Let's Learn Japanese!

For every French speakers : I’m currently learning Japanese with a French teacher on YouTube that I really recommend you. His name is Julien Fontanier and his channel is “Cours de Japonais”(Japanese lessons in English). He takes the time to explain everything and he is always smiling so it is a pleasure to learn Japanese taking the time I need with him. I don’t know if channels like that exist for English speakers but I have downloaded applications to learn the kana and the kanji and they can be turned into English like “Memrise”. Hope my advice will be useful to some people ! :blush:

I’ve heard the argument before (from some French classmates in Japan) that learning Japanese from a French standpoint is much easier than learning from an English standpoint. Some attribute it to English being one of the most fundamentally different languages from Japanese ever, but it’d be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

One thing for sure is that it’s easier to learn a foreign language through your native tongue, regardless of the language :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe learning Japanese from a French standpoint is easier because we have a few words in common like “pan パン”("bread "in English and “pain” in French, and French prononciation probably allows us to learn faster the Japanese prononciation.Therefore, I don’t think that much because the grammar in French is still different than Japanese’s but maybe closer than English’s? I don’t know I’m not that good in Japanese for the moment :sweat_smile:. And yes I wouldn’t even try to learn Japanese in English !:sweat_smile:

A friend sent me this, so I’ll be adding it to the list above:

https://itazuraneko.neocities.org/learn/learnmain.html

Says it’s “the only site you’ll probably need.” It has lots of guides, games, books, etc.

3 Likes

One other potentially useful source of learning grammar is Bunpro.

Unfortunately it is a paid service after the trial period, and I’m not sure if the current monthly / yearly price is temporary for this time of year, but it does seem to contain a lot of information about grammar if nothing else. You can also sort the lessons by JLPT test, Genki or Tobira inclusion, or just pick what you want to view or put into your SRS review queue. It has certainly helped me so far without being as much of an info dump as Tae Kim’s or Imabi can feel like.

One important factor of note is that it contains links to other websites (such as Tae Kim’s and locations in the Genki book) for further reading, but on occasion the smaller or more unknown sources can be contradictory.

1 Like

I didn’t realize I had something to add to this list but I do. On Android I use an app called Akebi for all my dictionary needs. It has handwriting and typing to search from Japanese to English and typing for English to Japanese. It also shows all of the conjugations for the verbs as well as allowing for searching based on an already conjugated verb. It’s probably my favorite tool for Japanese.

2 Likes

After another three weeks of learning more grammar and getting more familiar with the basics, Imabi and Bunpro seem to feel so much more helpful. This is just an FYI for anyone just starting out - perhaps getting your feet wet with Tae Kim’s guide first will be better.

Anyway, another tool that is free is called Torii. This is free and should work on desktop or Android and focuses on vocabulary. It allows you to customize what vocabulary you work with, including whether it uses kanji or not, what JLPT level it is a part of (if you would like that), and whether WaniKani teaches it or not.

1 Like

Does Torii require internet and an online account?

It requires an account so that you can register an email to it and have a way to reset your password.

However, please note that I have not truly used it yet but it does want an Internet connection at least to start. Please let me get it running and try using it and then I can easily let you know.

EDIT: It requires Java 1.8 for the desktop version and wants you to “login” each time you open it so that it knows your progress from cloud storage.