Key Rough Sketches, Initial Designs and Scrapped Ideas

Kind of looks like an odd mix of Hinoue and Na-ga, with her eyes filled in she’d probably look more Na-ga.

Cute though I like it a lot not many girls with a straight cut fringe in key.

I love Yuri’s initial designs. They look… fresh? And somehow reminds me to initial Mio’s design.

Was Shiina supposed to be a man? :o

2 Likes

Is that you Naruto-kun?

1 Like

Apparently so. Says the name was 宗徳 which, going by most common readings, would be Shuutoku or Soutoku. Names can be extremely weird though take it with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

Reviving old thread as a responsible OP!

I managed to find a very old sketch from Hinoue Itaru’s self published rough sketches, “Evolution” (dated 20050605)
This girl looks so suspiciously similar to Lucia from Rewrite
(pic slight NSFW - light nudity)

5 Likes

oh yeah, the hair ribbon is sooooooo Lucia!

AWW YIS NIPPLE

That’s interesting, Hinoue was doing her ‘Rewrite’ eyes as early as 2005.

1 Like

Reviving old thread as a responsible OP!

I think at some point Hinoue was really into wings and such.
E.g. Ayu in Kanon is shown with wings in the OP, and her winged backpack.

which Naoki Hisaya wished her to remove bcoz spoilerish stuff and things, but she still insist on drawing it anyway

AIR… haha don’t get me started.

While in CLANNAD, although never made official, Hinoue did draw Nagisa with wings (yahh, for no reason I guess) in her self-published work, “Hikari”

I’m rather glad that Key never made it official, because I just had enough with wings.

Except for hot barbeque wings I guess.

What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Yeah wings are already very overdone in Key works, I’m glad they’re not as prominent now as they used to be. That said, we still have Tenshi, and Charlotte has some feather imagery in the PV…

4 Likes

If Hinoue has a wing fetish, I’m glad they brought Na-Ga in to balance that out. I don’t mind wings on characters so much, as long as they don’t use them for every single character out there. Also, as long as there’s symbolism behind it and it’s not just there to look pretty, I’m totally okay with it. With Nagisa, it kind of fits because of her innocent, childlike, and kind personality, as well as the fact that she’s rather detached from the world because of her frailness. It works in her case, but if I saw someone like Shizuru with wings, I would think Hinoue lost her mind. (Although I could see Akane with wings… :confused: )

In short, it’s really all dependent on how it fits the character and her situation. I’m perfectly fine with wings being a symbol, but not as a simple aesthetic choice.

1 Like

Tell that to Angel Beats :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, didn’t know about her thing with wings, and I guess it’s a thing that stopped after a while, heh.

Mmh, I don’t know if innocent and childlike really should be symbolized with angel wings… I mean, okay fine, kind people are like angels but we don’t have to look at the same trope over and over again, right?

If anything, in the Rewrite sketch it seems Hinoue did want to draw Kotori with wings as well… With the same pose as “Hikari” Nagisa too

In my mind I simply conclude that Hinoue just like wings.

3 Likes

tbh I’m very surprised we never got aurora wings :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Dude! That would be so sweet, and it could be on only one side for maximum badassery. I love when characters have big wings: it means they’re about to tear shit up. Key doesn’t use them in the same way though and they’re a bit tiny. There’s merchandise with a winged Kagari, but I’m not a fan

store page

I could totally see that in like… the Akane route. Do it Touka-style; An explosion of light coming out of your back.

1 Like

I think I have an idea of how aurora wings would look:

Source: http://lparchive.org/Tales-of-Symphonia/Update%2039/ ^^

9 Likes

Whoa that’s cool looking! Sasuga taka

Here’s some rough sketches of ideas of the covers of Angel Beats 1st beat:

I quite like 3 and 6, myself

5 Likes