Kazamatsuri Chorus! - Farewell Song

[Insert cool image when I get around to coming up with one]

As a part of commemorating the end of the AIR Bookclub, as well as trying something new that I’ve always wanted to attempt with all the wonderful talents here on Kazamatsuri.org- I present to you all…

OPERATION:CHORUS.

#The Kazamatsuri.org Chorus!

As the title implies, I wish for our members to come together and record themselves singing Farewell Song (yes, the full version!) to the best of their ability! I first mentioned this idea in the most recent Monthly Terra podcast- So go check it out~

When I say best, I mean best. Really put your heart into it, but don’t be discouraged! I’m here to tell you that anyone can do this if they just try a little. It’s fun! Seeing as this is to be part of the AIR commemoration project, we have a current deadline of getting all recordings to me (you can send the file to me here on the forum in a message- puush if you have to but I’d prefer it be uploaded in MP3 to Dropbox or Mega or something) by May 24th, 2015.

Seeing as I’d like this to be a pleasant as we can possibly make it, do be mindful of microphone quality and things- Minimalizing peaking and monstrous waveforms and things in your recording program of choice. If you’re not familiar with making sure your audio isn’t a mess, get with me- But I plan on posting some basic non-professional (I am NO professional) pointers in the topic in the future, alongside just generally building upon this idea and even this first project alone if we so choose.

Let’s sing together!

13 Likes

Just throw a few hundred compressors on it and it’ll be fine.

1 Like

I’ll do what I can and see if I can give you something good enough to work with. I just need to familiarize myself with the song first.

1 Like

Or equalize it once~

1 Like

Well preferably you’d use both, but, since I like to spam things, I prefer doing compress>EQ>compress. You can’t really spam EQ things without… ruining everything.

One of each is ideal, you just have to find your own settings.

Or just don’t peak and pop.

My microphone cost less than a pad of paper. Clipping isn’t a problem at all, but that compression is a charm.

Are all the members obligated to sing this? I sing really really bad, so I’m not confident… Besides I wasn’t even in the Bookclub…

1 Like

@sillylittlemelody it’s never an obligation, yo :wink:

Well, I shall do my best, then! I absolutely love farewell song, and I think it’s one of the easier songs to sing pitch-wise in the air repertoire

2 Likes

As soon as I stop coughing I’ma get on this.

New mic, no regrets, let’s gooooo!

@sillylittlemelody You don’t need to do it if you don’t want to. That said, I wouldn’t worry about how good or bad your singing is, I don’t think any of us have very high expectations for singing voices. It’s all just for fun~

Never forget.

3 Likes

Unless you’re going to master it yourself, please don’t compress, or FX, or anything at all. Let the mixing engineer do that. Just ensure that your mic and recorder have a good dynamic and give the recording a nice headroom. Use EQ to compensate, but don’t spam it. A good mic wouldn’t deviate more than 1.5dB from flat at least from 300Hz to 1kHz (the important harmonics range).

Compressor is a given for mixing engineer if done right, but it’s one of the most misused effect. Badly compressed signal is really hard to mix.

Edit:
I’m still not sure about this project. Are you supposed to provide only the vocal or complete music?

1 Like

Vocal only.

1 Like

Please keep in mind that for this kind of thing, it would be more reasonable to pick songs that people are more familiar with. The less familiar they are, the less motivation they have to actually sing it, the longer it’ll take them to memorize it and the harder it will be for them to hit the notes correctly while singing.

In the case of Air, Tori no Uta would be the obvious choice. As a general rule, the most familiar song of an anime/vn would be opening.

Alternatively, a song that’s the “easiest” to sing could be selected.

I realize that there is a reason why a particular song is chosen for a particular event, but please do try to make things easier for the participants. After all, you’re trying to encourage those who aren’t used to this kind of thing to take part in this as well.

2 Likes

Well this isn’t a live recording thing so memorization isn’t much of an issue.

Granted, yes, tori no uta is much more familiar, just that it’s so damn hard to sing

It’s not just about memorizing the lyrics. In fact, you don’t have to. You could just read those off somewhere if that was the only issue. What you do need to know by heart, however, is the timing. You can’t read off the lyrics like a book. You need to sing the right word at the right moment and in the correct way. In this regard, Farewell Song is quite difficult.

1 Like

The moment I have the house to myself, I’m going all out on this.
If I don’t get the house to myself? We’ll see if I have the courage :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Time to break out the mic, Bizkitdoh i’m sorry in advance.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, hmm you’ve got a point.

To be completely honest, though, I’ve memorized Farewell Song way more than Tori no Uta XD But that’s just me, heh

Ditto. I’d love to do something like this. If I knew the song, I’d be all over it, but I don’t, and I’m not.
Just gonna wait for a better VN to hit the spotlight.

I’d say you don’t need to remember the lyrics, but you do need to remember the words. You should be able to remember how that line was spoken, or how it was used. Nothing is worse than hearing someone string together syllables in an indistinguishable manner.

You’re the best.

You’re all the best. Woohoo!

Really, @atingf set the bar y’all. Keep 'em coming. <3

It’s no stress really. I picked Farewell Song because the people I spoke with found it the most fun and easiest of the 3 AIR songs, so it’s not that I didn’t get with people about the idea- But not to mention it’s still the ED to send us off! If people don’t want to do it, that’s fine, but I don’t see much for excuses. Do it or don’t, I’m not making demands, just asking for people to join in for something fun and try something new. If people have the passion, which is what I’m looking for, they’ll do their best and have fun- And that’s all I ask for.

All that said, I know what you’re saying, but this isn’t something I plan to really tie to much of anything outside this specific instance- But I mean no matter how you cut it singing isn’t ‘easy’ anyways, and I mean learning the song, well… Listen to it a few times and just start singing~ But yeah- Just what people come to me and want to do or whatever I feel like doing personally and sharing with others is what I’m rolling with, which makes the most sense for something that’s a once in a while fun event. This is the only one that’s got some stress on it.

4 Likes