Key Heroine Themes

Since the themes of each Key heroines are an important part of Key’s Visual Novels, I thought it would be interesting if anyone shared their favourite themes and how they can relate them to their heroines as well as their character development.
( Also please mark the heroine’s routes references with [spoiler] tags, providing adequate context in parenthesis.)
Here’s the list of Key Heroines’ Theme, correct me if I’m wrong :
~Kanon~
-Nayuki : Yuki no Shōjo
-Shiori : Egao no Mukōgawa ni
-Makoto : The fox and the grapes
-Mai : Shōjo no Ori
-Ayu : Hidamari no Machi

~Air~
-Minagi : Niji
-Michiru : Tentō Mushi
-Kano : Mizutamari
-Misuzu : Natsukage
-Kanna : Tsukiwarawa

~Clannad~
-Nagisa : Nagisa
-Kyou : Like the Wind
-Kotomi : Étude pour les petites supercordes
-Fuko : Hurry, starfish !
-Tomoyo : Her determination
-Yukine : Tea in the Reference room
-Ushio? : Ushio

~Little Busters!~
-Rin : Ring Ring Ring !
-Komari : Magic Ensemble
-Haruka : The Grief of a troubled girl
-Kud : Exotic Toybox
-Kurugaya : Hearth-Colored Capriccio
-Mio : Approaching Light
-Kanata : Will&Wish
-Sasami : Cat, Glass and the round Moon
-Saya : Run

~Rewrite~
-Kotori : Nirinsō
-Chihaya : Asagao
-Akane : Anthurium
-Shizuru : Carnation
-Lucia : Sunbright
-Kagari : Hinagiku

~Angel Beats!~
-Yuri? : Tactics
-Kanade? : Kanade

~Harmonia~
-Shiona : Cantus
-Tipi : Library

~Summer Pockets~
-Shiroha : White Loneliness
-Ao : Other side Blue
-Kamome : Adventure for Black
-Tsumugi : Golden Hours

7 Likes

My favourite themes would be Shōjo no Ori, Natsukage, Nagisa ( although I prefered Étude pour les petites supercordes before ), Ring Ring Ring!, Nirinsō, Kanade and Adventure for Black.

• Shōjo no Ori : because it shows Mai’s struggle and her fights against the demons. . When I first heard it I immediately understood that Mai would be the best girl for me. :umu:
    -Natsukage, Nagisa; Ring Ring Ring! and Kanade : just because Maeda composed them. :gold:
    -Nirinsō : this track describes an atmosphere that I adore and it fits really well Kotori’s character.
  • Adventure for Black : this song really makes me want to know who is Kamome. :flustered:

In general the character themes / leitmotivs aren’t my favourite music of the VNs and there are very few I like to listen to in their own right. Most of them I struggle even to recall.

There are ones which make me smile because they seem to fit the character so well such as Hidamari no Machi and Hurry, Starfish! The main ones which I enjoy listening to, but not so much because of associations with the character themselves and more for personal reasons are:

Natsukage
It’s such a brilliant moment when we first hear the theme and see the image. There is something that seems to capture hidden depths and a yearning for the freedom of the wind and sky.

Nagisa
A very simple theme but it just encapsulates somehow for me the essence of Clannad - even more so the Parting at the Foot of the Hill Variant. It always makes me think that this is as much about Nagisa’s story and development as it is Tomoya’s.

Tea in the Reference Room
This is a very soothing piece of music that just makes me think of relaxing with friends ( or better still Yukine! ). Yukine has a very calming presence and the theme captures that completely.

Exotic Toybox
Yes, really! This just gives me a quite a spiritual lift somehow to hear it. Given Kud’s childlike innocence (when we are introduced) we might expect something more “sentimental” or cutesy as a theme but instead it’s enthusiastic and bouncy and has enough of a Russian folk tune feel to it to convey that she is something of an outsider.

2 Likes

I used to not really like them too but their repetition made me enjoy them a lot. I didn’t want to listen Hurry, starfish ! and Hidamari no Machi or Exotic Toybox but now they make me want to dance each time I listen to them. :flustered:

1 Like

natsukage is hands down the best piece of music key has ever made. nothing can top it. it perfectly encapsulate’s the aesthetic of air as a sentimental / melancholy, bittersweet tale taking place during the summer season, as well as how transient and fleeting spending time with misuzu is. no other theme they’ve ever made for a character even comes close imo. i’m getting teary eyed just imagining it!

4 Likes

Okay before I list my favourites I’m going to give some context.

