List your favorite tracks from Key's OSTs

Air: Natsukage.
Now I haven’t actually gotten very far in Air yet but when I first heard Natsukage I literally just stopped, took my hand off of the mouse, and just sat there for 5 whole minutes. I just let it play over and over cuz it’s goooooood.

Clannad + After Story: Nagisa Warm aka (maybe spoiler?) Farewell at the Foot of the Hill Memento Ver.
Now technically this isn’t actually from the original, but it does play in the anime so ayy. I just really love the scene where it plays, in the final episode when Tomoya is sent back to the cherry blossom hill to once again meet Nagisa. There’s also The Place Where Wishes Come True II because it plays during the most powerful scene in all of anime IMO. Episode 18 flower field

Planetarian: (maybe the title of the bgm is actually a spoiler…) Farewell to Yumemi (Hoshi no Sekai Yori).
Now while Gentle Jena is very close, I have a personal reason as to why I like hoshi no sekai better, especially this version. As mentioned in the bookclub, hoshi no sekai is based off of the Christian hymn “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” As it turns out, I am Christian so I get nostalgic about the past when I used to go to a Christian school. So the song just hits two very important parts of my identity. And every time it reminds me of who I am and why am not only a Key fan, but also why I keep my faith.

Tomoyo After: Hope.
Not much to say other than dang this track is really really good.

Little Busters: Unused track; Song for Friends (instrumental).
Lol does this even count? It’s really relaxing though and the guitar riffs… Mhmm so good.

Angel Beats: Theme of the SSS.
People usually say that you will start to hate any song that you set as your alarm. I’ve had this as my alarm for like two years now and it never stops being good. It’s just so fricken epic.

Rewrite: Tabi.
MAEDAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Charlotte: Haru no Hi.
I was gonna say Kimi no Moji but that’s the ending song so I’ll go with the instrumental base version.

Harmonia: Harmonia.
I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only ones who likes Harmonia more than Tristia or Halitus. Something about it just clicks with me. I like my bgm with like a very strong wave? Idk how to describe it but to me Harmonia just feels really epic when I listen to it. Halitus is really soothing and takes the second spot for Harmonia.

3 Likes

Since I’ve got to closely listen to most of Key tracks now (except for KudWaf, AB! and Charlotte), I’d like to share mine. I did post something like this before, but my taste might have shifted, and I have a better opinion of Kanon and Clannad OSTs now. I think I’ll get killed for not including enough Maeda, but I do like his tracks.

• Kanon: Pure Snows by Shinji Orito. Haven’t played Kanon, but have watched the anime, but I really like this track’s general ambience.
  • Air: Sousei by Magome Togoshi. This always rekt me in the feels, and also just really beautiful and, the title being a reference to the Tanabata myth, tragically romantic. Runner-up is Natsukage.
  • Clannad: Shionari by Shinji Orito. The repetitive melody and the 8 beat strangely works for me; I honestly don’t know why! Runner-ups are Baka Futari. Sora ni Hikaru, and Shiryoushitsu no Ochakai.
  • Planetarian: Gentle Jena by Magome Togoshi. Everything else in this game OST-wise just didn’t do well for me.
  • Tomoyo After: Dear Old Home by Shinji Orito. This was the OST that really caught my attention in this game. Second is Hope, which I found to be really beautiful.
  • Little Busters!: Sawagashi Otome no Yuushuu by PMMK. Catchy as heck and as playful as it can get as Haruka’s theme. For the EX-exclusive, definitely Will&Wish by Shinji Orito arr. Manack. Yes.
  • Rewrite: Hinagiku by Maiko Iuchi. I really like the element of mystique in this track, which totally suits Kagari. It sounds quite like a nocturne too, which I like. Plus the feecof-high anime arrangement is adorable. Runner-ups? Almost everything else I guess.
  • Rewrite Harvest festa!: Irrigated Land by Yuuichirou Tsukagoshi, which is literally just the OST arrangement of Sasayaka na Hajimari, but I like it a lot.
  • Harmonia: Without much doubt, Terrarum by Ryou Mizutsuki. I instantly fell in love with this track the moment I got to hear it whole. Runner-up would be Oppidum. I was totes okay with it being the post-game title screen music.
2 Likes

Kanon: Afterglow

AIR: Natsukage

What’s there to say that hasn’t already been said? It’s a phenomenal piece that invokes a feeling of childish playfulness with a subtle touch of sorrow. It’s a song that feels open and free, but also lonely and confused. It’s perhaps the most representative of Maeda’s instrumental tracks, yet it also stands out from AIR’s memorable soundtrack. I love it as much as nearly everyone else does. :slight_smile:

