Planetarian Anime - Episode 5 "Yumemi's Wish"

Discussion topic for the fifth episode of the planetarian ~Chiisana Hoshi no Yume~ anime which aired on August 4, 2016. All references to outside works and future episodes must be marked with a [spoiler] tag.

You can catch the series on Funimation’s website in North America.

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

aaaaaaaaaaaa that was awesome.
I gotta say everything in this episode was awesome. It made me feel what I felt when I finished playing the VN,
and nice use of the music.

I know that adopting Planetarian wasn’t that hard compared with longer VNs, but still they did a great job adopting it in my opinion. animating the most important parts and skipping unnecessary parts really well.
I’m definitely satisfied with the anime, can’t wait to watch the movie!

4 Likes

I’d like to praise the use of The Junkers pendant, as the ‘cross’ metaphor is just perfect here with Yumemi’s sacrifice. Also that little continuation after with Junker crossing the wall and meeting those men was awesome, I feel like I had been waiting for that scene since reading the visual novel.
However the choice of music was way off. Adding the soundtrack ‘Human Warrior’ when it was removed from the visual novel, because in my belief it was removed for being too energetic and removed the anxiousness that the battle had and removing ‘Perfect Human’ I really don’t get.

2 Likes

This episode, no, this series, was pretty amazing. All of them total to about 1.5 hours, which would make this a pretty decent film by itself, but separating the story by episodes was able to bring about tension that I think added to the series very well.

For episode 5, specifically, I once again loved the directing choices made, especially in the final scene, as yumemi slowly runs out of power. Hearing her voice starting to crackle, reminding us of her artificial existence, while providing the stark contrast between her absolutely human voice and intentions simply broke my heart and provided every imaginable emotion I could have asked from this scene. The rain forming in her eyes like tears was, while done very well in the VN’s CGs, was also extremely impactful in the series.

The only gripe I had with it was the scene of yumemi getting shot. It happened in a very abstract way which, I feel, brought away a lot of the tension. You don’t figure out why Yumemi is going to the fiddler crab, and you remain speechless as she is gunned down. Perhaps that’s exactly what the junker felt as it happened? But it’s a bit hard to say, and I think that left me with a little bit less powerful mindset to prepare for the final scene.

7 Likes

Ah, man. This adaptation was absolutely stunning. The directing, the animation, the accuracy to the VN, the small original touches, the OST, just… everything about it. Of course, while making something like this absolutely perfect is impossible, I don’t think anyone could’ve asked for more. It far, far exceeded my expectations.

Of course, it would’ve been nice to see the memory of the two children who lost their parents, and some more of the explanatory stuff, but in the end, it really wasn’t necessary.

I was expecting “Perfect Human” to play,(and this is the only real issue I have with this episode), I really, really loved the sense of hopelessness and despair that it portrayed in the original. That song still gives me chills, to this day. Although, having the more emotional music playing also worked very well in it’s own way.

Let’s all look forward to the adaptation of Hoshi No Hito, and prepare the tear buckets. :komue:

1 Like

So now that episode 5 is done… What exactly is gonna happen with Worlds Pain!!!

2 Likes

Junker’s hotness will never die but I cried again.

3 Likes

This series was really good. As for this episode, I was really divided on whether to give this a 5 or 4 because 4 feels too low even though the way…

…was shown legit bothered me too. Can I like give it a 4.5 instead? XD

Eh, I’ll give it a five anyway. This series has been doing a lot of things right for me. The final scene wasn’t as emotional as I thought it would get (I don’t exactly know why) but it still gave me shivers, and was still really good overall.

Odds are it was really only meant to be used for the PV. :((

And so the curtains come to a close,

What a ride this has been.

This episode was executed perfectly. And although it seems out of place for Yumemi-chan to walk towards the crab bot, I think that that was how it was in the VN too. (There didn’t seem to be a need for Yumemi to go, but I think, Asimov’s laws are kicking in - she couldn’t stand by idly to let our Junker (*ahem Stargazer) get harmed).

I guess she’s a little broken after all.

It hurts though, when she said “everything’s broken”. I hope we will never find ourselves in a world so broken.

And without fail, I cried at the end as I had before. *Manly tears

Planetarian is a story. That reminds us of many things. It’s a story, that reminds us to look up at the night sky - something that few of us have the privilege and the time to do nowadays. And it’s a story that questions what we define as human.

But I think Yumemi would have us remember that we’re in this together on this small world right?

Stars, right?

In the end though, I think Yumemi left for us something bigger than her small existence. She left for us a reminder,

“Look up at the night sky.”

“Why don’t you come to the planetarium?
The beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what…
All the stars in the sky are waiting for you.”

