Love Song General Discussion

General discussion hub for the ‘Love Song’, ‘Owari no Hoshi no Love Song’ and ‘Long Long Love Song’ series of albums. Both albums were written and composed by Jun Maeda. Love Song was sung by riya (eufonius), and Owari no Hoshi no Love Song was sung by yanaginagi. Feel free to discuss the entirety of the albums here, but please tag outside references with [spoiler] tags, providing adequate context in parenthesis. For discussion of individual songs, please use their respective forum topics (WIP).

Love Song Bookclub

Discussion Topics (Bolded topics are the ones being discussed this week of the Bookclub!)

Love Song:
1. Hajimari no Saka (The Hill of Beginning)
2. Ao no Yume (Azure Dream)
3. Hoshi Naru Ishi (The Stone That Becomes a Star)
4. Hashiru (Run)
5. Hyakunen no Natsu (Summer of a Hundred Years)
6. Bokura no Koi (Our Love)
7. Haiiro no Hane (Grey Feathers)
8. Gramophone
9. Shinwa (Myth)
10. Kooridokei (Ice Clock)
11. Orenai Tsubasa (Unbreakable Wings)
12. Soshite Monogatari ga Owaru (Thus the Story Concluded)
13. Love Song

Owari no Hoshi no Love Song (Love Song of the Closed Planet):
1. Owari no Sekai Kara (From the Closed World)
?. Kimi no Airplane (Your Airplane)
2. Futari Dake no Ark (Ark for Two of Us)
3. Killer Song
4. Flower Garden
5. Muteki no Soldier (The Invincible Soldier)
6. Kooru Yume (Frozen Dream)
7. Executioner no Koi (Executioner’s Love)
8. Toaru Kaizokuou no Kimagure (The Whims of a Pirate King)
9. Yuki no Furanai Hoshi (A Planet With No Snow)
10. Hifukiyama no Mahoutsukai (The Sorcerer of the Volcano)
11. Last Smile
12. Hero no Jouken (Hero)
13. Kono Hoshi no Birthday Song (Birthday Song for This Planet)

Long Long Love Song:
1. Bokura Dake no Hoshi (A Star Just for Us)
2. Bus Stop
3. Shousetsuka to PILOT no Monogatari (The Story of the Novelist and the Pilot)
4. Rain Dance
5. Yakusoku no Uta (Song of a Promise)
6. Kimi Dake ga Itekureta Machi (The Town Where You Alone Were There for Me)
7. tale of the tree
8. Hikari no Yukue (The Whereabouts of the Light)
9. Giniro Sekai (Silver World)
10. End of the World
11. Ushio no Tame no Komori Uta (A Lullaby for the Tide)
12. Supernova
13. Love Song no Tsukurikata (How To Write A Love Song)

Love Song Fanworks

2 Likes

I started listening to these yesterday so I could get used to listening to them before I start really paying attention to them for the book club. The biggest stand out for my casual approach so far has been Toaru Kaizokuou no Kimagure.

The imagery I have been getting, probably informed by the themes of the albums and song titles, has been reminiscent of Voices of a Distant Star for me. I get this feeling of “hope in the face of tragedy”

I have really enjoyed listening so far, the book club should be a lot of fun.

1 Like

For Love Song discussion, not Owari no Hoshi, at least not yet.

From the beginning of Love Song we see that this isn’t going to go the way a typical anime romance usually does. Far from it really. It seems that most romances in anime culture are about the chase. Basically from the “meeting at the bottom of the hill” to “The person said yes when I asked them out.” Anime romance is often like, once the couple is together, it’s happily ever after. This, however, is different. And I know Love Song isn’t an anime but Maeda could be considered an anime writer. From this we can see that Maeda wrote these love songs, not really as pleasing the audience with a cheap happy story, but rather something that makes us think: what is true love? what is a healthy relationship? when is it time to break it off? I believe Love Song serves as a contrast to Clannad’s idealistic romance.

As far as I can tell (from the first five songs), there are a few overarching themes throughout Love Song. One of the most important ones being the cycle of life with reincarnation. There are various pieces of evidence scattered around in each song that I would like to point out later.