CLANNAD: To the Same Heights

This was a difficult choice, as CLANNAD’s OST is packed with memorable songs, but I chose this one because of its placement in the story, as well as its applicability outside of the game. It’s a light piano piece like most of Maeda’s pieces, but it captures a sort of heavenly feeling, a feeling of peace and relief after so long. It’s one of the few Maeda pieces that tries to convey a sense of spirituality and satisfaction rather than sorrow or yearning. Its exceptional placement at the end of Kotomi’s route really drives this feeling home for me… ;;

Tomoyo After: Hope

Although this piece acts as the game’s title screen theme, its placement within the main story gives the feeling that this song is meant to be the main theme of the entire game. Hope is a calming, if a tad melancholy piece that is both soul-stirring and heartwarming, if not also just as sorrowful as many of Maeda’s pieces. This may be Maeda’s instrumental masterpiece for perfectly conveying the feel of Tomoyo After’s story on its own merits, as well as being a really nice new age piece that would define Maeda’s style in modern Key titles.

Planetarian: Gentle Jena

Perhaps the most memorable song in the entire novel (which is saying quite a bit because Planetarian’s soundtrack on the whole is largely forgettable), Gentle Jena captures the majesty of the stars and sucks us into the starry world Yumemi is desperate to show us. On its own merits, it feels like the kind of song you can close your eyes to and imagine the stars shining through them, your heart warming as they twinkle. It feels comfortable and peaceful, a large contrast from Maeda’s usual style. This piece is, in my opinion, Magome Togoshi’s magnum opus. It’s such a shame that he left Key after Little Busters… ._.

Little Busters: Approaching Light

Little Busters siphons a newfound energy into Key’s usual formula, which is not only apparent in the story and characters, but the music as well. Not every track is great, but quite a few stood out to me as I read the VN. Maeda in particular pulled a lot of weight in the music department, but my favorite track in the entire OST belongs to Shinji Orito’s “Approaching Light”. This song represents a strength I didn’t know Orito had as a composer; usually, his schtick is writing bouncy ‘daily life’ tracks, formulaic character themes and dramatic remixes of the game’s opening and closing themes. Approaching Light is none of those. It’s a slow, melodic piano aria that gives the impression of a distant beauty, lonely but trying to smile despite the pain. It fits Mio’s character almost perfectly, and as the first track of Little Busters I ever heard, it was a pleasant surprise to my ears. :smiley:

Kud Wafter: Hoshimori Uta

Yeah, there are some people who don’t really like Kud’s singing voice. I, however, find it rather endearing, and Hoshimori Uta is perhaps my favorite song in the OST because of it. The majority of Kud Wafter’s music is fine for what it is, but nothing really stands out save for a few tracks. Hoshimori Uta sounds like a cross between a school anthem and a lullaby (the latter of which is especially apparent if you read the lyrics). I do wish there was an instrumental version of the song present in the soundtrack, because I think the melody would fare a lot better with other people without Kud’s singing, but for what it is, I really like it. Just as much as I like One’s Future~ :smiley:

Rewrite: Scene Shifts There

This is perhaps the hardest to pick, because Rewrite’s OST is simply amazing. Many of the tracks are easy and pleasurable to listen to outside of the game, and each piece fits the situation given perfectly. I tend to go for emotional impact when it comes to music, so I sought out the background piece that left the greatest emotional effect on me even after the credits started rolling. For me, that song is Scene Shifts There. Ryou Mizutsuki is a witch of simple melodies that stir the soul and manipulate the emotions, and the placement of her songs in the game makes the scenes they feature in all the more memorable. Also, this song works pretty well in the rain. :3

Angel Beats: Memory

Simple piano melodies seem to be something of a trend in my likes, and Memory is no exception. Angel Beats is kind of the oddball of Key’s usual fare, being the first anime-exclusive Key project for a long while before the VN was announced. I haven’t heard any of the new BGM introduced in 1st Beat, but Angel Beats’ OST wasn’t really developed with the same kind of sound as previous visual novels in mind. The tracks range from shallow to complex, memorable to forgettable, and Memory kind of strikes a middleground. The melody definitely isn’t complex, but I wouldn’t say it isn’t forgettable. I couldn’t tell you where in the anime it plays, but it feels like the same deal as Hoshimori Uta. It’s simple, soft and sweet, kind of like a lullaby. I like quiet, unambitious pieces like this. It feels like a humble and honest expression of the feelings within the heart of the composer, and I listen to this often when trying to express myself through writing. Simply put, it’s a nice song.

