I do not really find fault with the Junker at this phase for it. The final moments are probably not quite the right time to go over the real state of humanity - in that moment I feel it was the kinder choice. But it made me a bit uncomfortable to really face head on that Yumemi’s dream of people returning was built on people lying to her, not just something that played out because she was a robot in the wrong place at the end of humanity. And you find out here that Yumemi wavered in her belief a bit as she waited, but she still waited. The text doesn’t really treat this as a problem, but it was something that stuck out to me, as it gave Yumemi an additional sense of tragedy in my mind as it felt like in a way people lying to her robbed her of her of some of her agency. I am left wondering what would have become of her if she had more knowledge of the true state of things instead of the lie that her coworkers would return to hold on to. It is not really something to know of course, but it changed my perception of Yumemi at least a bit.

The final thing that really stuck out to me during this was the similarities between the world of the Junker and some of the imagery from Owari no Hoshi no Love Song. There was not really enough in the main story that I picked on that made me think they are expressly supposed to be related, but it is interesting to have the dying planet motif pop up again. It clearly works really well to have stories where you juxtapose the best and the worst of humanity. Of course in Planetarian “the best” is really a robot. I am looking forward to seeing if there are more similarities and differences I see in the two worlds and the themes as I go through the Planetarian side stories.

7 Likes

Okay this post is going to be a weird amalgamation of things because several different things have been brought up that I want to talk about:

First of all, one thing that was mentioned in kyuketsukimiyu’s post - you mentioned the part during Yumemi’s death where she both wavered her belief and the Junker lied to her. First, I want to address why I think the Junker lied to her. One potential reason for this is that he believes that he will make it happen. The Junkers urge to make Yumemi’s dream come true is made incredibly clear at the end of the novel, so to me, it’s very clear that if she did live, he would help her make that dream come true. However, the one thing that contradicts that idea is that he mentions how her coworkers are out there, which may be true but it’s heavily suggested that they’re dead. However, if one considers the events of Hoshi No Hito, Yumemi is seen in heaven with her coworkers, and people who want to view her projections - this is what the Junker promised her during her death. Now fair enough it’s impossible for the Junker to have known that this is what would eventually happen to Yumemi, but I think the Junkers words at this moment can be interpreted as coming from God.

As for Yumemi’s doubts - this is something that struck out to me as well, and only broke my heart more during the death scene. It’s difficult for me to interpret this as it’s so different from how Yumemi is generally perceived, but I think this moment makes her look vulnerable. Throughout the entire novel, she maintains her mentalities and beliefs, she is seen as an unwavering figure, which is possibly part of the reason the Junker naturally took on her dreams and beliefs. This scene shows that even someone with the strongest of beliefs can be uncertain in them at times. Even though Yumemi is a robot, she acts very humans, and even people with the strongest faiths can be uncertain of them at times, especially in times of death, since one naturally looks over their life, contemplating whether they did good or not as they’re about to die (similarly to how Yumemi played back a bunch of memories during this scene). So in this case specifically, Yumemi has seen the destroyed and ruined state of the world outside the planetarium, and contemplated whether her beliefs were valid considering the circumstances, so I think it makes sense why this part was included in that scene - her dying is the catalyst for the entire conversation.

As for whether Yumemi would have changed knowing the true state of things (Snow Globe Spoilers) I don’t think she would have, because she was told to never change by one of her colleagues, and she took that as a priority, so to me, Yumemi’s continuous optimism and her refusal to acknowledge the Junkers words about how man will never come to the planetarium again are because of that instruction. I also think this influences other traits about Yumemi such as how she refuses to be completely silent when the Junker orders her to - if she was permanently silent, that would make her change, contradicting that order.

