Nintendo Topic

I can’t wait to see people in the news who broke in important places to catch a legendary that happened to be there.

I’m doubt they’d be arrested or anything. They’d understand. You just gotta get that Mewtwo.

1 Like

I actually am kinda excited to see giant gatherings happen just because pokemon. Like its an opportunity for fans to get together and show their love for the game. Kinda like get out there and meet new people who love what you love. Also I feel like if they are having legendary events the local police would be informed to manage it so people don’t go into private property

2 Likes

Here’s my big fear about Pokemon Go: it will fail because Pokemon exists.

Basically, the game itself is a very good concept: go out into the real world and find monsters to battle through augmented reality. Trade those monsters with friends by meeting in real-life. If the monster battling is deep enough, and the variety of creatures are high enough, then it’s going to be a great game that pushes the player to venture out into the world.

Go isn’t the first game like this, but none of the others have really taken off. I always thought this was because they weren’t as deep as pokemon is, that the battling aspect was too rudimentary to be worth anyone’s time. But what if they actually failed because there’s an easier alternative?

One of the truisms of game design is that players will respond to incentives and take the easiest choice. That’s not to say that players won’t take on a challenge, but without any outside influences to push a player towards doing something difficult, they’ll generally take the easy route.

So, which is easier: going out into the world to try to find monsters, or sitting on your couch and running around in a virtual space to do the same? All things being equal, the option that doesn’t have you leaving your house is way easier, and I’d say that anybody who is playing the game primarily for the collection and monster battling aspects are just going to ignore Go.

I don’t think these games could exist without Pokemon’s influence, but they can’t survive in Pokemon’s presence. It’s a very weird situation.

The GO trailer gave me chills but when I saw this my heart sank

It looks almost straight out of X/Y…

So, I’ll actually just answer the old question from, like what, the second post?[quote=“Aspirety, post:2, topic:1189”]
What are your favourite Nintendo-owned game series?
[/quote]

I’ll answer this because I’m also going to post in the general gaming discussion what game series in general I like, and since there’s a lot, I thought it’d be better to just mention the stuff that doesn’t have it’s own topic there.
So:

First of: Super Mario
I generally like the 3D Platformers more than the 2D, and have played most of them. My favorite would be a tie between Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. The ones I didn’t play were the first 3 by the way.

Now, next up are several child series to Mario:

• Wario Land
    A nice spinoff, with more emphasis on collecting treasure. And Wario Land 3 actually uses the same concept that games that are otherwise classified as Metroidvanias use.

• Mario Kart and Mario Party
    Theoretically you could also put all the other Mario Multiplayer games series here, but those two are the only ones I played. And since my mother is an actual gamer ™, those games were always great for family evenings.

• Yoshi’s Island
    I’m actually not the biggest fan of these, but only because I myself am too bad at them. If I have a game I want to complete it 100%, for most of these games you have to perfect your play for the most part, since “mostly no damage” is part of this completion. But overall, good games.

• Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi
    The two RPG series. Great Humor, and, with exception of Sticker Star and arguably Paper Jam, at least a mediocre story. My favorite in terms of story is definitely Super Paper Mario, favorite in terms of gameplay is 1000 year door. For the record, I’m counting Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars here as well.

So let’s continue with stuff that doesn’t come from Mario.

The Legend of Zelda
I’m a big fan of Zelda. With the exception of 1, 2 and the CDi games I have played every single Zelda game. Favorite one 3D would be Majora’s Mask, 2D would be A Link to the Past. By the way, I’m classifying Zelda games as RPGs.

And number 3 of Nintendo’s big three:

Metroid
Haven’t played all of them yet, but enough to know that I like them. I like the concept of Metroidvanias, and the solitary exploring of the different places also gives nice atmosphere. Favorite one would be Super Metroid.

Continuing onward,

Kirby
Nice, relaxing platformers that still give enough challenge if you want to 100% them.

