Muv-Luv General Discussion

From what I remember no, but then again its been years since I last read it.

Iā€™ve just reached what I believe to be the halfway point or so in MLA (Start of Episode 8). Wow, that last chapter was justā€¦ wow. Excuse me while I continue readingā€¦

Edit: Early Ep8 spoilers Totally called the appearance of the 00 Unit way before it happened.

good luck

1 Like

Finished it just now. TL;DR version of the post below: It was pretty damn good, but not as good as Iā€™d hoped. Spoilers for all of Alternative, naturally.

First off, since I just went through it I guess Iā€™ll talk about the final mission and ending. I must say, I found the buildup of Operation Cherry Blossom to be quite superbly made, and the operation itself did live up to that. My main problem comes with the last stages of the operation and the subsequent ending. Sorry, but having the protagonistā€™s growth and overcoming his weaknesses be pretty much the main focus of THE ENTIRE SECOND THIRD of the story and then having him nowhere near over those weaknesses in the last mission to the point where all the other characters purposefully deceive him so he doesnā€™t compromise the mission because of itā€¦ was not nice to see. Especially with how Meiyaā€™s death scene was stretched out to I think almost ten minutes. If that scene had instead been Takeru making up his mind and just shooting immediatly, that wouldā€™ve been a great way to show how far he had come. I feel that really was a missed opportunity. I guess heā€™ll never really change after all. I still have no idea how the Susanoā€™o suddenly got all its sapped power back to make that last shot btw.

As for the whole causality conductor thingā€¦ eh. I didnā€™t care for the final explanation. Maybe itā€™s because I never got an explanation for how the space-time continuum got ripped that satisfied me. Maybe itā€™s because I expected an explanation that just clicks all the pieces together for an ultimate ā€œoh shitā€ epiphany. Maybe itā€™s because I had hoped it would include an explanation for the BETAā€™s existence in that world beyond ā€œthey came from somewhere for some reason.ā€ But mostly I think itā€™s because it just felt kinda handwaved. Like yeah, okay, Sumika was able to do that. It happened. Uh huh. Oh well. I guess Iā€™m spoiled from other VNs when it comes to great explanations for the multiple worlds plot point.

Final Episode MuvLuv was a bit too short for my taste. No idea how that world came to be, no idea where itā€™s headed. I also really, really wished for Takeru to just retain all his memories. So to me, that was not the best way to end the story. Also a bit disappointed in the lack of a Music Room.

But all that negativity aside, MLA was great. Atmospherically it was incredible, building a world with such a well-conveyed feeling of desperation and immersing the reader in it completely. It has by far the best-looking action scenes Iā€™ve ever seen in a visual novel, and it was really good at making dramatic war and battle scenes. And yet, the chapter where Takeru returns to the Extra-world is probably my overall favorite part of the entire VN because itā€™s really gripping and makes you so badly want to find out whatā€™s going on and how to stop it (too freaking bad it never got a proper satisfying explanation, but Iā€™ve gone on about that long enough). That freak accident of Sumikaā€™s was total coincidence, wasnā€™t it? ā€¦anyways. One thing MLA did wonderfully was to make the ā€˜fun timesā€™ of Extra feel nostalgic and make you invested in having Takeru get back to them. Takeru x Sumika was my OTP since forever so seeing it be the main focus was quite satisfying. Poor Extra-Meiya though. Besides that, the entire scene with Beta-Sumikaā€™s backstory was so damn well made as it simultaneously shocked me and made my immediate respect for Takeru for his reaction shoot through the roof. Finally, the OST and opening movie are amazing. The best Iā€™ve seen in quite a while.

So in the end, what can I say? I enjoyed it for sure. It was a great read. But did it live up to the hype? No, definitely not. I suppose my final impression was hindered by the high expectations I had of the storyā€™s integrity, which reaaaally isnā€™t one of MLAā€™s good points. It takes liberties that I was dying to hear an explanation for but never got one that actually satisfied me. And itā€™s not trivial details that went unexplained, itā€™s parts of the plot I was actually very invested in, which is why it bothers me as much as it does. The cast of characters was great, but not that outstanding either. Especially when it comes to development there was a lot to be desired. Donā€™t get me wrong, there was quite an amount of good character developmentā€¦ but there was the potential for so much more than that. And thatā€™s how I feel about much of MLA, and the entire thing as a whole as well. Great, but with some improvements it easily couldā€™ve been unforgettable.

Well thatā€™s that. And with that Iā€™ve finished my must-read list of visual novels. It was a busy three months.

Edit: I didnā€™t go back and choose any different choices yet. Should I?

1 Like

Depends on the type of person you are. I personally wont ever go back to it because, or do any more choices. The memories I have of MuvLuv will forever stay how I remember it. I donā€™t want to see any alternatives. Same reason why if an anime is ever made, I wont watch it.

But thatā€™s just me. If you feel that there is more to the story then go ahead, but remember. you will never feel the same way as experiencing it for the first time.

