Little Busters! - Common Route Discussion

I’m now on Kud’s route, and this time making a choice not on the walkthrough I got the “Kick the Can” segment. Is this only available on Kud’s route, not sure if you can get it any other time? That was actually quite fun since I could see myself doing something this ridiculous.

2 Likes

Won’t lie, A-chan senpai Dorm head is best Girl by far…needs more screen time :naze:

4 Likes

Well I’ve finished common + Rin1 (last saturday actually) but haven’t had the time to post about it… until today :yahaha: I may have to catch up with all the new replies as well because, boy there sure are a lot of them. Real proud of the activity this Bookclub is getting :happy:

So, what did I think of common route after reading it a second time? Man I forgot just how funny it was! Yes, the humor is very much hit-and-miss (especially some of the ones involving Haru-chin, no offense), but a lot of them are quite on-point and relevant, even 10 years later. It’s the kind of humor that gets more funny the more time you spend with the characters so I think that has greatly affected how I think about it, now that I’ve read the VN once and watched the anime as well.

As for the characters, I think I may have gotten a new endearment over them. Komari is great (though I still dislike her VN sprites, honestly), Haruka is always fun, Kurugaya seems more awkward (and thus, more relatable) than before, Mio is the eternal tsukkomi, and Kud is actually not as bad as I remember her being. Actually, I find her personality the most pleasing out of all of them, ironically.

It’s also much more interesting the way that the common route portrays Riki and Kyousuke’s relationship. There’s a looooot of implied romance between the two and, regardless of how it is intended, it kind of gives a dynamic to their relationship. I can’t speak for myself, but I feel that they are in that age when they are starting to explore the essence of romantic relationships, thus making them more open. No, I’m not saying that Riki or Kyousuke have a thing for each other :nonono: However, the fact that they can see each other in that sort of relationship without outright rejecting the idea because “Nope I’m not gay” gives more dynamic as to what they really feel for each other. These two are totally dependent on each other, no matter how much or how little they realize it, and that gives so much more meaning to the Little Busters.

There’s much more I can discuss with common route in hindsight but maybe I should put that in the spoilers topic :yahaha: Spoilers are a serious crime, after all!

Hoo boy that one is a hoot. It’s one I never got during my first playthrough either. It is also one of the reasons why you should always, after finishing a route, start from the very beginning. The game is weird like that, I know.

I figure she would be pretty unbelievable because, hey, nobody is that antisocial, right?
Well I definitely think it’s possible; maybe even moreso in Japan, where a lot of people like to keep to themselves. Strangers don’t come up to you and start random discussion, so it becomes more difficult to adapt to meeting new people. just my two cents~

5 Likes

SUP PEEPS

YOU WANNA THROW DOWN?

3 Likes

I almost cried just reading this discussion. It really just makes me overflow with emotion.There is so much good stuff here; so many thoughts and opinions coming from so many people. As a veteran, it’s nearly impossible for me to compute them all.

So let me say this. I love your theories. From the ones who treat this like a mystery that can or needs to be solved, overthinking every comment, every bit of narration; to the ones who analyze each character’s personality and relationships to their fullest, even though we know oh so little at this point. I love seeing how many important things you’ve picked up on, how many unrelated things you’ve stretched to fit your mindsets, and most of all the infinite subtleties you’ve missed (and I’m very glad you’ve missed). I cannot wait to see your reactions as things develop and change the deeper you get into this story.

Two things I will stress:

1. Be open to every character and all of their interactions, especially Riki. I wouldn’t go to the extent that every line is essential, but perhaps I’d word it as “every scene is valuable". Not because you need every little part to fully understand or enjoy Little Busters, but because it is just like how every interaction you have with your own friends shapes your relationships. Riki seems to be consistently slept on in this regard, especially by newbies… and perhaps that is actually by design.
  1. That said, try your hardest to set aside your detective caps, even for a moment, and really, really enjoy these characters. The writers have done an absolutely stellar job at writing every single scene as a loveable, memorable interaction. And while the mystery is indeed one aspect of the story, this is not primarily a “mystery novel.” While it is certainly possible to happen upon a “(re)solution” to this novel, and while the execution of the foreshadowing is some of the best I have seen, the story was not written to be “solved”, it was written to be “experienced.” Not to say that you shouldn’t theorize. But you will likely have a good idea of what’s going on by the time you get there no matter what.