Musically speaking, character themes are generally a weird thing to consider in Key works, because generally themes are meant to be developed, or have different versions/style (like a vocal version), and in many ways I feel like this isn’t something that Key has properly taken advantage of until more recent titles. This is a really big factor of whether or not I like a character theme, since if there are multiple tracks with the same theme, then it allows that characters personality to be presented in multiple ways.

There’s also the problem of making a theme distinct. Generally, each visual novel sticks to a specific set of instrumentation for the majority of the soundtrack, which is generally fine because it makes the soundtrack consistent, but this starts to become an issue when someone starts composing a lot of tracks in a very similar style. This causes many different tracks to become unmemorable, because they sound the same as many other tracks, and I feel like some of the character themes fall into this issue. So to fix this issue, a piece would either have to be composed for using different instrumentation, or a very different style from other pieces, and when a piece does that it becomes noticeable and it’s more easily associated with a character because it is different and noticeable.

Now, onto my list:

Natsukage
As if I wasn’t going to put this piece on my list. First of all the English title (Summer Lights) captures the feeling of this piece perfectly. The section in the middle of the piece uses sustained strings with just a hint of vibrato and it really emphasises the idea of the someone feeling the suns heat coming down on them. Generally though this is just a really nice piece. To me, the way the main melody grows in parts shows that the music is working towards something, It’s been a while since I’ve seen Air so I can’t really comment on it much, but I do feel like it does capture the idea of ‘summer’, which is something that I feel captures Misuzu’s character quite well.

Nagisa
Aka the most covered and redone piece in the entirety of Key’s history. Seriously. There are so many versions of this piece all with their own unique feel - they all capture an element of Nagisa perfectly. I could rant on about each version but I’d be writing this forever so I’m just gonna talk about the main one. The original has a really nice sense of innocence and fragility to it. The nursery song like nature of the melody makes Nagisa emphasises Nagisa’s very simple and pure nature. The solo piano part makes the music feel exposed, and the synth part that plays a few seconds in only emphasises the pieces uncertain nature at this point. The piece builds and builds in terms of instrumentation, slowly becoming more confident until it reaches the chorus. At this point, the piece shows its true beauty. This is so reminiscent of Nagisa’s growth throughout Clannad. This piece tells a story which is something not many other character themes do and it only makes this piece even more special than it already is.

Étude pour les petites supercordes
One of the main reasons I like this piece is because of the instrumentation. It’s written as a string quartet, and that contrasts the nature of many of the tracks in Clannad’s soundtrack. It makes the piece stand out, which is what a character theme should do, but it also emphasises many character traits of Kotomi. Since the instrumentation is so different to the rest of the music in Clannad, it shows that Kotomi is different from the rest of society. Also, this piece captures Kotomi’s intelligence and organisation through a variety of different things such as instrumentation, harmonies and how the rhythms are generally distributed the same across multiple parts. This does a really good job at capturing the feel of Kotomi. Minor complaint - I wish the synths used were higher quality.

Magic Ensemble
Okay I’m not going to lie, if it wasn’t for Only One Magic Word, this piece wouldn’t be here. Magic Ensemble is nice, but in my opinion it’s a bit too generic and I didn’t see it as Komari’s theme until I listened to Only One Magic Word. That being said, Only One Magic Word wouldn’t exist without this theme, so I kinda have to acknowledge it. Despite my issues with the piece, the playful happy nature of it is just representative of Komari’s persistent happiness, and her urge to make other people happy. However I like Only One Magic Word more because of its fairytale like nature, which is created through the sustained strings, music box style instrumentation and writing, and a variety of different harmonies - some very simplistic and some very dissonant. I like this because not only does it create a dream like state, but it emphasises a part of Komari outside of her general happy mood. It’s also good because one of the main things about Komari’s character is her focus on fairy tales, so having this piece being written in a fairy tale style emphasises that part of her character.

Approaching Light
Contrasting the rest of the character themes in Little Busters!, this piece is very simplistic. There’s not much going on in terms of texture - many of the other character themes have several instruments simultaneously playing but this piece on features piano and strings. To me, this emphasises the mysterious ‘silent beauty’ nature of Mio - the slow tempo of the piece combined with the lack of parts and the soft instrumentation makes the listener relax and just take in the music, similarly to how one would naturally relax upon seeing something beautiful. Also similarly to Kotomi, since the instrumentation and part writing is significantly different to the rest of the character themes, it emphasises how Mio is very different from the rest of the main cast.