Now for the point that HeliosAlpha made about Suzumoto: Despite everything I’ve written about planetarian, there is one thing that I don’t think I emphasised enough - while religious elements are used throughout planetarian, it is not the primary focus of the novel, it is just something that is used to help present one of the many key aspects of the novel, such as the concept of hope. I made a point about the stars and how they can he used to represent heaven which is one potential reason why they’re used - but that was my religious interpretation of why they were used. There are multiple other potential reasons - astrology, the stories behind each stars name, the idea that we are part of an endless world where anything can happen etc… but at the end of the day they are just a constant element. Yumemi’s opening speech mentions how stars are ‘The beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when’. This only emphasises that stars are timeless, and are disjoint from the world we live in, so no matter what happens here, the beauty of the stars will always be there. How one interprets stars is up to them, but the point is that they will never change, and I think that only serves as a contrast to the ruined world presented in planetarian.

Also, for the podcast - Key Point: I mentioned in one of my posts how Yumemi has a potential belief in both the God of robots and the God of humanity, I was just curious how you interpreted that and how does it feed into the connotations of Yumemi’s symbolism and the overall religious connotations of planetarian?

6 Likes

Something about planetarian which can only be appreciated now is how this game has become the forerunner for Key’s global presence. The first bookclub was held to commemorate the first Steam release which was huge back then because it was the first time a Key game was available officially in English (yada yada, IOS nonsense, don’t care). Nowadays, between Steam and the Switch, this game is available in 8 languages?! I know depressingly little about this game’s development, successes or failures, but this has to be so far off the map from what they imagined almost 15 years ago. Lotta people’s wishes has gone into growing what was originally a very tiny project, makin sure dem stars stay in people’s hearts.

7 Likes

Planetarian is my second Key VN and while nothing will ever be as amazing as Little Busters was, it was quite good and left me thoughtful and depressed for a few nights.

The junker introduces us to the hopelessness and the grit of the world through his eyes. Then, we’re introduced to the frozen world in the planetarium and its only inhabitant Yumemi. Her speech patterns and pushiness made her annoying to me, but I also found her charming and she endeared herself to me. I’m a huge fan of her beautiful design in the HD sprites; mainly her silverish/blue/purple hair, her green eyes and her changing ribbons. In the anime her ribbons are shown to be animated and it would have been so cool if her sprites had her ribbons animated and moving their design like that.

Just the general atmosphere of the VN is great and immersive and has a general feel to it. All thanks to Yumemi’s sprites, for example when she holds stuff up, and the lovely music.

The projection scene hit me quite hard on a personal level. I used to be heavily into astronomy as a kid and wanted to become an astronomer. I remember I was obsessed with tracking the New Horizons probe lol. Then my accumulating mental problems while growing up just made me forget about it. Yumemi, thank you so much for guiding me to and reminding me of the stars. I won’t forget them and I won’t forget your earnestness for the sky. LB spoilers Kud’s route did the same thing for me, but Yumemi also says that reaching the stars is a goal for humanity to accomplish together. The idea of people working together to reach the stars makes me happy and sadly if that could have happened in that world then the devastating war might have not taken place.

After the projection is when the themes of humanity vs being a robot begin and the events for the tragedy of Yumemi’s death are set in motion. I have this to say. I definitely see Yumemi as a person, but not as a human. Why? Because of her devotion to serving and helping humanity. Because she was made to serve humanity and was so innocent, she refused to accept that humans could have destroyed themselves and their world even when the evidence was right before her eyes. That made her truly tragic to me. The spot of hope right before the junker tries to take out the mech makes the ending hurt more as well. I was so frustrated with Yumemi refusing to accept the broken world around her right until her sacrifice and accepting the humans who made her and then abandoned her. You deserve better dammit, please! I was also frustrated with the junker lying to her and saying that he came to get her and all of her coworkers were waiting for her. Looking on it now though, maybe lying was the best thing to do because she was so hopeful and naive that learning the complete truth could have destroyed her.

Yumemi managed to restore hope in the junker by showing him the stars and giving him her memory card after her death, so Planetarian didn’t feel pointless. However it left me depressed and now whenever I hear Perfectly Human, the theme of her death, I tear up. Yumemi was truly happy working in the planetarium and in an ideal world I wouldn’t want to take that away from her. But I would have also liked her to also live for herself and not serve humans blindly.

