Light Novel Discussion Topic

Is it best to read Bungaku Shouko in order (or do you have to read it in order may be the better question)? It sounds like something worth trying out at the least even if I don’t get to it right away.

I also read back to some of the earlier posts about the Monogatari series which I was planning to start and stumbled onto Zaregoto which has the makings of something awesome without the gore details. How much does this series focus on the actual murders? It sounds like a series about everything but the murder detail honestly so I don’t get understand the English novel naming conventions (Decapitation Kubikiri and Strangulation Kubishime Romanticist).

Since it’s a been a little while on this topic, it feels nice to have truly tried a pair of light novel series.

The first series, Isekai Smartphone (which was not that expensive), just seemed to be going into a story direction that made continuing it not feel like was worth it. It’s hard to suggest that work to other Kaza members or even avid readers even if they like the premise since there are just so many other options out there to read.

Re:Zero was started as well and I must confess that I have no idea how much of it I am going to read. I’m not sure if it is going to be read it up to a certain point and have a few volumes dropped out in the middle, or it becomes such a horror show that it gets dropped entirely, or if it is worth it to read it all.

I hope everyone else is reading something that they enjoy though!

1 Like

So, I have now finished reading Hikaru. I’ve never really gotten excited about the story or gotten attached to the characters, to be honest. Maybe it’s because I’ve been mostly reading it in-between other activities, which would make it party my own fault. Or maybe it’s simply the TL quality. After all, what I loved most about Bungaku Shoujo was the author’s oldschool writing style.

Well, Shikubu is cute, Aoi actually got some character development, Kazuaki is the king of Creeps, but he said something nice to Yu in the end. I completely forgot the existence of the Volume 5 heroine right after completing it and Tojo’s scenes are surprisingly funny. Overall, I liked the comedy.

Both in Hikaru and Bungaku Shoujo, I wished the author would foreshadow important developments more. The reveal of the last boss really came out of nowhere…

Lastly, the series is supposedly based on “The Tale of Genji” and some other Japanese work. I have not read any of the referenced books before getting into Mizuki Nomura’s stories that are based on them. With Book Girl, I could still find enjoyment despite my ignoreance and I actually felt like reading the originals eventually. For example, I ended up watching a movie adaption of “Night on the Galactic Railroad.” With Hikaru, it seemed like I may have been missing some knowledge, but it kinda didn’t make me want to read the originals…

Has anyone read the Highschool DxD LNs? I unironically liked the plot of the anime and was wondering if the books “get to the point”

I’ve only watched the first season of the anime, so I only know so much about them. I have heard they focus a lot more on delivering fanservice compared to the novels though.
Having read up to just before the last arc of the LNs so far, I’d say they’re worth the read if you enjoyed the anime. The fanservice is still wildly present, but the action and plot is pretty engaging? LNs tend to give a better view of how the characters think and the reason for their actions with easier to present monologues and such when compared to anime.

1 Like

Right now, 7 volumes of No Game No Life are officially translated and available in English, with the vol. 8 translation scheduled for the end of march 2019. But does anyone know what the actual status of the original, Japanese NGNL LN is?

Recently I started reading ‘For My Daughter, I Might Even Be Able to Defeat the Demon King’. First time when I took glance on it what I think is “ohh… this one would be children-foster parents relationship so probably gonna be wholesome” so i pick this up but it’s turn out to be much much better than that. It’s success to swing away from purely wholesome story to Union Cutting Simulation through it’s story progression.

Although some of you didn’t like another Usagi Drop(that famous manga one not the anime) development something alike, it’s definitely worth to try if you had free time.

As for list light novel(mixed with web novel release) I had read although some of it I still not finish reading it until latest volume/chapter as I didn’t much reading light novel.
https://www.mangaupdates.com/mylist.html?id=494349&list=user2

Pretty late but - According to the Japanese Wikipedia, there is currently 10 novels in the main series and 1 side story, totaling 11 volumes, as of 02/24/2018. I did check the main NGNL site a bit, but all the recent news is about the Zero movie and there doesn’t seem to be any hint of when the next volume will be released at a glance.

The author’s twitter does say they were recently released from the hospital, and there is no news of the series having ended though.

1 Like

This is not so much related to the light novel of No Game No Life but when i was about 15 i was watching No Game No Life, the saying ,“When the worst can it will,” came true. During the last game in the anime at the most inappropriate section, my brother walked in and my IPad was being slow and did not switch into the game with gestures and he saw me watching No Game No Life. The he said, “Ah, No Game No Life.” He had seen No Game No life before and i was SAVED BY THE STARFISHIES :ai: