Kaza Movie Night!

That movie looks really interesting but wow, is it long. We might need to spit that into two viewings, back to back weekends.

yea. it is very long. gives LOTR a run for the money XD

Oh, recommendations aren’t just for anime.

Let me pitch in my favourite underrated and underappreciated childhood movie.

Last time I watched this was back in 2005 so my memory of it is somewhat hazy, but I did enjoy how much the movie dedicated itself to making its characters grow and learn to look beyond greed, as far as certain characters were concerned, in favour of important relationships.

A shame barely anyone I know has ever seen this. :sad:

3 Likes

I’m not sure what kind of movies are good to watch in a group. The drama heavy ones didn’t really work. I’d wanna try any of these 3

I’ve watched Shaun of the Dead, and that movie was amazing. It’s obviously a parody of the zombie apocalypse genre, but while being an excellent parody it’s also the most engaging zombie movie I’ve ever seen (tbf it’s an incredibly dull genre). These people obviously know how to handle this kind of film, so I imagine all three are good.

5 Likes

Hmm… So, err… judging by that Chinese film I guess we can make suggestions for foreign movies as well?
Then let me nominate this classic Soviet comedy:

It is one of my most beloved and probably one of the most well-received comedies of all-time in Russia even nowadays.
I am not sure how many of you will be interested in watching it, but… well. This is a really nice one.
Also, iirc, it does have an official English-dubbed version.

And let me nominate this one masterpiece as well.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the results will be different from last time but since we’re starting Movie Nights again may as well throw up a new poll for its time. To mix things up you can only choose your 2 best times, because if you’d be free at any of the times you may as well not even vote.

The first movie night will be 4/29 or 4/30 btw.

• Saturday 18:00 UTC
  • Saturday 22:00 UTC
  • Sunday 02:00 UTC
  • Sunday 06:00 UTC

0 voters

If we go with the earliest one we may start a little after that so it doesn’t overlap with the “Let’s Strengthen Our Bonds” event

And what’s a movie night without the movie?

• Red Cliff
  • The Last Unicorn
  • Treasure Planet
  • The World’s End
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Kidnapping, Caucasian Style
  • The Professional

0 voters

Personally I’m having a lot of trouble choosing. There are a lot of great movies nominated this time.

I’ve closed the poll for the time. Since its only two hours after the sharing circle we may have to work something else out. I’m not sure if even Aspi knows how long that may go, so what do people want to do? We could start it whenever the sharing circle ends, whenever that may be, we can push it to another week, or maybe there’s something else we can do.

Also we currently have a tie for the movie. If that doesn’t change in a day or two I’ll roll a die as a tiebreaker.

I’d definitely suggest only starting once the sharing circle has ended, should it go longer than two hours. After all, we want to get our community together, not separate them over different events. Of course, just watching the next week is also possible.

Polls are closed. The movie night has to be after the sharing circle, but because I don’t want the official time to be “whenever that ends” we’ll call it 20:00 UTC, at the earliest. We very well may push this time back even more if the sharing circle, which is higher priority, demands it.

So would people rather do it at that time or push it back a week? I’m fine with either. Honestly next weekend works better for my schedule but I also thought it would be nice to have the sharing circle then a movie afterwards.

Movie was a tie so I’ll flip a coin for that later.

I’ll make a more detailed post before the movie night but I’m on mobile so this is as much as I can handle now.

Well due to me forgetting to find the movie yesterday i think we should push it to next week, to May 6th. This also means the time will be the original, 18:00 UTC.

Also the movie I rolled was Shaun of the Dead so be sure to get that before then.

I’d like this opportunity to highlight that the voting system is terrible and extremely susceptible to manipulation. The main problems are:

1. We don’t forbid voting on ones own nomination.
  2. We can only vote on a single movie.
    Having these two together is like begging for a tie. As we can see Khsell was the only one to not vote on his own film which was kind and foolish of him. If there’s no incentive to not vote on other people’s nominations, the vote will most likely only be decided by people who didn’t nominate anything; this is basically the same as depending on luck. I suggest we mend one or both of the above issues before the next vote.

Yeah this round of voting definitely showed me how bad this system is. It was fine when there’s only a few movies but it just doesn’t work when more than half the people voting suggested movies. Alone neither of those issues are terrible but together they really hampered things. I don’t think that forbidding voting for your own movie is necessary, but I’m going to allow multiple votes from now on. Thanks for drawing attention to this.

I really want to see everyone at the Hoshi no Hito movie night next weekend, but I also wanted to remind everyone that we’ll also be watching Shaun of the Dead this weekend! May 6th at 18:00 UTC is when we’re going to get together, so I hope to see some of you then too!

1 Like

Note to self: Make more notes for busy days.
Sorry, guys. I forgot about the movie night a couple of hours before start and only remembered when it was already too late :uee:

I still hope for the time change for the Movie Nights in the future… Sigh. Even 2 hours earlier would have been good for me. Well, not everything can go the way we want it to.

Earlier and then we’ll lose a lot of the Australasian members =3=

If you are talking about Planetarian night, then it is too early for me. 6 at morning.
I was talking about the “Shaun of the Dead” movie night, which was too late for me.
Don’t forget, that I am technically also a part of Asian members.

Oh. Ignore me I’m in the wrong topic lmao.

1 Like

Anyone wanna try hosting a Kimi no Na Wa or Koe no Katachi movie night?

1 Like

Interested but how do you do it?

I’d be up for that. Never seen either one.

I’ve been rewatching Code Geass with some friends using this cool little doodad called Syncplay. Might be worth looking into for movie night.

Koe no Katachi unfortunately fairly bored me when I first watched it so I’m not really interested in it, but I’d totally be down for rewatching Kimi no Na wa.