Open Letters to Kazamatsuri

It’ss weird. It’s been so long since I did anything involving Kazamatsuri. I attended the New Year’s Eve party on Discord, with vague promises that I would start coming back more often. I rang in 2019 laughing along with people from around the world at the English dub of the Clannad movie-- I didn’t have anyone with me in person, but I wasn’t alone. And I think that’s what’s so incredible about this website, and the time I spent here. It didn’t matter how long I had been away, too distracted by real life to write long, well-thought out posts, or even to interact much with everyone. I always had the knowledge that there was a whole community I could return to at any time, one that would welcome me with open arms. Where I could really express myself in ways I never could anywhere else.

I first joined Kaza at the tail end of the Air bookclub, in Spring of 2015. I was just a few months away from completing my final year of high school, and I was carrying all the worries and pressures that come from the transition between high school and college. Now, I won’t claim that I’m an expert at interacting with people even now, four years later, but in high school? I was pretty much a complete recluse. The majority of interactions I had were with people outside of my family and people I was required to work with in school. I had a few solid friends I had met on Tumblr and a few other forums, but even in those environments I never really felt like I was a part of anything.

Then I joined Kazamatsuri.

My first real interactions with the people here were actually mainly in the LINE group chat, of all things. I remember going on a family vacation just a few weeks after I signed up, and spending a not insignificant part of the trip looking at my phone, talking to all these new people about anything and everything. I went to the beach and wrote Misuzu and Yukito’s names in the sand, and submitted it as art for the bookclub, because I didn’t have the resources to do anything else, but I wanted to be a part of it anyways.

My first big post was about why Komari was my favorite girl, and my love for her character quickly became one of my trademarks on here. I remember being gifted the “Komari’s Wife” title the morning I was stressing out over a huge AP exam, and it was a little thing, but it actually did make me happy enough that I relaxed a bit. I don’t talk about her nearly as much as I used to, as I’ve expanded into other interests and fixations, but I still wear that badge with pride. I even got to be on her podcast in the Little Busters bookclub (along with a few other podcasts that I was and am so honored to have been a part of) as the resident Komari expert! I think Little Busters and Komari will always be much more special to me because of how I talked about her with members of Kazamatsuri.

That wasn’t the only thing I was known for, though. One day, I saw that there was a thread specifically for sharing fan covers of Key music, and I knew I had found my place, a way I could express my love for the games and anime that meant so much to me.

I was still VERY new to the whole idea of singing anime songs and sharing them with strangers on the internet, and wow did it show. Most of the covers I would have shared back then aren’t even on my channel anymore, they were THAT bad. I had no idea how to mix audio, I was using the built-in microphone on my laptop, I never bothered to fully learn the rhythms for every part of the song I was singing… frankly, in a lot of other communities, I would have been ignored at best and ridiculed at worst. But not here. People were honest about the fact that my work wasn’t perfect, but I always felt encouraged to continue, solely because there were people here who thought I had potential. And while my Youtube channel still isn’t big by any stretch of the imagination, it’s still active, and I’m still doing my best to improve with each new cover. I was even given the “Best Musician” award when those were handed out a few years ago, and I can’t even put into words how much that meant to me.

That shyness I felt back when I joined never fully went away, and as a result I had trouble jumping into the Discord channel, which in turn made me drift away from the site. I still checked it daily for a LONG time, but I found myself having fewer and fewer things to say. The Winter Festival last year was, although brief, a very welcome return to what the site used to feel like when I first joined, and that’s how I want to remember the site: full of kind, passionate people who just wanted to enjoy each others’ company while sharing stories that meant so much to every single one of us.

So, yeah, wow. I knew I had a lot to say, but this turned into a pretty long letter. And yet, somehow, I still feel like I’ve only barely scratched the surface of what this community meant and continues to mean to me. I’ve met so many amazing people during my years here, and had so many great experiences that I never would have had anywhere else. I learned to open myself up and share the real me, and of everything I’ve written here, that is the most important thing I’ll be taking from this whole experience.

Thank you so, so much, everyone. No matter where you go after this, always remember to spread the happiness spiral.

19 Likes

Well shit. I’m surprised. Maybe I shouldn’t be, sounds like its been a rough year or so for everyone involved. I think I’ve come a long way since joining up here, and ultimately, I think this is actually what’s best.

Unfortunately, like so many, I also haven’t posted much in some time. In the (near two years, I think,) since I joined Kaza, life has had some highs and some huge lows, mostly recently. Lost some IRL friends, lost my first apartment, because I had to quit my job because of personal/health issues. None of that matters much to me now though, as I’d been lurking around, hoping to find the time and interest to start posting again. Unfortunately, I still haven’t really gotten it back, but I am compelled to speak once more. I absolutely refuse to keep freezing up at the plate.

I guess I should admit first, I certainly could have made the time to be around more, but if I’m being entirely honest, I got really put off by the “offending people” thing. Anybody whose read my posts where I’ve mentioned how life was for me growing up and/or had similar life experiences can probably guess why I have this sort of stance. Looking back, though, I suppose I never properly explained myself, and in hindsight, I probably should have been more direct and vocal. I should have given back more than I got, and I didn’t. Maybe this will be the one that carves it in, maybe I’ll learn the lesson this time.

It’s especially hard now, as I remember during that “period,” a staff member messaged me with a question I really should have just answered properly, but I was stubborn, as I had a personal code about that kind of stuff. I left the Discord server in a huff over it, and I regret all of that now as I don’t even follow that code anymore because it’s clearly flawed more than it is mechanically sound, from experience with it both inside and (mostly) outside of Kaza. I’m not arrogant enough to think I could ever have swayed anyone to my viewpoint (on anything, really), but it might have helped to at least put it out there. Maybe it would have opened the door to more honest discussion, and I’d have realized my qualms weren’t as important as I thought they were, and carried on a little longer. Maybe I wouldn’t have just up and left the way I did. I don’t know, and now I never will. I’ll have to carry that one with me, for good or ill.