1 Like

Love Song Cover Art

The cover art features a boy and a girl on a windy rooftop, presumably a school one (as they appear to be in school uniforms), the girl looking at the boy and the boy facing away from us. Looking at the body language of the girl, she appears to be staring longingly at the boy. One hand is by her neck (brushing hair away maybe), something people are known to do when they are in love. Yet, her other arm is across her body, acting as a “barrier” between them. This hints that she is either bashful or has doubts about her love. As she is looking directly at the boy, I assume the latter. The boy is in a more casual position, one arm hanging over the rail. As we can’t see his face, he could be looking in any direction. This sense of anonymity tells us that his feelings are unknown.

The sky in the picture is grey and blue, but most notably dull. The rooftop they are on appears to be ruined, too. There notable damage along the wall near the door, and the railing seems to be somewhat rusted as well.

So, what does this have to do with the album?

Theory time

I believe the song is the girl and the boy’s journey to find love. In falling in love and breaking up, they go on a journey of self discovery. With each song metaphorically representing an event from their relationship, the album summarizes their love.

Hill of Beginning is the end of the first arc of the girl’s story. Because she is reflecting on her life, it starts here. She hints at how their relationship played out, and how she tried to move past it.

Azure Dream is denied her confession, and how she reels from it. Lines like “I knew eternity from you words” and “I will wait for our next encounter in the future” allude to this. But why did he?

Stone that becomes a Star is the lead up to her professing her love. In spring, she finds love. She decides to “live with confidence.” In summer, she confesses. She is rejected. In winter, she closes her heart to love. She begins her quest to find herself.

Run is a question: Was it fated to be? She realizes that fate does not control her, but she still believes that she could be with him

Hundred Year Summer is her acceptance. She realizes that time moves without her, and is thankful that she had met him.

Our Love is the start from the boy’s perspective. The boy learns that the girl is flawed in some way (maybe she was traumatized by something, or has Key Aids™). He wants to love her, but her flaw gets in the way. Deep down, he realizes that it was he who was at fault; he was unable to love. This is why he rejected her.

Grey Wings is both of their attempts to overcome adversity to find love. They share a common mental block, represented by the wall. They are connected, but still are stopped by something. The boy tries to love, but fails.

Gramophone depicts the boy’s attempt from Grey Wings to fall in love with the girl. Because the girl fell in love with him, he wanted to be like her (in love). Yet he fails, and is left again with only the thought of her to drive him.

Myth is the boy dying from his affliction. In not being able to love, life has no meaning. The dream the boy had of falling in love has “disappeared along with this world.”

Ice Clock is the where it sets in for the girl that the boy died. It’s the morning after, and she is finding the strength to move on. His death has her feeling frozen in time, trying to be optimistic about the future but still reminiscing about the past. She ultimately chooses to be with him

Unbreakable Wings represents their connection. The girl commits suicide, letting her be with the boy. She chased her dream: to be with him.

Thus the Story was Concluded is the end of the story from the girl’s perspective. All she wanted was to love, even though she was flawed in some way (painful life). She accepts love as eternity, and is ok as long as it’s with the boy. In the end, she was able to love.

Love Song is the end of the story from the boy’s perspective. He knows about both of their flaws, and knows how hard it is for them to be together. He is worried that it might not work out, but he wants it more than anything. He knows that if they work together, they can make each others’ dreams come true.

This made more sense in my head so feel free to point out any contradictions. I guess I see the album as “a representation of real, possible events” and don’t take too literally. At some point I might try to figure out the literal stuff too.

3 Likes

Alright guys now that we’re finishing up with the first album, I’d like to open a discussion: which are your top 3 favorite songs from the Love Song album? Not necessarily musically! It can be the three that stuck to you the most; the three that had the most impact on you, or just the three most memorable! Just wanna see the range of opinions on here~

Here’s mine:

1. Kooridokei: What I love about this is the way it’s arranged… The way the lyrics merge in with how the song changes. Every turn of the clock is another change in the song, and going together with the ups-and-downs of the song is just hrrrnnnggggghh
  2. Bokura no Koi: I’m simply in love with the melody of this song; the simple piano, bundled in with the graceful voice, and the sound of the sea in the background makes it such a pleasure to listen to (even though it’s such a dark song :yahaha:)
  3. Ao no Yume: And this one wins in sheer power. Every line in the song seems to draw you more and more into the song until, by the end, you are enveloped by this huge dream of blue. Hard to explain but ees gud.
3 Likes

Finally pulled myself together to listen to some of these. I’m not done with the first album yet but so far I really like them, they’re similar to songs from the Key VNs and they fill me with Cuteness and harmony ^^ Haven’t looked at lyrics yet but I like the music.