One last thing; I wonder if Planetarian could be interpreted as a love story? Yumemi’s effect on the junker lasted the rest of his life and spread to others in that broken world and some people see that as a metaphor of her being a messiah but I can’t really see that. Key’s next kinetic VN Harmonia was a robot love story, but I didn’t enjoy that VN at all. If Planetarian had been a bit longer and kept all its elements plus added a love story between her and the junker, I would have loved it even more. I’m a sucker for cheesy romance here and it would have made it more meaningful in my opinion.

That’s exactly how I see her! A selfless and charming person whose extreme selflessness became a fatal fault and made her blindly obedient.

3 Likes

I just finished Planetarian. And whew it was a lot to take in.
First of all, I want to say clearly that I did enjoy the overall story.

The appreciation, references, and similarities to The Little Prince, a story that means the world to me, did not go unnoticed and was absolutely one of my favourite aspects of the entire VN.
In addition, I love stars and the night sky, and philosophical themes, so this novel was something right up my alley.

The downside for me was how Yumemi was portrayed or perhaps viewed at times bit in the novel itself. I don’t prefer to get into it, since I think the reason for my uncomfortable feelings are more personal and not something everyone can relate to or quite understand.

That aside, how she was written at other parts very much shined. It’s not that I expected Yumemi to be any particular way, but I think that at certain points the novel wanted to get me to see her in a particular light that I disliked. But who she is as a character in itself is very good and important to the story and what the story is trying to say in itself. In the end, Yumemi proved to certainly be an interesting character.

I did like the ending where her own side of the story was expanded upon more, but like @kyuketsukimiyu wrote, it was almost a bit disheartening:

But it made me a bit uncomfortable to really face head on that Yumemi’s dream of people returning was built on people lying to her, not just something that played out because she was a robot in the wrong place at the end of humanity. And you find out here that Yumemi wavered in her belief a bit as she waited, but she still waited. The text doesn’t really treat this as a problem, but it was something that stuck out to me, as it gave Yumemi an additional sense of tragedy in my mind as it felt like in a way people lying to her robbed her of her of some of her agency. I am left wondering what would have become of her if she had more knowledge of the true state of things instead of the lie that her coworkers would return to hold on to

For me, this point and the the idea of Yumemi’s agency struck a chord with me. There’s a side of me that cherishes Yumemi’s hope, but at some point, when does hope become something that hurts you - is it not better to instead of keep hoping and hoping, while living in a same tragedy repeatedly - isn’t it better to try and understand the reality, and make a decision for the positive upon that? It made me feel very sorry for Yumemi. To me, she was trapped in an illusion based on lies.

Perhaps that’s a very dark way to view it. But again, it doesn’t mean the story didn’t move me, or it wasn’t interesting, or even badly written. In the end, I couldn’t see Yumemi’s views as beautiful and innocent, but a result of a series of very sad tragedies and living in an illusion.

You could argue Yumemi is like a Cinderella figure, holding onto a hope is beautiful. But the difference is Cinderella was truly trapped in an abusive situation - and Yumemi trapped herself in her own beliefs based on lies and an illusionary belief. This was a problem to me.

But this was important to me, especially in relation to who she meets - Junker, who had been eating the bitter reality.

Whereas her view did inspire Junker to understand a world of the past - a brighter, happier, world - and to try and create and understand, and even wish for a world as such - it works for Junker. As he knows of a cruel, bitter, deadly, and desolate world. He would have not learned about the last few beauties and hope of the world if not for Yumemi, and I appreciate that.

For that reason, the whole Planetarian scene in itself is my favourite. It’s Yumemi, this robot built on human’s hopes and dreams, and the desire to share the beauty of the world and the universe, fulfilling her ‘purpose’ so to speak to have Junker remember that. And that he did.

The story then becomes a story of contrasts to me.

Junker’s world, desolate, in ruin, embittered, but all so real.

Yumemi’s world, one filled with hope and stars and memories, but all based on an illusion and lies.

