Little Busters! Anime General Discussion

Sure, I totally agree with that. I think that the amount of episodes and the pacing they gave to the anime was pretty darn good. The only issues I had with the anime are with the direction choices.

For example, (and I am still bitter about this scene), with the “cheap tricks” scene, instead of showing Miyuki immediately as Kengo saw her, they could have kept that scene secret, as to keep the viewers in the dark and on the edge of their seat until the reveal.

Another change that I would have liked to see would have been more focus on the (refrain) looping days during Kurugaya’s adaptation, and having the viewer wonder about why it is happening. They could have even put in very subtle hints, like showing the dates on the alarm clock in Riki’s room repeat during the events of Season 1. That would’ve been pretty cool.

But then again, I’m also the guy who enjoyed Season 1 more than the Refrain adaptation, so #unpopularopinion

2 Likes

So after finish the Visual novel I’m going through the anime for the first time.

(Anime & Visual Novel spoiler)One of the things I liked was that when Komari went to Riki’s room after seeing the dead cat and going into shock in the visual novel this would either be Rin or Kurugaya, but in the anime this was merged together..

(Route comparison VN vs Anime spoiler)I felt the Komari route had less emotional impact compared to the visual novel, the visual novel goes more in depth than the anime..

I was watching a few episodes here and there when trying to get more Little Busters without wanting to dive into what route came next for me.
For now, I just want to mention that I really like how they handled the cafeteria minigame. Just lots of plates have the wrong stuff on them when they get send out, especially tons of cup jelly. That really reminded me on how that minigame usually goes when I play it - and as such, good job anime!

2 Likes

Seems like just 2 days ago Michiru Shimada, the little busters anime guionist, died.

Yeah, this is really shocking news… I really admired the work she did for the Little Busters anime in particular.

OK, so just to be clear, the complete works of LB on anime are?

Series 1
Series 2 Refrain
Ex OVA Collection

It’s very pricey for the complete set here but I might be tempted if I see a special offer or pre-owned. Reading through the comments there are some issues with the adaptation but the Clannad anime did add to my enjoyment of the story greatly so I would hope the anime could do the same…

You see, the problem with how it was received was more likely due to the things built around it, rather than the product itself in terms of which one gave more tension to people. The product itself only made people hate it more because of what things surrounded the title.

The Little Busters! Anime was in line for “Key’s next feels anime” with hype surrounding the show. The problem is, when you’re literally riding behind the CLANNAD anime series, and the Angel Beats! Series --Which both became a phenomenon in the anime industry-- you have a lot of hype surrounding you, since those 2 series literally caused more fans to recognize the Key brand, during, and even after the time it aired.

When going into the anime, people weren’t even fond of J.C. Staff handling the show itself, which causes a negative outcome (such as with the Rewrite anime being done by 8-Bit), and when it actually aired, people were disappointed. We were introduced to a bland male character who compares nothing to previous Key title protagonists, along with forced comedy that just didn’t work, and art & animation that couldn’t help save it from a negative response.

The problem with Little Busters! is the very fact that it was riding popular and well-received works, only to be a disappointment. When you compare it to other Key anime series, there’s an obvious quality drop that can be noticed straight from episode 1.

The problem after that (in my opinion) was the idea of going into Komari’s route, which wasn’t strong because it just felt very forced because of how it was handled. Then we go into Mio’s route, which is boring to say the least. I get that they were going route-to-route, but they had to choose 2 of the weakest routes in the visual novel, and couldn’t have tried to change it to make it at least more appealing. The romance being cut is also bad, since Riki never got close to any of the heroines, so when their routes were latched onto him in the anime, it just felt as though they were trying to force a Key story out of an actual Key story.

I partly blame the original source material for some of the route flaws.

Season 2 I’d say, is better, but overall makes Season 1 seem even worse. We are now going into the darkness that is Little Busters!, and get into the beef that is the drama. After a certain someone’s route that left a lingering feeling, we go into the actual Refrain segment. You see, the problem with Refrain is that you have to actually care about the characters, which, the anime failed to achieve in season 1. They were busy with the forced routes and corny jokes to give development to the Little Busters! gang as a whole. They couldn’t achieve showing the “heart” of what being in a part of the Little Busters! meant, well-enough.

Also, this is probably just me, but we got introduced to Rin, who is the most utterly worst Key heroine in existence. All anime-heroines from previous Key works have had such a significance to their respective franchises, and now, we are introduced to Key’s downfall of a heroine who gives ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the story and is only used so that there could be a romantic relationship in the show (not that the romance was good either. It was by far the worst Key has ever done in the anime-medium. That’s saying a lot because there was no romance in Planetarian). She is a useless, unappealing Key heroine who I am glad is in a story that focuses about Friendship instead of romance, because there are clearly better heroines in the story who deserve that Key-heroine pedestal.

And another thing. The music was WAY OVERUSED. Do you know how many times they used “Melancholy of a Noisy Girl”, “Tick Tock Routine”, and “Race” in season 1? They even used “Song For Friends” around 4 times in Season 2.

(Refrain ending) The ending also didn’t help Little Busters! have any significance to the Key brand in the anime industry. It was expected, and basically told viewers “Thanks for watching this anime. Buy this anime because you know you loved how we ended it. Who cares about the story, let’s just care that everyone survived this Key story out of Key magic.” Thanks for absolutely nothing. Instead of giving us an ending that will leave feelings that we can carry on into the future, you give us an ending that is always expected in the anime-medium because you don’t care for the story but only the sales and how satisfied fans will be.

People always say you need to see the first season of CLANNAD to understand After Story, since it ultimately builds up (even if After Story is what makes the series shine).
But with Little Busters!, I’d rather just tell people to watch Refrain and skip season 1. Because of the outcome of Season 2, it basically makes season 1 pointless and not needed. It would be needed if we got character development that would help Refrain, but we didn’t in the slightest.

