Philosophyz Anime ver. Preview!

screams uncontrollably

i…can’t…wait…anymore…

The upside is that there’s a stronger contrast between the verse and the chorus intensity-wise, and it would totally suit an anime OP.

The downside is probably that the overdrive guitar sounded more synthetic than before.

Can’t say for sure if I like this more than the original, but I like it anyway.

I will have to wait and see what the op will look like to go with this new sound before I can really say if I like it more. It sets a bit of a different tone so I’d like to see where that goes first. On a purely sound level though, I really loved the intro as it builds up into the verse. That just sounds amazing. The verse itself sounds really empty without the guitar and it makes me pretty sad. Although the empty verse does make it more satisfying when everying comes together for the chorus. Does anyone else find it to be a weird choice for the ending bit to be an octave down (I think it’s an octave down. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.) from the rest of the song?

Purely basing on the emotion evoked on the first listening, the anime version seems to have lost the ‘in a super desperate situation but keeps on fighting/walking whatever it comes’ kind of feeling compared to the original. Well, I believe the full version will make the comparison more fair, and if added in the visual animation, it will probably be better.

This sounds more like a game-version, while the original sounds more like an anime-version to be honest.

Great song at least.

i don’t think i like this more than the original, the voice sounds a bit emotionless in some parts compared to the original , i just don’t feel the same way when i liste to this and when listening to the original

anyways i can’t wait any longer to watch the anime adaption :worried:

Am I the only one who’s secretly hoping to see something like the CLANNAD or AIR anime OP’s for Rewrite ? Where you introduce each heroine, before starting to show the great content that’ll be in the anime ? I could see it working

You show some visuals for the guitar intro
Then when the vocals start in the song, you introduce Kotori with her name and scenery in the background. Then you show Chihaya afterwards. Then Lucia. Then Shizuru. Then the Pre-Chorus starts and you introduce Akane, then Kagari. Then proceed with showing cameo’s of the other secondary characters for the rest of the pre-chorus, then when the chorus hits, you go all out with the OP.

I guess you can switch Kotori and Akane though. Cause of the roles.

It would be nice to also see that again, after 8 whole years in Key history for anime’s. But even if it’s not like that, Rewrite has a bunch of content that can fit the OP easily.

I agree this version feels somewhat softened a little compared to the game version. But after several plays I can see why I actually like the new version nonetheless, there are a few delicate touches here and there, being instrumental as well as melodic, one noticeable example is polyphony added to the intro from 00:08 to 00:20, which made the melody sound slightly more colorful, together with all the other changes, I think it makes the song more suitable for the anime ^^

1 Like

Yep, it’s definitely giving off a completely different feel.

The middle part has a lively “peaceful everyday” kind of atmosphere (would go well with a photo montage of kids having fun together), then things accelerate (enter supernatural elements).

It’s different from the kinda deep, mysterious feel of the original, like a legend being told.

Looking forward to the full version.
I’m usually not at all optimistic about this adaption, but hearing this intro made my day!

2 Likes

I cant decide which one I “like better”, but this new one is definitely even more fitting for an anime OP. The thing to remember is that because anime openings are so short, they have to “build the hype” much more strongly, and more quickly.

First, compared to the original, this version starts more brightly, using a much more synth-y guitar. And then come the trumpets. I just love the trumpets in this version, theyre so exciting. Dont know why (might have something to do with having played the trumpet myself) but I always feel so invigorated by trumpets in openings like this (see Scarlet, Hikaru Nara, etc.).

Second, I cannot say for sure since we havent seen the opening itself yet, but its very possible that the emptier verse (taking out the distinct, harsh ele. guitar and the drums) is going to fit better with the visuals. I really like that defined base line, and I think that removing the drums and having only cymbals for a verse has a great effect for when the drums are brought back in to build up to the chorus.

Speaking of drums, possibly my favorite part of this anime version how they sound less like a drum synth and more like real drums. Not only that, but the drums took on many more rhythms in this version to replace the rhythms originally played by deeper synths (Im guessing to make the song feel “lighter”). Im a bit of a drum nut though, so I may be the only one who cares about that.

By the way, as I was taking my time thinking about this, I realized that the same style of anime version OPs is consistent across all Key adaptations. All the anime OPs seem to be more flashy and more flat, while VN OPs seem to be smoother and bolder. Interesting, to say the least!

7 Likes

While that sort of thing works really well for a VN, I can’t say the same for anime. Like, I recently rewatched the AIR opening and realized how disinteresting I found the opening because it focused on characters equally.

For anime, I feel like an OP that focused more on the worls itself then gave a little individual screentime to the characters would be best~

Air might not be the best example. CLANNAD & After Story are stunning doing it though.

But hey, either way, at least we’ll get content.

eiuagfnawfdtyoe wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Man I love Philosophyz. As other people mentioned, it does sound softer with the removal of the electric guitar(I think it’s that) and a couple of the notes from the riff at the end being changed. I agree that the calmer section allows the song to build excitement faster.

Weird nitpick, but I wish that the final line, “konno uta wo” was replaced with “sonno subete”(from the second chorus). I just kinda like the meaning more.

Philosophyz plays in certain scenes in the VN, typically at “high stakes” or “epic” moments, so I can’t help but wonder if they’re going to use that version there. Since I found that the anime version didn’t invoke as strong an emotional response from me, I wonder if they’re going to have a different version, or play the VN version, or stick with the “softer” anime one.

2 Likes

I could definitely see them continuing to use the Guitar Ver. from the VN as-is. It would be instantly recognizable; while offering a relatively stark contrast to the actual OP.

It also works really well for the high-intensity moments; as demonstrated by the various scenes in the Chihaya route of the VN.

1 Like

I had to listen to it a few times to really make up my mind, but I really like this new version after all. Partially because of how clear the vocals shine through now that the background instruments have been toned down a bit, and partially because I’m a sucker for songs with more quiet-loud dynamics, and this version certainly fits that description more than the original.

I still have a few worries for this adaptation, but the more that’s revealed the more optimistic I feel that we’re going to get something good. Less than a couple weeks until we find out for sure (I’m especially looking forward to seeing how they animate the opening).

5 Likes

Nobody here has mentioned it yet, but it seems like this version has taken quite a few notes from MintJam’s rendition of Philosophyz. Most notably, the progression in the chorus from quiet to super energetic.

3 Likes

I do like this version, though not as much as the original one. Though its hard because I adore Philosophyz, so I’d struggle to have it beaten.

I’ve always liked Philosophyz more than Rewrite.

2 Likes

Well I finally got to listen to this version of Philosophyz and I really liked it, though I can’t say which version I prefer at the moment. I do like how this version has a quiet-loud dynamics, quite reminiscent of some of the alt-rock songs of the 90s. Not to mention, the guitar intro in the beginning along with the chorus is freaking awesome but then again, the guitar intro and chorus of Philosophyz has always been awesome. :smile:

1 Like

In my opinion, this version of Philosophyz fits the anime more. The same happened with Little Busters in the past.

3 Likes

Which is probably why I like it. :kurumu:

Yeah, I still don’t know which version I like more, but the fact that it’s hard to decide means they did a good job on this new version. If it can compete at all with the original Philosophyz at all then it must be pretty good.