Harmonia: Vitae

Although Harmonia’s OST is good, I’m a little torn about the usage of certain songs within the game. That being said, both Ryou Mizutsuki and Shinji Orito did a pretty good job painting the world of Harmonia with their music. The one I end up listening to the most often is Vitae, which ironically is another bouncy ‘daily life’ track. I don’t know for sure what exactly separates this track from the others of its kind. Perhaps put bluntly, it feels like a fresh start to the day. In the midst of trying to find one’s emotions, as is the case for our protagonist Rei, this song feels like he’s on the right track to discovering what those emotions are, whether positive or negative. It works really well outside of the game as well, and I think it’s the kind of music that works best on pleasant morning walks. :3

Can’t wait for whatever awaits us next when it comes to Key music! ^^

6 Likes

Kanon
Orito Shinji - 「凍土高原」 (Tundra Plateau)
Runner up: Maeda Jun - 「夢の跡」 (Remnants of a Dream)
I’ve played a bit of Kanon’s VN and didn’t like it at all…
But I absolutely love an anime adaptation of it. Probably, this is one of the rare beasts called “The Good VN Adaptation (and even better than original)”.
Toudo Kogen would be my most beloved OST from it. Personally, many Kanon’s OSTs gives me a feeling of fleeting nostalgia.
But this one goes further than that… It feels “real” to me. It has a good chemistry with snow. In the town where I live there are places where this melody would fit in perfectly. And I love it.
As for the runner up… Well, its an instrumetnal arrangement of “Last Regrets”. And as I’ve mentioned in another thread… I am deeply in love with “Last Regrets”.

Air
Orito Shinji – 「川」 (River)
Runner up: Togoshi Magome – 「双星」 (Twin Stars)
I haven’t played an original VN… But I’ve watched an anime adaptation and mostly liked it.
A bit sarcastic that Orito Shinji’s “Kawa” is my favourite here. It does sound similar to “Toudo Kougen”… and maybe thats why I like it?
I was conflicted about what melody to choose here, to be honest. And the runner up “Sousei” was very close to coming on top. But I’ve preffered a more “classic” style of Orito Shinji in the end.

Clannad
Maeda Jun - 「同じ高みへ」 (To the Same Heights)
Runners up: Orito Shinji – 「潮鳴り」 (Roaring Tide), 「月の位相」 (Phase of the Moon), and 「町、時の流れ、人」 (Town, Flow of Time, People)
And this was hard. Clannad’s OSTs are good. No, they are fantastic. Most of the melodies deserve to be called the very best…
Still, I’ve decided that the hope I feel in “Onaji Takami he” should be put on top of everything.
Orito Shinji’s “Shionari” and “Machi, Toki no Nagare, Hito” are powerful and melancholic at the same time.
Probably, if I judge by emotions inflicted alone on me by the sheer music… “Shionari” would be one of the strongest tracks by Key ever.

Little Busters!
PMMK - 騒がし乙女の憂愁 (Melancholy of a Noisy Girl)
Runners up: Maeda Jun – 「ともしび」 (Lamplight), Manack – 「降り続く雨の街で」 (In The Town of Incessant Rain), PMMK – 「少年たちとの別れ」 (Parting of the Boys) piano only ver.
I am still reading VN, but… this was unexpectedly easy.
Little Busters! have a lot of exemplar songs in it, but as far as melodies alone goes “Sawagashi Otome no Yuushuu” is the best.
Catchy rhythm and overall playfullnes… am I repeating what Hayate said before here? Oh, well.

Rewrite
Iuchi Maiko – 「深層森林」 (Deep Forest)
Runners up: Hosoi Soushi – 「ニリンソウ」 (Soft Windflower), Mizutsuki Ryou – 「散花」 (Scattered Flowers), “Scene Shifts There”
And here comes my most beloved Key’s work. Music, story, characters, everything…
It was extremely hard to pick my favourite melody in Rewrite…
But “Shinsou Shinrin” is probably the right choice. A deep melody which gives you both feelings of relaxation and strange uneasiness.
Whenever I hear it I feel like I’m staying in the middle of the forest, surrounded by green from all sides. It feels suffocating… yet comfortable.
For the runners up… “Nirinsou” was the 1st and foremost choice. I mean, I can listen to this melody all of eternity and never get tired of it. A simple yet rich melody. Kotori.
Then “Sanka” and “Scene shifts there”, which are probably also ones of the most memorable melodies in the entire Rewrite…