In the end - Junker realizes about hope and love, I think even this growing to understand and build that in him was symbolised as he was fixing Miss Jena. Despite this, he continues to live in reality while carrying that with him.

And in the end, Yumemi realizes fully about the reality of desolation and ruin, but she continues to dream knowing that in a happy future. That is important too.

The important thing is that both learned from each other what they both lacked critically. Living focusing on a cruel “real” world with no dreams or hope is painful and sad. Living focusing on a dream world where people will surely come back and all will be happy again, while trapping yourself in that illusion leads to living in a dream where no true happiness can be created. I think either of these things are uncomfortable for me. I appreciate the balance more. Understand reality, but don’t give up on hopes and dreams. Don’t forcefully be positive no matter what bad things happen, and just wait for something to change - but find the good in the reality of the situation, and make the changes you want to see realized. The unfortunate thing is how they had to live, and what had happened to them, before either got to that point of realization.

In the end, it did tie together for me when I read the story as such.

Now, also, The Little Prince references.

The Little Prince is a story that shares a similar sentiment with Planetarian: an older man, the Pilot, weary of the ways of the world, who may die soon - meets a youthful, innocent being who needs no food nor water, but has stories of the stars and the beauty of them.

I feel though The Little Prince handled this more to my tastes, as it wasn’t so black and white as it was in Planetarian. In The Little Prince, The Pilot is weary and bitter, but he retains his hope and innocence deep down. The Prince is innocent and dreamy, but understands the pain that exists within reality - “Were you so sad then, on the day of the forty-four sunsets?” - and teach each other about their own views and lessons of the world. Junker and Yumemi only learned this balance after meeting each other, and ultimately bitterly ends.

Again, this doesn’t mean it’s bad. But I liked the reference and later the contrast to the story in itself and how it took on it’s own meaning as well.

Some references I noticed as well was when the Junker was fixing Miss Jena, and Yumemi chattering to him a lot, was like how the Pilot tried to fix his plane while The Little Prince kept asking him “questions of no consequence” because he feared for his survival, much like Junker did needing food and water. In reply to this, The Little Prince gets angry, thinking the Pilot has said the stars are not a “matter of consequence” where in fact, they very much are. This parallel was nice, though Yumemi more gentle in her delivery to insist the stars and to view the projection were something she’d like him to see very much.

Another reference was a visual nod, but one of Yumemi’s ribbons, the color, stars, and text, mirrored that of a version of The Little Prince’s cover.

SX336_BO1,204,203,200fijsdg

This small little nods and references, perhaps even inspiration were a thing of what I really enjoyed about Planetarian.
Aside from that, those are my thoughts of the novel overall before heading into the side stories. There is a lot of Christian overtone but @Idiology and @stupid explain these aspects very well.
I really enjoyed the novel overall!

8 Likes

To me, if Yumemi wasn’t constantly maintaining hope, then she wouldn’t have been able to give the Junker a brighter and more hopeful perspective on life. If Yumemi fell to despair because of the world, her beliefs naturally wouldn’t have been as strong as they were in the novel. This would have affected how she acted around the Junker, and could have potentially changed the entire story. To me, Yumemi would have to need more hope about the world than the Junker has despair to pass on her feelings to him, which is why she is as she is. In order to improve the world, one must truly believe that the world can improve, and that’s what Yumemi does in the novel. Now, at the very end, during her death, she admits that she’s aware the world broken, only to be comforted by the Junkers words. This is so that she doesn’t fall into despair during her death, and reminds Yumemi of her dreams and beliefs, and while yes this is a lie, it’s a sign that the Junker doesn’t want the world to fall into despair any longer. Also, despite what’s happened in the world, Yumemi honestly believes that people will return, and that her projections will be needed. To her, this is the truth, and considering how it’s impossible to predict what will happen in the future, at the time it is a perfectly valid truth. Basically what I’m trying to say is, if one believes something about the future, it can instantly be considered a potential truth because of the unpredictability of events, so while Yumemi’s story may seem tragic, it’s also quite inspiring in my opinion.