So really just let it all flow in and simmer inside of you. And when you’re ready (trust me, you’ll know when it’s time) do not be afraid to let everything boil over.

17 Likes

100% agreed. Speculations and theories have been nice and interesting to read, but a couple routes in now and I feel it’s important for people to take a seat back and enjoy the story the way it was written: a blast between a group of friends.

Little Busters’ worth in terms of plot analysis isn’t in its first time reads but when you go back through it with the knowledge you have and just how carefully it was included in every inconspicuous part. The journey until then, however, is just like you’d have IRL were you to have that neat group of friends by your side: you enjoy your daily life and interactions with them, suffer through worst days with them, and hopefully get back up again and return to the fun after everything is done with them once more. Again, like real life, no theories can be really made until a fateful moment where something, hell, anything does happen to spur it on.

9 Likes

Except for a freak like me who doesn’t find it all completely exhilarating and thrives more on the theories and mysteries of whys and wherefores…that’s what makes it more interesting to read for me than just a collection of scenes :help:

1 Like

I prefer the term ‘appropriated’ personally.

2 Likes

That’s, uh…

That’s like saying most of CLANNAD’s worth and interest lies solely behind the orbs of light and the illusionary world. :help:

3 Likes

But CLANNAD actually has interesting routes, so there’s more to enjoy than the mystery :smug:

1 Like

That’s our Taka. Laying the diss on the entire book club and all participants all at once!

3 Likes

Ah but you see for me that’s a false equivalence as CLANNAD “speaks to me” personally in ways that LitBus doesn’t (at least not yet).

And yes it was the orbs of light and the illusionary world that really drew me into CLANNAD in the first place

I don’t think it matters how/why any of us enjoy LitBus, and clearly for some here deeply analysing the VN and really enjoying for fun are not mutually exclusive.

I’m on Refrain now so can’t say much more here without spoilers…

2 Likes

Nobody is telling you how to enjoy LB, just a bunch of oldies are getting upset at the several people who are just grazing over the VN’s strongest and intended point in pursuit of this mystery that isn’t the focus and it’s making them upset to see this VN that is dear to them not being appreciated for its true strengths.

9 Likes

It’s less “enjoyed properly” and more that LB’s themes and story doesn’t really come across nearly as strongly if you gloss over the more “casual moments” that’ll end up mattering.

In itself I don’t mind people finding themselves curious about the mysteries and likes more, but if it comes at the cost of what makes those revelations hit as strong as they do for some people, then they’ll find themselves potentially sorely disappointed afterwards since nearly the entire LB experience depends on how attached you make yourself to the characters after witnessing time after time those regular life moments.

2 Likes

Well I understand what you are saying but for me I just didn’t get attached to the characters or the shennigans in the common route that much. I’m not suggesting it’s any kind of “fault” of the VN or the writing, just a personal thing that I’m not getting the same buzz as others do. I did enjoy going through the character routes so far and that helped a bit.

I know that will mean I don’t get as much out of it ultimately as the “true” fans; but what is, is. All the same I’m trying to be objective in my opinions and be clear when I’m being very subjective. Don’t worry, I am sure whatever I feel by the very end I’m not going to diss LitBus here or anywhere else!

3 Likes

14 Likes

Low-key spoilers for… Uhh refrain…?

I just happened to be listening to Song for Friends and this post fucking made me really goddamn sad…

2 Likes

…Shit, you’re right. The feels are coming back…!

:uee:

There’s more than one way to skin a cat though…oh wait - probably not the best metaphor for LitBus :scream_cat:

“Are you trying to hit them on purpose?!”
“Got it in one, love”

2 Likes

If you’re not attaching to the characters and the daily life, then Little Busters simply might not be for you.

6 Likes