I don’t know if any of my posts or comments actually offended anyone, as no one ever told me so, but in the event that they did and I was unaware, I sincerely apologize that they did, as that wasn’t the intent. All I know is that it got stuck in my head that given my asshole-ish nature, I’d might say something that’d bother somebody, and consequently, my last few posts were milquetoast garbage and uninspired. Eventually I locked up completely, then just resigned myself to the bench. Sorry about that.

I tried to put forth a positive position where possible because it was how I truly felt at the time. If I felt down on something, I’d either briefly mention and try not to dwell on it, or stay radio silent. I also did it because I was so fucking tired of all the echo chambered sound of the snarky, unoriginal, bandwagoning, regurgitated diarrhea opinions constantly circling the drain in the gaming/anime hobby as it is. Kaza was an excellent counterbalance to that; loads of people who, despite disagreements and legitimate criticism on certain points, were exceedingly well-thought out in their responses to each other. Like, genuine and passionate, surgical precision. A carefully considered, yet organic dance of discussion. I was stunned. I’d posted and lurked on plenty of forums before, but nothing like this place. I dislike naming people outright, (but time is now short, and I’d like to commend them properly, if only in shout-out form as I’m not particularly close to anyone here as to PM them), but the old posts of vets like Kanon, Takafumi, Pepe, and Mogaoscar drew me in and struck a chord with me when I was just simply searching for answers and meaning after finishing Tomoyo After. Lurking into other threads, I found that all of Kaza was a gold mine of fascinating and deep discussion on a higher level than any other forum I had perused/posted/lurked on before. In some small way, virtually everyone’s work and posts here helped me reignite my passion for writing and looking deeper into my favorite works of fiction. I don’t believe I ever rose to the level of anybody here when it came to my own contributions, but honestly, it was just cool as fuck for me to just chat with you all in the threads. To be part of things, even if only in small way. I regret not taking better advantage of the opportunity to actually become better friends with anybody here. I can’t blame it all on my anxiety, you guys were super cool and welcoming, I just dropped the ball. I just hope at the end of the day, I wasn’t too much of a bother.

The year that I was active on here completely flew by, and was absolutely wonderful. Even if I didn’t have anything to say, I’d practically run to my computer after work or school, and open up my browser, and pick up where I left off, whether it was new posts, or devouring ancient threads that hadn’t been touched since 2014. The LB! Bookclub was awesome. It was particularly fun as I had watched the anime years ago, but couldn’t remember any details of it really outside of the Kurugaya route episodes, so it was like experiencing it for the first time all over again, but with people to chat about all your favorite bits. All of my friends are only vaguely interested in anime, and none of them are into VNs at all (unfortunately, the stigma of ecchi/H-Scenes is still strong as fuck, even if plenty of VNs don’t have them), so I’d never had the opportunity to talk about any of this kind of stuff on any more than a surface level before. I was completely out of my depth, but just enjoyed the titanic waves crashing around me. I’m still beating myself up a bit that I kinda bombed on the one podcast I was on, but at least in that instance, I know I’d have regretted it more if I hadn’t even tried to get on one, so a big thank you to Aspi for the chance to try it out. It was still an awesome experience, and I feel as though I learned from it in the end. Not every memory has to have fucking unicorns and cupcakes to be valuable and worth remembering, and I’d say the vast majority of my time here was filled with warm memories that I’ll carry with me for a long time.

Through Kaza and everyone here, I assure you it is no small compliment from me when I say thank you to all of you for helping me find my way back to my passion of reading and writing about goofy shit I love. Something I had abandoned when shit got rough, but even losing it was important. I will Never Know Best, but now I Know Better than I did before. Maybe that’s all I can muster up. Right now, though, it’s enough.

16 Likes

Hi, this is Nate, it’s been a long time, how are you people doing? I decided to check in here to see how Kazamatsuri was doing, and boy was I shocked to see that Kaza would eventually meet the same fate as Rokkenjima did. Being the first online community that I actively participated in, and Planetarian being my gateway to the weird yet wonderful sphere that is the Japanese pop culture, this community has always had a place in my heart, even after I left months ago due to personal issues and some disagreements. I have not joined a single visual novel fan group since then – Kaza has been my first and only so far.

Despite that, I’m happy to say that through this community I got to know and made friends with some of you amazing people, most of whom I rarely talk to nowadays, unfortunately. I remember you - Aspi, Pepe, Ember, cjlim, Magus, Machelmore, Echo (Yumemi raincoat gang!), Hardscope, Helios, LoliconExE, kiraboshi… oh boy, the list goes on. I hope as we move forward with our lives and retire this community, the relationships that we have built and fostered throughout the years don’t die with it. If you wish to keep in touch, my Discord account is Nate#7890, and I’m also willing to give you my LINE username via personal message if you so desire.

I’m going to put my original Yumemi profile picture back up until this site is shut down.

12 Likes

Hello everyone - here is hoping that life has been treating you as well as it can! :happy:

This isn’t a real open letter about Kaza since I don’t think I can put those thoughts into something tangible for anyone at this point, so this is a small update on a few topics:

1. I would like to stay in touch with the relationships of the great people that have formed here, and I’m still trying to figure out what works best right now for everyone. If you wish for any reason, feel free to drop my a line somewhere and I would be glad to hear from you (although it may be a bit difficult for now).

2. If anyone would like to schedule a time to try some game in a co-op fashion - Smash, 100% Orange Juice, Arkham Horror LCG, Mysterium, HoM&M 3 (which was still never started), Super Mario Maker 2 when I get it, or whatever else, please feel free to let me know! I should have more proactive about asking to try out more ideas in the past or joining in more often, and since I’m Riki slow and bad at Secret Hitler that choice may be more questionable hehe results may vary.