Rewrite Harvest festa!
Iuchi Maiko – 「愛を濯ぐ」 (Rinse Love)
Runner up: Tsukagoshi Yuuichirou – “Irrigated Land”
Funny thing. I dislike “Harvest” and love “Sasayaka na Hajimari”… yet as an instrumental arrangement I prefer “Ai wo Sosogu” more.
I have spent quite a lot of time listening to “Harvest festa!”'s OSTs. A lot of time in the game while reading the text, while translating it.
It feels like I can remind words from character’s routes where this melody played. It feels soothing. It feels rewarding.

Angel Beats!
ANANT-GARDE EYES – Theme of SSS
Runner up: Maeda Jun – “My most precious treasure”
I almost gave the 1st place to “My most precious treasure” when I’ve realised, that I prefer its vocal version much more.
So, Theme of SSS gets the 1st place in Angel Beats… I think I have a thing for a bit tragic melodies, huh?

Kanon: Yume no Ato

I’m not sure if I can really explain it too well, but to me Yume no Ato is the track that essentially is Kanon. It’s slow, not very energetic and has a rather melancholy sound, which fits in rather nicely with Kanon’s winter setting. The title invokes a sort of reverence for the past, like chasing for remnants of long lost dreams. Honorable mentions to Shoujo no Ori, but this track is just too damn good.

Clannad: Sora ni Hikaru

Of course, this track pops up in a lot of the very impactful moments of Clannad, so even just hearing the intro to this BGM is enough to get me feeling a certain kind of way. The song is just so overflowing with hope and provides such an immense feeling of catharsis when it plays at those right moments that I can’t help but easily think of it as my favorite Clannad BGM. When everything just wells up in the chorus I think it’s just about enough to make my heart skip beats. I would end up mentioning way too many tracks in an honorable mentions list for Clannad, so I’ll just leave that out :yahaha:

Tomoyo After: Dear Old Home

I had a really hard time picking between this one and Hope, but Dear Old Home’s just got that great groove that really makes me feel settled in. It’s a really comforting piece.

Honestly Gentle Jena is the only track from the original VN soundtrack that actually significantly stood out to me, but that’s really undercutting just how powerful I think it is. Gentle Jena plays in my favorite part of Planetarian, and it certainly is not a small part of why it’s my favorite moment. It’s filled with a reverence for the stars, and the song somehow strikes me as simultaneously comforting but also filled with melancholy. The moment this song plays is the moment Planetarian truly became great in my eyes, and frankly the combination of Gentle Jena and the scene as a whole is so powerful that it basically instantly shot Planetarian to being my second favorite Key VN.

Little Busters: Haruka Kanata

This is a song that still hits me right in the feelers to this day. Doesn’t matter if it’s the vocal version or the instrumental, it’s just overflowing with really raw emotion, and the song in conjunction with the scenes it plays in feels like a figurative baseball bat (haha) to the gut. Honorable mentions to Ring, Ring, Ring and Song for Friends, but the sheer power of this one really takes the cake.

Rewrite: Sanka

I’ll admit: I’m one of those people out there that’s not exactly an enormous fan of Rewrite’s soundtrack. There were maybe 4 or 5 tracks that stood out to me, but lordy does this one REALLY stand out. The various shifts in intensity throughout this song are goddamned amazing, and naturally this gets used in a lot of great moments in the VN. I almost feel like it’s too obvious a choice as a result, but man it’s just such an overwhelmingly great song that I still get goosebumps from listening to it. Honorable mention to Nirinsou.

Opinions on favorite track from VNs I’ve yet to read/finish pending

Even though I haven’t read the VN, I’ve heard the soundtrack and Natsukage is just gorgeous. I really can’t describe it any better. It’s impactful, complex and stands out as a track even when out of context.

Kanon: Yume no Ato

Well, what can I say that ThePlasticSpork hasn’t said yet… The thing I loved the most about Kanon is how it feels like a VN that takes you to a different world. It’s like the flow of time there and in real life have different paces. Kanon invites you to join that alternate world and peacefully sit and watch what everyday’s life has to offer. I feel like this piece of OST complements that feeling perfectly because of that peaceful melody that resembles the everyday life going on while snow keeps falling and covering it.