Your opinions match the general sentiment towards MLA I think. The reason itā€™s rated so high is because a lot of people gave it a 10/10, not because itā€™s objectively better than other top VNs. (I would rate CLANNAD as 11/10 or 12/10 and MLA as 10/10, but the scale only goes up to 10, so the effective score is equal to a 10/10 score. So it appears as though I would rate MLA and CLANNAD equally when I donā€™t.

I didnā€™t really like the final chapter either, I completely agree with you there ā€” Takeru hardly got any better throughout the story!! And I wasnā€™t really affected by the girlsā€™ deaths (besides Meiya) because you knew they were gonna die. And the fact that Takeru forgot everything in the new universe just made me kind of mad. Seeing Kasumi cry was touching, though.
I was satisfied by the science even if it was lolwrong, though. They mentioned several times that the G-Bombs had strange residual effects, so it wasnā€™t too much of a stretch that the G-Bombs were able to propel Sumikaā€™s consciousness to bring Takeru to the Unlimited universe. (Sort of.)

1 Like

The Muv-Luv localization kickstarter just went live!

3 Likes

It hasnā€™t even been out for an hour and weā€™re already at $120,000! I pledged $800. Hype!

Grabbed the last $300 tier~
Will be keeping an eye on my income to try and nab that TSF jacket.

2 Likes

Nabbed one as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to save as much money as possible to throw at Rewrite whenever that happens (please happen). As such, Iā€™m still undecided how much to pledge. The BETA plushie is something I was really happy to see but $140 is a bit steep for my current finances.

WRT to the VNs: Iā€™m hoping to play MLA - assuming the official English does come out eventually on Steam (2017 release still possible?) - to see what all the fuss is about.

Soā€¦I have completed Extra in double quick time, completing all routes but doing a hell of a lot of skipping, and all I can manage to say about it that at least lacrosse makes a change from baseballā€¦

Just started Unlimited and it seems much more interesting and engaging right from the off although of course you need to have got through Extra to fully appreciate that.

Quite honestly, I did not find the side girl routes particularly good, with the exception of class repā€™s. It gives you a taste of what Muv-Luv is really good at: Intense drama that persists over an extended period of time, never letting the reader off the hook easily. The main girl routes, however, were certainly enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the game also shows its bad side during Extra, like that disgustingly unnecessary and mood-breaking panty shot during the date with Sumika.

As for Unlimited, it can get pretty repetetive. But itā€™s not like you have to get through every single ā€œrouteā€ā€¦

Now, for the most important question, @BotanRugbyBall :
Sumika or Meiya?

Put me on the spot, why donā€™t you :wink:

Not easy, if I had to choose one based on Extra then probably Meiya - but Iā€™ll have one of each please :relaxed:

Sorry that is the wrong answer. Even if you only look at Extra, Sumika was always, is always, and will forever be best MuvLuv girl.

1 Like

What can I say? I have a thing about blue & purple haired girls!

Edited to add: Didnā€™t realise there is a trailer for MLA on Steam but itā€™s taken a helluva time since being greenlit already.

(Video has spoilers apparently)

EDIT #2
Right, well now I have finished Unlimited and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It feels much leaner than Extra with a strong narrative, and while Extra is clearly meant to major on the light and fun, the fun parts in Unlimited for me were more satisfying. Competed all endings and got all the Steam achievements, about 40 hours all told for the two parts.

I did like the shock of the new element and that it links back to Yuukoā€™s theory in Extra which seemed like a throwaway thing at the time. I did like that Takeru was basically pretty useless at the start of Unlimited, makes a change from some all powerful protagonist such as Grisaia. I think Iā€™d actually pick Yuuko Sensei as best girl closely followed by Kasumi! Idid have the awkward feeling that Sumika was the brain thingy :scream:

Itā€™s a shame the two games are lumped together in a way as I would give Extra 5.5 and Unlimited 7.5 which means a slightly misleading 6.5 for VNDB voting. It doesnā€™t make my top tier of VNs but Iā€™m glad I spent the money on it albeit cheap in the winter sale.

Negatives
I liked Ayamine in Extra but her character was for me very dull in Unlimited.
Fanservice (even in Steam version) - especially the ridiculous bodyform female armour

1 Like

Muv-Luv looks great

Muv-Luv Alternative Official English translation VN to be released on Steam 19th September

1 Like

And backers get access to a beta release~

1 Like

I have to say the first 5 chapters of MLA felt rather so-so. mainly being a retread on familiar ground of ā€˜Unlimitedā€™ for about 15 hours of reading. OK so we do get a slightly different perspective but all the music seemed to be the same, with the only extras being that we learn more about Kasumi.

Chapter 6 is definitely ramping it up though to a higher level with some revealing links back to things we didnā€™t have explained in ā€˜Extraā€™. I still donā€™t see why at this point MLA gets such high regard but I still have several chapters to go yetā€¦