3. One thing I will say for now is that Kaza really started to get me thinking about how wonderful it would be to experience other countries and actually feel different cultures instead - and not in a visit for one week and try to cram it all in a busy schedule sort of way. That is moving along and I may be visiting Spain, France, or Japan in a year or two.

9 Likes

Mm, it’s sad to think that my first time visiting this forum in months is when it’s planned to close down. I don’t have as many memories to share since even when I did regularly visit this place I was never the most active in comparison to others here, but I have made a couple friends and I’m grateful for that.

It was nice “spamming” this place with Kanon and its underrated glory.

10 Likes

Truth be told, when I heard about Kaza shutting down, I felt pretty upset. I couldn’t really understand why this forum couldn’t be allowed to die a natural death much like the other communities I’ve been in. But over time, it just sank to me – the logistical trouble of keeping it running despite no longer generating as much discussions as it used to, and the fact that even I have personally drifted away from Key in the first place. At that point, I felt that it’s for the best. It’s still a little sad, but nothing really lasts forever, and it’s not so bad that we can allow ourselves to have an opportunity to just cherish this place one last time.

That said, I’m really grateful to have been part of this forum. I really owe it to Kazamatsuri that I’ve been able to have an avenue to hone my skills in writing, analysis and art, and that I’ve met a lot of people here who has positively shaped me into a better person.

I suppose we all have already changed since the first time we came here. I’m actually working somewhere as a journalist now, but I have to admit, I’m not quite as good at expressing myself through words. So I decided to convey my feelings to everyone in a way I feel more confident about. Maybe in a year or so I’m gonna hate how this one looks (but if you’re an artist, that’s not really a bad thing!), but I hope you all like this at least:

I hope to see you again someday.

22 Likes

Well, I guess it’s my turn to post about my open letter here. There’s so many things I would love to say that really has changed me for the better when I first joined Kazamatsuri. It was back in November 2015 which really felt quite a long time. I was excited to know there were people who enjoyed Key VNs just like me and I had to join no matter what. But I’ve also met so many amazing and wonderful people on here that really inspired me and made me feel very welcomed. It made me want to become a part of something that I could try to help people to feel good about themselves. To me, it was a stepping stone that helped grew me as a person.

I wished I was more active on here despite the time I was so busy with work and many other things going on with my life. Honestly, when I first heard that Kazamatsuri was shutting down, a part of me really saddened me because this was the only place that I knew that was a home to me and many other Key fans that shared a belonging here. But I also do remember the good times when I participated in a few bookclubs (like the Kanon and Tomoyo After bookclub). I actually felt a part of something that got me to express my appreciation for these VNs and shaped me to think and reason on many subjects that pertained to the discussions. One of the things I remember was participating in the Rewrite anime discussions in which I posted quite a few on there. My first Kaza Movie Night experience which was really fun and viewing movies with friends made for it a great time. And even singing karaoke a few times on Discord. That was also another enjoyable moment as well too. I rarely sing that well but I at least gave an effort. Even being a part of the Kaza Discord in talking with people when I was active that got me into getting closer with the community.

Even though I couldn’t do as much as an active member, being a patron for Kazamatsuri was one of the things I could do to show my appreciation for the site and well-being for all of the hard working staff and moderators that do their utmost to maintain this site for many of the things that they do. My heart goes out to you guys for that.

Being here as a part of a community really was a blessing to me. I could mention a few that have got me to express my deepest appreciation here. In particular @Aspirety, @Pepe, @EisenKoubu, @Kotomi795, @Mogaoscar, @SuikaShoujo, @KaiMiang, @VyseGolbez, @Khsellhu, @BlackHayate02, and @cjlim2007 that really grew on me when I first came here and still do till this day. I wished I got to talk more with you guys more often.

Thank you Kaza for making this place special to me and some of the most fondest memories that will still carry on within me even when this closes. :uee: And like most of you have said, it’s also a new beginning. One chapter closes and a new one begins. I can definitely say from the bottom of my heart that I truly have enjoyed being a part of this place of belonging and it’s been a great five years in the making. This community means a lot to me and I’ll forever treasure it. Thank you Kaza! :ai:

14 Likes

I would’ve written this sooner, but a few things were keeping me from doing so.

1. Being busy with school and work.

2. Not being able to come up with the words to say.

3. Writing this, to me at least, would feel like hitting the final nail on the coffin that is the shutting down of Kazamatsuri Forums.

However, there’s not much work to do now that the semester is almost over, I think I have come up with what I want to say, and I figured that it be better to write something than not doing so and regretting it for the rest of my life.

For those who read my post on the Life Story topic, you’ll know that my social life was basically non-existent. When I joined Kaza, however, I felt that I finally had a place to socialize and feel comfortable on various levels.

Kaza really helped me during some difficult times recently, like when my kitten, Chomper, died, or when my father pulled a Hayate Ayasaki’s parents on me.

I’ve also had some really fun experiences here. The earliest I can think of was during a Kaza Game Night, when I was having the hardest time getting on the Discord chat. Then, when I finally got in, I stayed quiet until the current game ended. After I started speaking, someone asked me who did I have to defeat in order to get in, and I respond with Thanos, Dimentio, Darth Vader, Voldemort and Infinite. My only regret was that I didn’t also mention Roy Earl.

Then there was last year’s Winter Festival. I’d like to give a special shoutout to my fellow Buff Busters @prototypeOEZ, @machelmore, @Pepe, @RyuuTamotsu, @VyseGolbez, @shiro021, @kyuketsukimiyu and @Crottenis. I wish I had helped you all a little more with the events. I still had lots of fun, though, and I hope you all did, too. I’m also glad I was able to participate in the Clannad Movie Dub, KSL Live 2016 and New Year’s Party events.

Afterwards, there was the Kazaversary Party. I had fun there, too, though I think I annoyed my mother a bit, since, in my time zone, the party was rather early. It was worth it, though.

There were also a bunch other little things, too. There was the time when @grooven helped me fix my precious Maid Lucia figure. And I can’t forget encouraging words I’ve gotten from @Aspirety, @nathanielevan, @Echo, @Kandy, @stupid and many others.

