Little Busters! - Refrain Arc Discussion

I think Kyousuke gets attributed to a lot more than he should. He’s like a scapegoat for people who try to explain the world.

Is this mentioned during that monologue in Episode:Kyousuke or something similar? My memory of Litbus isn’t great…

June 20 for Yuiko. Was the field trip date mentioned?

2 Likes

I vaguely remember Kyousuke saying something about Yuiko being weak. I believe that it happened sometime during Yuiko’s route, but I can’t seem to find that moment by browsing through the route.

I did notice something different though. After Riki got rejected, Kyousuke was indirectly telling him to give up, while Kengo kept encouraging him and tried to get the boys to keep helping him…

1 Like

[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:122, topic:203”]
I vaguely remember Kyousuke saying something about Yuiko being weak. I believe that it happened sometime during Yuiko’s route, but I can’t seem to find that moment by browsing through the route.
[/quote]The only thing I remember in relation to characters’ impressions of her route is that she was the only character who didn’t seem cheerful after it was all over.

Difference in motives~ Kyousuke just wants to clear the regrets and get Riki to move forward. Kengo just wants to see Riki happy. They are like the two extremes of parenting. One is too forceful, and the other is too lax, but they balance each other out.

Basically, Kyousuke x Kengo

From the anime the field trip is on June 21 and Yuiko’s route repeats the 20th in the VN

1 Like

Hm, I seem to have forgotten that there was a time limit to all the routes.
But wait, wasn’t Kud’s route much longer than the field trip? Didn’t she stay a few months in Tevua before returning?
I am confuzzled

He is the main proponent, after all.

Nice observation! It’s those little things that he does that we can never neglect how Kengo cares about the group and Riki.

[quote=“Pepe, post:125, topic:203”]
But wait, wasn’t Kud’s route much longer than the field trip? Didn’t she stay a few months in Tevua before returning?I am confuzzled
[/quote]You have to keep in mind that Refrain continues under the assumption that Riki fell for Rin and not any of the other girls. Not only that, you’re talking about Kud’s route, which is not the most tightly-written of the routes. Kud should either be dead or in traumatic shock depending on her decision to return or not, and that’s assuming Kud Wafter is not canon. XP

But wait, wasn’t Kud’s route much longer than the field trip? Didn’t she stay a few months in Tevua before returning?
[/quote]I havent seen the anime, but I dont believe the VN specifies exactly how long it is. But who knows, you could have just discovered another plot hole :o

He is the main proponent, after all.
[/quote]He may be the one who seems to understand it all the best, and the one who manipulates it the most, but I whole-heartedly agree that people give him too much credit. He didnt create the world and its rules. He only knows what he knows from time after time of repeats. I think people think he’s a lot more in control than he actually is.

No, KudWaf takes place after the beach trip, so it doesnt have anything to do with this.

There’s actually quite a bit of foreshadowing in her route that comes out of nowhere. Refer to my AMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Hvd-_Pbqs

“A world which lasts endlessly. Or perhaps, a world which has already ended.”

She may not know the details, but she’s aware of the basic structure of the world.

3 Likes

Quick question about Refrain: How long is it?
Is it do-able in one sitting?
Or is something better broken up into multiples?
Also, is it nicely broken up into different “arcs”? I don’t wanna have to be trying to find a good place to stop and save for the day ><

It’s definitely something worth doing in one sitting as breaking it up might take away some of the emotion set-up beforehand.

That being said, Refrain would take you a good 5 hours or so… So prepare to reserve time for it! XD

At the worst, there are different arcs where you can stop and save :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Misuzu, post:129, topic:203”]
Quick question about Refrain: How long is it?
[/quote]On auto, it took me about six to eight hours. Worst night ever. XP

[quote=“Misuzu, post:129, topic:203”]
Is it do-able in one sitting?
[/quote]Absolutely, but I would not recommend neglecting sleep over it.

[quote=“Pepe, post:130, topic:203”]
At the worst, there are different arcs where you can stop and save :slight_smile:
[/quote]I believe Refrain is broken up into three different arcs, each with an ending theme. So you’ll know where to save.

