Planetarian - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of good visuals in a story. A very good writer/director would know how to make use of visuals not just to set the mood and themes of the story, but also drive the story forward. And it’s also advertising: people will still judge the book by its cover.

Besides, a lot of people wouldn’t pick up most of Key works because they don’t like Hinoue’s art (which is unfortunate, because her art isn’t that bad, and if we actually look beyond her art style, we’d notice how meticulous she is as an artist).

Of course, we can always want a great story with great visuals. Just look at Fate/zero or Bones anime. Or Ghibli for the matter. Or if the Planetarian adaptation turns out well, with that beautiful art, we have this.

I’d be looking forward to Planetarian BTW. :>

1 Like

P.S. Hinoue wasn’t the artist forplanetarian xD

1 Like

Whoops, I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. XD

But I like the design <3

In the game I always pay attention to Yumemi ribbon…it’s changes color everytime she feel sad, happy, etc…(or maybe it’s just my imagination I don’t know…but I always pay attention to details stuff)

1 Like

Uh ??? You do realize that’s not the main reason right ? Key visual novels are popular. If a studio messes it up, it gives that studio a bad label & reputation. The formatting of most Key work’s is also a problem for animation studio’s. Then you also have budget problems, and trying to “put in everything” together. You also have those fans who wants everything to be perfect in the adaption.
Plus, most people are only saying Hinoue’s art is bad by talking about Kanon’s Art. They’re not even looking at her other art (close minded people).

But anyways. Wow Planetarian has great visuals. The very fact that they’ve only planned 5 episodes and a ONA release, shows how much thought they’ve put into Planetarian. They could just milk it out and choose to do a 13 episode anime where everything drag’s out, or a movie where things might be rushed (depending on time constraints), but they decide to do something that would be beneficial to Planetarian.
Of course it hasn’t come out yet, but I’m very thankful that we have a Planetarian anime after 12 whole years. Seeing chapter 16 getting animated will be the thing I’m most excited for. Finally seeing a design for Kuzuya is also something I’m thankful for. (Whenever I tried imagining the Junker, I thought he’d look like Chaa from Angel Beats!)
We also have new OST !!! Time to get the piano ready to play new OST’s :slight_smile: And a Lia OP !!! Ohh I hope she sings or at least teases it at the KSL Concert.

I’m glad that we’re getting Hoshi No Hito as a movie though. Serving as a conclusion to the story.
I’m doubtful we’ll get the other Drama CD’s since it doesn’t incorporate the 2 main characters, but it would be nice to see the first 2 Drama CD’s as a film, and the last one as a EXTRA.

1 Like

I’m late to the topic I think. Anyways he already did have a name. Don’t you remember? It was Okyakusama. It’s a very nice name if you ask me. Like really, the meaning of his name just gels so well with the story of the VN you don’t even notice he has a name. I understand your mistake, I didn’t know he had a name either, but when I reread the VN a few days ago, I noticed it was there right in front of me the entire time. I thought to myself, “How could I be so stupid to miss that?” Long story short, his name isn’t Kuzuya, it’s Okyakusama.

14 Likes

What chapter ?

Those are the type of people I keep myself as far away as possible from and brace myself with a can of pepper spray in the unfortunate situation I ever have to be in their presence.

You’re pinning everything that goes wrong on a studio…? Errrr… I mean I addressed this earlier, but you should know that a studio’s animation staff alone is only responsible for part of the process.

Producing anime is multifaceted with numerous different parties involved. An adaptation will almost always be supervised by the original writers of the source, so if something turns out badly it usually goes through them first to be approved. (As is the case with Rewrite at the moment from what we’ve seen)

Define “budget” please.[quote=“Totoro_Futaki, post:82, topic:2590”]
They’re not even looking at her other art (close minded people).
[/quote]

Assessing artwork is purely subjective interpretation. One person’s trash is another person’s masterpiece. That’s kind of disrespectful to pass it off as “close minded”. Some people just aren’t a fan of Itaru’s work.

Literally every chapter, Yumemi calls him “okyakusama”

6 Likes

I don’t think that necessarily means that it’s his name. Did he ever actually introduce his name to her ? My minds foggy cause the first few chapters was a bit boring.

Of course not, but most anime-only watchers blame the studio who’s labeled as the animation studio. There’s less than 25% who will actually research the topic and roles that each person plays.

Western anime fans maybe, but we hardly matter. Japanese fans who can effortlessly read credits in OPs, follows these people on twitter and read interviews are going to be infinitely more involved in the people behind the curtain. Even a casual just watching on TV will see the names once per episode unless they’re late. Just by remembering the director’s name, which is almost always the last thing shown in the opening credits, they’re already miles ahead of plebeians over here.

1 Like

Isn’t “Kuzuya” just what ended up being translated into “Junker” or “Junk Hunter” depending on what translation you’re reading?

4 Likes

Yes, I think Junker has the closest meaning

I think everybody here probably imagined Mr. Customer looking pretty different, too. Even I got in on the act way back when, back when all my art and writing creations had to include Yumemi (instead of now, when an expy suffices) and made up a square-jawed middle-aged man who looked like Sam Gideon and talked in his same heavy smoker’s growl.

Oddly enough, he looks almost exactly as I imagined him. Minus the very, very blue eyes.

That’s probably just me, but it was definitely surprising. :yahaha:

Admittedly that was partially out of wanting to do fanworks involving Yumemi in a futuristic setting, and wanting to really make a father-daughter relationship out of the continuation of things, so maybe I did that for selfish reasons.

After hearing his voice, I definitely had a younger impression of The Junker. I dunno how I feel about his military outfit though, I was expecting something a bit more telling of the postapocalyptic setting.

2 Likes

Wasn’t he in the military though?

As a child soldier, sure.

I think the age is right, I just think this Junker looks maybe a bit too pretty.