Let's Read Japanese Visual Novels!

Well, Pepe and Biz say that AB! works on Win 10, so I sure as hell don’t know what could be the problem. I guess any details on what happens could be helpful.

i guess I figured out what’s the problem, I just need to some time to download the game again

Hey! Not much activity, but that’s to be expected. I only realized last night that there was still another CLANNAD podcast to go, so perhaps our original estimate that the bookclub would be done by March 1st was incorrect.

In any event, for those of you who began the dive into Angel Beats!, you’ve hopefully tried reading a good amount this past week or are trying this weekend. It’s OK if you didn’t understand everything (plenty of sentences only gave me a vague impression of what they were attempting to say), but I still understood the majority of it. That, in itself, is a significant step.

The main thing I noticed: I had to review grammar a ton as I read. Since this is my first exposure to actually reading stuff besides the super simple Genki sentences. "これはバナナです” is a lot different from most of what we ended up reading. Maybe this is why people say your first few Japanese books take forever to read.

Anyway, this has certainly been a learning experience that’s already borne fruit. Makes sense, since that’s how people learn languages the quickest: getting thrown into the midst of it and forced to learn then and there.

I’ll be moving on, but I’m not going to be able to say “We’ll cover Chapter X this next week!” Primarily because this doesn’t have stable checkpoints like chapters, but also because I certainly will read this slowly.

If readers are interested, I can still post where I’m at each week, and we can discuss any troublesome Japanese that we encountered en-route there or thereafter. For actual discussion of the text, please see the appropriate thread.

For this week:

I had trouble with a lot of things, to be honest, but the biggest ones were small grammar details that I missed. Most of them were caught and understood when I read back through Tae Kim and other grammar guides. That, and the many verb stems and conjugations I had to look up.

The actual story didn’t differ much from the anime, so the “context” of everything really helped me grasp the meaning of certain ambiguous statements.

Okay so it’s been two weeks and I haven’t started on this thing at all :frowning: here I thought I would have had more than enough time to read a bit, but it looks like my workload can’t handle it at the moment… That and the fact that my english VN backlog is already piling up as we speak :x

That being said, I’m gonna have to back out on this thing for now… Maybe I can catch up in the future, who knows? But hey sorry to disappoint :komue:

I wish I found this topic sooner! I would have suggested Holy Breaker, since that’s sort of Key related, plus it’s shorter and has less choices (at least I’m guessing from the price).

I COMPLETELY forgot to pick up AB when I was in Japan for Comiket D: Is this still happening? Here is a link to buy the game, in case anyone doesn’t have it yet. I’ll probably order it soon.

As it is, most people have backed out. (Actually, everyone I regularly speak to.) Nor has there been any activity.

It’s a pity, but we’ll probably have to wait until people are ready. Unless there are some out there still reading it; we can continue, in that case. Though without anyone commenting, it’s not much of a discussion, unless you just want me to monologue lol