Alright
Thank you ^^
I’ve done the entirety of the AIR arc and the final run of After Story in one sitting so I know I’m able to do long sittings of VNs cuz I completely agree that splitting it up would lessen the emotional impact
I just didn’t want to start it and it end up being extremely extremely long and me regretting the decision to do it one sitting but it sounds doable so thank you ^^

5??? I’d say around three at most!

It’s that short? O-O Planetarian is even longer than Refrain?

yh it’s kinda short but long enough to be satisfied. But I do believe some routes get an extra scene or ending after you complete refrain so that kinda makes up for it sorta somewhat.

More than that! Prologue, Episode: Masato, Episode: Kengo, Episode: Kyousuke, Episode: Little Busters, Episode: Rin, Episode: Riki, Epilogue. Eight total!

1 Like

Holy shit that’s yours, I’ve watched that thing so many times

I think you have your regrets mixed up. I can’t think of three people who had that regret.

Riki had the crash and let it control his life.
Rin couldn’t make friends and relied on her brother.
Kyousuke didn’t want to leave them behind.
Masato didn’t know what the point in life was.
Kengo didn’t allow himself to have fun.
Komari couldn’t accept death, and regretted everything leading up to death.
Kud had no place in the world. She just abandoned.
Yuiko didn’t get to experience any strong emotions.
Mio forgot her first friend, the imaginary Midori.
Haruka had nowhere to feel safe or loved.

Riki and Rin not being strong enough was the prime goal for the people who made the world. Not because of a regret, but because of a wish. The world was also born from a mix of goodwill and regret, but Riki and Rin were definitely the biggest aspect for the majority of the dreamers. The world was powered by regrets, so those regrets (including Riki and Rin’s) had to be cleared for the world to end. Riki and Rin becoming strong was just the preferred outcome, and luckily enough, their regrets were solved as a side effect to becoming stronger.

Riki and Rin may not have been a part of the group who created the world, but it doesn’t change the fact that the world will remain as long as they regret.
Essentially, Riki and Rin’s future was the catalyst. The regrets were the fuel. Riki and Rin’s future, and everyone’s regrets, are separate things. They just coincide very well.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s exactly a coincidence. As you said, Kyousuke didn’t want to leave them behind. But he knew he had to, so he wanted them to become stronger in order to face that disaster. Kyousuke’s will was the main source of the Dream World. The others’ regrets were the fuel, but Riki and Rin becoming stronger was not just a good and possible outcome, but the main goal since the beginning.

1 Like

Umm… no…

The crash happened. Only Riki and Rin were gonna make it out. Kyousuke, knowing this, regretted leaving them behind, knowing they wouldn’t be strong enough, and wished he could have made them stronger. Cue orb of light. Then he realizes there are 7 other orbs of light. Cue creation of the world. These orbs could be called regrets, they could be called wished, they basically mean the same thing because having some regret means they have the wish to change it. It could be said that the wish part was what created it and the regret is what fueled it.

I guess I assumed Kengo and Masato’s regrets were similar to Kyousuke’s, but what you said makes sense. Either way, all three of them basically come down to not wanting the Little Busters to be split up and for Riki and Rin to not be alone.

The 5 other girls have nothing to do with Riki and Rin becoming stronger. At least not at the creation of the world. It is made glaringly clear that Riki, let alone Rin, doesnt even know most of them all that well at the beginning except for as classmates. So then why would their dying wish be that Riki and Rin be stronger? And several of the girls run away from Riki in some way during their routes (Mio, Kud, Haruka). Why would they do that if their main goal was to make him stronger?

Riki and Rin do both have regrets, but they have nothing to do with the world itself until the end, when while running away from the crash, Rin creates a 9th orb of light, cue the Last Dream scene. During which Rin fully realizes her regret, but does not have it completely fulfilled: only enough to allow her to be strong enough to survive with the support of Riki. Cue hospital scene. But if you choose “It’s not enough” this is where Riki’s wish/regret finally kicks in. The world restarts again, Rin’s regret is fulfilled completely, and Riki, finally, fulfills his regret.

2 Likes