CLANNAD: Parting at the Bottom of the Hill

This piece was really intense. It starts off calmed and starts escalating up unitl the point it tears you heart appart. Of course, this effect is caused partly because it’s played at a very particular momento, but still, I love the simplicity of the melody and accompaniment and how they combine together to create a very powerful feeling.

For CLANNAD I wanted to also mention Roaring Tides, Ushio and Shining in the Sky, which were really close to winning the first spot for this particular VN.

This track is amazing. Without having started the VN you already know that shit’s gonna get real. An introduciton that feels somehow discordant, a point where the introduciton stabilizes and allows for a peaceful melody to settle in, then a strong accompaniment gets in, following that, really low strings start playing adding up tension… And finally it ends with a rather unresolved chord that at the same time gives a very relaxed ending to a piece of OST with lots of ups and downs.

Because who didn’t like this peaceful, sorrowful tone?

Little Busters: A world is born

I looked at the cover from the anime before going into the VN and I wasn’t expecting this strange and shady melody. I loved how mysterious this piece of OST sounded, even more tan others in LB. In fact, I didn’t really love many of the purely music tracks from LB. What I remember the most about it’s OST are the voiced songs.

Angel Beats: Still here

You hate Angel Beats? You hate Otonashi? You hate anything related to after-death worlds? Well, this single music track makes it worth the effort of 100% completing First Beat. The effect they accomplished combining the piano and violins and increasing the dynamics throughout the track is astounding. Everyone should listen to this and I’m sure @HeliosAlpha agrees with me on this.

Harmonia: Tristitia

Take a piano and choirs and you are all set up to create a beautiful melody able to evoke unending amounts of melancholy. The only think I don’t like about this is how once you end Harmonia they remove it from the title screen. Both this track and Hope are tracks that will prevent you from starting the actual VN during at least a week.

1 Like

Little Busters! : Exotic Toy Box
sometime when this track playing in certain scene… what i want to do just sit back and relax…
sometime it’s inspiring me
sometime it’s feel nostalgic
well… i dunno why… but that is my reason i like this track

Kud Wafter : Adagio for Summer Wind
try to take a walk when late afternoon with this song… it’s hard to be explain with word (especially with my bad english)

Angel Beats! : Unjust Life
it’s… what i can said… this track save my life back then… i almost lost everything back then… until i heard this track then “I should change whatever bad this is”

and i also like Nocturne in the afternoon , Memory(Both version) and every 2nd Generation GirlDeMo Soundtrack

Rewrite : Nirinsou
this feel relaxing… i mean… the arrangement blend perfect with the instrument… what you must have just tea and some biscuit and you lose your time
and also i like Song of passage

Harmonia : Oppidum
“The journey has begun” that word perfect describing why i like this track

1 Like

Kanon: Winter Fireworks because it cheats and is the theme of the best Ayu scenes, aka, the past.

Air: Natsukage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clannad: Distant Years cuz dat piano tho, all my dicks.

Planetarian: GENA

Little Busters!: DAY GAME is amazing and I’ll bother to explain why for the LB bookclub.

Kud Wafter: censored is a beautiful and emotional track.

1 Like

Ooooo this looks like fun!

Kanon: Zankou (Afterglow)
Very similar to Let’s Return from Little Busters!, one of my favorites. The ambiance is incredible… uhh yeah, kinda stuck on what else to say. It’s really good! Tho, almost picked Yume no Ato, before remembering this.

AIR: Pfft Natsukage, next.
(There are actually some other very good tracks on this OST tho, sad they rarely get talked about, i.e. Kaisouroku, Sousei). Actually, does Aozora count? Im going with it counting. Tie with Aozora then.

CLANNAD: Not even gonna try to pick on this one. Sorry guys, how about a top five, six… ehhh… Ushio, To the Same Heights, White Clovers, Distant Years, Country Train, Nagisa ~Farewell at the Foot of the Hill~, the list goes on. Also sorry, @cjlim2007, I don’t think Memento counts as an OST :komue:

Tomoyo After: Hope, Hope a thousand times over. I first heard Hope thanks to the Spanish vocal version called Esperanza created by Moisés Nieto for the Rebirth fan album. PLEASE check it out if you haven’t, seriously one of the most beautiful songs.

Little Busters: Unused Track 3
Really kills me not to put Boys Don’t Cry here. Or Waking Up in the Morning, or Lamplight, or Little Melody, or The World Where Nothing Happened… shiiiiiiiiiiit The World Where Nothing Happened… Ok, lets be honest: I’m putting Unused Track 3 here because Im ticked it wasn’t included in the VN.
Speaking of Moisés Nieto again btw, I really wish I could pick Bokura no Tabi for this, but alas, thats not in the OST.