It’s not all bad, though, since we can all still communicate through Discord. I hope we’ll still be able to play games and share our love for Key.

Thank you, everyone at Kazamatsuri. I’ll see you at Graduation.

13 Likes

I doubt any of you know me as I’ve just lurked for the past 2 years, but I felt that since it’s the end I should post something so I don’t regret it later. I don’t particularly have a lot to say except that it’s been fun, even without ever really posting. I did want to be active but I could never find the ability and confidence to post something meaningful, it’s never really been my forte, so I just slid into the background, reading posts and listening to the podcasts. It was an enjoyable time though, and I am sad that we’ll never see a rewrite or summer pockets bookclub, I guess now would be a good time to finally go through the Love Song bookclub as that’s the last one I’ve yet to do.

Suppose I’ll put this here too, I still kind of feel bad about being one of the winners of the Little Busters giveaway from 2 years ago, I did still intend at that time to post but I just couldn’t really think of much to talk about and got burnt out on visual novels for a couple months. Though once I finished the VN it became one of my favourite VNs ever and really kickstarted my love of VNs as a medium which has led to me reading through every Key VN, so there was some positive out of it at least.

7 Likes

Kazamatsuri, a community and home that has helped shape who I am as a person right now. To think that my first ever post in a while is to be my last one truly makes me feel ambivalent. Reading the posts in Graduation, it is understandable that the admins and moderators have come to this decision and yet I feel sad that I never got to keep the promise I made with @Aspirety to come back to the forum one day. Rather, I did but I never meant that I would only right before its closing. As my final mark in this community, I believed that the least I could do is to leave this post collecting my memories here in Kazamatsuri. So… sorry for the wall of text and I do hope it doesn’t end up sounding like a rant…

Where do I start hmm… maybe the time I got banned for a day seems good. When I first joined, to be completely honest, I was a very insensitive human being who shitposted because why not (I think @Pepe and @RyuuTamotsu remember my katsudon post :yahaha:). Thinking back on it now, part of the reason behind my actions was because how things were like in other communities I was a part of at the time (and the fact I was like… 14?) where members would insult each other because why not and try to “expose” well-known members because again, why not. As an obvious result, I was banned ! albeit for a single day and I swear, that was the longest day of my life. :help:

Seeing that as a second and final chance, I read the code of conduct again, tried to make sense of what I say, and looked at how other people post on the forum or speak on discord and partially started imitating them. Soon I managed to reach the rank of buster on the forum mainly due to my activity at the time but the quality of my posts didn’t improve at all. Then came the Little Busters Bookclub which was definitely one of my best experiences in this community ever. :gold:

The Little Busters visual novel was simply put, too good. The characters were interesting, the story was coherent, the minigames were fun and due to this, I also wanted to start contributing to discussions. This I believe is when I actually started trying to collect my thoughts, read between lines, do research, check if what I’m about to post makes sense or not. When Aspy and Pepe told me that I progressed, my happiness was immeasurable because that was the moment it felt like I was truly accepted into the community. I actually want to thank @HeliosAlpha for this because it was his influence that I started using my brain at all and while I don’t know if any of my Little Busters posts were any better than any of my Rewrite posts, it was still thanks to him that I started thinking about what to say prior to speaking it out. :nuoo:

It was fun times, chatting with everyone on Discord, listening to podcasts, but sadly, it seems fun times never last too long. Following a certain incident (which I don’t feel like elaborating on too much) which almost led to the community dividing into two, I found myself interacting with the community less and less because despite acknowledging that there was indeed a problem, I still just wanted to get along with everyone and when I say everyone, I mean everyone. It didn’t feel quite the same as it used to and gradually, I started distancing myself from the community… :uee:

But things looked to be turning for the better again soon with the announcement of the Kaza Winter Festival and the amount of fun I had through the course of it, (other than trying to find a reasonable time slot for osu cuz why does India have to be in the middle of Europe and America) the fun I had, I cannot do justice in a single post like this one. My fellow teammates in Team Happiness were all talented and enthusiastic people and it was a really joyful experience working with them. @Madekuji_san @TomoyaOkazaki @Phlebas @kittytama @SuikaShoujo @grooven @adeptArcanist @WorldOfBooks The spiral of happiness is eternal. Do not forget. :pout:

Following the Winter Festival, almost immediately came the Planetarian Bookclub Reboot with which, I thought things were back just as before but sadly, certain issues with my life combined with other reasons (one of them being the fact that I got crazy into rhythm games) led to me procrastinating forever on reading Planetarian and as a result, my activity dipped immensely once again only for me to make an actual return to the forum only now. :sad:

I was still occasionally reading Planetarian and the Discord backlog now and then so hearing news of Kazamatsuri’s closing a random day on Twitter was quite devastating for me… which is also why I hadn’t made a post till now despite wanting to.

On the bright side though, it’s not like the experiences I had with everyone here is going to disappear! I respect everyone that I ever interacted with here and even though for some of you, we took different paths due to our differences, I must say I still think about you all now and then and wonder how you are doing. To name a few more people who had a significantly larger impact on me (other than those I already mentioned) though,
@Hardscope - You are possibly one of the kindest persons I have ever met even to this day. It was always fun talking to you about anything! I cannot apologize to you enough for being the indirect cause of what you had to go through… but I will still strive to become like you, someone who is fun but also has a clear sense of what is right and wrong!

@Naoki_Saten - It was always fun for me reading your posts they were what I would describe as most logical and coherent and reading your in-depth analysis sometimes actually convinced me to change my mind on certain aspects of certain Little Busters routes. I also loved your memes. On top of that, you are one of the only Kazamatsuri members to contact me despite my inactivity and I really really am thankful for that because you remembered me as a person and not just someone who regularly posts on the forum and that means a lot for me!
Also, Sally Amaki best girl.