I’ll try to compose more detailed thoughts about each individual song once I’m done with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[Love Song]

I’m trying to look at how all the songs work together in sequence. It’s kinda like analyzing the plot/pacing of a conventional story. I found that there are some pretty distinct “arcs.” Tracks 1-4 mainly establish basic information like the MC’s emotions and that the girl is dead. Tracks 5-7 give a lot more specific details, though it’s up to interpretation how many of them you believe should be taken literally. There’s a lot of focus on the couple’s childhood, and that culminates in a sort of mini arc about the girl’s death in tracks 8-9. After all that information, tracks 10-12 build upon that to tells a consecutive narrative about reconciliation and acceptance. Finally, track 13 is a form of afterword helping with details and interpretations of the previous songs. (We had Biz to do that though.) So if we illustrate the structure of these arcs, it’d be like this.

1-4: Basic information and emotions
5-7: Backstory
↳8-9: Reactions to the girl’s death
10-12: Apotheosis
13: Afterword

That’s basically a three act structure right there. It even places the central moment that decides everything two thirds in so it’s closer to where a climax would be even though it happened way earlier chronologically.

Of course, the original idea I had was to look at songs individually, so let’s do that.
Hajimari no Saka starts us off at a very normal point. There’s nothing otherworldly and we’re seemingly in modern society. Storywise, we only learn that the couple will “end” which is a very open statement. There are of course a lot of things that could be seen as foreshadowing. Emotionally the song is somber, but not necessarily anything extreme. Basically, it lays a good ground to start from.
Ao no Yume is an immediate peak in engagement. It’s faster, less logical and has a spooky ending. It also has the line about the girl never waking anymore, so she’s dead at 90% certainty.
After that we get to the part that confuses me. Both Hoshi ni Naru Ishi and Hashiru seem like songs that are building up to something. I also think the two are very similar in that they focus on a search, though Hoshi ni Naru Ishi starts giving details on the couple’s childhood. There’s nothing wrong with them both being build up, but the next song isn’t really a payoff as much as it shifts gears completely.
Hyakunen no Natsu is a lot slower and has more power in it’s vocals compared to Hashiru. As I said, this is also where we start learning about the backstory along with the next track. This and Bokura no Koi actually are very similar and work well together. They are both narratives about the two spending time together that are shown to be retrospective towards the end. I think that’s perfect because I’d argue that the entire album is retrospective. That’s kind of how death works: It’s bad to lose someone, but the worse part is how they stay dead after that. These retrospectives are of course building up to the actual death. We hear about what happened before and after, but the further we go, the closer we’re getting to that fateful moment.
Haiiro no Hane is a middle ground between the retrospective build up and disaster.
Gramophone and Shinwa is what all that build up gives us. They are far removed from the situation as if we’re avoiding the truth. However, they obviously revolve around great pain represented by the machine destroying itself and the world ending. These songs also have tons of sound going on. Shinwa in particular is a very stressful song.
Beyond that stress lies Kooridokei, a song about false acceptance and the first part of the final plot. The song leads up to a moment of realization that MC is going about this in the completely wrong fashion. That moment is what I feel is encapsulated in the next two songs. After the realization that something is wrong, we accept that the illusion is just that in Orenai Tsubasa, and then the MC learns to accept himself in the song that has way too long of a titleSoshite Monogatari ga Owaru.

So with only that little sudden transition between tracks 4 and 5, I think this is a really good engagement curve. I’m not the best at analyzing music, so maybe those who are can add something to this?