4 Likes

But that’s the thing - Yumemi could have understood the reality of the world and not lost hope despite that. To me, I feel that’s a lot more powerful. I don’t want to deny her existence and truth - as I agree it was definitely needed But to me, even if I don’t deny her truth, it does seem so sad.

I don’t agree that one only needs to believe the world can improve and thus will improve, with no action to follow it. Perhaps if Yumemi had been told the reality, and escaped with everyone, would she be able to help others more like she wished with action? Could she have given them hope along the way? What is really best? But it was what it was. And that’s how she ended up. It was good she could at least teach Junker a valuable lesson, and in turn, Junker could help her understand the reality and put her to rest too.

The Junkers lie in itself I found no issue in - that was him understanding the importance of hopes and dreams, and sharing that to comfort Yumemi in her final moments. Junker helped her understand the reality of the world by her coming outside with him and in her final moments - but he also didn’t destroy her hopes and dreams, and instead, his “lie” - (can we even say it was? There is no way to disprove a heaven) or how I see it, his understanding of hope, was what he learned and what he could comfort her with.

The lie that was an issue to me was the workers not telling Yumemi the reality of the world that was going to befall them that led her to believe and hold onto a hope by trusting in a (not necessarily malicious, but none the less) lie that was troubling, to me. ;

4 Likes

It is a bit tragic in a way, but I also feel like that tragedy is what allowed the beacon of hope to stay lit all this time to be passed onto the Junker. Yumemi is a time capsule preserving all the hopes and dreams of humanity in the hopes of passing them on to a new generation. If anything happened slightly differently, that hope would have died out decades ago.

And well… I don’t think it was a lie anyway. None of those people wanted to die. They wanted to believe humanity would survive the crisis and they’d return to open the planetarium again, and that hope was passed on to Yumemi. And even though it wasn’t his intention, the Junker was able to make that ‘lie’ come true at the very end when he rescued her from the city, even if she did die in the process.

6 Likes

Right, I’m not denying that. I can’t see the beauty in Yumemi’s views or situation, but I can see how plot wise and in the situation of the world, she retained that hope that was important. However, her retaining that hope while enduring for all this time, and not doing anything to change her situation or position, is very sad and lonely. I know Yumemi is a robot, but she’s written as a person and with emotions and feelings, and just saying “you don’t have to worry or feel bad because she’s a robot” is almost like a scapegoat to that, for me. I know it shows she didn’t suffer per say, but as someone who had held onto hope and positivity in order not to break down to reality, I realized it did me more harm than good. As it can become an illusion that traps you. But again - this is the personal side of how Yumemi was written that I don’t want to get into.

And the lie is not telling Yumemi was is happening. It’s not hard to say, “Yumemi, the world is falling apart. But let’s fight to be the miracle.” Not just let her stay there and only hope for a miracle.

3 Likes

@Bernkastelle You hit the nail on the head on why I was frustrated and upset with Yumemi’s situation. The way she held on to the hope of a bright world while not doing anything to confirm the reality for herself is tragic. She waited there all alone, because she was unable to believe that her coworkers would return to her soon, and that’s another thing that distinguishes her to be a robot from a human - her absolute belief in their words and her innocence that nothing bad could happen to them in the world. Then again, it’s not truly their fault since they were heartbroken over having to leave her and tried to spare her pain. It’s an unfortunate situation all around. She trapped herself in an illusion based on her own beliefs and that hurts me on a personal level, and is something that makes her so sadly human.

I want to say that Yumemi would be strong enough to keep her bright perspective on the stars even after learning about the world but reality isn’t that kind. I know myself. However, this is where her being a robot comes in. Robots have perfect memories, unlike humans who forget the experiences and even the feelings of a wonderful time long gone and all they remember is that it made them happy and they don’t know how to reach for that again. If reality hurt her so much that she’d rather live in a lie, she could easily stay in a delusional state while replaying her happy experiences over and over until she feels better and able to be earnest and bright about the stars again. Imagine the junker witnessing Yumemi in a stagnant state while replaying her memories right after she so joyfully told him about the stars just because he said something upsetting about the world outside. Him being the one to help her to live with that reality in the end and still keep her happiness and her drive to assist others would have been really beautiful.

