Opinion: Everyone calm down, there's no new CLANNAD project

Seems like half the internet is having heart palpitations after the "announcement" that a new CLANNAD project is scheduled to be announced at Anime Japan 2017. The source of the news cited is the Anime Japan list of traders, which features CLANNAD as one of the booths. If I may

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kazamatsuri.org/opinion-everyone-calm-down-theres-no-new-clannad-project/
4 Likes

Great opinion article! And definitely something I’d like to see more of :slight_smile: I know I can’t do these kinds of things because I always like to stick to only facts hahaha.

Now to put in my own opinion… CLANNAD (along with little busters, angel beats, and rewrite) are listed on the Anime Japan website under “List of Products”. So the only thing I can conclude? They’re gonna sell shit.

Pikatto anime actually confirmed this. They’ve added a picture on their booth at the anime japan website:

Pikatto anime often sells angel beats and little busters goods at events like comiket, so I’m not surprised they are selling here. I’ve never seem them sell CLANNAD goods though! So will it be them? Or another booth? I dunno lol. Only time will tell~

Selling Dango’s? They better be as big as the originals cause those miniature Dango’s are unforgivably small.

I’m hoping they announce Rewrite’s Oppai OVA there. The 1 new anime content I’m sure of to be the most likely.

But as someone in the other thread said, it may be cast interviews about the show. That would be something that I’d be interested in. Hearing what those VA’s have to say about the characters they played, and how it had impacted them.

Though I wouldn’t say there’s “Nothing new” coming. For all we know, Hinoue could have worked with Visual Arts again for this small thing, if it’s merchandising properties, whether it’s just new art or something. Jun Maeda and Shinji Orito may have remastered some tracks from the VN and Anime, and plan to release it. I’d love to hear a remastered OST. And their affiliations with other companies and studios can’t necessarily be predicted.

1 Like

actually what I said was

and that was when I thought it was simply “Clannad will be at Anime Japan” not “Clannad will be at a booth at Anime Japan” that kind of thing would be a cast interview. Also I was just listing announcements that had the faintest possibility of happening.

look at what KyoAni’s done in the last few years. Everything post Hyokka has been either 1. Anime original 2. Adapted from a light novel KyoAni publishes or 3. Sound Euphonium which was adapted from a novel published by a company not involved in anime (not Kadokawa or Shueisha for example). The only two exceptions are Ms. Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid which appears more to be a rescue by KyoAni than actually being their project and A Silent Voice which who knows how long it’s been in the works? It was announced in Nov 2014 so work had started before that.

I don’t think it’s a matter of VA’s/Key’s relationship with KyoAni but more they’ve moved to working on projects they control. All Haruhi is getting for its 10th anniversary this year is an art book and a new single.

I’ve already shared my opinion in the article. I don’t believe in any way that anything we’ve seen hints toward a Tomoyo After anime happening any time in the future. Of course, I want to see it as much as anybody, but there’s absolutely no evidence pointing to such an announcement.

The evidence you’ve provided is all completely circumstantial. An English-language Steam release could not possibly have any bearing on the status of of an anime adaptation intended for Japanese audiences. Your point about the daffodils being a march and 10th anniversary flower is the strangest leap in logic I’ve ever heard. I could pick apart how Daffodils are for wedding anniversaries, not general anniversaries, among any other innumerable number of problems with your strange theory, but perhaps the most glaring is that Daffodils aren’t even featured prominently in Tomoyo After. She just happens to have a wreath of assorted flowers.

Please stop using bizarre conspiracy theories to justify your belief in a Tomoyo After anime adaptation, and please stop spamming our forum with links to your reddit post. I’ll never say never, but please give some thought to your speculations before sharing them here.

The most likely scenario is that it’s just a booth set up to sell Dango plushies and other merch.

5 Likes

I don’t believe anything Clannad themed is coming, but you’re making a bit of a stretch there. They probably aren’t doing anything on the anime front, but to say the company has no influence on itself is ridiculous.

I think the problem with the daffodil connection is that they’d have had to planned 10 years in advance, which they obviously aren’t gonna do. They may or may not have noticed the coincidence and just rolled with it, but I don’t think the daffodil thing is meaningful. If anything, the trend of bringing old titles into the anime scene (planetarian + Kud Wafter) is the only realistic chain to follow when arguing for a TA anime.