6 Likes

Wow you made my day ! I listened to the 10th track and I realised that it was my first anime ringtone !
One I had set before I even knew key . I had come across it on YouTube loved the song and now I know it was composed by the heart of key ~ jun maeda !

2 Likes

Final thoughts on Owari no Hoshi no Love Song?

Well I have thing I’m not really sure how to deal with. It’s a pretty common thing for people to criticize writings that starts drama before “the viewer has had enough time to get attached to the character(s),” right? If time is such an important factor, how can these songs work when you get a maximum five minutes per story? I’ve never thought of time as the deciding factor hence why I’m not sure how to go about handling the question.

1 Like

One thing I noticed was that all the videos open with a scene from the end of each of their songs. Gives it the feel that everything ties together in the end.

1 Like

I had been meaning to listen to Love Song for a while but the bookclub gave me the push I needed to listen to it. I really like this album but it can be really depressing to follow the characters through their grieving process. I think my favorite song is Soshite Monogatari ga Owaru.

3 Likes

In case anybody missed the Long Long Love Song stream last night, you can catch it here! It includes short previews for every song, and even full versions of a couple of them! We also got a new PV for Bokura Dake no Hoshi.

2 Likes

I enjoyed tracks 1, 9, 12, and 13. My favorite from the previews was, track 5, Yakusoku no Uta. I like the sound of the beginning, not sure how to describe it in text. It’s like she goes at a steady rhythm but drags out the second to last sound of the line.
At 52:50, I think this is how it’s stressed. (I don’t have a trained ear for this.)
Ko No U Chuu No Do Ko Ka~ De
Shi A Wa Se Ni Na Re Te Ta~ Ra

Is there anyway to buy the artwork for the Love Song albums?
Specifically Long Long Love Song, I’d really like to use some for my desktop background slideshow.

LLLS is the worst Love Song, Kumaki Anri is weak compared to the previous vocalists and a lot of the songs wash over me partially because of her, I dislike how the album just shits on the love between the characters in most of the songs(I get that it’s the point, that doesn’t mean I have to like it), I don’t see myself warming up to this one.

Supernova is best girl by a country mile in just about every aspect though.

1 Like

:umu:

The narratives are weaker across the board and the songs are super boring. I thought the album would grow on me with time, but the more I listen to it the more it feels like a bad clone of previous Love Song albums.
I do appreciate the simplistic nature of most of the songs, but it doesn’t leave a lasting impression,

[LLLS]

I felt like putting down a short list of thoughts on LLLS for future reference.

1. I liked it initially cuz it’s a poppier song, but it doesn’t do anything special, so I don’t really care to think about it much at this point.
  2. Favorite song musically and narratively. When it was previewed, it completely stole my attention for a week, and I still love it to death.
  3. This is like my top 3-4ish. I took a while after release, but I just found myself humming the song all the time. Narratively, it’s also a small but essential follow-up to Bus Stop.
  4. I refer to Rain Dance as ‘Symbolism: The Song.’ It has so much stuff. It’s mostly the lyrics that interest me, so it goes in the middle camp of I’m perfectly happy with it but won’t completely gush over it.
  5. Second favorite song. It just does all the things awesomely, can’t say much else.
  6. Listened to it a ton before release. It’s super sad but not quite at the point where I’d call it a favorite.
  7. Similar place to #6. I really can’t stand vocaloids, but with an actual singer, song’s really good.
  8. The only song that I really dislike. I haven’t tried playing it on a fancy audio setup like Biz said.
  9. I like it, not much else. The Itunes extra didn’t change much.
  10. [Copy paste what I said about #1]
  11. It’s Clannad. It’s cool, but it doesn’t feel like a part of the album.
  12. The last of the songs I simply adore. I’d want an entire song like that interlude/bridge(?) thing.
  13. I kinda zone out around the 7 minute mark if not just straight up turn it off. #12 and #13 still do a really good job harking back to all the previous tracks.

Having four tracks I really love is on par with the others, so it’s a fine addition and/or conclusion to the love song series. In the individual topics, I want to go over the literary devices that make me think this is the best presented narrative in the series, even if it’s really simple and Maeda’s done it a million times already; that might not happen until the bookclub though.

3 Likes