4 Likes

This. Absolutely this. Anytime the world changes, humanity will change as well, or vice-versa (as shown in planetarian’s world), but Yumemi represents a constant never changing force, and serves as a way to remind humanity about it’s past, and all it use to have, and also serves as proof that the past is never truly lost. In a way, Yumemi isn’t that different from the stars as she is used to bring hope to humanity and is never changing throughout time.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear, but I didn’t mean to insinuate that the only thing that is needed to cause the world to improve is belief – I do think there does need to be action, but I also think that action naturally stems from belief. If one believes the world can improve, it is only natural that they would perform actions that would attempt to prove their belief, while if someone didn’t believe that, they would have no reason to try, okay they might improve the world by accident or something along those lines, but at that point they would most likely acknowledge that they were wrong, and thus believe the world could improve (the argument could be made that they improved the world for another person and not themselves, causing them to still think the world can’t be improve but that’s too far down the rabbit hole for this – I think I’ve made my point clear enough). I think it also follows that this mentality is needed for one to perform actions so significant that they could cause the world to improve.

If we look at Yumemi, she believes in humanity and the world, but is restricted from inside the planetarium – if she left, what could she do? Her main way of conveying hope is through the stars. Now yes there is the possibility that if she left with her colleagues she might have been able to do that, but at the same time there is every possibility she may have died as well, either through attacks, or loss of power. Also, if you consider the events of Snow Globe – robots were starting to become hated by groups of people - if she left with her co-workers, she might have ended up being battered and destroyed, so it makes sense why they left her there. Now let’s consider the Junker – he is the ‘action’ part of the argument. He tries to take Yumemi out of the city to expose the world to her, because he believes that she can improve the world. Even with Yumemi dead, in Hoshi No Hito it’s stated that he is known for spending his life travelling to show people the stars, giving people hope - this is the action he is taking to improve the world because of what Yumemi gave him – the belief that the world can improve.

To be fair, the Junker did try to tell Yumemi that the world has fallen apart, humanity will never return to the planetarium, and a lot of other things along those lines, but she still remained the same. This brings up the concept of how one’s perception of the world affects their beliefs. Now I already discussed a potential reason why Yumemi doesn’t change over the course of the novel in my Snow Globe post, but I also want to talk about how Yumemi’s very human nature affects this. If you were to suddenly tell someone that everyone they knew were dead, humanity is facing extinction, the world is in ruins, and the only way to live is to scavenge for resources, then either one of two things might happen. The first possibility is they’d believe you, but given how much they had lost, they would give into despair – if they eventually recovered or not would be up to the person, but that’s a different point in itself. The second one is that they wouldn’t fully believe you, or they wouldn’t be able to comprehend the idea to its full extent, thus their attitude towards life wouldn’t change that significantly. Considering Yumemi’s nature, it follows that one of these two things would happen, and in my opinion it’s the latter. When the Junker tells Yumemi to make a choice solely based on what she’s seen of the world outside of the planetarium with him, she still believes that humanity will once again come back despite what she sees. To me this shows that she can’t process information in that way – she cannot adapt. Now whether this is due to her being a robot (imply that she wasn’t programmed to comprehend certain concepts) or whether this is due to something else like the events of Snow Globe is up for debate, but if the Junker just simply said to her ‘The world is falling apart. But let’s fight to be the miracle’, then she most likely would only parse the second part of that statement because that’s the way she is.

2 Likes

Oh man it’s been a while. Now that I’m in finals week I can finally write more posts instead of studying. I’m gonna be I guess going through different replies answering questions that I found before I finally get back to my normal analysis in probably my next post. Here’s the first thing I want to answer.

