Owari no Hoshi no Love Song 10. Hifukiyama no Mahoutsukai (The Sorcerer of the Volcano)

Discussion topic for Track 10 of Owari no Hoshi no Love Song: Hifukiyama no Mahoutsukai (The Sorcerer of the Volcano). Please support the official release by purchasing the album from iTunes! You can find a translation of the lyrics on ShiraneHito’s blog.
Please tag references to later songs or outside works with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

What would you rate this song?

0 voters

Waheeeey I forgot this song had a video! And I forgot to post that video! Well, to be fair, this song isn’t on flaming june’s official youtube so i don’t exactly know if we should distribute the video online…

Aaaaanyways this is a great song! I just remembered after hearing it again but this is actually my favorite song on the album (yes, more than muteki no soldier). Super catchy melody, intense arrangement, and powerful vocals make it such a treat to listen to.

Not much to add to the story though; it’s pretty ironic how the boy, who wanted to be a magician to save someone, ended up being the one who needed to be saved by the girl, who now became a magician.

One craaaazy theory I have though. The boy became a diamond at the end by the girl’s wishes, right? And she made that wish on a magical sparkling stone, right? Get the connection? :yahaha: so yeah, maybe this whole magic stone affair is a loop that anyone who chases for it ends up becoming the next stone. Yet another irony in this forsaken world.

4 Likes

So this entire thing has super interesting connotations for the ruined world.

Namely, look at that sky! When the climb the mountain, it’s pure blue, with lush greenery below them.
The song is so hopeful, it shows the world isn’t entirely Fist of the North star, there are places that look fine.

oh shit it’s a dragon

So Imma just jerk it to a part of this song that is soooo cool. The dragons roar at 2:33. You notice it? It’s not too loud, it doesn’t interrupt the music at all, but it’s there, the dragon roars to signal it’s appearance and you hear it. This is good, this helps weave the song and story together seamlessly and I think it’s such a neat little touch.

Overall it’s a rather curious setting for the album, it’s very fantasy with magic and dragons which is somewhat at odds with most of the album but at the end of the day, someone dies so it fits right in.

Music is cool too, I like the…I think it’s a string instrument at the start?

4 Likes

I think it’s synthetic strings playing as a really soft melody at the intro. I could be wrong and they’re actual strings, but I’m not entirely convinced that it’s that. ^^;

It’s not a favorite, but this is a nice song. I especially like the chorus. ZEN’s art is among his better ones here. What I’m curious about is what does the ending (aka boy being turned to diamond and after that) could possibly mean thematically? That’s still bugging me.

I love the powerful opening of the video, it gets me every time. This one is a definite favorite of mine.

Anyways, this song is pretty similar to Ark for the Two of us. People go on a journey, someone dies (for the sake of comparison) and the survivor carries on with the other (dead) person’s dream. So, same message as that song.

@pepe again with the masterful theories! I noticed that the video opens and closes with the same whirly flame effect, which supports your theory.

I’m gonna take a shot in the dark and say that it means the girl has to work harder at being a magician. If she had studied beforehand (or maybe was smarter) she could’ve wished that the boy be teleported home or something. Yet she makes an “imperfect” wish that he be turned into a diamond. In this case, it’s a little ironic that her imperfect wish made something “perfect,” a diamond.

1 Like

This was one of my first thoughts after listening to this song. I think this circle of life theme can be seen in many of Key’s works.