Angel Beats!: Kanade
Allllllllllllllmost picked Theme of SSS, as it kinda represents all the potential I think AB has. But musically, I just think Kanade is the better piece.

Rewrito: Radiance
Rewrite has tons of very high quality tracks, and the nostalgia is still in top form for me. BUT, I remember the moment I heard this song for the first time, in Akane’s route; I remember thinking at that moment, this is my favorite track (it was a really good scene too).

Charlotte: Unused Tra- er, I mean Theme of The Rebelli- er, I mean… wait, this track actually has a name??? Its called Movement???
Yes, if you know me at all, you already know this is my favorite track. You also know that my biggest gripe against Charlotte is that it was never actually used in the show, just in a PV. Biggest waste of good music ever. Well, right after LB! Unused Track 3 being unused.

Summer Pockets: Hyakunen no Natsu v.4
Im calling it right now. It just gets better every time, you know.

2 Likes

Charlotte: Everything

Rewrite: Everything

As much as I love both the Charlotte and Rewrite soundtracks, simply saying “everything” doesn’t help. Take some time to think about it more and choose one from each of the series.

1 Like

Little Busters (and basically every other Key VNs) had such a memorable soundtrack.

My favorite insert song, and I don’t think this goes for only Little Busters but for all of the other Key VNs is Song For Friends, the lyrics just speak so much to me for some reason. At times I do find myself preferring white December mix over the original one at times since the instrumental gets really amplified at what you can call the climax of the song and it just sound so tear jerking. (I prefer Rita’s voice of course)

And then there’s I Wonder If I Will Realize It In Time, every note in the track just triggers a flag painted with a color of “you know stuff’s gonna go down”, it simply just leave a huge impression on me even after a long time.

Oh and the Rockstar versions too, somehow it seems like something that’d play in Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin. I wish some of them were played in Refrain since they just seems to describe Riki’s relationship with someone like Masato so well.

I listen to the Key soundtracks a lot so I have pretty well defined favorites so now’s the perfect time to share and see what other peoples’ are too! Here are some of my favorites with some thoughts:
Clannad:

• Ushio - Just hearing the title screen theme made me fall in love with Clannad before even starting the game, I would often sit on the title screen for like 10 minutes listening to this song on repeat before starting the game.

• Nagisa - I think this is Maeda Jun’s best musical work, I love it so much it made me start playing piano again just to learn how to play it. It’s really simple but extremely beautiful and I listen to every night as a lullaby because it’s so calming.

• Country Train - I don’t actually remember this song from the game that much but I love listening to it whenever I’m riding a train or trolley. It captures the feeling of riding a train through the countryside watching the world go by really perfectly. I also really like the interesting percussion and slightly more electronicy keyboard melody.

Little Busters:

• Day Game - This is my favorite Key BGM song of all their soundtracks, something about it is really relaxing and I feel like I can listen to it forever, I’ve listened to this song more multiple hours straight many times, but I’m really not sure why I like it. When I compare it to songs like Scattered Flowers or Nagisa it doesn’t feel as masterfully composed but something always brings me back to this song. Maybe it’s the association with the batting practice minigame that I absolutely loved from Little Busters.

• Epic Mortal Fight - This song is super fitting for the minigame it’s used in, I don’t listen to it all that much on it’s own but it really enhanced the game when it plays and I really appreciate that.

• Faraway/Song for Friends ~instrumental~: These sort of don’t count because they’re instrumental remixes of vocal tracks but I honestly like them as much if not more than the originals, they’re both amazing and super relaxing to listen to and are definitely some of my favorite Key instrumental songs.

Rewrite:

• Scattered Flowers - This song captures the emotions of the scenes when it plays so perfectly but is also incredibly beautiful to listen to on it’s own. I would love to someday when I’m better at piano to find a violinist to do a cover of this song with, the melding of the piano and the violin in the middle of the song is so beautiful, I can’t gush about this song enough it’s so good.

• Daisy - Kagari isn’t my favorite character from Rewrite but her theme fits her character so well, this song along with Scattered Flowers really exemplify what makes Rewrite’s soundtrack special to me in that they perfectly capture the emotions of the scenes when they play. I think the entire soundtrack is great at this but these two songs are the best examples. Also I was discussing this song with a friend who isn’t on here and I commented that I thought it reminded me of folk song or something and he noted that it reminded him of Greensleeves and it totally does for me.