Golden Hours
This is probably the most folk song-esque piece I have ever heard in a Key novel and I love it. This brings back the idea of distinct character themes. As soon as this music played I instantly associated with Tsumugi because it’s so different than anything else I’ve heard in a Key novel. While I can’t be really specific with my commentary on the piece because I don’t know the character to well, to me this piece feels quite playful, but also quite strict. The constant beating of the bass drum emphasises a strict tempo, while the instrumentation and the compound time signature of the piece and the swung rhythms emphasises freedom, and I feel like both these factors play a notable role in Tsumugi’s character, but I may be wrong.

Honourable mentions:

Hurry, starfish! - Its distinct instrumentation and very playful and childish nature captures Fuko really well.

The Grief of a troubled girl - I really enjoy the quirky nature of the piece combined with the random pieces of percussion played. It emphasises the randomness of Haruka and her whimsical nature.

Sunbright - Because I love Lucia and I love the vocal version of the piece (the instrumental version less so). Also the theme is used for Lucia’s ringtone in the VN, which I think is a really nice touch.

6 Likes

Well, for me, I really do enjoy listening to the heroines themes/leitmotifs despite the fact they do overshadow by the better tracks in their respective OSTs. I’ll list the ones that I like in every series. (In no particular order)

Kanon:
Shoujo no Ori - While it is certainly repetitive, I personally like the mysterious, eerie vibes and atmosphere that the music was giving to me every time I listen to this. Also, I find it really different and isolated from the other character themes in Kanon, and it really does certainly fit with Mai’s character.

AIR:
Natsukage - I don’t think I have to explain why… :yahaha:

Niji - I’ll give Minagi’s theme an honorable mention. I can’t completely explain why I like this but I just find this music kind of catchy for me.

CLANNAD:
Like the Wind - I really like the arrangement and the upbeat melody of it and very much like Kyou’s personality. And for some reasons, it gives me energy every time I listen to it. Plus, it has a vocal version which is ‘Over’ that I really like.

Etude pour les petites supercordes - I really like how unique and catchy this track was. I also like the use of string instruments here. And like what was said earlier, it is different from the other character themes of Clannad. and it certainly reflects Kotomi’s eccentric personality.

Tea in the Reference room - I really love this one. It kinda reminds of a certain video game soundtrack that has a similar style with this one. It really makes me feel calm and just want to relax.

Little Busters!:
Approaching Light - Mio’s theme is also one of those tracks that is different and separates from the other character themes in the series. It’s really simplistic yet so beautiful, and has a sense of isolation, very much like Mio.

The Grief of a troubled girl - One of the most memorable track for me. Just hearing it will definitely remind you of a certain troublemaker girl. It’s so catchy and playful, and the random arrangements just really reflects Haruka’s personality overall.

Will & Wish - What I like about this track is that it juxtaposes Haruka’s character theme very well, much like how Kanata juxtaposes Haruka and vice versa. While Haruka’s theme shows the quirky, randomness and her playful nature, Will & Wish shows the serious nature and the sadness that Kanata has within her. It’s a good track for me.

Cat, Glass and the round Moon - Surprisingly, I like Sasami’s theme as well. It’s actually kinda sounds similar with Rin’s theme (or maybe that’s just me) but a bit mellow, I think. I can’t completely explain why I like this but it’s just so catchy for me. Plus the Glassware, which is the piano version of this is also good.

Rewrite:
Anthurium - Since I keep hearing this most of the time in the VN, I ended up liking it, plus I find it really catchy personally. It has that feeling of mysterious, yet playful vibe in it and it feels ‘at home’ and welcoming every time I hear it. And I think it fits Akane’s character.

Nirinsō - I like the atmosphere of this music. It may seem that it doesn’t fit Kotori’s happy and goof ball look and personality, but every time you hear it, you will really think that there’s more than to that smile that she shows in front of you. And you’ll get it once you get to know her more.

Harmonia:
Cantus - I have not much to say here, aside for the fact that it’s simple, cute and very orange.

Summer Pockets:
I don’t have much to say here since I haven’t read it yet, but I listened to them for awhile and I would say I’ll go for Golden Hours and Adventure for Black. I like the energy of their music especially Golden Hours, it feels sort of like a JRPG soundtrack, it’s really catchy.

2 Likes

I’m starting to realise how much I under appreciate Ring! Ring! Ring! Usually even casual music listeners can pick up a melody line quickly to sing, hum or whistle but this is a very complex piece of music; full of fast cadences, upbeat and quirky. The score must be pretty daunting to anyone unused to orchestration.