@emilevnp @cjlim2007 - If not for your messages asking me how I am doing, I may not have been able to ever make this post nor take this opportunity to thank both of you for caring about me at all during times when it felt like I just couldn’t deal with it anymore… Thank you for helping me through some of my darkest times ever and I wish you both good luck all the same!

@nathanielevan -

YUMEMI RAINCOAT HELL YEAH

As for a bit of how I have personally been doing, I’ve been having a lot of ups and downs everywhere… I mostly spend my time playing rhythm games like Arcaea, Lanota, or osu!
I also started reading some novels, namely those by Sumino Yoru… I am having some difficulties with my life but I’m sure I can somehow manage to endure it! If anyone needs me I’m almost always available on Discord so just @ me or dm me.

With that, I conclude my letter to Kazamatsuri, the community and home that has helped shape who I strive to be as a person right now - to become more sensitive of others’ feelings, to be logical and resonable, and to distinguish right and wrong, and be empathetic.

Signing off,
Echo

16 Likes

I don’t believe that the words that could aptly describe my experience with Kazamatsuri.org exist in this world.

I was young when I first stumbled upon this website. Young and naive. I sometimes wonder why you all put up with me, but I am very grateful that you did. You are all such amazing people. Genuinely kind, genuinely funny, genuinely intelligent, genuinely inspiring. And you share yourselves so generously with this community. The fact that I was even able to witness this place, let alone take part in it, is inexplicably meaningful.

The saddest part of the end of Kazamatsuri, for me, is not the end itself, but the fact that it is ending with me as an outsider. I did not properly reciprocate the friendship that was shared with me here. I entered a new chapter of my life, and I changed. My environment changed, my priorities changed, and my personality changed. It was probably inevitable with that change that I eventually left Kaza. I know that now. But I didn’t say thank you, I didn’t say goodbye. I just… ghosted. And for that I want to apologize, from the bottom of my heart, because none of you deserved that.

And so now I want to end on a thank you. For the stories we shared. For the music we listened to. For the songs we sang. For the games we played. For the laughter. So much laughter. For the memes we dreamed, and the dreams we memed. For the pure human emotions. For the most serious discussions and the silliest debates. For talking late into the night. For inspiring each other to be better versions of ourselves. For the OH YOSHINOs, the “GET INs”, and the kinniku. For the musicians, artists, writers, and thinkers. For the role models and mentors. For the leaders and behind-the-scenes upkeepers. For the friends. For those of you who shared your hearts with me. Through good times and bad. I love you.

Long live The Rebellion!

18 Likes

It is sad that closing the interesting place… Thank you for managers very much.

4 Likes

I have not been active in quite a long time, despite anything that has happened I just wanted to thank everyone here for being a friendly community that all really appreciate Key works, I discovered Key at such a young age and would never have found any other people that liked it outside of Japan without this site. It was also a pleasure being able to write a couple of news posts ⸜(˙꒳˙)⸝ Sorry to hear Kaza is closing, but I hope everyone continues to support Key here on out!!!

4 Likes

I have trouble writing anything that isnt objective, so I am just gonna say thanks. To @Pepe, seemingly cool guy. Particually on podcasts @liclac got Kazamatsuri online quick whenever it stopped working @cjlim2007 friendly welcoming from him when I joinned Kazamatsuri and another planetairan buff @HeliosAlpha Interesting thoughts both on the forum and discord @Naoki_Saten memelord of all. @Mogaoscar interesting posts @AustinDoujin more interesting posts @MagusVerborum great posts and also interesting on my probably favorite channel (Jokrono is the channels name) and his sidekick @Jokrono check out their channel (Only just started listening to their umineko playthrough, its great so far like their higurashi one. @BlackHayate02 good posts and love the fullmetal reference in your name @emilevnp interesting posts about your day every once in a while @Kagura had some intereting posts that I enjoyed @Hardscope great discord stuff. ‘Kanon’ another interesting poster @Sep7 to many interesting posters. ‘grooven’ will the interesting posters continue? and others I definitely forgot to mention) for all the fun posts I have had here. (sorry Kanon and grooven could @ you because I have to many mentions in this post.)

Especially thanks to @Idiology sometimes your posts were so long I skipped them but when I did read them they were great (also like your music arrangements.) @StarfishBender The amazing steins;gate guy and one of my favourite posters. (el psy Kongoroo) @Shizuru-chan the art is something I always look forwards to, its also a good motivator for my own drawing so seriously thanks, @Aspirety Your work on Kazamatsuri has been great over the years thanks. seriously thanks. @TheSuperSonic16 I dunno why this guy AND EXTREMELY thanks to @stupid although he is an absolute idiot.

Some of my most enjoyed things in real life have been the kazaversary I experienced and waiting for drawings from @Shizuru-chan. Its sad I just missed out on Rokkenjuima but Kazamatsuri has always been something I have found really precious, Thanks.

16 Likes

The announcement of Kazamatsuri closing had hit me pretty hard. From that moment, everything seemed pointless and I became an unstable mess. It was like depression had come back with reinforcements and boy did it kick my ass.

I knew I had to write an open letter and put all I had into it. But instead of a perfect wall of text, my notes only resembled the pathetic wailings of a big baby. I just wanted to run away, so I did. I acted like it’s business as usual on the chat. Distracted myself with games. I procrastinated, as I always do with unpleasant tasks. All so I wouldn’t have to face this sadness just yet. Sorry it took me so long to reply ^^’

Five years ago, when I joined the forum, I knew this place was special right away. Why? Because I didn’t have to scroll past a bunch of spam, waifu wars, trolling and arguing to find a deep and meaningful post. People were talking with, not at or past each other and they were freely sharing their passions and feelings with others instead of making fun of them. Almost every post contained something new and insightful. A discussion paradise. So I decided to do all I could to keep it that way. Ironically, in my early days, I was so aggressive about it that while trying to keep the bad things away, I occasionally became the worst thing on this site. I pushed my values onto others and got angry with members whose posts were not “serious” enough. I used to butt heads with @Kanon all the time (I’m truly thankful for the experience, though) since we were - and probably still are - polar opposites. My antics earned me two out of three strikes, meaning I was close to getting kicked from the site.