@HeliosAlpha essentially had the answer I agree with when he said,

Of course, I’m going to elaborate on this a bit more. There are several ways Jesus was different than any of the Old Testament leaders, judges, kings and prophets. Some of these include that he was the only one who could overcome sin and temptation (I’ll talk about this in another post later), he was the prophesied Savior (this too), and that he lived to serve those who were below him, humans essentially. Especially relevant here is the last part, which describes, a servant or slave. In Mark 10:35-45, two of Jesus’ disciples ask if they can sit at his right and left hand, which is basically asking if they can be his second and third in command. Jesus warns them of the trials that are to come but also says it is not his decision. He ends by saying, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” In case you didn’t know, Son of Man is just how Jesus refers to himself. So anyways, what does this mean? One of the notable things about Jesus is how he himself serves others and requires his disciples, his students, to do the same. Even if they know that they the followers of the King of all creation, the promised Savior, they still must be humble and submit to others and even become like slaves and serve others.

Bringing this back to planetarian, we see that Yumemi, as a robot obeying the three laws, is like a servant or slave. But also it’s interesting to note that Yumemi doesn’t just begrudgingly serve humans, she joyfully and willingly does. And this should be the same for Christians. But often even Christians forget this fact, but Jesus does not. So in terms of the actual story, I’d say that Yumemi is like Jesus because she was programmed to be a servant to humans no matter what. We don’t know exactly the list of directives that Yumemi has to follow, but in the end, the result looks very much like a certain other perfect human servant who also laid down his life for his friends.

3 Likes

While I do agree with this, it does also have some other connotations.

This is just me speculating, but if Yumemi is similar to Jesus because of her programming, the three laws of robotics, etc… then surely it must follow that in the pre-apocalyptic world of planetarian, any robot that shared similar code to Yumemi would have had a similar presence, thus it is likely that there were many robots that simultaneously existed that gladly served humans, and because of that, they might have that Jesus-esque presence too. Now one could argue that there’s nothing in world to suggest there are other robots like Yumemi, but in Snow Globe there are enough robots to make a notable amount of the population angry about them taking away jobs, so when you also consider balance of probability, it’d say it’s enough to at least ask the question. Basically what I’m trying to say is, if there were many robots that followed the three laws and wanted to happily serve humanity, etc… there were probably many other robots similar to Yumemi - so what makes her special?

Well there are actually several reasons. It is stated in Snow Globe that she is the first robot to comply to the three laws of robotics, so while she may not be the only robot that does this, she is most certainly the first, so it only follows that every robot that uses those laws follows on from her design, and thus it makes sense that if there were multiple Jesus-esque figures, then she could be considered the founder, or the origin of all those other robots. So she might have been ‘chosen’ to survive because she was the most ‘pure’ in following those beliefs.

In the events of Jerusalem we see that humans find ways to still implement the laws of robotics, but get around them by changing things such as the definition of ‘What is human?’, thus causing them to be less ‘pure’. It would only follow that many other robots had small other adjustments to alter the importance of the three laws, it’s even stated that there were way to change the priority of the 2nd and 3rd law in regards to other order, but not the first. Since Yumemi is built with the specific intention of incorporating the three laws, it follows that those are her highest priorities, unlike many other robots.

There’s also Yumemi’s working conditions. This is just me further speculating, but given the nature of robots, I can imagine that many machines were made to be treated as a slave by their owner, and that they didn’t have any regard to a robots ‘feelings’ because it was just a robot. Even in Jerusalem - Salinger treats all the robots around him as slaves, with no regards to their feelings, so this only emphasises how Yumemi is special because of the way she is treated. Yumemi on the other hand is treated as an equal by her co-workers. In the death scene where Yumemi shows all her memories, her co-workers show genuine concern for her - one of them even cries when thinking about leaving her. A similar notion is applied to all of Yumemi’s memories about customers, and how they thanked her. Despite being a robot - she has always been treated as a human. Even though she is a servant to humanity, she is never treated like it - her co-workers cared for her, worried about her, and loved her.

So while I do agree that it’s partially because of her nature as a robot that she’s seen as a Jesus figure in terms of the story, I also think there are more potential reasons to differentiate her from other robots, which is also another thing that feeds into that argument.

2 Likes