Learning the Piano

You can’t beat analogue synths for a deep and resonant bass, but sadly I don’t have it anymore - had to give it up for space.

@Mogaoscar Regarding synthesia, of course you are at the mercy of the skills/whims sometimes of whoever created the midi file, and yes often the fingering may not be correct. I’ve also seen some where they haven’t even separated into left and right hand so that it seems you have just one hand with a span of several octaves and 10 fingers!

EDITED to add:

And you can’t do this with a digital piano :haha:

This is how I started playing piano, but as @Mogaoscar mentioned, it doesn’t help with more advanced pieces; around the time I got to an intermediate playing level, I used the alternative method he brings up. Although instead of using the book I just used that style of learning for learning the technique of whatever piece of music I wanted to play. (I was really into jazz for a while, and even though I had been playing for a long time, learning the basics of jazz music by playing very easy pieces made it really easy to quickly get to the advanced ones).

Talking about good piano pieces that are accessible enough for beginners alike, I wonder why I hadn’t come up with this earlier. It’s simple, but it’s powerful. And hey it’s Re:Zero; everyone knows Re:Zero.
And look, I know there are strings in it, but even if you take them away and leave only piano, it would still work in my opinion. Maybe just add minor adjustments and it would sound great.

Does anyone have any easy songs to suggest to a complete beginner like me?

What kind of tunes do you prefer? From anime or more general? It’s always a little easier if it’s a tune you are familiar to start with, I mean that Re: Zero one I don’t know at all! Many very easy songs for beginners can be a bit dull though.

I’m looking for something which can help me get familiar with the basics. It does not have to be a certain tune

Well you could try something like a basic version of Auld Land Syne; everyone knows it, right? It’s not an exciting tune but it’s not bad to get the right hand playing the melody and the left accompanying with simple chords

Or there’s this tutorial which has the left hand just playing single notes and the right playing the chords and shows where your fingers need to go

2 Likes

I personally advise looking for course books geared for preparatory playing. I found a really good vlog discussing about good adult beginner books

Depending on your region, though, they might be quite hard to find.

1 Like

From the early part of the video:

“Alfred’s…” looks as if it’s widely available, check out Amazon (UK in my case) and you can do the look inside first

“Piano Adventures…” also looks fairly easy to find https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faber-Piano-Adventures-All-One/dp/1616773022/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509283152&sr=1-1&keywords=adults+piano+adventure

They aren’t expensive and look like good starter books

I can confirm Alfred’s is great. Used it myself; a lot of the teachers I worked with also used it. Good material, both in the individual books and the larger compiled ones (the compiled ones include more theory and other stuff, so that is better for your ‘all-in-one’; otherwise, probably best to get a separate music theory reference to learn from).

I think these kind of books depend a lot on where you live. Here in Spain, the most recommended one by teachers is in French and about 40 years old, but I doubt that you’d be able to find it outside France and surroundings. So while google searches and recommendations from people in forums like here are to be noted, I’d always try to ask someone who teaches piano in your area. If there’s a music school nearby, you can go there and ask them if they recommend any book.

Ah, good old Alfred’s. I also used it back in the days. Can confirm, it’s an easily recommendable book if you want to get serious about learning the piano.

I found this topic really interesting, as to me, the music is by far the best aspect of Key’s work and had the most impact on me. Honestly, CLANNAD was instrumental (haha) in developing a love for the piano.

I’ve been playing piano for around 7-8 years (mainly due to CLANNAD), but I recently found I wasn’t progressing fast enough. Therefore, I could not agree enough with Part 4 about taking lessons. I put it off for so long (it is expensive and requires a big commitment) but it is near impossible to get things right without an expert watching and advising as you play. For example, originally I was just playing songs by using the sheet music with audio and memorising a piece 100%. Therefore, I wasn’t actually playing by sight-reading and understanding the timing and beats of a piece of music. As a result, learning a piece took ages.

One other thing I’d say is a £200 keyboard has lasted me 8 years no problem - just make sure you get a sustain pedal.

For reference, here is a list of Key songs I am can play fluently, hopefully with the correct key signatures if anyone is interested:

Ushio (F# Major)
Onaji Takami e (E Major)
Shionari (A Minor)
Hārī Sutāfisshu (D Major)
Shiryōshitsu no Ochakai (D Major)
Nagisa (F Minor)
Shirotsumekusa (G Major)
Chiisana Tenohira (F Major)
Sora ni Hikaru (F# Major)
Toki Wo Kizamuuta Piano Arrange (G Major)
2 steps toward (B Major)

All of the above are from CLANNAD except the last one, which is from Kanon.

1 Like