Next,

Golden Sun
Nice little RPG, which has music by Sakuraba. The collecting of the djinns was a nice completionist challenge, as well.

Continuing with RPGs:

Pokemon
Another big one. Was personally burned out after the fourth generation, so I passed on Black/White and Black 2/White 2, but X/Y got me back into it. I also liked the spinoff series Mystery Dungeon and Ranger. Overall, my mom is still the bigger Pokemon-Fan.

Now for a newer series:

Pikmin
I love this series and am actually considering to one day make a no death run of all three games.

Now, just to mention it:

Fire Emblem
I’ll put more to this one in the Fire Emblem topic at a later point.

Also, by extension:

Advance Wars
IntSys’ sister series to FE, has some nice music, and for the first three, very silly plot. I mean, seriously, Andy, let’s have another battle wasting soldiers’ lives after this terrible war just because it’s fun? (Also of course his infamous quote “What’s an airport?” in the middle of the first game)

So let’s hope I didn’t forget a Nintendo series I like.

tl,dr: I like most of Nintendö’s series.

2 Likes

Great list! But I’m noticing the omission of MOTHER and F-Zero :wink:

I never would have thought of Mario x RPG going well together, but Superstar Saga and Partners in Time are some of my favorite Mario games. That may have a bit to do with those being some of my first RPGs, which is now one of my favorite… genres (can you call it that?) today.

1 Like

Have you played any of the Paper Mario games?

Only Super Paper Mario, which is tons of fun (and a really nice story), but not really RPG-ish.

Still on my to-do-list of games to play, probably going to like it.

Never had any of those, played the demo of the first in Brawl, and it wasn’t quite my thing.

@Yerian Play Paper Mario or The Thousand Year Door. You’ll forget Mario and Luigi ever existed :stuck_out_tongue:
@VyseGolbez I guess my obsession with F-Zero is entirely about F-Zero GX specifically. The game is hard as balls but fantastic fun.

1 Like

I’ve had a bit of exposure to Nintendo in the past. I’m a big fan of Fire Emblem, and I’ve played a couple Mario Games and a few entries in the Legend of Zelda series. The only one I ever finished in the latter, though, was Skyward Sword. I found it hard to stay invested (or maybe I’m just lazy :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I’ve never even finished a main series Mario game. I HAVE, however, played the Mario Kart games to death and really enjoy both of the Super Smash Brothers games (though nowadays, I just play them from time to time).

Which ones do you mean? 3DS and WiiU?
(There’s actually 4 smash brothers games, technically 5)

1 Like

My bad. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve played Wii U., as well as Brawl.

1 Like

Seriously, not enough people have played Earthbound, I played it earlier this year and I thought it was great. I decided to play since I play as Ness in smash bros (mostly Project M). I’m planning to play Mother 3 soon, but first I have to beat FE Fates.

Speaking of games people don’t talk about enough, Animal Crossing is up there on my list of favorite Nintendo franchises. I’ve played every one since the gamecube version and it was always so much fun to play with friends.

1 Like

That is exactly the reason why my mom (and myself) won’t be getting Pokemon Go.

My favorite Nintendo franchise would definitely have to be smash bros. I just always loved the series and every game despite being a huge Melee and PM fanboy. I also enjoy the fire emblem series quite well due to its interesting characters and if it counts, Tomodachi life… Which I totally didn’t recreate all the little busters members in

2 Likes

My favorite Nintendo franchise would probably be the Mario franchise to some extent (there are some games from there that I don’t really enjoy but most of them are pretty entertaining) and at the same time Fire Emblem franchise. Though, I do need to play more of them but I’ve played a few but enough I guess. Though idk another one would be Kid Icarus but it is because I enjoyed Uprising, and Pokemon (I know its by Gamefreak of course)… Holy man I love to play Pokemon the mooooooost when it comes to never ending playing. ;w;

What’s your favorite Mario game?