Kazamatsuri is where I could do what I loved most, what I was most passionate about. Heck, this is where I discovered new sides of myself, where I found out what kind of person I wanted to be. I started to listen more, question my own viewpoint more frequently, reassess my priorities from time to time. I have experienced many different ways of having fun here. Over the years, I went through the entire spectrum of, well, being Kengo. I went from being the excessively serious guy to memelord, realizing there’s nothing wrong with being both. I have learned valuable lessons. For example, that people I personally don’t get along with can still be great people. For example, that enjoying things with others is simply on a different level compared to enjoying stuff by yourself. It really enhances your experience. For example, that passion is a product of effort - not the other way around. That is something I have experienced with my own body during the Winter Festival. The Kaza events made me take part in activities I probably never would have attempted otherwise, like being on podcast, or a chorus or doing some voice acting for a silly little fandub.

What I did on Kaza were without a doubt the most fulfilling activities in my life so far.

There was a lot of “I” and “me” in this post, but none of these memories would have ever been created without you who share them with me. Heck, the Naoki_Saten you know may only exist here and only thanks to you guys. And thanks you shall receive.

Thank you, @Aspirety, for putting up with me when I was at my worst and acknowledging me when I was at my best. Thank you for creating, maintaining and protecting this place we call our home for years despite the toll it has taken on you. Thank you for organizing countless events.

Thank you, @Pepe, for listening to me when I was at my most desperate. Thank you for being THE SUN when it came to setting the mood on Kaza for years.

Thank you, @liclac, for managing the technical side of things, offering so much of your time and proffessional skills so that random people on the internet could have a unique place to meet.

Thank you, @Takafumi and @HeliosAlpha for always keeping the discussions going, always introducing new information, new viewpoints to the talk. You guys are extremely knowledgeable about so many things, making every conversation a learning experience.

Thank you, @BlackHayate02 and @Hardscope for doing a great job and maintaining a good atmosphere.

Thank you, team VitaminC: @Celeskastel @AustinDoujin @ArtiFedEx @BeanCurd @Mogaoscar @cjlim2007 @KaiMiang @Meyvol
You guys are the craziest and most motivated team I’ve ever been part of. I couldn’t possibly imagine a more fun and fulfilling way to end a year and begin a new one than to tackle all kinds of activities with a squad that gives it 110% in all of them (and bitterly agonizes over that one event we didn’t do).

Thank you, @Bizkitdoh , @Yerian and other veterans who departed on their own Journeys at some point. We’ve shared some awesome memories back in the “good old days”. I miss you guys.

Thank you, @StarfishBender and other active members for keeping the fire burning. Nowadays, our interactions are mostly on the chat where I’m far less active, but it’s fun.

Thank you, @grooven and other members who participated in podcasts with me.

Thank you, members I’ve occasionally had a personal chat with.

Sorry for always being a downer, but I feel like I have gained so much here and given back too little. I have taken Kaza for granted. I truly believed it could keep going forever. I should have done more for the community, volunteered more instead of mostly just helping myself to the banquet. I should’ve opened up to others more. After all, to this day, nobody even knows what I look like. Albeit too late, I am really glad I’ve taken one more step to opening up by participating in the Secret Santa event for the first time. Don’t mind me, though. Being a pessimist and a notorious procrastinator, I will never not have regrets. And being a perfectionist, I’ll never not look back and think “Damn, I should’ve said ‘this’, mentioned ‘that’ member and formulated ‘these’ parts differently in my open letter!”

Kazamatsuri is home. It is the place we belong, the place could return to for years. Leaving it means not only loss, but also that we’ll never be the same. What brought us together were stories from Key. They are thought-provoking. They teach us the importance of love. They teach us about life itself. And they capture our hearts to the point where the sadness of fictional scenes makes us cry. It was not just the material, but also the lessons Key taught us that made our community what it is. We were brought together here because we share the same values. And from the bottom of my heart, I am proud of being part of this family.

22 Likes

I suppose it’s high time I got around to writing my sendoff letter here on good ol’ Kazamatsuri.org, a place that’s seen a whole lot of great discussion and a whole lot more great folks. Despite my radio silence over the past 3.5~ years, Kazamatsuri will eternally have a place in my heart, and it has made massive waves in my life. I’m hardly the best when it comes to reminiscing about things, no thanks to my abysmal memory, but an event like this warrants I at least try. So here it is, my swan song for Kazamatsuri. To be accompanied with this literal swan song I have played: https://soundcloud.com/linkthinks/philosophy-of-yours-piano-cover

As it is written, a young Link joined the forum many moons ago after seeing a Reddit thread advertising the upcoming planetarian podcast. I’d actually just read planetarian the night prior (apparently) and enjoyed it immensely, so getting a chance to vent my thoughts seemed great. I’m not sure what gave me the idea that I was a good speaker at the time, but clearly I had convinced myself, so I hopped right into activities on the forum here.

Kinda crazy to look back and see that I was part of the welcoming committee on the Introduce Yourself topic back when I joined up, haha. I most certainly was never the most active poster, nor did I contribute a whole lot to the discussions about Key works, but I can say with pride that I (eventually) read through everything there was on the forums, and have always had immense respect for the people who really got down in the discussion trenches to crack open every facet of every Key work, and all the people who made awesome fan content for Key’s stuff, @SuikaShoujo, @Glenn_Irish, and @eptakyrios coming to mind in particular. I will never forget the coincidence that was my piano cover of Gentle Jena being posted the same day as Suika’s vocal cover. Really amazing.