Little Busters!, is what I would consider, the start of Key’s anime downfall (aside from Planetarian since it was excellent). It’s also what I look to when I tell people “Something can have many episodes but can still turn out mediocre if not done well. 1-Course series can do well if done right.” I’d also consider Little Busters! (like Rewrite and Charlotte), wasted Key potential. It’s clear Key has stories that can become a phenomenal in the industry, but just aren’t getting the right staff, studio, budget, nor schedule to create it. Maybe Charlotte probably wouldn’t have become that much of a phenomenon, but Little Busters! and Rewrite for sure had the chance.

And to answer your question

The Little Busters! anime can be enjoyed if you view it as its own thing, and not as another Key-anime masterpiece. Though everyone is different, so you may enjoy this a lot, even if many people might not enjoy it. I know people who like the Rewrite anime a lot for example, and it wasn’t the most well-received Key anime.

Because it suuuucked. I don’t care so much about what studio got it, but the first season of Little Busters was a technical mess. It’s not the worst thing out there, but it definitely had one of the lowest production qualities of the season.

Eh, I’d say Key never had a consistent high-point in anime, so there’s no way for there to be a downfall. Kanon '02 was bad, AIR was poorly handled but not entirely awful, Kanon '06 was decent as standalone but a poor adaptation, and Clannad was good as a standalone but not a good adaptation.

1 Like

I just got the Refrain DVD ( having completed the VN don’t feel the need to watch series 1 or the EX ). I won’t be able to join the Community Watch through but I’ll just drop any comments here about it when I catch up if that’s OK.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Let’s watch the Little Busters Anime!

Watched episodes 1 - 6 ( Kurugaya / Rin2 ) last week and all 7 of the remaining ones last night. Just as well I can’t join the community watch as I’d have just been a speechless wreck on the first time of viewing…

Just like Clannad of course there are shortcomings in the adaptation compared to the amount of depth and involvement the VN can give but this was a very emotional ride which surprised me a bit as I didn’t take to the LB! characters as much as Tomoya & Co. I still don’t intend to buy/watch the first season but the VN was relatively fresh in the memory so that was by all accounts a better thing coming from that, than what sounds like a not so well received season 1 anime.

The only slight negative for me was the overuse of the music at times, I love Lamplight/Tomoshibi but definitely got too much of a good thing here - and some scenes I think could actually have been stronger without BGM.

I have to give a shout out to the female VAs who do the character breakdowns in Clannad and LB!, some may find them a bit OTT I’m sure but if doesn’t fail to spawn the appearance of the Phantom Onion Slicer for me…

3 Likes

I think Kengo’s breakdown is notably a lot more emotional in the anime than the VN, so shoutouts to Yuusei Oda for bringing his A-game here for one more performance.

But yeah tomoshibi playing at the crash scene really killed the moment for me, ughhhhh. Whyyy would you do that, you were going so well with putting the daydream remix of boys don’t cry at the baseball duel ;;

6 Likes

Well of course I went back on this statement and got the Season 1 all the same…

I actually enjoyed watching the anime adaptation rather more than the VN, the compression of the story and simplification of it worked for me as did the humour in animation form. It isn’t however very subtle and although my recollection of the VN routes is a bit hazy it seemed to me like they pressed the hidden context in the “Secret” and the routes much more into the foreground.

I felt like they made Mio seem a bit dull whereas in the VN she was the first character and first route that perked up my interest. Komari’s story was quite well done and I warmed to Haruka much more than in the VN and found the resolution much more touching (albeit with aforementioned lowering of subtlety). Kud’s story also appealed to me more with some demystification, and I thought the baseball content was reasonably well done with the focus more on the characters than the game. They did seem to shoehorn in Kengo’s mini-arc though. The standalone episodes were fine if nothing special and without the distraction of mini-games (at which I sucked as usual and got frustrated) I was able to just sit back and let it sink in. Overuse of music was a downside as unlike the VN you can’t reduce the volume and sometimes I just felt I wanted background silence to concentrate on the dialogue.

On the whole I’m glad I had a change of mind about buying it and it was good to get a reminder of the pre-Refrain content as I’m not sure I can face replaying the 125 hours or so of it that it took in the VN!

I would still place Kanon 2006 and Clannad anime well above this and perhaps even AIR too despite its shortcomings; but above Angel Beats. However if I were to try and convince my friends to try out anime - given that they don’t have multi-region DVD player - then I’d suggest LB! before Clannad (but an R2 version of Kanon 2006 would trump that).

UPDATED
So, I doubled down on going against my word and got the EX OVA on DVD too. Quite a bit to my surprise I enjoyed Saya’s route most, it helps that it is twice as long as the other 2 and has a bit more room to breathe. It does have a very AB! feel though. I wasn’t keen on it at all in the VN but I found Saya more likeable in the anime and more enjoyable watching the dungeon crawl than playing through it. Even with the 4 epis there is much unexplained. The ending did result in wet eyeballs unlike the VN for me. Oh yes, and ‘Saya’s Song’ :musical_note:

I still can’t get on with Sasami or her story at all although the end was more touching for being animated. Kanata was my fave in the VN but felt underdeveloped here, needed more A-Chan Senpai time to develop the story but the heist was of course fun although rushed.

I do think that it would have gained from being at least 10 episodes, 1 extra for both Sasami and Kanata.

2 Likes

Yeah, I prefer Saya’s route and Saya herself in the anime more than the VN. Probably the only route I prefer in the anime. I just wish the anime included the part when Saya used the machine gun to get through the dungeon.

2 Likes