Given Rin’s love of cats, ironically the theme actually makes me think of fast moving flocks of birds or butterflies in flight, and it can be said that Rin is quite flighty or mercurial. She prefers to run away rather than confront her shyness and the cadences are rather like that alarmed flurry of wingbeats when birds or butterflies sense danger. She also has a quick temper at times - if pictorially portrayed playfully as cat like -and the tune often sounds like it could boil over into chaos.

2 Likes

It’s true that Ring Ring Ring ! is underrated although it’s easily my favourite theme from Little busters. I love how this track shows Rin’s shyness, her love for cats and how she becomes stronger thanks to the friends she found with the Little Busters. This is a piece that can give me strength and courage so I really admire Jun Maeda for that.

1 Like

I’ve only just started playing Rewrite but the instrumental version of this is awesome!

3 Likes

Since people are bringing up Sunbright now, I’d just like to say how unabashedly big a fan I am of this song. It’s definitely what helped draw me to Lucia as a character when I started playing Rewrite back then, and it still holds a big place in my heart. In a way, I quite appreciate the feel of Shinji Orito’s character songs more than that of other composers’

The vocal version of Sunbright is absolutely great and deserves more recognition (other than the ending song of one of the episodes of the anime)

I can’t quite explain it but Sunbright has a lot of the same feel as Kyou’s BGM, Sore wa Kaze no You ni; the best way I can explain it is they both feel like they were intended to be vocal songs, with the main melody of the BGM seeming to have the same structure of a typical voiced song. Coincidentally, Kyou’s BGM also has a vocal version, titled “Over” :umu:

4 Likes

My Key’s Heroine theme

1. Kanon: Shoujo no Ori, Yuki no Shoujo, The fox and the grapes
  2. Air: Niji, Natsukage
  3. Clannad: Nagisa, That’s like the wind, Étude pour les petites supercordes, Hurry, Starfish, Her Determination, Tea Party in the Reference Room.
  4. Little Busters!: Exotic Toybox, Heart-Colored Capriccio, Approaching Light, Will&Wish, Cat, Glass and the round Moon, Run
2 Likes

Wait, isn’t Ushio’s theme “Ushio”? It’s the title screen music.

Among all those themes, my favourite is definitely Tsumugi’s “Golden Hours”. It’s just so different from what Key usually offers! I love all of Key’s OST, but that folkloric track is definitely the best in my opinion! Also, it fits Mugyu so well xD.

In second position, I would put Kotori’s theme, “Soft Windflower”. That track is so “pure” (I don’t know how to describe it better, lol), it fits the ecologic side of Rewrite perfectly.

I also love Mio’s theme, Approaching Light. It just always hits my very soul.

And of course, Nagisa’s theme, which feels fun and dumb at first, but ends up being a very emotional track.

2 Likes

Thanks I did some research and I found that Ushio’s theme was Shining in the Sky, which is weird since it’s used several times in the VN and not especially for her. I didn’t think about Ushio being Ushio’s theme (which is obvious) so I’m going to change that in the description :sorry:.
P.S: I really like your choices bc I’m fond of Golden hours too, but again I love every Key Heroines’ themes in general :flustered:.

2 Likes

Okay I’m gonna throw out my argument about characters themes here. ‘Ushio’, is not the theme of Ushio, if only for the simple reason of it doesn’t play in the actual VN when Ushio is on screen (with the exception of when you finish CLANNAD and the title screen changes, but that’s such a minor thing I can’t make an argument for it). A piece of music can capture what a character represents and be titled that, but not be their theme.

The piece ‘Ushio’ does represent the character in the regards that it’s very simplistic. If you slowed the piece down it’d be similar to a lullaby which is naturally very appropriate for Ushio. That said, if you were to change that title to a different name, you wouldn’t associate it with Ushio, you’d associate it with CLANNAD’s title screen. Meanwhile, all the other character themes (minus Nagisa) use different names to their character and are still identifiable as their theme. I’d honestly associate a piece like Country Train more as Ushio’s theme since (as far as I’m aware) it only plays when Tomoya is alone with Ushio during the train journey. Now I’m not saying that is Ushio’s theme (I’d have to re-read the latter half of the After Story to make a good argument and I don’t feel like crying my eyes out for 4 hours straight at the moment but maybe later), but it gets my point across.

But for now I personally don’t think Ushio has something which can be called a ‘theme’.

3 Likes

You can take into consideration that 汐[ushio] also refers to the tide.

2 Likes

That actually really helps my case. The lullaby comparison works when the piece is slowed down, but the concept of the music representing the tide is actually more appropriate when the piece is considered at speed - it’s consistently moving between bass and treble lines during the beginning and has constant elements of rubato throughout (push and pull of the overall speed of music).