Perhaps the most individually incredible experiences I had here on Kazamatsuri came from the myriad of podcasts that I was fortunate enough to be featured on. Aside from just improving immensely at speech and analysis, each and every podcast was accompanied by amazing and hilarious antics. From the OG planetarian bookclub (whew that was rough) to the vastly improved AIR podcast with the MŒ ͜ʖ°)/ s @Yerian, @Bizkitdoh, @Aspirety, @Iotheria, and @Bowiie, plus our fantastic guests, and then finally the smattering of Monthly Terra podcasts which I was fortunate enough to be able to mess up Rewrite Vita information in! These were all filled with so many dreams and memes and adrenaline and were oh so fantastical. Even if I can never stomach going back and listening to them as I have a condition where my body decomposes upon hearing myself speak, all those podcasts are good memories to me that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Also I can still sing Farewell Song thanks to the chorus. Good stuff.

And of course, this is all ignoring the elephant in the room which is the 100 friends I made along the way (at least in the Kotarou definition of friend). To this day a very substantial part of my social network is made up of people I either met here on Kazamatsuri or indirectly came into contact with from here. There are so many people here that have carved out a place in my heart, even if I’m not in touch with them anymore. The old Skype group was truly like a family to me, and I even used the DMs here on Kazamatsuri quite often back in the day (eventually boasting the longest DM chain on the forum). It was because of how special the forum was to me that I eventually decided to become a moderator along with everyone’s favorite boy @Pepe, and while I definitely made a couple minor mistakes as a moderator, I also remember working quite hard on occasion to keep this place clean and tidy, and much love was put in. I even solved a wacky detective mystery.

Of course, here we are now at the end of the decade, and I myself have changed over the years. As my interest in visual novels as a medium slipped away, my enthusiasm for Key was naturally dragged with it, and I devolved into yet another void walker, right up until this final farewell.

But this isn’t a funeral. It’s a sendoff. A sendoff to years of some of the greatest people and passion I have ever encountered. To a site that brought people around the globe together and helped change their lives. To the power of emotion, and the ability for Key’s works to cause us to want to connect. It’s inevitable that many of us would drift apart in time, but what’s truly amazing is how many have returned to mourn and celebrate the experience that is and was Kazamatsuri. It goes to show that the love wasn’t just there for Key works, it was for here and the fans of those works. Even after these forums enter their stasis, I’m hopeful that even a small number of folks will stumble upon its archives and be able to view and appreciate the warmth and family that formed here. At the very least, I’m still here, and I will always trumpet Kazamatsuri’s praises as a force in my life.

Thank you, everyone. There are plenty of people I didn’t mention who I still remember fondly (basically anybody I’ve interacted with for any amount of time back in the day), but I also want to thank all the people who have joined in my absence and fallen in love with Kazamatsuri like I did. Because I can think of no better happiness to give someone than what Kazamatsuri has given to me.

Thank you all for everything. I will always remember this journey.

17 Likes

:ohoho: You are the memelord

Also yeah I also experiened the same as you with the announcement of Kazamatsuri shutting down.

Noice to know I wasnt the only one.

3 Likes

It’s been very hard for me to write this letter, and I’ve been through two drafts already, but none of them could ever seem right. I’ve gone from “What does Kaza mean to you” to “My history with Kaza” and neither of those really convey what I want to say. But after thinking about it for many months, I think what I really want to say to Kazamatsuri is simple: I want to say Thank You.

Thank you, Kazamatsuri, for getting me into Key. I’m the kind of person that can never really get into something without being somehow involved in a community (which I have been doing since I was 10? years old). Just being in this sort of community allowed me to look further, past the novels and the stories, and find deeper meaning and connections in the stories. If it weren’t for Kaza, I’d have treated Key like I treat many of the other VNs I read nowadays: read, appreciate, then go onto the next one. But now I can say that I am a true Key fan; a Kagikko, if you will. And that part of me will never be replaced.

Thank you, Kazamatsuri, for giving more meaning to my 2-year stay in Japan. Of course, I was there primarily for my studies, but being all alone in an unfamiliar country was absolutely terrifying. Being in Kazamatsuri gave me direction, and an additional purpose throughout those two years. Finding information about goods and events, and participating in numerous local events about Key. Never in my life could I imagine entering an event like Tokyo Game Show with a Press Pass to represent Kazamatsuri, but it actually happened. That and the countless interactions with the people behind the games that I love and hold dear, made it all the more worth it, with Baba and Kudokou through Comiket and Character1. Most importantly, I was able to meet with some of my most important friends, @RyuuTamotsu and @Glenn_Irish, and cultivated a friendship deeper than I could have ever expected from an online community.

Thank you, Kazamatsuri, for teaching me how to appreciate things from a more human perspective. I came on here with a very shallow definition of what is “good” and what is “bad” and never understood the intent and meaning behind the stories I’ve read, and the media I consume. I’ll be forever indebted to @Bizkitdoh for inspiring me to look past simply appreciating or devaluing something because of a consensus within the community, but coming to look at how media connects to someone on a personal level, and how it relates to their own experiences. Kazamatsuri reminded me of just how many different people there are in the world, and each viewpoint is just as valuable as the other. I still remember you lecturing me for pissing on Kitazawa Ayaka and now I’m probably one of her biggest fans lol.

Thank you, Kazamatsuri, for teaching me how to deal with people. As an admin, despite it not being a position that I initially chose, I had to deal with people and their interactions with the site. Even for things like shipping goods from Japan and organizing Secret Santa, I’ve had to deal with numerous issues and viewpoints. I’m currently in a management position at work right now, and I will forever be thankful for the lessons I’ve learned, which, I can say without a doubt, are lessons that I am bringing in to my career and into my personal life. Things like, being able to listen to people, and not following strict rules by the book. Knowing when to make compromises, and when to be able to put your foot down. And, most importantly, remember to go back to your main goal, and constantly re-evaluating that what you and your team does is always in sight of that goal.