• Rewrite instrumental - This one was used as BGM at several key scenes in the VN and when it comes on you know that some cool action is going down. Rewrite is on of my favorite Key OPs and the instrumental version is an amazing instrumental background to some of the actions scenes and it gets me super pumped up to see Kotarou to something cool.

I also really like Irrigated Land from the Rewrite Harvest Festa soundtrack which not as many people have heard and I can’t find it on youtube, but it’s really good.

I have the Kanon soundtrack too but I don’t listen to it as much and don’t remember any BGM tracks that stick out to me as much. I haven’t played Air or listened to the OST. There are so many more amazing songs from all these soundtracks but these ones are my favorites from each game. My overall top 5 are:

1. Little Busters! - Day Game

2. Rewrite - Scattered Flowers

3. Clannad - Nagisa

4. Clannad - Ushio

5. Clannad - Country Train

Even though the top 5 are stacked with Clannad, my overall favorite Key OST is Rewrite by far, there are so many good vocal tracks and the average song quality is insane in Rewrite, the other games too, but Rewrite particularly so. Also somehow I managed to get the Clannad OST in English, the Little Busters OST in romanji, and the Rewrite OST in Japanese which is a bit confusing but I think I got all the translations right.

Wow, this ended up being pretty long, I really like Key OSTs and video game/VN OSTs in general and have a lot to say about them and I’m interested what other people think too!

3 Likes

I’m here just to announce that, sorry, Hinagiku, but I think my actual favorite Rewrite OST is Yuriha, composed by Shinji Orito and arranged by Maiko Iuchi. It’s not a popular choice for a favorite track, but Yuriha just emotionally affects me so hard almost every single time I hear or listen to it. I love it so much I even attempted to transcribe it and later wrote a (slightly) elaborate blog post on Tumblr just fangirling about how nicely it was first used in the 2nd Season. I love it. NAZE DAAAAAAAA

Also, my comment on Gentle Jena was rather inadequate, so here are my thoughts. I love it so much. It was actually the one thing that made me go read Planetarian. I was slightly disappointed to find out that none of the other tracks were as good as this track. Haha. I also really adore the anime arrangement.

Nagisa / Nagisa Farewell at the Foot of a Hill - as you say simple arrangements but utterly beautiful, memorable and the tune that really IS CLANNAD

Country Train - I also love this song and it really cheers me up no end to hear it. I believe i is in the musical time sig of 6/8, the same as a jig and I can kind of imagine a version played on Irish traditional instruments - though I’ll stick with the original!

I’ll give a shout out to Distant Years too which I don’t remember in the game but is on the OST and builds wonderfully to a very optimistic ending

1 Like

I have lots of favorite OST but if I choose one from each work, I select below

Kanon: Asakage
This is just amazing, when I started playing the VN, I fell in love with the theme.
Although I have some tracks which I’m not so much like in other VN, I love whole of Kanon OST. This may be because of the synthesizer are older than other works, so it gives me more nostalgic impression, which pretty well match with the VN.

Probably, this is the most famous sound track in key and I am also fond of this track. AIR have numerous good tracks and it is difficult to choose one. However, this sound track reminds me various scenes of the game such as lonliness of Misuzu, the swealtering heat of summer, and refeshing cool breeze of sea. So I think it is represnting the game and like it best.

CLANNAD: Shionari
CLANNAD, the extremely long novel has so many tracks. The length somehow weaken the impression of each track.
But out of these this piece strongly have an impact on me. This reminds me of heart breaking story part of CLANNAD.

planetarian: Gentle Jena
This game have not so much track. Starry sky and silence are recalled from the piece.

Tomoyo After: dear old home
This is also a nostalgic piece. It strangely sounds like ‘old home’

Little Busters:Ring! RIng! RIng
LB’s OSTs show new aspect of key’s OSTs, which may be derives from enjoyable daily life of LB. This at first sounds merry melody but lately convey some anxiety and lonliness.

Kud Wafter: Adagio for Summer Wind
Another summer song.

Angel Beats: Decisive battle
This is also new to me, sounds cool.

Rewrite:旅(Tabi journey)
This track also struck my mind when I started the game. It’s just beautiful.