But tying it back to my previous post, if you consider the title ‘Ushio’, that has two possible things to represent, the character Ushio and meaning of the name as stated above. The thing about all of the other character themes is that the names can be tied back to something about the characters personality (E.g. ‘Hurry, Starfish!’ is clearly referencing Fuko’s love for starfish and ‘Her determination’ is clearly referencing the amount of determination Tomoyo presents by trying to achieve her goal). If we consider ‘Ushio’ to refer to the concept of the tide instead, then as far as I can remember there is nothing to associate Ushio’s character to that, so in that respect it’s even less likely it’s Ushio’s theme.

3 Likes

I hardly think it’s a coincidence that there is a music titled “Ushio” in a game where one of the most characters is named “Ushio”, xD. Key just doesn’t do coincidence.

I have to admit, I didn’t read most of the VN. I discovered it with the anime, lol. In the anime, as far as I recall, that music mainly plays during After Story (well, it’s also during the “sponsor title”, but I hardly consider it part of the episodes xD). There is also the song version of this theme (Komorebi), its lyrics are pretty much about Ushio.

That said, you’re totally right when you say a character’s theme usually plays when the character is on-screen. It’s kind of a VN standard. Looking at it this way, Ushio wouldn’t have her own theme. Then again, it just doesn’t look like Key to create a character and not give it a theme.

By the way, do main characters (I mean the boys) have their own themes? I always figured “Town, Flow of Time, People” was Tomoya’s, but I have no idea about the others.

2 Likes

My favorites:

MOON.: my favorite music of the game is Doppel-Ikumi’s Theme, I think it illustrates well the character and the game as whole, it’s dark and horrific.
Youko has also a theme that I like ( Kanuma Youko), beautiful and mysterious music like the character, the way how it is made is also interesting (it repeats a lot with a lot of variations).

ONE: Akane has technically two themes, my favorite is Rain. I can’t stop thinking of this music whenever I see rain falling IRL.
I also love Misaki’s theme ( Appearance of a Lady), it’s a very relaxing music and it just feels good to be with her thanks to that.
I like the comfy theme of Mizuka (Eight Cats) even if it’s not that great compared to the other ones.

Kanon: Mai’s theme (Shōjo no Ori), it’s a beautiful and sad theme, it fits Mai very well and it’s great.
Ayu’s theme (Hidamari no machi) is very cute and pretty, I feel like there’s a light sadness about it but it must be because of my big nostalgia for Kanon.
Nayuki’s theme (Yuki no shoujo) is almost the same, maybe less cute and more cheerful.

AIR: I love Misuzu’s theme (Natsukage), my dream is to visit Kami’s town with Misuzu while this music plays in the background. AIR is beautiful, poetic and lonely, everything that is contained in this music.

Kanna’s theme (Tsukiwarawa): I love the exclusive musics of Summer and this one as well. It’s beautiful and melancholic, I always think of the scene where’s she’s flying gracefully in the sky before disappearing when I hear this music.

Minagi’s theme (Niji) is like a music coming from a fairy tail, it doesn’t fit at all the VN, that’s why I think it fits perfectly well Minagi! Indeed, Minagi is totally out of place and her mind always seems to be elsewhere than in reality (moreover her very first appearance/CG goes very well with this music).

CLANNAD: Tomoyo’s theme (Her determination) AAAAAAAAAAAAH IT’S SO GOOD. It’s a 90’s rocking music with synth, I just love it. I love in a VN when a character has a really really good music because you’re happy every time the character appears and god damn I was happy every time when Tomoyo appeared and her theme played.
Yukine’s theme (Tea in the Reference room): this theme is like the theme of Misaki, it’s so relaxing. I’d love so much to take a coffee in the mysteriously comfy reference room with Yukine.

Nagisa Parting at the Foot of the Hill: I don’t care much about Nagisa’s theme but I love this variation that plays when Nagisa dies, the second part of the music makes me want to cry.

Little Busters: I love the happy-go-lucky theme of Komari (Magic Ensemble), it makes me want to smile and the second part is so catchy.
I really like Mio’s theme (Approaching Light) and I’ve a lot of expectations for her route (I’ve not finished the VN yet so I can’t comment much on the rest of the game). I also like Kurugaya’s theme because it’s really comfy, I don’t think it fits the character much for the moment though but I’ll see.

Summer Pockets: I’ve not read this VN yet but I love Ao’s theme (Other side Blue) the most because of the same reasons than the Tomoyo theme.

2 Likes

Well some people associated Shining in the Sky as Ushio’s theme.

2 Likes