And, lastly, thank you for all the people who have made Kazamatsuri what it was and what it is. Starting from seeing heavy analytical discussion, watching people like @Naoki_Saten, @Kanon and @Takafumi butt heads over what their interpretation and appreciation of a story is (and continue to do so up to this day). Then going over to more personal discussion of works through bookclubs, pushed by people like @Yerian @cjlim2007 @therationalpi @Iotheria @Karifean @kyuketsukimiyu @Mogaoscar @LinkThinks and more recently, @Idiology. All of the memes and games in between with @Bonecuss @IkaCZ @Rabla and @Kluck. I also appreciate the time where I felt that interactions were less personal, but very uplifting, with @Sonic112003 @EisenKoubu and @Kotomi795 being good mood setters on discord. Even the craziness in the community of opposing viewpoints, reminding us to check our own values, ushered with the help of @MagusVerborum and @kiraboshi. Self-evaluation which was greatly brought in through the help of @BlackHayate02, @daysofsummer and @Hardscope on the moderation team. Even the community as it is now, with @stupid @StarfishBender and most especially @HeliosAlpha helping to continue push our shared interest in Key.
And, lastly, thank you to @Aspirety and @liclac, my co-admins. I’ve learned so much from you two, in both a technical and emotional aspect. I was really glad to see you two again in Japan, and I’m hoping we can continue to keep in touch. There’s still so much more I can learn from you all.

As it is now, I don’t want it to be over. I want to discuss Rewrite once it comes out again. I want to discuss Summer Pockets after reading it for the first time. I want to continue to keep myself updated with Key news, even if I can’t participate in events or purchase goods. Maybe I’ll find a new place to do all this. But nothing will ever top Kazamatsuri.

27 Likes

I wanted to post a few other things but if I’ve not the time to do it, I prefer to make my farewell now.

I don’t remember when I’ve discovered Kaza for the first time, it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago but it’s possible that it was way before this. I was also in love with Key at the time and Kaza made me learn a lot of things about the series (recently, I’ve also listened to some of the Kaza podcasts and I must say that they are really interesting).
At the time, my English was very bad and I wasn’t ready to participate in a forum. I discovered on Kaza that Kanon had a Discord server though, I decided to join it since it was easier for me to participate in this than in a forum. After that, I became really active in the Key discord community and I helped to launch some servers and keep them active.
For these 2 things, I’m really grateful to Kaza.

I’ve not posted a lot but that was fun to participate here during these last 2 months. I’m not worried about the future of the Key community, there are a lot of Key fans on Discord that are really active and also a bit on Reddit. Moreover, Key just refuses to stop releasing amazing games so the future is very bright for us. However, a forum has a lot of advantages that doesn’t exist in a chat application like Discord (and vice versa) so I hope that another Key forum will open its doors one day.

7 Likes

Alright, my turn. On some level we all knew this was going to happen sooner rather than later, I suppose. I’ve gone through a pretty wide range of emotions processing it, and I’d like to talk about a few of them.

If you remember when I joined way back in 2016, you’ll recall I was something of a goofball. Like, not in a good way. I was in that weird formative stage where you’re not exactly a child, but you’re not an adult either. Basically, I was a dumb edgy kid who didn’t really know how to behave. I said all kinds of shit that got me in trouble, and almost got banned a few times. (Who would have thought I would end up on the mod team? :yahaha:) I nearly quit several times after butting heads with people I now call my friends. I could never leave, though, because on some deep level I understood how special this community is. It took me a while, but through lots of self-reflection and support from some community members, I got my stuff together. That time was a lesson that’s helped me not only on Kazamatsuri, but in life. In a very direct way, this community has contributed to my growth and development as a person. Thank you.

There have been too many fun events to even begin to list them off, but what really makes this community special is the incredible people who also call this place home. I didn’t initially want to tag a bunch of people, but I’m going to do it anyway because there’s no better time to say these things.

@Pepe and @Aspirety: You’ve both encouraged me to be the best Hardscope I can be. When I act irrationally, you tell me to take a step back and take a deep breath. And when you need to tell me something straight, you do. You guys have been my Kyousuke, really. I respect you both a lot and I’m proud to call you my friends.

@RyuuTamotsu and @KaiMiang: You are some of my best friends and I’m incredibly grateful this community brought us together. I don’t really need to get too sappy, though, because I’ll still be talking to you guys long after this website is gone.

Indeed, tomatoes shall live on!

@Naoki_Saten, @HeliosAlpha and @Bizkitdoh: At some point I had trouble getting along with you, but I’ve since come to respect you all a great deal and I’m thankful for the cool stuff we’ve talked about. Nick, our debates during the writing process for the new code of conduct got heated sometimes but in the end we were both just pushing each other to make this place the best it can be.

@Echo: I haven’t seen you around much recently, but I really value the time we spent hanging out. You and I are more similar than probably any two people here. Your situation was kind of similar to mine when you first joined and you’ve become a really great guy. There’s nobody else I would rather get my Kazamatsuri Kouhai title.

@nathanielevan and @MAEBATAME: You kind of disappeared off the face of the earth, but I still value you deeply as friends. My inbox is always open.

@cjlim2007, @Madekuji_san, and @mogaoscar: I didn’t do a whole lot with you guys, but you’ve all shown yourselves to be incredibly cool people and I definitely hope I haven’t seen the last of you.

@Bonecuss, @DangoDaikazoku, @Yerian, @Tamamo-no-Bae @Khsellhu, @Sonic112003, @soggysadboi etc., etc., etc.: I wasn’t here at the same time as you guys for very long, but we had some good times when you were around. I hope things are going well for you. My inbox is open.

And everyone: This place is something special, and we really are the lucky ones to have been here. I’ve heard a lot of people use the phrase “Kazamatsuri is eternal” over the years, and the real beauty of that statement is only revealing itself now. In only a few short days the website kazamatsuri.org will close its doors forever, but I do believe many of us will hold Kazamatsuri near and dear for a very long time. Thank you everybody, and have a nice day!

20 Likes