And I also like the name of track. Some Rewrite tracks are named after flower and terms related to plants. Tracks like 芽吹き(Mebuki Bud), 花蕾( Flower bud), which imply birth or growth of plants are used in the common route, and as the story approaches to the end, tracks like 揺葉(Yuriha), 散花, which imply death of plants, are played. And finally when the route ends, we returned to the track Tabi, which represents start of another journey. This structure symbolizes circulation of life, and somehow relates to the theme of Rewrite and thinking about this design reinforce my preference for this song. We also have to remember the arrangement of the track are used as the ED of Moon&Terra arc.

Harmonia: Oppidum
The title theme, it represents the nostalgic world. I don’t know how to call it but I basically like stringed instrument are used like this.

I should check Charlotte tracks later…

2 Likes

Kanon: Fuyu no Hanabi

Air: Natsukage
This may be my favorite Key song.

Clannad: Nagisa and Nagisa ~ Saka no Shita no Wakare
I had trouble picking a favorite from Clannad since there are so many good choices. Clannad was one of the first anime I ever watched. I loved the scene at the beginning of the first episode where Nagisa is played and the animation changes from being dark to being full of color.

This is my favorite song by far from Planetarian. I think it perfectly encapsulates the atmosphere of the story. It is beautiful but kind of sad.

Little Busters: Either Boys Don’t Cry or Song for Friends

I really like the piano in this song.

Angel Beats: Unjust Life
This song makes me want to cry every time I heart it. It always makes me think about Yuri’s speech in the classroom in episode 12

Rewrite: Tabi
I always listen to Tabi on the start screen before loading the game. I also really like Sanka, Scene Shifts There, and Radiance.

Charlotte: Katsudou Nisshi

Harmonia: Terrarum

Now I have to admit not really taking in the soundtrack at all while I played, and always just rushed through from the menu screen, but listening again to the tracks this stands out as my favourite from Tomoyo After too.

It’s just beyond beautiful - I just can’t put it any better than you have already :+1:

1 Like

Here is my list and the ratings. They were based on how it sounds and how well it matches the story:

1. Toki wo kizamu uta - Clannad Afterstory OP (10/10)
  2. Yami no kanata e - Rewrite Kotori, Lucia, Chihaya routes ED (10/10)
  3. Scattered flowers - Rewrite OST (10/10)
  4. Yuriha - Rewrite OST (10/10)
  5. Rewrite - Rewrite Moon route OP (10/10)
  6. Roaring tides - Clannad OST (10/10)
  7. Philosophyz - Rewrite VN OP (9/10)
  8. Town, Flow of time, People - Clannad OST (9/10)
  9. Ignis memory - Rewrite IM theme song (9/10)
  10. Sorrowless - Rewrite OST (9/10)
  11. Radiance - Rewrite OST (8/10)
  12. Bravely You - Charlotte OP (8/10)
  13. Tabi - Rewrite OSt (8/10)

I know there is a separate topic for OP and ED. I will explain in detail about my ratings there in the near future!

3 Likes

Kanon: Remnants of a Dream
Music box tracks are beautifully simple to me, and this particular song plays during the most memorable part of the novel for me, where (Shiori’s route spoilers) Yuuichi runs out into the night to find her, and the fountain scene afterwards. It’s a track that combines nostalgia, love, and sadness into one.

Air: Tori no Uta
This song introduced me to many things; to Key, to my love of the sky and nature, to myself. It holds a deep and special meaning to me that I simply can’t put into words. It’s my favorite track from Key and it showed me light when I was in darkness.

Clannad: Roaring Tides (I)
This is a very sad song, and it makes me swirl with emotion when I listen to it. Just remembering (Kyou’s route spoilers) her confession in the rain to Tomoya still gets to me, perhaps because it’s a moment more people including me can relate to as opposed to some Key routes. The hopeless romantic in me fantasizes what I would do for someone I love, given the chance. I love what it can do to me, how it can remind me that I’m human, and that it’s okay to cry.

Planetarian: Metronome
This track worms its way into my brain whenever I hear it, and I know I can’t fight back so I just nod my head to the happy rhythm, and think of the lively girl with the scrap bouquet.

Rewrite: Scattered Flowers
My second favorite track from all of Key’s works. When I hear it, I ask myself: “What matters to me? What will I protect?” This song is just so incredibly beautiful. Somber, simple, and emotional, it made me fall in love with Rewrite the moment I heard it. I conjure images of Sakuya and Kotarou, and it inspires me to be a better, stronger person.

Harmonia: Todoketai Melody
Ayaka’s voice is just heavenly and the melody is great too. I don’t have much else to say about this one.