Persona - Series Discussion

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are very similar in terms of gameplay. The English version is dubbed, dunno if Japanese is an option. You can start with any game, although there are some really loose ties and references here and there. Nothing you’d miss out on.

P3P is pretty awesome, and the option of playing the female protagonist gives decent incentive to replay the game and see some new stuff. I’d highly recommend it.

Yeah the Personas normally come in pairs that are loosely tied to each other but only as far as cameo’s you could pick up 4 without 3 no problem at all. I would recommend P3P its great. The only thing I would advise staying away from with your console set up is Persona Q for the 3ds that is one you wouldn’t want to play before playing 3 and 4.

Bring on P4U2 2.0 aw yiss

I have Persona 4 and P3P, and they’re some of my favorite video games. I remember I cleared all of P3P in about a month (record time, considering how awful I am at RPGs sometimes) because I just couldn’t put it down. Persona 4 took longer, but it was still a solid experience. I don’t think I could pick a favorite between the two of them though, because they both had strengths and weaknesses in different places.

Also, Yukiko is best P4 girl, and Fuuka is probably best P3 girl. Just saying.

Ahhh I love me some Yamagishi, but I can’t ignore Aegis being amazing. ;_;

Well, Aegis is in a VERY close second. If I didn’t have a connection with Fuuka, she would be my favorite, without a doubt.

1 Like

WOO! PERSONA!!
I’ve played P3 and am currently playing P4. It didn’t take much for P3 to become one of my favourite games considering it made me put everything else I was doing on hold, which rarely happens to me when i play something.

So far the biggest difficulty I’ve encountered in Persona 4 were the first bosses that seemed a lot tougher in comparison with the ones in the previous game and deciding on who the best girl is (both Chie and Yukiko are really nice picks).
Regarding Persona 3 i believe we can all agree that Aegis as well as Fuuka are up there in the waifu rankings.

PS: Yukari sucks

1 Like

Oh yeah I should throw the new P5 trailer in here

and the english P4DAN trailer

1 Like

Let’s kick off the TGS Info Dump discussion then, now that everything’s available.

First up, the bad news. P5 has been delayed to Summer 2016 in Japan and TBA 2016 in NA/EU. That’s a nine month delay. RIP.

But hey it’s to make it even more hype so worth? Hashino has confirmed Persona 5 is already the biggest title in the franchise gameplay-wise and they want to add even more stuff they want to do with it. Trailer drop.

So, Personae confirmations:

Phantom - Arsene
Anne - Carmen
Ryuuji - Captain Kidd
Morgana - Zorro
Yusuke - Goemon

Yusuke Kitagawa is the fifth party member, the one that was teased in the original trailer’s credits. Speaking of which, there’s a fifth human member running down the pyramid with the group, though this time we have a lot less information to go on (can’t even see his Thief design, whereas we knew Yusuke was a Fox-themed character).

Next, Opening Theme with Vocals, performed by Lyn.

They also announced two other things during the event; Persona 5 will be getting an anime adaption of sorts, and there will be a big Persona 20th Anniversary event with details coming later.

Oh, and lastly. The Velvet Twins names are Caroline and Justine.

Alright, so I have recently become a huge Persona fanatic but there is one thing I have seen on this topic so far that I can’t really understand: all of the Yukari hate.

Now I think Yukari is the best character/girl in Persona 3 and I figured I would give my own perspective on her character and why I think she is very underrated.

Heavy spoilers for the Answer and the Journey, to those who haven’t yet played them.

One point that is continuously brought up about her character is that her actions in the Answer, (spoilers if you haven’t played or watched that): that because she wanted to bring Minato back and acted so selfishly and irrationally, hurting others feelings in the process. Well, I think that there is a lot more context and framing going on here that people fail to mention.

There is indeed a fundamental difference between many of the various relationships in Persona 3 amongst Minato and the rest of the cast that was thoroughly examined in both the Journey and especially the Answer. In the case of Akihiko and Ken, they were all good friends. However, they both lost loved ones, either parents or close friends. However, in game, these deaths were important to their respective character arcs in terms of their character arc. Akihiko and Ken learned to move on without them, despite their grief and pain. However, in the relationship between our main character and Akihiko and Ken, they were all friends, nothing more. They still had a relatively close relationship, but they understood that despite their own feelings of sadness and pain from losing a friend, they needed to stand their ground and not go back in time to fight Nyx again.

Now, what does this have to do with Yukari? Simple, her actions, while selfish and hurtful, are also sympathetic and human. She has a very different kind of relationship between her and Minato compared to Ken and Akihiko, as Yukari and Minato are essentially the canon couple in the game, as far as the story is concerned. Romantic love will drastically change many things in a person, especially when that loved one dies. She has spent the most time with Minato in terms of pure scenes in the game, meaning she would naturally be more attached to Minato compared to Akihiko and Ken.

In the Answer itself, it brings forth an interesting and well-written dilemma. And often times what people sometimes forget while watching and playing these events is we don’t try and put ourselves in other character shoes. Would we have been so brave and wise to go back to the present and never be able to see our loved ones again? As for myself, I completely sympathize with how Yukari feels and even though she didn’t express her emotions in a healthy way, the feeling of regret, guilt, and sadness she felt for not being able to save her loved one from his demise must be heartbreaking.

And even if you ignore the Answer, there is still one scene I will refer to to show she is more than just your typical high school girl; this scene is certainly one of the more profound and emotional scenes in the game, at least in my opinion. That scene is:

when Mitsuru’s father died, she was feeling completely hopeless, scared, lonely and devastated. It was certainly the first time we have seen her feel this way. Yet, who was it who helped her realize she wasn’t as alone as she felt and was there for unconditional support? Yukari. She also had to deal with the loss of her father and so she showed care and sympathy for her friend when she needed it the most. She went from the girl who was fairly weak and didn’t really know why she bothered to fight to a more mature character willing to be there for a friend in need. Sure, her actions in the Answer at first glance wouldn’t seem to reaffirm her being mature but it all fairness, her time in the Abyss of Time was one of great loss, stress, and uncertainty. Her reaction, while irrational, was one that given the situation, was still understandable. Her romantic affiliations with Minato would naturally affect her better judgment even more so than others, which is only natural. Even the normally rational and less emotional Mitsuru sided with Yukari’s feelings.

This is my short character study on the character, anyway. She is one of my favourite characters in Persona, though I can get why she is a contentious one. Still, I firmly stand by that she is best girl in Persona 3, though I also do cherish Aigis.

Yukari looks cool, so I like her. She was the only guiding figure for most of the game, so she was easy to like, and she (along with Junpei) got a good amount of establishing time before charadev was started.
I played P3P so I never played the Answer, but on that front, I ain’t got no problems with her acting how most Persona characters act. Pretty sure the point of Persona is to capture the moments before, during and after irrationality, as a study of how it changes people. How the expectations and pressure put on people causes them to change drastically and either buckle or lash out, praying for someone to notice and empathize, ever knowing that they are inextricably tied to a facade only revealed through the power of big green penis demons. Though I ain’t a Persona guy, so maybe I’m wrong.
Still, the girl had something going on, and that’s more than I can say for a lot of the P3 cast.