1 Like

I don’t understand where you get the daffodils. Just from looking at pictures on google, the main features of yellow daffodils seems to be six folded out petals and a large folded up thing (I’m not a botanist okay) in the middle. That seems very different from the flowers on the cover art. The scene in question also only seemed to refer to them as flowers.

Of course, Key has some influence of when an anime is made. However, in a scenario where they need to gather funds for an anime, the steam release is worth next to nothing. The steam version doesn’t even have Japanese text available as an option. Even if it did, I doubt that would bring in enough money to warrant an anime. If they made an anime, they’d probably combine it with a vita release or something.

Either way, I don’t give a flying fuck. This is a worthless farce originating from an idiot with a blog saying: “Lol, maybe they’ll make more Clannad?”, and obviously Reddit lit up like a Christmas tree over that. This isn’t something to be discussed. It is something that should be vigorously stomped into the ground until people are ashamed to even think about it.

1 Like

When did I speak of money? I responded to Aspirety’s judgement that the company’s dealings in the anime industry were detached from the properties they are pushing. Obviously something like foreign affairs won’t have a large impact, but to say there is none at all is insane.

If they are looking to fund an anime adaptation, then in a question of what, the first conclusions would be the ones planned placement at the forefront company image (something we generally can’t see until we are allowed to.) If they come out and say “we’re promoting this over something else” then it isn’t strange to assume the promoted thing is a point of interest in other dealings.

I’d just leave it. Speculation is only allowed here when established members have a go at it. Sorry you aren’t having a welcome reception.

3 Likes

Treating baseless rumors as anything but that breeds misinformation. Misinformation increases the amount of morons that has to be dealt with. We already get plenty of idiocy based on real information.

Okay, this has gotten a bit heated since I left my comment. I guess I got a bit carried away. It might not be worth much, but allow me to apologise for my earlier conduct.

@SnowWeiss This is absolutely the right place to be if you want to share your thoughts as a Key fan. But as you’ve seen with me and Helios, there’s no guarantee that everybody will agree with your speculation. I think I could’ve worded it better, as I can see that my post can come off as an attack, but I’ve personally found it hard to follow some of the points raised in your post. Connecting symbolism of the daffodil with dates outside of Key’s control and such just comes off as really illogical to me, so I reacted with great scepticism. I called it “conspiracy theory” because of how it seems to loosely connect a bunch of circumstantial evidence with no inherent connection, kind of like those ‘half life 3 confirmed’ memes that were popular a while back. Me disagreeing with your theory has nothing to do with you being new to the forum. On the contrary, if @HeliosAlpha said something I found really dumb I’d be sure to call him out on it. Maybe that’s a flaw of my character.

I don’t think you’re mistaken for wanting a Tomoyo After anime, but I personally feel like it’s a stretch to conclude that Tomoyo After is getting an anime announced at Anime Japan this year based on the reasons you’ve provided. There’s a much simpler way to get people to accept your argument. “Every other Key game is getting an anime, don’t you think Tomoyo After will too?” And that isn’t an argument many people would disagree with. If you start giving specific dates like Anime Japan 2017 then it becomes a bit more open to criticism, but at this point I have little doubt in my mind that Tomoyo After will receive an anime eventually. Key would have to hate money to avoid that prospect. The promise of a Kud Wafter anime makes it more likely than ever that a Tomoyo After anime will make it’s way here eventually.

I believe you need to work on formulating your arguments and theories better, but I don’t want you feeling unwelcomed here because of what you posted. Posting on the internet entails the understanding that not everybody will agree with you, but that also comes with an agreement on the other side that you won’t be made to feel super uncomfortable for posting in the first place. I probably didn’t exercise my responsibility adequately here, so I apologise for making you feel unwelcomed. I think @HeliosAlpha would do well to chill out a little here too. We’re all friends here.

8 Likes

Thanks.

(I’m editing this to avoid double posting.)

Hi everyone. I just wanted to apologize for how this thread played out. My lack of experience in forums has clearly shown, but I’d like to redeem myself and move on. I’ve written a new post if any of you would like to read.

3 Likes