When you do, you’ll realize how small we truly are. (That tiny light dot is Earth btw) (pic:The day the earth smiled)

Planetarian has a special place in my heart. And it’s a story I find myself coming back to all the time.

[spoiler]Just to end off, I thought I’d share some fandom since I’m sure you guys probabbly can’t wait till the movie comes out:

A cool fanfiction that serves as an epilogue: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?50377-Planetarian-Fanfiction-The-Reverie-of-a-Perfect-Heaven

yukizakurasou - GentleJena ~Hikari no Kioku, Chuu no Umareru Basho~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5NzaZq_0E&ab_channel=CloveredCinnamon [/spoiler]

edit 1: I hid all the spoiler-rish stuff. Hope that satisfies the editors.

3 Likes

That sums me up pretty well.

A beautiful adaptation of a short, but amazing visual novel. I don’t think I could have asked for much better.

This was pretty much the perfect adaptation, better than I ever could’ve hoped for. I’m so thankful to all the staff who helped make this anime finally happen.

I’d also like to take a moment, now that everyone has finished the series, to mention the planetarian bookclub we held earlier on in Kazamatsuri’s life.

http://kazamatsuri.org/planetarian-bookclub/

If you want our thoughts on some of the deeper messages hidden in planetarian’s writing, I think you’ll be really impressed with what the community managed to dig up. For even more, you can check out our planetarian general discussion topic. If you loved planetarian, then you’re bound to love our analysis of it. It’s really good stuff.

Aight.

Good adaptation, solid stuff really, also confirmed something I’ve thought for a while.

We didn’t really need it, planetarian is not a story that is enhanced by animation, by all means, we just saw, it hardly changes, the VN already had all the tools needed to maximize the.
I don’t have any issues with this, really, this is a nice tool to use to get people who would otherwise not experience plantetarian to experience it. It’s a nice way to experience planetarian again in a slightly different way. It’s just as a reader, it did nothing to wow me, it’s really just ‘yep that’s planetarian alright’.

1 Like

Really? I frankly thought the opposite. The focus on Yumemi’s HUD, zooming in on her eyes which looked like cameras, the crackling in her voice as she started to run out of power… All things that I believe weren’t shown in the VN but improves the overall experience

I agree with you on that note. The animation seemed to focus more on Yumemi’s being a robot than the visual novel did, which I feel brought out her character. The show overall did a very good job of following the story while adding little pieces like those, variations of the soundtrack, and even just the Junker’s expressions.

However, for me the show didn’t really feel like it had as much tension in the battle scene. That may be just because I knew the outcome, but the visual novel seemed to draw me in more at that scene. And I was disappointed that the story behind the two kids wasn’t included even though they were mentioned.

Overall, I think that both the visual novel and the animation are fantastic, and each has its perks. I’m highly anticipating the movie adaptation of Hoshi no Hito.

2 Likes

I was a little late in watching the episode so I can now formulate my thoughts together. I think I can say like what everyone has mentioned that this was by far the best and most emotional episode ever. :sob: I could not even stop my tears from flowing because of the moment when Yumemi was explaining why she wanted heaven not to be divided into two and her memories of all the customers she met in the planetarium, as well as the staff that had to leave her crushed my heart into pieces.

This episode delivered exactly just like the VN and I also like to thank david production for doing an awesome job for the time and hard efforts they invested in making one of the best adaptations from Key and making us as feel that the night sky is something not to be taken granted for provided we remember that we are not alone in this world. The music was superbly excellent, especially with another new arrangement of “Gentle Jena” and the ED for “Song of Circling Stars”, and it made the emotional impact even far better to me. I know it said it was to use “Human Warrior” for that particular scene after her death to make the situation feel hopeless and the way she was slowly losing her batteries would have provided a sense of grief and futility as she explained that she was a little broken knowing that the staff who have built her would never come back.

I have truly loved this series for the characters, music, and the animation that made this Key work so well done and it made me look back at how I enjoyed the VN a lot more than before. I can’t wait to see the movie adaptation myself and I’m so looking forward to it. :smile:

1 Like

Nah the VN had her voice shift.

Nope.
It showed more of her being a robot yeah, but the VN goes to great lengths to describe Yumemi being a robot, often making reference to the clear whirring sound being made when she cocks her head.
That sound being absent from the Anime slightly miffed me actually. It presented it differently, but I don’t think the Anime did any better or worse a job of stressing that she is a robot.

Thanks Key…you nailed it…I cried twice now…

I don’t want to see Mr. Junker cry like this…

Also because of anime…I can see yumemi’s organ…it’s depressing…

Yumemiii…

1 Like

Like all KEY Anime, this has definitely left me stunning. Though I do not shed tears (I have like, no heart,) this was a pretty good.